Evernote notes export failing, probably due to long file name

I'm trying to export all my notes out of Evernote as HTML. However, it's failing part way through. The error message recorded in the activity log:

Version: Evernote Mac 6.7.1 (453574)
   Locale: en-US
   WebKit: 601.6.17
  WebCore: 601.6.17
Mac Model: MacBookAir7,2
 CPU Type: Intel
CPU Count: 4
CPU Speed: 1.600000 GHz
      RAM: 4.000000 GB
     Date: 2016-06-26 14:54:16 +0000

-[ENNoteHTMLExporter exportNote:directory:error:] main |   output file: /Users/[username]/Documents/backup/Evernote Backup 2016-06-26/Idea: one web based channel for assignments to be distributed. It would be filterable by class and know what due dates are. Assignment lists and calendars would be exportable in a variety of formats and printable. Calendars could be connected to gcal, etc.html

Attempting to run this command in terminal gives a "file name too long" error:

touch "Idea: one web based channel for assignments to be distributed. It would be filterable by class and know what due dates are. Assignment lists and calendars would be exportable in a variety of formats and printable. Calendars could be connected to gcal, etc.html"

I realize giving this note a short title would probably fix the issue for this note, but I'm fairly certain I have many notes with long titles. How can I fix this problem and export all my notes as HTML?

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Narthur said:

I'm trying to export all my notes out of Evernote as HTML. However, it's failing part way through. The error message recorded in the activity log:

Attempting to run this command in terminal gives a "file name too long" error:

touch "Idea: one web based channel for assignments to be distributed. It would be filterable by class and know what due dates are. Assignment lists and calendars would be exportable in a variety of formats and printable. Calendars could be connected to gcal, etc.html"

I realize giving this note a short title would probably fix the issue for this note, but I'm fairly certain I have many notes with long titles. How can I fix this problem and export all my notes as HTML?

Thats quite the note and file name.
Are you sure Windows will allow this as a filename?  In addition to length, I'm also seeing special characters.

Usually, note titles are more concise.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I think this is a Mac thing - is it something you could script for?  Either finding long titles,  or finding and changing them?

Actually for filenames, Mac OS is more flexible than Windows, but I'm sure my Mac would choke on that filename.

Yes, this is all happening on a mac. I think this happened because I used to use the Windows client, and back in the day it would automatically create titles out of the note's contents if a title wasn't explicitly provided.

I haven't done very much Evernote scripting successfully. How would you suggest I go about scripting the shortening of titles?

• Level 5*

If you still have access to Windows,  there's a little utility called Evernote Batch which allows you to do quite a lot with note names / colors etc - well worth a look.  Its strictly paid-for if you want to use it though..

As to scripts,  afraid I'm not the guru you were looking for...

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Narthur said:

Yes, this is all happening on a mac. I think this happened because I used to use the Windows client, and back in the day it would automatically create titles out of the note's contents if a title wasn't explicitly provided.

I haven't done very much Evernote scripting successfully. How would you suggest I go about scripting the shortening of titles?

I've moved this conversation to the Mac forum before the Windows people get POd.

I've automated my backups with the script documented here 
          -Project: Applescript - Evernote Backup
It includes note export

The applescript commands for length is: length of xxx
To truncate text, you can use the command:  
          set aaa to ((characters 1 thru 20 of bob) as string)

@JMichaelTX described code to remove special characters here
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96477-export-fails-after-6-notebooks

Oops, my bad! That's what I get for using the "Start New Topic" button from a thread I landed on through a Google search.

Ok, I guess I can work on that. Do you know of any way I could sidestep the issue by converting the .enex files to some more-open format?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Narthur said:

Ok, I guess I can work on that. Do you know of any way I could sidestep the issue by converting the .enex files to some more-open format?

enex format will sidestep the issue, since it doesn't use the note title as a filename
I know of no way to make it more-open format

I actually use both formats;
- html so I can look at the note
- enex so I can use it for import  
   Also, enex is a more complete version of the note, meta data, ocr, etc

Ok, thank you for the info!

For now I'm trying out using CloudHQ to sync my Evernote notes to Google Drive. It will do the conversion to other formats such as PDF, TXT, HTML, etc, but right now I'm just asking it to use the Google Drive document format since that isn't counted towards my storage quota, and then if that goes OK I'll think about other formats.

https://www.cloudhq.net/synch

Thank you for all your help!

Archived