Evernote continuously freezes since version 6

Evernote since version 6 is continuously micro-freezing / lags during regular use. Before version 6 I was always impressed by how buttery smooth Evernote was in use - this is no longer the case. 

This happens when typing (a note, in search, adding a tag) or scrolling through note / note list, i.e. basically doing anything. I'd say I'm probably a moderate user (~1200 notes, 1.5GB data), using Evernote almost daily.

Examples (as in, not limited to):

- When typing a note, Evernote will be unresponsive many times for about a second, during which I cannot see what I am typing, then suddenly the word I was typing appears. This seems to happen every 10th/15th word or so and is annoying and therefor distracting.

- When adding (typing) a tag to a note, Evernote will hang for about 1-2 seconds during which I cannot see what I am typing, then typed text appears. Causes me to pause also and or make mistakes in tagging

Steps undertaken:

- Disable virus scanner: no improvement.

- [Control] + Help menu -> did all the cleaning steps (from 'Optimize Database' to 'Delete unused linked tags': no improvement.

- Un- and re-install Evernote: no improvement.

Briefly compared to Evernote on my laptop (also running Windows 10). Laptop is still on Evernote 5 and still buttery smooth.

Desktop specs: powerful Windows 10 PC with plenty of resources. No problems with any other slow(er) software as of late.

I know, I know, 1st world problems. But I'm a paying customer and this isn't working as well as it used to. Any other things that might help?  I noticed some other people complaining about slow Evernote since version 6 also but no working solution yet - seems they borked something in the newest version?

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm rocking 20,000+ notes without such distractions,  and out of 150M users,  a few comments does not (necessarily) a borking make - I'd say your bad experience is probably due to something fixable.  First order of fixes in Windows is to uninstall / restart / reinstall,  and then you might want to switch 'context' off (Tools > Options > Context).  Try that setup for a while,  and if you still get issues please post again - there's something you can do to change the type-ahead searching interval;  to stop it trying to search while you're still typing.. but that involves a registry hack,  so it's kind've a last resort!  Hope this helps..  :)

Thank you for your reply :-)

If all other things stay equal, and the only thing that changes is also the only thing that breaks (break is bit harsh in this context), forgive me for concluding that the fault is with the variable that changed.

As stated, already tried uninstall / restart / re-install, to no avail.

I checked 'context' and it was already switched off - so that is not going to be the solution.

Am I correct in understanding that any adjustment to type-ahead searching is only going to affect the client when I type in search boxes? Because that also won't help. Evernote is doing something while typing in a note / typing in general that is causing the lag / stutters.

Any other suggestions?

I unchecked "instant sync" in Tools > Options > Sync and will see if that changes anything. I compared settings to V5 still running on my laptop and saw it was unchecked there too (I'll report back if that solves anything).

It was the "instant sync".

After this was switched off in Tools > Options > Sync everything back to normal. Must have switched on in update from V5 to V6 as I don't remember doing this myself, and like I said I didn't find stutters in Evernote V5 on my laptop (which didnt have instant sync switched on).

So... dunno if instant sync works for other people - causes stuttering for me, no idea if it caused stuttering in V5 as I never used the feature there. I won't miss using this feature as I wasn't important for me anyway. Glad this is solved.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Dutchnote said:

So... dunno if instant sync works for other people - causes stuttering for me

Instant sync works well for me 99.5% of the time.  However, if I make a mass tag add/change, 50+ notes say, I have sometimes seen a degradation in EN performance.  Quick fix was to click on the sync button.  I don't do that many mass changes, so not a biggie for me.

Were your slow downs independent of having recently made such a mass change or just all the time?  Out of interest is all.

It was there all the time. For example:

Typing a note: stutter every other 10-15 words 

Adding a note: stutter

Adding / changing note title: stutter

Adding / changing tags on one note: stutter 

Mind you these were stutters of 1-2 seconds max (as perceived.... probably never more than 1s actually). Like I said, 1st world problems. But distracting and felt like something was broken as I was used to buttery smooth operation.

Zero stutters since disabling instant sync. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Dutchnote said:

It was there all the time. For example:

Typing a note: stutter every other 10-15 words 

Adding a note: stutter

Adding / changing note title: stutter

Adding / changing tags on one note: stutter 

Mind you these were stutters of 1-2 seconds max (as perceived.... probably never more than 1s actually). Like I said, 1st world problems. But distracting and felt like something was broken as I was used to buttery smooth operation.

Zero stutters since disabling instant sync. 

Weird, Instant sync seems not to impact my EN performance.  Might be worth a trouble ticket.

I dunno what they did with new versions, but as you i'm getting lot of sh*t.

Nothing works in the new version (Windows, Web and Android). I dunno what they did, but Evernote trash now.

01. 30 days authorization isn't working.
02. If you create a note in Evernote Web with tables, then don't open this note in Evernote for Windows because it will destroy the format you created.
03. When you create a link, it shows as blue with a button line, you can change the color, but you can delete this blue line or change the color of it.
04. If you copy large text, it will create horizontal bars.
05. Web Clipper or Evernote aren't working as they should, i can't see full content (Captured notes) in Web or Windows, only Android and iOS.
06. What you already said.

I can't work with this, i'm looking for alternatives and i'm leave Evernote as soon as i can.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2016 at 11:22 AM, kizz200 said:

I dunno what they did with new versions, but as you i'm getting lot of sh*t.

Nothing works in the new version (Windows, Web and Android). I dunno what they did, but Evernote trash now.

