Turn off auto-formatting

Daniel Uhl

Idea

Currently there's an option in Preferences->Formatting->Auto Format that turns off "create lists, lines, and emojis" but there are still several auto-format text replacements that this does not turn off. There should be a new option or extend this option to cover things like "----" tuning into an double m dash.

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Daniel Uhl said:

Currently there's an option in Preferences->Formatting->Auto Format that turns off "create lists, lines, and emojis" but there are still several auto-format text replacements that this does not turn off. There should be a new option or extend this option to cover things like "----" tuning into an double m dash.

There are auto format options controlled by Evernote, and others controlled by the Mac OS.

Have you looked at the Mac keyboard text shortcuts?

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 11.36.31 AM.png

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, alber said:

@DTLow I already turn off my auto format in evernote and my OSX.

In my keyboard > text setting, I have none and still in evernote is doing the "--" into "-".

What i really want is when i type "--" it becomes a "--" not a single dash.

All I can say is that I disabled auto-formatting on my Mac, both in the OS and EvernoteScreen Shot 2016-12-27 at 6.04.33 AM.png

Hmm...any idea why this hasn't been implemented as an Edit > Substitutions submenu, as one would expect. Maybe it's just me, but I find it slightly illogical that the default behaviour of an app is managed via a contextual menu in a text entry field.

:-j

On 11/18/2020 at 5:38 PM, PinkElephant said:

Yes: Install the legacy client, and wait with v10 until it has reached the level of features that serves your workflow needs.

Yes, this is the only solution now. According to the helping doc, Auto-formatting cannot be disabled in the new Evernote for Mac (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468-Use-auto-formatting).

Is there EVER a plan to add this option back? I refused to use the new APP until it was added back. This is so annoying and slow down my work.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:50 PM, ben2020 said:

Yes, this is the only solution now. According to the helping doc, Auto-formatting cannot be disabled in the new Evernote for Mac (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468-Use-auto-formatting).

Is there EVER a plan to add this option back? I refused to use the new APP until it was added back. This is so annoying and slow down my work.

Agree, this is exceptionally frustrating. It is NOT a feature when a new version *removes* an option that was perfectly good and reduces functionality. Why would the engineering team / designers / programmers ever think of this as a good idea? Who is in charge? Doesn't Evernote have focus groups of power users? Newbies won't know the difference but aren't long term customers as important for growth from "word of mouth" recommendations, and to sustain revenue? I'm stuck with Evernote for now but I certainly won't be recommending it to friends anymore so many features broken in the new release. Being forced to have auto-formatting / autocorrect is extremely frustrating and not standard practice, every other app I have lets me decide not only whether to have autoformatting but (like Microsoft) what to autoformat and what not.

This CEO blog post suggests some of these features may be restored:

https://evernote.com/blog/state-of-the-product/

But I'd feel better with a specific list that is on the "backlog" so I know what they actually listened to and what I have to give up on. I also am disappointed this seems the 2nd or 3rd major time over the last 11 years Evernote has done this, rolled out a major new release and left out features and then been surprised that it disrupted long term users' workflow. 

On 12/31/2020 at 7:42 PM, yj19 said:

Agree, this is exceptionally frustrating. It is NOT a feature when a new version *removes* an option that was perfectly good and reduces functionality. Why would the engineering team / designers / programmers ever think of this as a good idea? Who is in charge? Doesn't Evernote have focus groups of power users? Newbies won't know the difference but aren't long term customers as important for growth from "word of mouth" recommendations, and to sustain revenue? I'm stuck with Evernote for now but I certainly won't be recommending it to friends anymore so many features broken in the new release. Being forced to have auto-formatting / autocorrect is extremely frustrating and not standard practice, every other app I have lets me decide not only whether to have autoformatting but (like Microsoft) what to autoformat and what not.

I can only support this. +1