Glennie

IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN

Idea

Glennie    95

Every few days somebody requests some new feature .

And I think it is still the case that most people coming to this page don't really know how this works.

I have been a member since October 2014. I remember how I began sending in information about problems with the old web version. They were received with a great deal of interest, it seemed. But curiously, none of those problems were ever fixed. One that I remember very well, and I think has still not been fixed is that if you have a long note, scroll down to a certain point and then leave the text there for a while without doing anything on the page, at a given moment the page springs back up to page 1. If you are presenting to 100 students at university, this can be just a little embarrassing. At  Evernote they abundantly agreed with me: that really was a bad fault. 18 months later I went back for a while, till the same thing happened in class. Nothing had been done.

As far as this new version is concerned, our major achievements have been to get nested tags and stacks . And I think the idea was that we would all be so happy with that that we would forget things like merging notes or resizing images or all the other things that members have requested over the past year or so.

There was also one other improvement which I had been requesting for some time: that the size of the font did not change if you moved a piece of text (took for ever, incredible as it may sound).

The other major improvement was the addition of the link to GDrive, which I think nobody had actually requested, and I think there has been some improvement in speed.

That has been it. This page contains a very long list of requests (like a "dark" version for people with eye problems) that have never come to anything made by members who have rarely come back given the almost total lack of development of the Web version.

That is the way things are. Requesting things here is almost a total waste of time. And don't be fooled by the term "Beta": this is just the previous "New" version with a different label on the bottle.

As I have mentioned many times before, until Evernote sees that there is big money in the Web version (and that depends quite a lot on the fate of the Chromebooks, I guess), this will continue to be the poor relation of the Evernote family.

You can request as many things as you like, but you may as well just put those requests in a bottle and throw it out to sea. That's the way I see it.

• Like 3

37 replies to this idea

Holmes245    9
On 7/6/2016 at 0:54 PM, scruggles said:

@Metrodon This is something we've been thinking about a lot - how do we show the *right* amount of information so you can see the highest ## of notes, but also disambiguate between notes? Do you have any specific problems or ideas you'd like to highlight?

For me, you guys were doing it right with the first version where you had the same set up view as you did on the desktop. Perhaps add the F10 and F11 (in Windows) to the web version so if we wanted to hide the left and note panels, we could. I believe that the web version needs to be comparable to the desktop, if possible. The fact that I can't filter through my tags and 'drill down' through them like I can on the desktop makes using the web version pointless for me. My brother who just recently started using Evernote started off with the web version and that's all he knew until I showed him what the desktop version could do and he was wondering why he was still using the web version. I actually wouldn't mind using the web version alone but it's just not comparable to the desktop. When the second version came out of beta a year or two ago, I felt like it came out of beta unfinished and still feels that way.

• Like 1

dbvirago    184

When I began with Evernote years ago, I started with Snippet view, which I think was the default. But like others, I like to maximize my screen real estate, so I finally settled on Top List view and have been using that for a very long time. For me, to switch to the web version, the difference is so glaring, it is distracting to use. 

Also, for me, who spends hours a day on the same laptop, I don't really understand any advantage of using the web version over the desktop version. It would be interesting to know what percentage of people use the web version for the majority of the time. 

tony10000    55

I would love to see Evernote web evolve into a more power tool for writers.  Take a look at the feature set of Scrivener and that should provide you with some ideas of what writers are looking for.  Word count would be a great place to start!

Glennie    95

I notice the way in which the requests continue to pile up.

"This would be nice"..."that would be good"...."here's a suggestion"...

________

From 22 April: "Hey folks! We are happy to announce that last night we began rolling out a new editing experience for Chrome and Safari."

From here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/234-web-product-feedback/: "One thing to remember: popularity does not mean implementation. Our forums are one component of the decisions we make, and while a bunch of ideas have merit, we need to be selective and always balancing priorities. "

The last release notes we have seen : 7/7

_________

We haven't exactly seen a lot since the 22 April announcement have we? The least we might have expected would be some sort of comeback on the request for a dark theme given that this is has to do with users with visual impairment. So it is a kind of humanitarian thing.  It was first requested on October 31, 2013. There are 283 replies in the thread. It has 32 votes... 

I think what happens on this forum is that users come on without ever looking at how the forum works (= we make the requests and then Evernote basically ignores them but occasionally makes little hope-raising moves like the invention of the Beta not long ago...just to keep us interested) and optimistically add yet another request. Then they go away again. So the forum is an enormous pile of requests, almost all ignored. 