I can't work with this, i'm looking for alternatives and i'm leave Evernote as soon as i can.

Starting to worry too.

* Still get stutters with searching

* Finding more and more notes in my library where if I open them and scroll in them, evernote becomes unresponsive for a long time (like 20s) or completely locks up,requiring me to kill evernote in the task manager)

Sadface :(

• Ex Employees
On 7/10/2016 at 3:21 PM, Dutchnote said:

Finding more and more notes in my library where if I open them and scroll in them, evernote becomes unresponsive for a long time (like 20s) or completely locks up,requiring me to kill evernote in the task manager)

Any issues accessing these notes using Evernote Web: https://www.evernote.com/Home.action? If not, I believe a database rebuild will resolve this issue. To rebuild your Evernote for Windows database, follow these steps:

If you don't have any unsynchronized notes, and you do not have Local notebooks, please skip to "Move your existing Evernote database." If you do have unsynchronized notes or local notebooks, follow these steps to export that content:

1. Select all unsynced notes, or each local notebook, then right-click and select Export Notes…
 2. Choose 'Export as a file in ENEX format (.enex)', then click Export
     * Detailed instructions here

Move your existing Evernote database:

1. Open Evernote for Windows
2. Select File > Sign out… from the menu bar
3. Select Evernote > Options > General > Open Database folder
4. Move the [username].exb file to your desktop
5. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

Evernote will download all of your synced notes from the servers and create a new database on your computer. You can then import any exported notes by selecting File > Import from the menu bar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2016 at 0:28 AM, Austin G said:

Any issues accessing these notes using Evernote Web: https://www.evernote.com/Home.action

Actually, yes. It seems on many notes that are clipped web pages, there's either a long freeze or an indefinite freeze forcing me to close evernote in the task manager.

I did a quick test and find that the same note that hangs evernote desktop client also hangs my browser. How is that possible??

• Ex Employees
11 hours ago, Dutchnote said:

the same note that hangs evernote desktop client also hangs my browser.

For this issue, try to recreate the note. If you right-click this note and select duplicate note, does the hang occur? If so, please export the note, then import it back into your account. 

I do not believe this is related to the client hang that occurs when a search occurs - a database rebuild should fix that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had Evernote since the the first Windows ("desktop") version of Evernote came (2010 or 2011).  It has been hanging up constantly since then.  I keep believing their big-talk, "we're working like hell on this," "your call/post is very important to us."  It has been a very defective product since Day 1, and fools like me are simply paying for the development of better versions marketed to businesses.  You can't tell me they would pay good money for the crappy performance available even to Premium customers (which I've been from the start).  There have been constant and numerous complaints from users about the hanging up problem, which is constant.  I gave up on using it for taking notes on anything, because all you need to do is type half a sentence and it is already choking on its electronic vapors. It chokes on searches unless you type them into a word processor copy/paste them into the Evernote search box. Word processors have the amazing capability of not choking after two characters have been typed.  But what a Rube Goldberg way to figure out ways to use it.  And none of the Rube Goldberg hacks are provided by Evernote, because doing so would be a de facto admission that Evernote desktop is *****.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Quod Erat said:

I have had Evernote since the the first Windows ("desktop") version of Evernote came (2010 or 2011).

Not that it matters but the Windows desktop version came out long before 2010.

Some systems do experience performance problems.  I was one of them until I replaced my HDD with an SSD.  Increasing memory initially helped but for me the SSD was the fix.  I'm not saying this should be needed, just that I took that route and have been happy since.

The delay after typing a few search characters can be fixed.  In the registry, or if you are using the latest beta, in the options menu under seach, is the "Search as you type" parameter.  The default is 50ms (I believe), if you instead set this to 0 search as you type is disabled and then you can type in your entire search request and then hit enter to start the search.  This will remove the delay you see when typing in a search request.

• Level 5*

@Quod Erat - Sorry to see you're having a bad experience,  but that's not how Evernote works for lots of other folks.  Have you tried the Support route?  Have you posted in the forums here?  Have you tried any of the suggestions from the thousands of posts here about various sync,  search and installation issues with every OS and device under the sun?  Evernote do have a pretty good record at making things work sooner or later...

Actually, I have spent far more time than is warranted trying to solve problems that should have been worked out in the first beta versions of Evernote Windows desktop version.

I have been reading support ever since I got Evernote, including, but not limited to, the Jason Kincaid's epic farewell rant, "Evernote, the bug-ridden elephant," 941 days ago (January 2014, still available at https://jasonkincaid.net/2014/01/evernote-the-bug-ridden-elephant/ ) which prompted great concern and promises from Evernote to do better, soon.  Main complaint: constant hangups when doing pretty much of anything in Evernote, including simply typing notes into Note. I have also posted several times about why Evernote doesn't let you type in the search on the desktop version before it goes off like a drunken sailor looking in its database for the first letter, then for the first two letters, then for the first three letters, ad seriatim, choking on the series of "new" searches as it staggers along.  I was advised recently under another forum topic that this is being addressed in a new beta -- after six years of continuous complaints from users.

If, as s2sailor advises above, the cure is to get an upgraded computer with a solid state drive ($2,000 or so), then it would have saved many people a lot of grief if Evernote had disclosed this fact ANYWHERE in its marketing, support, or advertising material, perhaps with an asterisk: "In addition to the $50.00 annual subscription fee for Evernote Premium, you will also need to buy a computer with a solid state drive, because Evernote will not work with hard disk drives."  Of course, 99% of users would have passed up on that exciting opportunity.

