3 bugs I'd like to report: one with the iOS app, and two with the bug reporting process

Grant Lewis

Idea

I would like to submit a bug report, but first I need to report that Evernote's bug reporting process is circular and results in the user being continually looped back to the same pages.

In addition, the instructions given for how a user can generate an Activity Log from iPhone are also incorrect.

= = = = =
First, go to Help & Learning / Submit a request.

Under "What can we help you with?" click to select Technical Issues.

Under "Select a topic" click to select Notes.

Under "What type of note issue?" click to select Report a bug.

The page instructs, "Please submit a ticket and provide as much information as possible so we can diagnose the problem." The only link available is to a page with instructions pertaining to the Activity log. The third step for Mac users say, "Attach this file to a new support ticket..." but clicking on the link provided only takes the user back to the Help & Learning / Submit a request page. It's circular.

= = = = =

Next, the actual bug.

On iPhone, I've created a list with check boxes (attached list_pic.jpg).

Notice under "Hallway."

[ ] Closet: add under stair storage access / door

I would like to add another item after this one, and so I click at the end of the line and click Return. Instead of adding a new item, however, the line that I was on is deleted. And shaking the phone to Undo doesn't reverse the problem. I've encountered this bug several times.

= = = = =

Last, the instructions on how to send an Activity Log from iPhone are incorrect. The instructions there state:

• Tap the gear icon in the upper left corner of the Evernote home screen
  • Tap Support from the settings menu
  • To create a new support ticket: tap 'Submit a Support Request', fill out the subject and description, make sure 'Include activity log?' is toggled on, then tap 'Submit.'

But there is no option to 'Submit a Support Request' in the Support menu.

See attached version.png for technical info.

list_pic.jpg

version.png

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Grant Lewis said:

I would like to submit a bug report, but first I need to report that Evernote's bug reporting process is circular and results in the user being continually looped back to the same pages.

There's a link for Support Contact below in my signature section

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Grant Lewis said:

I must be blind. I don't see a link for Support Contact.

I just learned that not everyone see's a post's signature section.  This is mine

I am a user of Evernote 
with a Mac, OS 10.11.5, EN Version 6.8 Beta 1 (453653 Direct)
and an iPad Air 1, IOS 9.3.2, EN 7.14
Evernote Help Center           Contact Evernote Support       Evernote Status Page.
Evernote Guide.                                   

Evernote Search Grammar

On 6/21/2016 at 11:53 AM, DTLow said:

There's a link for Support Contact below in my signature section

Thank you. Unfortunately the link in your signature leads to one of the pages I'm trying to report as having a problem.

On 6/20/2016 at 0:05 PM, Grant Lewis said:

Under "What can we help you with?" click to select Technical Issues.

Under "Select a topic" click to select Notes.

Under "What type of note issue?" click to select Report a bug.

The page instructs, "Please submit a ticket and provide as much information as possible so we can diagnose the problem." The only link available is to a page with instructions pertaining to the Activity log. The third step for Mac users say, "Attach this file to a new support ticket..." but clicking on the link provided only takes the user back to the Help & Learning / Submit a request page. It's circular.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Grant Lewis said:

Thank you. Unfortunately the link in your signature leads to one of the pages I'm trying to report as having a problem.

This is what I  see when using the link to contact support

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 7.04.11 AM.png

Right. The green "Activity log" link shown in your screenshot is to a page with instructions pertaining to the Activity log. When the user clicks the link, he sees that the third step on that page for Mac users says, "Attach this file to a new support ticket...." But clicking on the link provided only takes the user back to the Help & Learning / Submit a request page. It's circular.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Grant Lewis said:

Right. The green "Activity log" link shown in your screenshot is to a page with instructions pertaining to the Activity log. When the user clicks the link, he sees that the third step on that page for Mac users says, "Attach this file to a new support ticket...." But clicking on the link provided only takes the user back to the Help & Learning / Submit a request page. It's circular.

I can't comment on the Activity log link.  How about clicking on Submit Ticket at the bottom

WOW !!!
SUCH A LONG READ TO FIND OUT EXACTLY THE SAME THING !!!!
COULDN't HAVE THEY ALLOWED FREE USERS TO ALSO REPORT BUGS???????????????!

I mean it is in their best interest to solve the every issue the program might have 

SUCH A CLUNKY INTERFACE... I'm considering switching from EVERNOTE

I can't annotate an image without having to switch to another note after i paste the image into one.

4 hours ago, hype23 said:

WOW !!!
SUCH A LONG READ TO FIND OUT EXACTLY THE SAME THING !!!!
COULDN't HAVE THEY ALLOWED FREE USERS TO ALSO REPORT BUGS???????????????!

I mean it is in their best interest to solve the every issue the program might have 

SUCH A CLUNKY INTERFACE... I'm considering switching from EVERNOTE

I can't annotate an image without having to switch to another note after i paste the image into one.

Welcome to the forums, @hype23. I've edited your post to remove the profanity, please refrain from using foul language when posting on the forums. Thanks.

I ditched Evernote about a month ago. Now I'm using Notes on my Macs and other Apple devices. I know Evernote's got to turn a profit, but the restrictions that they placed on free users were just too much. Since the switch I'm able to access my Notes on all of my devices and fully share them with family members.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Grant Lewis said:

Since the switch I'm able to access my Notes on all of my devices and fully share them with family members.

Its nice that you're happy
Not sure what you're problems are, but Evernote users are also able to access their notes on all their devices and share them with family members.  The free accounts do have a restriction on two simultaneous devices.

How does bug reporting work with Notes?

Not sure if you're intending to sound confrontational or if it's just the limitations of online communication. I'll assume the latter.

I needed to access my notes on more than two devices. That recently-imposed restriction was the final straw for me. And those with whom I shared notes were not able to edit them. I've been able to sidestep those problems since moving to Notes on MacOS and iOS.

As for bugs, I couldn't say as I have not yet encountered any bugs to report. But since I had no mechanism for reporting bugs in Evernote, attempting the same in Notes certainly won't be any less productive.

I understand that Evernote needs to turn a profit. I also understand that they impose limitations on free users in order to move them to paid accounts. I don't fault them for that. For me, switching to Notes on MacOS / iOS was the right move.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, hype23 said:

You might try triggering a manual sync after doing the paste

On 11/11/2016 at 6:34 PM, DTLow said:

You might try triggering a manual sync after doing the paste

Thank you for the suggestion!
Sadly, it doesn't solve the issue.

I did find another workaround which takes the same time AND YOU LOOSE your view of the note (if you were in the middle of it - tough luck!). Drag and drop the image a bit and let the note refresh. This is slow on my PC; Instead, clicking on another note and reverting back has the same effect, only with less time consumption, I think & the annotate button appears if you click the newly pasted image after doing so.

I posted this bug somewhere in the forum. Hope they'll fix it. In the mean time I'll do some research to find another app for storing cloud-based notes and prepare for a switch.

Archived