Can't open pdf iOS Evernote

Sent a pdf to Evernote. Now I try to open the pdf but tapping on it, it downloads but then I get the iOS air drop pull up screen. I can send the pdf to Dropbox or even back to Evernote (?!?!) but it won't show an app to read the pdf or open the file inside Evernote itself.

i looked for some setting to add a third party app but Evernote has to be able to read PDFs right? One of the features of the premium account it's being able to mark them up. What am I missing.

Super frustrated and close to cancelling my  premium account 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Using the EvenNote SnapScan, PDF files on the iOS devices show up the file name but the PDF file is not clickable. You just get a blank outline of where the PDF file should be to click and open. You can go back to the Mac or Windows version, open up the PDF file, save and then it will show up on the iOS device. Scanning too many documents to do this on every new document I create. 

I have been having the same problem

Uni is starting again soon and annotating PDFs was my go-to way to take notes. It was perfect.

Even if it's not for annotation, being able to simply display PDFs meant that I didn't have to lug around a bunch of papers like a stupid caveman!

Even installed Adobe Reader and I can't even export the file to it. :/

I won't be able to do this if it's not fixed soon. This bug makes the app simply unusable. This has been persisting for weeks now...

EDIT: I can get it to work if I export the file to google drive it seems. So it's not so unusable that it's broken but it's still not an acceptably small bug.

I got a reply back from support that the issue is with a bug in the recent update to Evernote ScanSnap scanner software. Been waiting for two days on a reply of when they expect this to be resolved. This is a MAJOR issue for anyone depending on their notes on a iOS device.

Evernote just tell me when you will address this issue please.

-Edgar

Evernote, need to get back to the basics of what made you successful.  This needs to get resolved like yesterday.  Been with Evernote for a few years now...would have been a show stopper for me to even get started.  No issues moving completely off the platform if not resolved.  If you can't fix NOW, send out old "update" and get everyone back on a prior software version until you can figure out the problem.  In this day and age of reliance on scanned docs this is a no-brainier, gotta have now fix....let's get on it!!!

Ed

• I am unable to view PDFs that have been scanned by my SnapScan on my iPhone. (iOS 10). The snapscan is connected to a windows 10 computer.  They work fine in the windows computer. They cannot be opened on the iPhone. I did a support ticket and was told it was a known problem. I received an email that it was a Mac problem. My problem is on my iPhone. It makes my system very useless as I scan 90% of my documents on the Evernote SnapScan Scanner but view and work with them in my iPhone. Am I alone? Why is this not being reported and documented?  
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, George T said:
  •  I received an email that it was a Mac problem. My problem is on my iPhone. It makes my system very useless as I scan 90% of my documents on the Evernote SnapScan Scanner but view and work with them in my iPhone. Am I alone? Why is this not being reported and documented?  

The Mac issue is documented here https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/99800-evernote-edition-scansnap-users-on-mac-please-read/?do=findComment&comment=430368.   It's related to the new Mac OS and is being addressed by Fujitsu

I have no info on the IOS issue.

I've further discovered that the ability to view PDFs back in time (I looked at my 2015 notes) is sporadic.  Some PDFs that I scanned can be viewed, others can't (PDFs forwarded via email, scanned via iPhone, or sent from some other party/hardware all work).  I spoke with Fujitsu and relayed the issue as well.

Separately, and as a short term "solution", I have found that after a document is scanned I do the following: 1) go to the note just created/scanned, 2) copy the PDF and paste into a new note.  EVEN SIMPLER, simply RIGHT CLICK the note just created when scanned, select "Duplicate Note"...the newly copied note with the PDF is now viewable on the iPhone & iPad.  Odd.

Why should we have to do this?  We shouldn't, but it works as a stop-gap until Evernote, Fujitsu and Apple can stop pointing their fingers at each other claiming "It's not us, it's them), and start WORKING TOGETHER to resolve the issue.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, ekelchner said:

Further...I'm finding the "Duplicate Note" is sporadic in results (some can be viewed on iPad, some can not be viewed)...however, the actual copying and pasting direct to a new note works consistently.