When watching how long it has/is taking Evernote to address these problems, or to tell Premium users they need to pop for a solid state drive computer, I am reminded of an unattributed quote in "Platoon": "Hell is the impossibility of reason."  Evernote has been hell for many people, most of whom jumped ship a long time ago.  And I remain convinced that Evernote has indeed solved these problems for its business customers, but will not do so for its consumer customers; no business would put up with the endless hangups that are a constant occurrence in the consumer version.  So the question is: Why won't Evernote do what it has already done for its business customers?  Perhaps it requires far more expensive upgrades than just one SSD computer, such as dedicated SSD servers, that are beyond the realm of reason for consumer users.  If that's the case, why not just tell consumer users, "Hey, you're wasting your're time, but thank you to all you Premium users out there who helped finance our development of the business version."

• Level 5*

Er, I have Evernote running on a domestic computer with a good old fashioned 2.5" spinning disk and it works fine,  as it has on various laptops through Windows Vista,  7,  8.1 and 10.  As @s2sailor pointed out you can switch off the search as you type,  and if you ask them nicely and co-operate with their requests I've found the support team are generally helpful...

Check out the first 246 comments posted on Kincaid's artile on the first couple of days after his post.  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7009995 .Then more of them over the next 18 months or so, at his website. https://jasonkincaid.net/2014/01/evernote-the-bug-ridden-elephant/ .  Very little of what he described has been remedied.

All of Mr. Kincaid's comments, as well as 98% of those who posted comments, are in accordance with my own experience.  You either have a magic PC, are hooked up to dedicated Evernote server, or you have a small amount of data in Evernote.  It's true, the problems didn't start until I had 50 or 60 notes, i.e, in the first couple of dates after I acquired Evernote.

I congratulate you on your good fortune with Evernote.  It just doesn't seem widespread among Premium users.  If you don't mind putting everything on the web version for the world to read, it works better than the Premium desktop version -- few hangups, and searching works seemlessly, although the search syntax is somewhat opaque and hard to find.  Too much of it is for developers only.  I don't expect to be required to be a developer to figure out or use the search syntax in a consumer product.

There is a lot functionality in the desktop version, along with confidentiality, but these advantages are nullified to a great degree by the constant hangups in searching, entering text in notes by typing it in, and for many unknown reasons.  It just wants to hang.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Quod Erat said:

If, as s2sailor advises above, the cure is to get an upgraded computer with a solid state drive ($2,000 or so), then it would have saved many people a lot of grief if Evernote had disclosed this fact ANYWHERE in its marketing, support, or advertising material, perhaps with an asterisk: "In addition to the $50.00 annual subscription fee for Evernote Premium, you will also need to buy a computer with a solid state drive, because Evernote will not work with hard disk drives."

No, I said this is what I did and it worked for me.  I was plagued with a slow system that had overall performance problems.  I replaced my HDD to improve this general situation and found this took care of my Evernote issues as well.  Others have done the same and have seen similar improvements and others are running just fine with HDDs.  I have no idea why the difference but have just offered up what I did.  For me it was an extremely worthwhile $150 upgrade.

I am not technically knowledgeable enough to contemplate replacing a hard drive in a laptop.  However, there are people in town who do that (it's a very small town).  If you would forward some links or info on the type of SSD, I will look at it's feasibility.  A hardware fix always beats the hell out of tinkering with the software.

Thank you.

• Level 5*

There are different SSD interfaces, sizes and mounting options.  What you need will depend on your specific laptop.  If you have a place in town that does this type of work it would be best to bring your laptop to them and discuss options.  They can probably also help you with moving your system image from the HDD over to the SSD.  None of this is really difficult but if you have not done it before it can seem a little daunting so probably best to let others do it or get help from knowledgeable friends if possible.

• Level 5*

You're welcome and good luck.  Do consider trying the search change first before going through the trouble and expense to replace your HDD.  Before I replaced my HDD I did the registry change first and that did remove a lot of the frustration I had with Evernote.  The SSD update just made everything all the better.

• Level 5*

@Quod Erat

Just confirming what @s2sailor says, I converted to SSD a few years back and have had excellent performance since.  As long as laptop technology stays the way it is, I won't be getting another laptop that doesn't have SSD.  Everything just runs faster from boot on.

• 1 month later...

Man, from the updating to this new version I have had problem after problem. Initially the update in moving files to a new directory resulted in loss of notes and notebooks, including notes in pending for a sync located on the hard drive. Through a discussion with 2 seasoned members, I was able to figure out how to recover that former database from virtue the installation of the latest version didn't delete the previous directory. So, I simply moved the newest database file out of the new directory so it couldn't be accessed. That forced Evernote to open the previous database at its original directory location.

All was well and then couple of days ago, Evernote would completely hang up on at any additional entries to an existing note I was typing in. The only windows with Evernote were the dashboard (main app) and the note I was modifying with just written sentences or characters. Not a few characters typed and the whole entire Evernote would become unresponsive. And like the other members had to do, I had to end the app via Task Manager.

I thought the hangup was because of the large file which I have noticed with previous versions that copying over big volume of text (just simple characters without any formatting from a Notepad file) would stall Evernote but eventually resume. Well, this isn't the case this time. I've tried opening a new note and just hitting the Enter key would paralyze the entire program.

