Evernote Web Clipper 6.9 released (Official Thread)

rubenb

Idea

Hi All,

I’m pleased to announce the release of Evernote Web Clipper 6.9!

The team did a great job delivering this version. Please reply to this post and let us know how you like it! And if you find an issue, please let us know in a reply to this post.

New:
  • Create a notebook directly from the notebook popover
  • Reload the notebook list from the notebook popover to fetch notebooks created elsewhere
  • Minimize web clipper panel for reading content and better previews
  • Get notified about the Evernote for Outlook add-in when visiting Outlook or Office 365

Fixes:

We fixed numerous bugs, here are the more notable ones:

• Amazon product clipping stopped working
  • Overlapping text in web clipper notes
  • "Last used notebook" option didn't always work
  • Reminder wasn't always saved when clipping to a business notebook
  • Various Safari specific bugs

Known problem:

• Web Clipper doesn't work in restored tabs after restarting Safari. Workaround: Reload tab.

Availability:

We submitted for all three browsers today: Chrome users can expect 6.9 in the next few hours. For Opera it'll take a few days. Safari users need to be a bit more patient as the review process may take a week or two.

Cheers
Ruben

45 replies to this idea

On 19/07/2016 at 9:43 AM, Tra5hman said:

Yes, on Chrome OS (ie. Chromebooks) the new 6.9 clipper is very broken.

The key problem seem to be that when the Web Clipper opens (after pressing the Clip to Evernote toolbar button) the cursor/pointer is not the usual selection pointer tool (arrow). Instead it is some sort of text highligher pointer (looks like an Insertion Tool cursor with an adjacent small yellow box).

What this means is that you cannot use the mouse pointer to select any of the choices presented by the Web Clipper, ie. you cannot use the mouse pointer to change anything such as the Clip target (Article, Simplified, Full Page etc), nor select any Organize target folder, add Tags, Remarks or change Options. Because the mouse pointer is an Insertion Tool and not the usual Pointer, clicking on any of these interface elements does nothing. You're basically stuck, unless you revert solely to keyboard control which permits some level of workaround, but who does that (or even knows how to do that?)?

At first I wondered whether this was something to do with my setup - but on Chromebooks there isn't really much you can do to alter you're setup - it's just a Chromebook after all. After reading the comments here from others I realise it is simply the new Web Clipper 6.9 that's broken on Chrome OS.

It's disappointing to see Evernote release something that's as completely broken as this is - clearly no one at Evernote has tested this on a Chromebook since the moment you press Clip to Evernote you can see that it doesn't work any longer! And then leave this useless version out there for several weeks, when the previous version worked fine.

Unfortunately, as another poster has said, Chromebook screenshots don't capture this Insertion Tool pointer that the clipper opens up with. But all Evernote staff need to is simply try this 6.9 release on Chrome OS to witness what has been described.

I'm experiencing the same problem on Chrome OS and on my Chrome browser on PC for at least a week now. Is there any timeline as to when this issue will be resolved? Or is it possible to downgrade to an earlier version of webclipper in the meantime? The tool is almost unusable at present.

Two Issues

When trying to choose what notebook to clip the note into, the scroll is extremely sensitive. It's almost impossible for me to choose the notebook I want because it always scrolls past it. I am on a new Macbook Pro 15" using Chrome - all software is updated and the newest version. 

I like to highlight articles that I clip in 'Article View' and then save it as 'Simplified Article View'. The issue is that the highlighted parts do not transfer over when you change the views. It'd be great if it could do that. I don't like highlighting in simplified view because it's not 100% accurate and it loses a lot of its readability due to articles these days having all sorts of modules embedded into the article itself. 

Would love to see these things happen. 

Thanks. :)

On 7/13/2016 at 11:08 AM, newguru said:

Since the update of the web clipper to v.6.9 (chrome), the "save to evernote" no longer displays on pdfs in onedrive. Furthermore, I cannot use it with those pdfs. 

Tested OneDrive with a PDF: OneDrive is using a web based PDF viewer, which Web Clipper isn't able to support for PDF clipping. I looked for a setting to turn it off, but didn't find it. 

2 hours ago, kyniver said:

Two Issues

When trying to choose what notebook to clip the note into, the scroll is extremely sensitive. It's almost impossible for me to choose the notebook I want because it always scrolls past it. I am on a new Macbook Pro 15" using Chrome - all software is updated and the newest version. 