Can you post a pdf that won't open in IOS

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, EArroyo said:

I also discovered what @ekelchner has suggested as a stop gap but this issue has been ongoing for sometime now.

Hope it can get resolved quickly. 

Can you post a pdf that won't won't open in IOS
I'd like to do more than just hope

Ok.  Still trying new options...found the most simple way to deal with this...after the note has been scanned...you simply need to go to that new note, select just after the file (as if you are going to start typing text), simply hit "Return" on your keypad which is a new input to that note .  When refreshed, then checked on my iPad...the file is viewable.  Very odd.

DTLow, won't work.  If I try to copy/paste from my iPhone or iPad where it doesn't show, "there's no file" to copy paste.  If I copy/paste it from my desktop to here, we would have now accomplished the task of copy/pasting to a "new note" or location, so you will see no problem.  See my post above....simply inserting a "Return" or a space on that note allows the file to now be seen on both Windows desktop and iPhone/iPad.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, ekelchner said:

DTLow, won't work.  If I try to copy/paste from my iPhone or iPad where it doesn't show, "there's no file" to copy paste.  If I copy/paste it from my desktop to here, we would have now accomplished the task of copy/pasting to a "new note" or location, so you will see no problem.  See my post above....simply inserting a "Return" or a space on that note allows the file to now be seen on both Windows desktop and iPhone/iPad.

If you are using Evernote on your desktop, and seeing the note
- you have access to the pdf and you can attach it to a post

Not sure where the "new note" comes in

DTLow, note attached that has a PDF file attached.  at the moment, i CAN NOT see this PDF on my iPad or iPhone, but I CAN see it on my Windows desktop.  IF I now go to that note on my desktop and simply enter a piece of text (such as a carriage return, a space or a few characters), then I look on my ipad or iphone....i will then be able to see the file.

Evernote.dat

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, ekelchner said:

DTLow, note attached that has a PDF file attached.  at the moment, 

Sorry, I can't use a .dat file

I was expecting an actual .pdf file, or a url to a note in Evernote

An xml export would work

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, ekelchner said:

DTLow, let's try the link direct to me Evernote note that contains the document.  If this doesn't work, i'll attach the PDF, but if/when I do that, there will be no sign of any issues...but, we'll see.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AVFtWzdTZBJKFI_i050eN04TNodIYjaJqyo/

Thanks

I retrieved the pdf

It's displaying ok on my iPad 

ok.  as mentioned, any docs forwarded to me from any other source is viewable...may be the case with this instance.  i checked the file and i still couldn't see the pdf file.  however, i then opened the note on my desktop, typed a space, checked my phone and ipad....now i can see it.

I seem to be getting something slightly different to everyone else, i can see the pdf in iOS EN but when I click on it to open it says its locked and I need to put a password in. I've tried everything that I could think of and still no luck - anyone else having this issue? 

PDF's work fine on Mac/Windows platform but not iOS. VERY ANNOYING!

Life pro tip:

Turns out that the problem is that some PDF files don't have ".pdf" at the end of their names.

If the file extension is missing then Evernote won't know what to do with the file and will try to export it.

I don't know if you guys figured this out yet. I'm too busy to spend all the time reading this thread, just saying that the bug isn't as big as we thought it was. (y)

Hope this resolves your problems and that you guys have a good day.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any update to this.  I have pdf's that I can open on my desktop app and iphone but not on my ipad.  Is it possible the pdf has been corrupted on my ipad?  Is there a way to rest?

• 1 month later...

Again, May 31 2017, still here with this years old bug, not even the update issued today solves this problem in my iPhone. This is a major failure and I am considering moving to Microsoft OneNote. Evernote doesn't care.

IMG_0164.PNG

Archived