I don't use Evernote for anything complex or fancy but recording or typing in simple text (don't usually highlight, underline, bold, etc. the text either) without any embedded links or images or graphics. Very basic. And prior to this seeming disaster (sorry for the hyperbole), the only problem I've encountered were the head-scratching conflicting changes with the same note (but which I did figure out the steps resulting in the conflicts in the past but puzzled me of the recent conflicts when I haven't been using multiple devices but just a laptop). The temporary hangups were something I tolerated knowing it involved transferring over voluminous text.

Here, I know it's a technical issue not of my doing or some temporary server problem (since I don't usually log onto my web account for accessing the notes). I've read several threads that popped up in a search of this forum and the browser-related one didn't apply. Did read one member uninstalling and reinstalling which didn't fix the problem so I am wary about resorting to that.

I see instructions above about rebuilding the database by moving it to the desktop. I'm nervous about it since I had problem with the database relocation with the installation of this latest version.

Is the latest version out of beta status? I may wait for all the bugs to be worked out and allow for the auto update. Meanwhile, I think I had better revert to my system of working with Notepad and Google Drive in creating and modifying my notes. Microsoft's OneNote is supposed to be similar but it's so much more clunky than Evernote and I don't like Microsoft's OneDrive.

Alas...

I

Okay, so I have resorted to adding entries to my note files on my web account instead of using the app on my Windows-based laptop. I thought I had a workable alternative until I figure out the problem with the constant and persistent hangup with the Windows version Evernote. So much for being a cockeyed optimist. The web version was buggy with its lag: I'd switch to different note by clicking on the note title in the left-hand margin index and the content of that note would stay back while the previous note content lingered or become blank. But that was more of a wait-and-see problem which I could manage.

Then I added more text to one note and afterward I got a message the changes couldn't be saved. No matter since the modification was a short passage I could reconstruct from memory.

What was more of a nuisance was when I was adding more plain text (again with no special formatting or links), the note vanished. So I had to open that note again in full screen and retype that text. Somehow, out of that wonky exercise, I unwittingly created 4 copies of that note with different phases of my attempts to add the text.

I don't understand how one note file replicates itself when I didn't hit a "save" (which from the lack of that command or action icon, the file is auto saved periodically of unknown time span to me). I thought those conflicting changes files were a headache themselves in having to compare for myself the differences between the 2, 3, 4 (yup, I actually have somehow created 4 different conflicting versions of the same note) copies, which I have prioritized that behind getting rid of duplicate files on all my storage media (gawd where's that app for text files like the ones for photo to detect duplication?) or ordering pizza (I'm kidding there but the thought does cross my mind often).

As I've noted repeatedly, I have figured out the reason for the conflicting changes early on in my use of Evernote in that I was not careful in the sequence of syncing when I had Evernote opened on 2 devices at the same time. But I have basically whittled down my use of Evernote to the laptop (don't really like typing on any mobile device with the soft keyboard even with my tiny fingers of virtual stylus size...okay, I exaggerate there). The recent copies of conflicting changes of the same note are ones I do not have any idea of their creation.

I just may have to consider other options. As an aside, Evernote oftentimes consume a huge amount of the CPU second to Firefox. Of recent, I've become concerned with running my laptop too hot (I know there are external fans for computers) and it becoming slow. I'm not certain Evernote strains the laptop but other than buying a newer laptop (which considering how much prices have dropped, I should seriously look into it), I try to keep the resource-draining apps to a minimum. But I digress...

I apologize for my seeming stream of consciousness monologue with myself. But since my last post, I have an addendum to my report of the lockup issues with Evernote. After the latest series of "oh no" issues with the replicating of the same note in some kind of stuttering saving of that note (keep it to one please!), I tested out the Windows-based Evernote for its stability.

Whew, I'm relieved to report good news that somehow Evernote freezing has been resolved. I first tested out with a new note to check whether that file would send Evernote into conniption. Nope. Then I tested one of the notes that did lead to the hangup and I was able to add more text without that problem (though sometimes the text appearing on the note still lags a few seconds).

I don't know what steps fixed the problem since I didn't tweak anything on my end. Didn't mess with the database file(s) as that would make me very nervous in the prospect of losing my files permanently (yes, backup, backup, backup). Didn't uninstall then reinstall. And I don't believe there was any auto program update either.

However, I tried to follow some of the suggestions about setting the context and sync options but those customized settings weren't available to me (I have the free version) so didn't change anything in the tools options. The only difference is that I did log onto my web account and added the text modifications directly to the web-saved notes. And I did sync in one day more than I have in the past month (whoo, maybe I shouldn't confess that).

I kind of like these self-fixes but maybe I shouldn't say that or I'll jinx myself.

Plan B shall be put on the back burner for now. Creature of habit here. But I will need to set aside time and devote full attention and effort in comparing those multiple copies of the same notes and deleting the bad copies.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue with this on multiple PCs. I've only just started using Evernote, therefore there is fewer data than most of you have, but still the program freezes every 10-15 seconds or so for a few seconds in length. This is frustrating... Especially when I've just paid for a 1-year-long membership.

I have tried re-installing, turned off instant-sync, did all that database rebuilding and stuff... no luck.

As a followup to my earlier freezing problem and I doubt my comment will help SlinkyPaladin but it may be food for thought, I haven't experienced the unresponsive Evernote since the initial updating of that version (I have been receiving notice of another newer version but have put off the switch so far). As I've mentioned in my stream of posts (which I kind of forgot what I wrote without having to skim over my own posts), I didn't do anything for the fix. It just seemed to resolve itself.