It's an absurd situation.  Surely one for a PhD thesis. 

Why do I keep writing? 

Out of a sense of outrage, basically. Outrage at this scandalous and spurious consultation process. Just to let the Evernote people know that they are not just dealing with a group of starry-eyed teenagers who will believe just about anything they read if it seems to have some bells and whistles hanging on it.

There are mature, intelligent people writing on this forum, many of whom are paying for a product which almost never seems to get any better, and Evernote is not fooling them one little bit. 

Holmes245    9

@Glennie

My two cents:

I think a lot of it has to do with the money side of things. I don't think they raised their pricing just for the fun of it. To survive, they had to raise them and I'm sure they hated to have to do that. Since development is at such a slow rate, to me, it's apparent that they don't have the financial resources that we expect from companies like Google and MIcrosoft. I think we need to see if things improve in the next year or so to see if the pricing change helped or hurt them. I don't think they are doing this on purpose though. At the start, they had the money to make great things happened but they lost their focus (and their way). However, with new management, I'm willing to give them some time to see if they can rebound. I just don't think that time has happened yet.

jbenson2    1,981
On 8/17/2016 at 1:20 AM, Glennie said:

There are mature, intelligent people writing on this forum, many of whom are paying for a product which almost never seems to get any better, and Evernote is not fooling them one little bit. 

Here is a mature, intelligent person writing on this forum who has paid for Evernote. I have seen 117 significant improvements on the product. And Evernote is not fooling me one little bit. Each of these improvements includes something that is needed. For example, the most recent improvement involves editing improvements such as the Note Merge options - that allows me to customize my separator bars with merged notes.  Awesome feature. Evernote does get better.

Evernote improvements.png

For what it's worth on the very narrow sub-issue discussed here about the new Evernote Web:

Those who don't like the new Evernote Web version can easily (and have always been able to) revert back to the old version unhindered by visiting their Settings page. For functions the new Evernote Web doesn't have, I frequently revert back for periods of time to the old Evernote Web to get along when I'm not at my computer/laptop (and my phone app lacks the feature also).

Metrodon    1,873
55 minutes ago, Ray Sidney-Smith said:

For what it's worth on the very narrow sub-issue discussed here about the new Evernote Web:

Those who don't like the new Evernote Web version can easily (and have always been able to) revert back to the old version unhindered by visiting their Settings page. For functions the new Evernote Web doesn't have, I frequently revert back for periods of time to the old Evernote Web to get along when I'm not at my computer/laptop (and my phone app lacks the feature also).

Not actually true - if you've opened an account fairly recently (in the last year?), then you don't have access to the old (functional) web client.

2 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Not actually true - if you've opened an account fairly recently (in the last year?), then you don't have access to the old (functional) web client.

That's unfortunate for new Evernote users! I just created a demo account and tried to browse to https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action?disableBeta= to see if I could disable the beta version and it didn't work. I wonder if an Evernote Basic user could request Evernote Support to "revert" their account back to the old Web client. Thanks for clarifying, @Metrodon

Aseem Bansal    19
On 8/25/2016 at 3:53 AM, Ray Sidney-Smith said:

That's unfortunate for new Evernote users! I just created a demo account and tried to browse to https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action?disableBeta= to see if I could disable the beta version and it didn't work. I wonder if an Evernote Basic user could request Evernote Support to "revert" their account back to the old Web client. Thanks for clarifying, @Metrodon

I had tried that on an account. Seriously they should allow that as long as they don't make the new interface properly functional. @scruggles something to consider.

• Like 1

Tra5hman    6
19 hours ago, Aseem Bansal said:

I had tried that on an account. Seriously they should allow that as long as they don't make the new interface properly functional. @scruggles something to consider.

I think to do so would be a tacit acknowledgement that the new Evernote Web is flawed - which we believe it is - and hence involve owning up to having made a big mistake.

In my experience few businesses like to own up to their mistakes; which is ironic, because on the few occasions when they do their customers usually respect them for having the guts to do it. Everyone makes mistakes, and it's how you respond to them that provides the measure of you.

Metrodon    1,873

My guess is that implementing the new editor and the associated functionality in the old app was at some point decided to be too difficult. So, the new app was born. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any chance of the new editor being wrapped into the old app and at the current glacial rate it's going to take forever to make the new app functional. That's if they are even at all interested in getting the new app as functional as the old one.