I like to highlight articles that I clip in 'Article View' and then save it as 'Simplified Article View'. The issue is that the highlighted parts do not transfer over when you change the views. It'd be great if it could do that. I don't like highlighting in simplified view because it's not 100% accurate and it loses a lot of its readability due to articles these days having all sorts of modules embedded into the article itself. 

Would love to see these things happen. 

Thanks. :)

#1: You're right. It'll be fixed. Workaround: Use the up/down arrows to navigate the notebook list.

#2: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure it's possible to preserve the highlighted regions, but we'll have a look.

On 06/07/2016 at 1:26 AM, osaga said:

Same issue here in regards to the cursor with yellow square. Click the clipper icon which defaults to clip entire article. Then I can not select any text or click anything on the clipper window. Clicking does nothing.

Using Chrome in Chrome OS. This is with the 6.9 clipper. Please help. Very frustrated.

The key problem seem to be that when the Web Clipper opens (after pressing the Clip to Evernote toolbar button) the cursor/pointer is not the usual selection pointer tool (arrow). Instead it is some sort of text highligher pointer (looks like an Insertion Tool cursor with an adjacent small yellow box).

What this means is that you cannot use the mouse pointer to select any of the choices presented by the Web Clipper, ie. you cannot use the mouse pointer to change anything such as the Clip target (Article, Simplified, Full Page etc), nor select any Organize target folder, add Tags, Remarks or change Options. Because the mouse pointer is an Insertion Tool and not the usual Pointer, clicking on any of these interface elements does nothing. You're basically stuck, unless you revert solely to keyboard control which permits some level of workaround, but who does that (or even knows how to do that?)?

At first I wondered whether this was something to do with my setup - but on Chromebooks there isn't really much you can do to alter you're setup - it's just a Chromebook after all. After reading the comments here from others I realise it is simply the new Web Clipper 6.9 that's broken on Chrome OS.

It's disappointing to see Evernote release something that's as completely broken as this is - clearly no one at Evernote has tested this on a Chromebook since the moment you press Clip to Evernote you can see that it doesn't work any longer! And then leave this useless version out there for several weeks, when the previous version worked fine.

Unfortunately, as another poster has said, Chromebook screenshots don't capture this Insertion Tool pointer that the clipper opens up with. But all Evernote staff need to is simply try this 6.9 release on Chrome OS to witness what has been described.

Hey guys... in regards to the issue where at first the cursor comes up with the little yellow square. It seems this happens if the default selection type is "Article". If you set the default to something else in the Clipper settings then you can avoid this issue, but still can not clip an entire article.

19 hours ago, osaga said:

Hey guys... in regards to the issue where at first the cursor comes up with the little yellow square. It seems this happens if the default selection type is "Article". If you set the default to something else in the Clipper settings then you can avoid this issue, but still can not clip an entire article.

Hi osaga,

Unfortunately, that's not the case for me:  it doesn't matter what the default selection type is - the initial cursor/pointer always appears as the little yellow square, and all mouse pointer functionality is lost.

Thanks for trying though!

On 7/19/2016 at 10:43 AM, Tra5hman said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I use the Chrome extension, and frequently the formatting is butchered, and is not readable. I don't trust that this is going to happen correctly, so I tend to not use it because I want to know that I have a clean copy. It is often easier to "print" to pdf to ensure I get the entire article. It certainly isn't clean enough to share with clients.

Sorry if I seem naïve here, but where does the Clipper for Outlook fit in to all this?   Web Clipper add-on for Outlook won't start, won't stay enabled.    It's all very well and good to keep describing all the fine features of new releases, but if we can't get them to run, the features mean nothing.

I've seen other postings here with the same problem, but the only suggestions are to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall.

What if that doesn't work?

Guess I am a bit confused:   Evernote, Web Clipper, and Outlook Clipper are all different products, right?   So, when someone announces a new version of Web Clipper, for example, you gotta just install Evernote again to get the new version?   Or is there a place where these clipper products can be downloaded separately?

Where's the FAQ that explains all this?   :-)  

So, I got Outlook Clipper to actually install and work when starting Outlook.   I couldn't just right-click and "Install as Administrator".  I had to log out, login as an admin, THEN right-click and "Install as Administrator".   Log in as the regular user and the add-in starts with Outlook.

Likely more a Windows thing than an Evernote thing, but what do I know?