With that said, I still have a lag in the typing of text appear on the note sometimes. It'll take a few seconds for the typed text to be add onto the note. But truth be told, I am having such problems with my laptop alone that it's unlikely an issue with Evernote but the freezing on the laptop alone. (If you want to read an even weirder happenstance "fix" for the freezing/lockup with my laptop, I have my laptop propped up on small blocks on the back corners and the bottom of the laptop under the touchpad section sitting on the edge of the wood magazine file. It must be something to do with a loose connection in that area because once the laptop gets going the cursor won't move, which freezes the laptop, and the only way I can get the laptop and the cursor going is to ensure my hand is on the palm rest applying some pressure. Well, that was better than the previous "fix" of tapping hard on the laptop in one of those slapping a malfunctioning machine and thinking that's the technical repair. In any event, yes, I am in midst of buying a new laptop because those "solution" surely can't be relied on as permanent.)

I will say that sometimes it's confusing of which new development is the cause of a problem. My laptop started acting up when Firefox updated with a new version. And the web surfing was the first to show problems. It got progressively worse until I realized it had to be a mechanical problem and not anything related to virus, malware, software updates, etc.

To somehow get back on track to Evernote's issues for SlinkyPaladin, I would try to look into any conflicts (no specifics I can offer), check the CPU for high usage which can indicate a system conflict somewhere, try to minimize the number of running programs to provide more resources for Evernote (it's a huge program that takes a lot of the CPU memory)...

Good luck!

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.

I'm using the Windows client on all of my PCs and yes, I've contacted the Support but still waiting for an answer.

I've noticed that during a freeze, disk and wi-fi usage peaks (also CPU, but I consider it irrelevant since it's only up to total of 35%) so maybe this suggests it might have something to do with saving and syncing the data I enter. I don't use auto-sync, btw.

>>SlinkyPaladin

To see the resources for all processes and usage in Task Manager, you need to click on the button at the bottom that says "Show processes from all users."  You will see far more of the memory and CPU being used when you turn that on. "System" is a user, system processes do not show up unless you click on the button for "Show processes from all processes. And yes, much of the time, Evernote's usage is the cause of the hanging up and slowing down of everything else on the computer.  Using Task manager with this setting on is the easiest way to identify to identify the memory/CPU hogs slowing down everything.  Firewalls are another common culprit.

Several people have posted in response to other complaints that the "cure" for Evernote's hangup problems is to get a solid-state hard drive (not a "hard drive" that spins). I can't speak for it because I don't have one, and I'm not getting one just to accommodate Evernote; but the people who made the comments were sincere and I have no reason to doubt them.  My question is why doesn't Evernote tell people this before the buy the program?

The workarounds that I have used, having really given up any hope that Evernote will actually fix the programming to deal with the hangups, are:

1.  Don't type searches into the search box using the Evernote desktop version.  Type the search into a word processor or Wordpad.  Then copy and paste the search into the search box.  Because it "eats" the whole search at once, instead of searching for each letter and combination letters as you are typing it in, the search results are well-nigh instantaneous.  This is a simple problem that Evernote could fix but hasn't in the six years I've been using it.

2.  Do not use "EverNOTE" as a note-taking program.  It is not even a primitive word processor.  It chokes on entering 4 or 5 words of plain text.  Type text into a word processor and, if you want copies in Evernote, copy/paste the notes from the word processor into Evernote.

3.  Use the web version for everything.   The web version uses entirely different software and has none of the hangups.  The downside of doing this is that you lose the additional functionality of the desktop version, including the ability to use the desktop version when you have no internet connection (you will need to use workarounds 1 and 2 when using the desktop program offline - the hangups are caused by continuous database computations in the Evernote database on your PC, which starts whenever you type in text or do a search.)  Evernote is functional as a repository, not as a data entry program and not at all as a word processor.  I don't know if the Apple version is as plagued with these programs as the Windows version.  Evernote was originally an Apple-only program.  It's hard to believe it could have taken off if it also had the hangup problems. 

These workarounds actually work. It is stupid that one has to resort to such workarounds, but they are far less time-consuming and frustrating than working within the Windows desktop program itself. 

• Level 5

@Quod Erat, not to diminish the seriousness of this problem for you and the others who are experiencing it, nevertheless it seems worth mentioning that this is not the standard Evernote experience. It doesn't happen for me, at any rate; and I doubt if anyone would use the program if this were how it worked for most people most of the time. I agree that it would be silly to buy special hardware just to make one program work. But on my 6-year-old, spinning-hard-drive Dell Inspiron 580, Evernote for Windows works without freezing. So the reason EN doesn't tell people to get an SSD in order to use it is that, generally speaking, there's no need to.

Obviously, this is a major issue for you and others to whom it is happening. But to advise users in general not to use EN for note-taking or to use the Web version for everything puts unnecessary hurdles in the way of people who can use the Windows program just fine. Again, I'm not trying to underplay your experience. But I don't think it's quite fair to generalize from it as if this were happening to everyone who uses Evernote.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Quod Erat said:

Don't type searches into the search box using the Evernote desktop version.  Type the search into a word processor or Wordpad.  Then copy and paste the search into the search box.  Because it "eats" the whole search at once, instead of searching for each letter and combination letters as you are typing it in, the search results are well-nigh instantaneous.  This is a simple problem that Evernote could fix but hasn't in the six years I've been using it.

