Feature request: Add Date/timestamp about the ORIGINAL DATE/TIME which can be set by the user

Sam Flink

Idea

I use Evernote extensively for notekeeping and I'm really missing the feature to add an customizable Date/Timestamp. For example: when keeping notes about a meeting it would be very helpful to set an fixed date/timestamp to the note so it can be tracked backed in time much easier. 

Other example: sometimes you write a note about a meeting based on handwritten notes. The Creation date isn't much helpful because it's not related to the actual date/time of the subject, nor is the modified time. If you could add a seperate date/time stamp which represents the true date/time of the meeting you could thereby create a complete timeline.

A whole month of work could then be so much easier to look back at. By appling filters the only thing remains are the notes about a specific subject or project in chronological sequence.

How cool would that be :)

Best regards,

Sam

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Sam Flink said:

What I ment is a separate date field just like the Updated and Created Date/time fields.

Okay.  Some folks just hijack the created date and modify it to date minutes and the like.  It seems to be how you want the date to viewed anyway???

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, SMitt said:

Because the date I clipped and added something is also relevant to my filing.

Thanks for the explanation.

13 hours ago, SMitt said:

I really need to be able to date notes by the age of the content rather than when it is added or modified. 

Well, until/if EN implements this I guess it is pick your poison - author date in the note title/body or the Created field.  It would seem if you are most interested in viewing the notes in author date sequence, then modifying the Created field and adding note created date to the title/note body might be the way to go. Could help with searches as well.

When scanning old documents in my paperless quest, I modified the Created field to the date of the document.  This is the only time I have modified the Created field.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, SMitt said:

I am adding my support to this.  I clip rather a lot of research spanning a large authorship period.  Right now I am putting year tags on everything which is not particularly elegant.  I really need to be able to date notes by the age of the content rather than when it is added or modified. 

Exposing the "subject date" field so it can be edited in Windows would provide a way to do this.  Although if this has some other function envisioned by developers a separate authorship field would be better.

Out of interest, any reason you don't want to modify the Created date?

I am adding my support to this.  I clip rather a lot of research spanning a large authorship period.  Right now I am putting year tags on everything which is not particularly elegant.  I really need to be able to date notes by the age of the content rather than when it is added or modified. 

Exposing the "subject date" field so it can be edited in Windows would provide a way to do this.  Although if this has some other function envisioned by developers a separate authorship field would be better.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Currently, a note has various date fields:
             subject date (date or missing value) : The date associated with the note's content

@Evernote, @EvernoteAlex, @Stephane Lo, and all Evernote Product Managers:

Given that the "subject date" field already exists, it should not be that hard to simply make it available in the UI.

• Level 5*
On June 22, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Sam Flink said:

What I ment is a separate date field just like the Updated and Created Date/time fields. Something you can set as a property of  the note instead of a date/time stamp inside the note.

Currently, a note has various date fields:
             creation date (date) : The note's creation date.

modification date (date) : The note's last modification date.

subject date (date or missing value) : The date associated with the note's content

reminder time (date or missing value) : The reminder time for the note.

reminder done time (date or missing value) : The time the reminder for the note was marked completed.
However the dates are not displayed or updatable  on all platforms.

I use the Subject Date field.  I can only display/update it on my Mac using a custom script (applescript) and I have a script that adds it to the bottom of the note, along with other meta data

• Level 5*
On 6/21/2016 at 2:24 AM, Sam Flink said:

I'm really missing the feature to add an customizable Date/Timestamp. For example: when keeping notes about a meeting it would be very helpful to set an fixed date/timestamp to the note so it can be tracked backed in time much easier. 
. . .
How cool would that be :)

Very cool.  I completely agree with your request.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Sam Flink said:

when using a text field it's sorted on AZ instead of true date sorting.

You can get around that by using YYYYMMDD.  I use that in file names for the same reason, but I get what you want, I just don't need it myself.  The two date fields and putting a date in the title when something more is needed, works for me.  Hopefully others will help vote this one up for you.

59 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Ok, as a work around, if you want a dedicated field how about hijacking one of the other fields, that maybe you don't use, such as the Author or Location field?  

Tried other fields as well, but a new date field is more preferable. When you click on a native date/time field Evernote can show up a calender etc. For sorting its also better because  when treated like a date field the sorting is done based on a date, when using a text field it's sorted on AZ instead of true date sorting.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Sam Flink said:

What I ment is a separate date field just like the Updated and Created Date/time fields

Ok, as a work around, if you want a dedicated field how about hijacking one of the other fields, that maybe you don't use, such as the Author or Location field?  

I'm aware of  the current workarounds like setting the date in the title of the note or just inside the note and using those frequently :)

However since it's just Text it does not work as good as having a dedicated field for it. 

What I ment is a separate date field just like the Updated and Created Date/time fields. Something you can set as a property of  the note instead of a date/time stamp inside the note.

That way you can sort the notes on their actual date/time thus creating a chronological view. See below for a screenprint about how it could look like. The whole point of the Custom DTS field is that you can set it to the original Date/Time of the note which is not necessarily the creation date.For example: creating a new note based on handwritten text about a meeting of last week.

Evernote CustomDTS.png

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Sam Flink said:

I use Evernote extensively for notekeeping and I'm really missing the feature to add an customizable Date/Timestamp. For example: when keeping notes about a meeting it would be very helpful to set an fixed date/timestamp to the note so it can be tracked backed in time much easier. 

Other example: sometimes you write a note about a meeting based on handwritten notes. The Creation date isn't much helpful because it's not related to the actual date/time of the subject, nor is the modified time. If you could add a seperate date/time stamp which represents the true date/time of the meeting you could thereby create a complete timeline.

A whole month of work could then be so much easier to look back at. By appling filters the only thing remains are the notes about a specific subject or project in chronological sequence.

I add the datestamp into the title.  On the Mac, the shortcut key is command-shift-D

• Level 5*

Not sure if this is what you are asking but in case you were not aware there are keyboard shortcuts to insert today's date and time.  In Windows, alt + shift + D or ctrl + ; should do it.  I don't want the time so instead use a keyboard macro program to give me just the date.

Archived