On 7/29/2016 at 11:29 AM, O*N said:

I'm experiencing the same problem on Chrome OS and on my Chrome browser on PC for at least a week now. Is there any timeline as to when this issue will be resolved? Or is it possible to downgrade to an earlier version of webclipper in the meantime? The tool is almost unusable at present.

Pease contact support for help.

On 7/27/2016 at 8:40 PM, MarathonIT said:

Guess I am a bit confused:   Evernote, Web Clipper, and Outlook Clipper are all different products, right?   So, when someone announces a new version of Web Clipper, for example, you gotta just install Evernote again to get the new version?   Or is there a place where these clipper products can be downloaded separately?

Where's the FAQ that explains all this?   :-)  

So, I got Outlook Clipper to actually install and work when starting Outlook.   I couldn't just right-click and "Install as Administrator".  I had to log out, login as an admin, THEN right-click and "Install as Administrator".   Log in as the regular user and the add-in starts with Outlook.

Likely more a Windows thing than an Evernote thing, but what do I know?

There are three different products:

1) Web Clipper (Chrome/Safari/Opera/Edge) and Firefox. Shows up the browser's toolbar and is used to clip web pages.
2) Evernote for Outlook: Add-in for Outlook. Works in Outlook Mac/Windows and the web browsers. Allows to clip email conversations and attach notes to emails you write.
3) Outlook Clipper: Works with Outlook on Windows and comes with the Evernote Windows desktop app. Functionality is similar to #2.

Is the clipper working for anyone using windows 8.1 & Chrome? It's been unusable for me since the update and as a result I've stopped clipping, making my data usage drop, so I've changed my plan from premium to plus (since the massive amount of clipping I was doing was using a lot of my data allowance).

In the end, something as silly as this could end up losing money for Evernote if it's a widespread issue. The clipper is one of the main reasons I use Evernote...so if it isn't working...

Since v6.9 I am unable to sign in to my Evernote account from the Safari web clipper. Using the latest Safari 9.1.2.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Relaunching Safari and rebooting Mac. No luck.

The clipper responds when clicking on 'Create an Evernote account' and 'Forgot password?'. Just not 'Sign In'.

Meanwhile, the Chrome web clipper has no such problem and works fine.

Very frustrating. Please can you address this issue.

On 8/9/2016 at 1:29 PM, trumpetg said:

Since v6.9 I am unable to sign in to my Evernote account from the Safari web clipper. Using the latest Safari 9.1.2.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Relaunching Safari and rebooting Mac. No luck.

The clipper responds when clicking on 'Create an Evernote account' and 'Forgot password?'. Just not 'Sign In'.

Meanwhile, the Chrome web clipper has no such problem and works fine.

Very frustrating. Please can you address this issue.

Sorry to hear. Please contact support to sort this out: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

14 hours ago, rubenb said:

Sorry to hear. Please contact support to sort this out: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Thanks very much for responding, rubenb. 

I finally found a solution from this other thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96324-my-web-clipper-stopped-working-with-10115-update/?page=2

Tobbelin's suggestion in that thread to run the cache-cleaning app Onyx fixed my problem and the clipper is running fine now.

Thank you again.

Using Clipper 6.9.2, in the latest Chrome releases on Windows & ChromeOS (The latter, which I'm using now, reports 

Version 54.0.2840.24 beta (64-bit)
Platform 8743.25.0 (Official Build) beta-channel falco
Firmware Google_Falco.4389.92.0

My problem, not for the first time!, is that Clipper no longer clips YouTube pages properly, using the special YouTube format - instead, it just treats it as a regular page, with the regular options.

Amazon clipping is working properly for me. On the other hand I really think that the Clipper should include a picture of the book cover!

• Level 5*
On 7/15/2016 at 8:53 AM, rubenb said:

Use the up/down arrows to navigate the notebook list.

BUG REPORT:  Arrow Keys Don't Work in Web Clipper 6.9.2 in Chrome 54.0

The up/down arrow keys do NOT work in Evernote Web Clipper 6.9.2 in Chrome 54.0.2840.71 (2840.71) on macOS 10.11.4.

Pressing the arrow keys do NOT move either the Notebook selection, nor the Tag selection, up/down the list.

This is a huge productivity loss.  Please fix ASAP.