This can be remedied by going to Tools - Options - Search and setting Search as you type delay to some high number.  Or, I think, if you set it to 0 you have to hit enter to start the search, no auto searching.

There is no such option under search.  Are you running the Apple version?  I am running Windows 7, Evernote ver. 6.3.3.3502.  I clicked on search for updates.  None were available. The options shown under Search are: "Clear Context on Search" and "Search when note is updated."  These are on by default.  I don't even understand what the second one is for. But there is no option for "Search as you type delay," which does sound like it is addressing the problem I have railed about since 2010.  My suspicion is that this was either never a problem, or a problem remedied long ago, on the business versions of Evernote, because businesses would not pay for anything this clunky. Nor do I think the product would have become popular as an Apple program if it had these same problems.

• Level 5*

Same version.  Make sure Show advanced options is checked at the bottom of the options panel.  The second one is to refresh the search after you make edits to a note (the note might not qualify after the changes.  1000 milliseconds means pausing for a second will start the search.

ScreenClip.png

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Do you still have Context enabled?  You could try switching that off...

My Context options are disabled.

13 hours ago, Quod Erat said:

To see the resources for all processes and usage in Task Manager, you need to click on the button at the bottom that says "Show processes from all users."  You will see far more of the memory and CPU being used when you turn that on. "System" is a user, system processes do not show up unless you click on the button for "Show processes from all processes. And yes, much of the time, Evernote's usage is the cause of the hanging up and slowing down of everything else on the computer.  Using Task manager with this setting on is the easiest way to identify to identify the memory/CPU hogs slowing down everything.  Firewalls are another common culprit.

Several people have posted in response to other complaints that the "cure" for Evernote's hangup problems is to get a solid-state hard drive (not a "hard drive" that spins). I can't speak for it because I don't have one, and I'm not getting one just to accommodate Evernote; but the people who made the comments were sincere and I have no reason to doubt them.  My question is why doesn't Evernote tell people this before the buy the program?

The workarounds that I have used, having really given up any hope that Evernote will actually fix the programming to deal with the hangups, are:

1.  Don't type searches into the search box using the Evernote desktop version.  Type the search into a word processor or Wordpad.  Then copy and paste the search into the search box.  Because it "eats" the whole search at once, instead of searching for each letter and combination letters as you are typing it in, the search results are well-nigh instantaneous.  This is a simple problem that Evernote could fix but hasn't in the six years I've been using it.

2.  Do not use "EverNOTE" as a note-taking program.  It is not even a primitive word processor.  It chokes on entering 4 or 5 words of plain text.  Type text into a word processor and, if you want copies in Evernote, copy/paste the notes from the word processor into Evernote.

3.  Use the web version for everything.   The web version uses entirely different software and has none of the hangups.  The downside of doing this is that you lose the additional functionality of the desktop version, including the ability to use the desktop version when you have no internet connection (you will need to use workarounds 1 and 2 when using the desktop program offline - the hangups are caused by continuous database computations in the Evernote database on your PC, which starts whenever you type in text or do a search.)  Evernote is functional as a repository, not as a data entry program and not at all as a word processor.  I don't know if the Apple version is as plagued with these programs as the Windows version.  Evernote was originally an Apple-only program.  It's hard to believe it could have taken off if it also had the hangup problems. 

These workarounds actually work. It is stupid that one has to resort to such workarounds, but they are far less time-consuming and frustrating than working within the Windows desktop program itself. 

Firstly, I do know how to check my CPU/drive and other usage and I do know what an SSD is. All of my PCs are not the best on the market but they are surely powerful and resourceful enough to handle Evernote. Therefore, I don't think this is a hardware issue, even more so since that it happens on multiple different configuration PCs. 

Second, you're telling me to basically not use Evernote for things that it was actually created for. I think that this would be illogical... I wouldn't have payed for a membership if that had been the case. Even more so when other people are reporting that they don't have these issues at all.

Nevertheless, I hope this will be sorted out asap and I won't need to ask for a refund.

7 hours ago, csihilling said:

Same version.  Make sure Show advanced options is checked at the bottom of the options panel.  The second one is to refresh the search after you make edits to a note (the note might not qualify after the changes.  1000 milliseconds means pausing for a second will start the search.

ScreenClip.png

I have done this but I don't think it is the culprit since the freeze happens when I'm editing the notes rather than when I'm searching for one.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, SlinkyPaladin said:

I have done this but I don't think it is the culprit since the freeze happens when I'm editing the notes rather than when I'm searching for one.

I was just responding to your search issue. 

Otherwise, EN does seem to come with a lot of disk activity, no doubt updating indices and the like.  I am one who converted to SSD some years back and have not had any response issues since.  It may be a hardware band aid to a software issue, but it has worked for me.  Side benefit has been everything runs faster on my getting older laptop.

• 6 months later...
On 2016/6/22 at 6:25 PM, Dutchnote said:

Evernote since version 6 is continuously micro-freezing / lags during regular use. Before version 6 I was always impressed by how buttery smooth Evernote was in use - this is no longer the case. 

This happens when typing (a note, in search, adding a tag) or scrolling through note / note list, i.e. basically doing anything. I'd say I'm probably a moderate user (~1200 notes, 1.5GB data), using Evernote almost daily.

Examples (as in, not limited to):

- When typing a note, Evernote will be unresponsive many times for about a second, during which I cannot see what I am typing, then suddenly the word I was typing appears. This seems to happen every 10th/15th word or so and is annoying and therefor distracting.

- When adding (typing) a tag to a note, Evernote will hang for about 1-2 seconds during which I cannot see what I am typing, then typed text appears. Causes me to pause also and or make mistakes in tagging

Steps undertaken:

- Disable virus scanner: no improvement.

- [Control] + Help menu -> did all the cleaning steps (from 'Optimize Database' to 'Delete unused linked tags': no improvement.

- Un- and re-install Evernote: no improvement.

Briefly compared to Evernote on my laptop (also running Windows 10). Laptop is still on Evernote 5 and still buttery smooth.

Desktop specs: powerful Windows 10 PC with plenty of resources. No problems with any other slow(er) software as of late.

I know, I know, 1st world problems. But I'm a paying customer and this isn't working as well as it used to. Any other things that might help?  I noticed some other people complaining about slow Evernote since version 6 also but no working solution yet - seems they borked something in the newest version?

Hello,

I found this thread when I searched Evernote forum, and it looks to me(a free account user) the problem described in this thread is quite similar to my problem and another user(a paying account user) mentioned in an earlier Twitter thread in March(derivative from another Facebook thread in Chinese language), the problem never really goes away fully, it just gets worse from time to time(like my recent days).  The problem does not go away even after a few times of reinstallation of Evernote app and a few times of reset of computer Windows OS. I'm making this post for awareness raising and hoping there is a solution coming up.  

Kind Regards,

Ben

6 hours ago, Benjamin X Yang said:

Hello,

I found this thread when I searched Evernote forum, and it looks to me(a free account user) the problem described in this thread is quite similar to my problem and another user(a paying account user) mentioned in an earlier Twitter thread in March(derivative from another Facebook thread in Chinese language), the problem never really goes away fully, it just gets worse from time to time(like my recent days).  The problem does not go away if after a few times of reinstallation of Evernote app and a few times of reset of computer Windows OS. I'm making this post for awareness raising and hoping there is a solution coming up.  

Kind Regards,

Ben

Actually, your message is informative for me. Truth be told, I haven't been relying on Evernote for my current memo-taking for some months. As you and others have highlighted the lag and/or freeze, I got too frustrated by the delayed response from my typing to the text appearing on my note. Granted, back then I was on an outdated laptop with hardware problems. So, I could maybe excuse Evernote but from that message you quoted, it's not necessarily limited to my old (and now retired) laptop.

Since then, I got a newer laptop with up-to-date resources but I haven't installed Evernote on it (what with the limit of 2 devices for non-paying members). So, that was one deterrent. The other dissuading factors were that typing lag and freeze-up, along with the problem of conflicting notes created when changes weren't synced sequentially between devices. I think since then the Evernote updated version has addressed that conflicting note duplication but I still have to set aside time to reconcile the conflicting notes that are in my folders. (I'm like a hoarder with digital information and don't want to lose any changes across notes.)

All in all, I just didn't want to deal with it and have left my Evernote aside for another document processing/creation program which does a much better job in ensuring changes are automatically synced (to be fair, I haven't been using multiple devices at the same time with it  as I did with Evernote; I'd keep a note open in the tablet and on the laptop at the same time - or some confusing practice - which led to those conflicts). I still have to put up with some lagging on the other document program but I've realized as the file got too big, it started bogging down. My workaround is to just open a new document (my documents really aren't notes per se but more of journals or "books").

I haven't totally abandoned Evernote, as I believe I haven't fully tested out the newer features. For now, I've switched over to another program (don't know if it's kosher here to mention competitors but anyone can guess it's the big kahuna in the industry).

17 hours ago, Amarna said:

...(don't know if it's kosher here to mention competitors but anyone can guess it's the big kahuna in the industry).

Thanks for your reply.

Uh...let me guess, you are probably talking about OneNote, if so, that is not for me, for Onenote does not provide a well-designed tag management system like Evernote, the power of a good tag management system is essential, I do hope other competitors paying more attention to improvement of tag management system though.

4 hours ago, Benjamin X Yang said:

Thanks for your reply.

Uh...let me guess, you are probably talking about OneNote, if so, that is not for me, for Onenote does not provide a well-designed tag management system like Evernote, the power of a good tag management system is essential, I do hope other competitors paying more attention to improvement of tag management system though.

Thank you for your comments (it's all enlightening)!

Nope. I actually hate Microsoft's OneNote/OneDrive. Of course it's all preloaded on Windows 10 so I want to uninstall all of it. But I'm so behind on all of that stuff. The time I was trying out OneNote on Windows 98 (I know, yikes) I thought the interface was too cluttered (it's not as clean as Evernote's) or intuitive. Though I have reservations with Google (mainly as the Goliath and its history of privacy intrusions of users, but hey, that's the cost of free programs to an extent), I sort of been "raised" on Google when I first signed up with Gmail. As Google expanded its apps and tools, I have pretty much jumped all the way on board encamped. So, I use its Google Drive and all its extensions...well, not all, especially the subscription services (hey, I'm too reliant on freebies) as in the media stuff.

I understand the utility of tags but it's not something I rely on. I just stick with the plain search for keywords without labels. And I organize my notes into separate folders. But I know I haven't taken advantage a bulk of the tools and features available (kind of like that urban myth about people using only 10% percentage of their brains). I'm juggling information overload, technology evolution, proliferation of entertainment diversions, dwindling time, etc. It makes me feel like my bucket list is overflowing Alas, I digress.

Back on track, I have read reviews of Google Keeper which I do like the option to scan anything and the text becomes searchable (that's definitely something I do need for my archives). I know Evernote has a scanning feature, too, but again I haven't delved into it. I got derailed with the other issues of Evernote.