Screenshot:

EN-Web-Clipper-Arrow-Keys-Broke.png

I have tried using the arrow keys on many different web sites, and have even restarted my Mac.
The bug persists no matter what.

• Evernote Expert
On 27/06/2016 at 9:29 PM, rubenb said:
Hi All,

The team did a great job delivering this version. Please reply to this post and let us know how you like it! And if you find an issue, please let us know in a reply to this post.

New:
  • Reload the notebook list from the notebook popover to fetch notebooks created elsewhere
  • Get notified about the Evernote for Outlook add-in when visiting Outlook or Office 365

Fixes:

Known problem:

• Web Clipper doesn't work in restored tabs after restarting Safari. Workaround: Reload tab.

Availability:

We submitted for all three browsers today: Chrome users can expect 6.9 in the next few hours. For Opera it'll take a few days. Safari users need to be a bit more patient as the review process may take a week or two.

Cheers
Ruben

Hi @rubenb The latest version of the Clipper clips only a snapshot and a summary of the Page in YouTube. It does not clip the 'Comments' made by the users. This feature was working in the past. Can you kindly fix this please? 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, rubenb said:

Many thanks for the update.  Fixes a lot of issues, and adds some cool features, like. . .

6 hours ago, rubenb said:

Minimize web clipper panel for reading content and better previews

This is *huge* for me.  Now I can actually read and highlight text using the web clipper.  Thank you very much for this.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, rubenb said:

if you find an issue, please let us know in a reply to this post.

Two issues with the Ver 6.9 update (Chrome 51.0.2704.103 (2704.103) on OSX 10.11.4)

1. After you click on the "Options" button, and then return, I am  unable to clip anything.
  2. The Text Highlighter is NOT working.
    • The Highlighter tool is still activated from prior version of EN Clipper on Chrome
    • Click and drag does NOT result in highlighting of the text
    • The shortcut for Highlighter (CMD+OPT+I) can't be changed, and is not usable because it conflicts with the Chrome shortcut to show the HTML Inspect tool.

Animated GIF showing #1 -- Nothing selected to clip after viewing EN Options

EN-Clipper-6.9-Return-From-Options.gif

Animated GIF showing Failure of Highlight Text Tool:

EN-Clipper-Highlight-Bug.gif

20 hours ago, Rubinstein said:

Where is the new version for Firefox? The current version is really buggy.

We'd love to provide you the same new version for Firefox too. However, this isn't possible at this time.
That being said: Firefox is implementing an extension system this is more similar to Chrome/Safari/Opera.
This will allow us to release the same version to all browser at the same time.

13 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Two issues with the Ver 6.9 update (Chrome 51.0.2704.103 (2704.103) on OSX 10.11.4)

1. After you click on the "Options" button, and then return, I am  unable to clip anything.
  2. The Text Highlighter is NOT working.
    • The Highlighter tool is still activated from prior version of EN Clipper on Chrome
    • Click and drag does NOT result in highlighting of the text
    • The shortcut for Highlighter (CMD+OPT+I) can't be changed, and is not usable because it conflicts with the Chrome shortcut to show the HTML Inspect tool.

Thanks for the detailed bug reports. Much appreciated. I was able to reproduce both problems. They'll be fixed.

• Level 5*
On 6/28/2016 at 8:30 AM, rubenb said:

Thanks for the detailed bug reports. Much appreciated. I was able to reproduce both problems. They'll be fixed.

Outstanding!  Greatly appreciate the quick reply and the quick response to fix.

On 28.6.2016 at 3:19 PM, rubenb said:

We'd love to provide you the same new version for Firefox too. However, this isn't possible at this time.

When you'll release the new version for Firefox? Next days, weeks, month?

As other users says, V6.2 is annoying buggy

I'm confused about the Evernote extension for Safari. Can't we download this directly from Evernote's web site? What's the best way to get an extension that will update automatically? Is the only way to get it from the Safari Extensions "store"?

• Level 5*

Just wanted to add - noticed when clipping from Gmail it no longer populates the title with the Title here - email@email.com - Long Company Name Email

Thank you. I always had to delete this. Thank you thank you thank you.

• Level 5*

Oh. I just noticed the clipped Gmail comes in plain text (ish) now. At first I was like "BLAH" but thinking about it, I like it. If it's intentional. I only suggest a bigger title, and also plain-texting email signatures. I've attached an image to show what I mean.