• Level 5*

If you find Google Keep is working for you,  there's no reason to change - and if you start to look around,  it's possible to spend so much time looking for the 'perfect system' that in real terms you'll do much less work that you could have achieved with your existing processes.  In other words,  if it ain't broke,  don't fix it.

If and when you start to notice that Keep lacks something you need,  then by all means look at Evernote (and any other then-current systems including ON) to see if there's a better option.

Meantime whatever works for you is fine...

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

it's possible to spend so much time looking for the 'perfect system' that in real terms you'll do much less work that you could have achieved with your existing processes.  I

Gazumped,

You've dug right into the underlying situation on point. For some time, Evernote was my go-to as it fit my bill for my needs. After that update with the latest version which caused a host of us problems with the transportation of our files to the newer directory (didn't understand the need for the shift either as the updated version could access that former directory) and the constant freezing, that was when it was "broken" for me. With the archived messages and your suggestions, along with some ideas of my own, I was able to copy the database with all my files (including those lingering conflicting ones) to the newer location. But what still persisted was the freezing. And that was the deal-breaker for me.

I moved over to Google Drive (actually I've always used Google Drive as my primary document station but for those spur-of-the-moment or faster access I had relied on Evernote) and installed it on my tablet, which I've found didn't have the lagging that turned me off with Evernote (regardless of working with the laptop or tablet). It's not perfect but it does what I want.

Oh, I haven't actually used Google Keep yet. I was reading around of reviews of OneNote, Evernote and Google Keep more as convincing myself if I needed to keep OneNote on my laptop (I try to clean out the unused apps). On second thought, I think Google Keep is more of the quick memo function kind of program than the archived documents of length that I typically use those word processing/creating documents and archiving.

One overriding mission is related to my travels. I'd like an easier, more efficient and convenient format for tracking my day-to-day visits. But I've been putting traveling on hold for some time so it's been moot.

Anyhow, good advice and perspective on your part around. It relieves some angst for me in not scrambling around mentally in keeping up. Well, at least in this area, the rest... I could use a professional organizer.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Amarna said:

I could use a professional organizer.

So could we all... :)

On your problems with Evernote - sounds like the migration of database folders didn't work so well,  and although you may have manually cleaned up some straggling files you may have been left with an installation that somewhat limped along.  My fix for that would have been to uninstall everything and reinstall the app,  plus rebuild the database - but if you're already happy elsewhere,  or getting there,  no need to break out the toolbox again.

There are lots of reviews around for different systems - Keep is simpler than Evernote,  but if you don't need the bells and whistles,  there's no need to install more.  (Simpler is often better anyway!)  The worst things I've heard said about OneNote are that 1) it's not the same as Evernote (intellectual property lawyers everywhere sigh in frustration...) and 2) it doesn't do tags.

But in the spirit of my former advice - pick one.  And give it a solid try.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 3:54 PM, gazumped said:

So could we all... :)

On your problems with Evernote - sounds like the migration of database folders didn't work so well,  and although you may have manually cleaned up some straggling files you may have been left with an installation that somewhat limped along.  My fix for that would have been to uninstall everything and reinstall the app,  plus rebuild the database - but if you're already happy elsewhere,  or getting there,  no need to break out the toolbox again.

There are lots of reviews around for different systems - Keep is simpler than Evernote,  but if you don't need the bells and whistles,  there's no need to install more.  (Simpler is often better anyway!)  The worst things I've heard said about OneNote are that 1) it's not the same as Evernote (intellectual property lawyers everywhere sigh in frustration...) and 2) it doesn't do tags.

But in the spirit of my former advice - pick one.  And give it a solid try.

I've been meaning to reply earlier but got sidetracked which speaks to the first reference.

Anyhow, I don't know the sales on the virtual assistants such as Google Home or Amazon Echo, but somehow, at least for me, those aren't quite up to the task unless they can also move furniture. I guess what I need is all-around personal assistant without a need for background check.

I would uninstall and reinstall but actually the area that was the final deal breaker was the functioning on my tablet. Sure, my tablet isn't any name brand (aren't they all made in China anyway?) without the beefed up processor, bells and whistles, etc. But I also have Google Document installed on the same tablet. It didn't stall or lag in the typing as Evernote did.

I have a reluctant relationship with Google so haven't embraced it fully as I probably should, even though Gmail was among the first email server after AOL (who's that??) basically near Google's rise in its Internet domination. I guess it's a dance with the devil which I have to submit to some privacy mining (which is a pervasive issue throughout the net...hello IPs selling our data as if their so-called bundles aren't enough of a cash cow).

But as I mentioned before, I think I should consolidate not only my life (simplicity!) but my digital activities. Truth be told, Google has a lot of useful apps and I've been relying on Google Drive for various documents for some time. When I can get my act or personal assistant together, I will add Google Keep (hey, I kind of like my corruption of "Keeper" as a brand name more).

With all of that said, I really appreciate your solid advice, comments and suggestions. You were a great help when that whole new Evernote version caused issues for many of us. Apparently, at least with the lagging, there seems to be lingering problems.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 16/08/2017 at 10:52 PM, sunchshwill said:

My Evernote freezes every time I try to sync...tried everything I could but the issue is still there. I have been a paying user for 3 years but not sure what I should do...

How to troubleshoot syncing issues

As a paying customer you can reach out to Support directly on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

Archived