Screenshot 2016-07-01 15.08.35.png

9 hours ago, chirmer said:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebExtensions

You'll have to wait for Firefox to actually get their "WebExtensions" up and running, and this is where it seems they'll be posting the information.

I asked around and some mention it being in the upcoming release Firefox 48 or the one after it 49, which is still a very long time. But at least its something. Shame because I have to use Chrome or opera now only for the Web clipper and its really slowing down the process.

Same issue here in regards to the cursor with yellow square. Click the clipper icon which defaults to clip entire article. Then I can not select any text or click anything on the clipper window. Clicking does nothing.

Using Chrome in Chrome OS. This is with the 6.9 clipper. Please help. Very frustrated.

On 6/27/2016 at 11:59 AM, rubenb said:
Hi All,

New:

Fixes:

Known problem:

Availability:

Cheers
Ruben

19 hours ago, osaga said:

I'm getting the same thing.  WebClipper highlights the whole page in a green outline, the cursor becomes a thin arrow with a yellow, square dot by it.  I've attached a screenshot (which doesn't capture the cursor).

ApyLQo5.png

On 6/28/2016 at 3:19 PM, rubenb said:

That being said: Firefox is implementing an extension system this is more similar to Chrome/Safari/Opera.
This will allow us to release the same version to all browser at the same time.

Why isn't it possible at the this time? Its been like this for years? Who is in charge to provide answers to why isn't it being done. If you are increasing price for paying users and you are advertising as cross platform than you owe us at least an answer, don't you think? I mean, either say we have stopped supporting Firefox all together which seems to be the case or use the extra money to provide the same support of all major browsers.

On 7/1/2016 at 3:13 AM, odysseus said:

I'm confused about the Evernote extension for Safari. Can't we download this directly from Evernote's web site? What's the best way to get an extension that will update automatically? Is the only way to get it from the Safari Extensions "store"?

There are two ways to install Web Clipper for Safari:

1) Go to Safari > Preferences and then click "Get Extensions". 
2) In Safari visit http://evernote.com/webclipper and download Web Clipper.

Both update to the latest version:

1) Automatically through Apple's store (if you selected the checkbox)
2) Directly from our web site, when you confirm the update button in Safari/Preferences

Which one is preferred? It depends :)

Choose #1 if you like updates to happen automatically and if you prefer to get extensions the official Apple Extension site
Choose #2 if you want new releases as soon as they become available.

On 7/1/2016 at 9:20 PM, chirmer said:

Oh. I just noticed the clipped Gmail comes in plain text (ish) now. At first I was like "BLAH" but thinking about it, I like it. If it's intentional. I only suggest a bigger title, and also plain-texting email signatures. I've attached an image to show what I mean.

Screenshot 2016-07-01 15.08.35.png

Thanks for the bug report. I agree, the separation of the messages isn't good anymore. Looks like we introduced a problem in 6.9 version. It'll be fixed.

On 7/2/2016 at 6:17 AM, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

Hi @rubenb The latest version of the Clipper clips only a snapshot and a summary of the Page in YouTube. It does not clip the 'Comments' made by the users. This feature was working in the past. Can you kindly fix this please? 

Thanks for the problem report. We'll look into it.

On 7/7/2016 at 10:05 AM, Krunoslav said:

Why isn't it possible at the this time? Its been like this for years? Who is in charge to provide answers to why isn't it being done. If you are increasing price for paying users and you are advertising as cross platform than you owe us at least an answer, don't you think? I mean, either say we have stopped supporting Firefox all together which seems to be the case or use the extra money to provide the same support of all major browsers.

Apologies for the inferior support on Firefox. We'd love to offer a solution today, but the new Firefox API isn't available right now. 

On 7/8/2016 at 0:56 PM, rubenb said:

Apologies for the inferior support on Firefox. We'd love to offer a solution today, but the new Firefox API isn't available right now. 

I wouldn't mind that it isn't if I had some useful information that its being worked on and when could be expect the same quality as on other major browser? Can you answer that please? Thank you.

• Level 5*
On 7/10/2016 at 7:30 AM, Krunoslav said:

I wouldn't mind that it isn't if I had some useful information that its being worked on and when could be expect the same quality as on other major browser? Can you answer that please? Thank you.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebExtensions

You'll have to wait for Firefox to actually get their "WebExtensions" up and running, and this is where it seems they'll be posting the information.

Archived