Convert .enb files to .enex

I have my notes stored in .enb files, and have been using Evernote V2 for a long time.  However, I downloaded V6 (the latest version) and find that not only can I not open my .enb files in V6.  There seems to be no direct way of converting them or importing them into V6.

I picked up the posting at this URL:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/84442-how-do-i-find-old-evernote-2-executables-to-migrate-enb-files/#comment-363265

I downloaded the EN2Export software and have it on my computer, but need to know how it works, how to run it, and how to direct it to convert a specific .enb file in a specific folder.

Would someone please assist me with this.

Stuart Aitchison

• Level 5*

Hi. The links and comments in that thread are pretty much the entire store of existing human knowledge on how to update (very) old databases into new,  and unless one of the original contributors is able to give a blow-by-blow account of how they managed to do that,  I don't know if anyone is equipped to even start testing how (or if) these utilities work. 

I can only suggest that you keep an archive copy of your database(s) somewhere very safe as a backup,  then fire up EN2Export and follow the prompts on screen. 

I'd imagine you'll need to point it to a copy of the database file,  and that after an indefinite period it will spit out a version that's more in tune with more recent versions of Evernote. @kvitekp is the technical guru behind the software,  but I don't know whether even he has been able to test it out on 'real' data.

Does your original V2 version export notes to any different formats?  An alternative - especially if some notes aren't converted fully by the software - may be to export some/ all notes to something like HTML (if that's possible) and re-import them into a more recent Evernote version.

Good luck with your search - and we'd be grateful if you'd consider sharing details of whatever process you eventually follow in case there are other V2 users still out there...

(And keep an eye on the forums here - you may still get more helpful feedback!)

• Level 5

@Stuart Aitchison Here's an updated EN2Export tool: it's freshly built for Evernote 6.x and step by step instructions are included in the readme.txt file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12760413/EN2Export.zip

The conversion process is pretty straightforward: you use EN2Export to create a modern Evernote database from the old EverNote 2.x database, then you export the converted database into .ENEX format that could be imported into any modern version of Evernote.

The current version of EN2Export tool converts only html and text notes. Other EN2 note formats are skipped. Please let me know if this is a problem and I'll do my best to update the tool.

Hope this helps.

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, hezahonker said:

These files are not accessible. I have a time machine backup of databases I tried restoring the version of evernote that those databases came from but it would appear the import did not work. 

H.  These are rather old,  and no longer supported,  Evernote database files,  hence the need for a conversion process.  What happens if you convert the file using the software above and then set up a new (current) Evernote instance and import the notes?

I don't think I am making myself clear. I would gladly use the conversion software if I could access it. The links provided above do not work. They lead to pages that say the content is missing or no longer there. I hope that helps. 

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, hezahonker said:

I don't think I am making myself clear. I would gladly use the conversion software if I could access it. The links provided above do not work. They lead to pages that say the content is missing or no longer there. I hope that helps. 

I just used the link in the post below and downloaded the zip file

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, hezahonker said:

These files are not accessible. I have a time machine backup of databases I tried restoring the version of evernote that those databases came from but it would appear the import did not work. 

The link works fine for me, but since you're referring to a "time machine" backup, I'm guessing you're using the Mac client. The EN2Export is a Windows utility, so it may not work for you...

38 minutes ago, jefito said:

The link works fine for me, but since you're referring to a "time machine" backup, I'm guessing you're using the Mac client. The EN2Export is a Windows utility, so it may not work for you...

Excellent, thank you for reading my first post and understanding this is Mac. The point is moot then. Unless someone has a solution for Mac. 

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, hezahonker said:

Excellent, thank you for reading my first post and understanding this is Mac. The point is moot then. Unless someone has a solution for Mac. 

Do you have access to your data via the web platform?  We could look at a cloud solution.

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Do you have access to your data via the web platform?  We could look at a cloud solution.

I do not that I know of. Can you explain what is needed and I will let you know what can be done. In terms of the database, it is simply a time machine backup database folder containing the enl files. I've been trying to wrap my head around how I can port this in some way shape or form. Any help is appreciated. My mac required a complete wipe and I was unable to recover my files after 2014 in time machine. 

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, hezahonker said:

I do not that I know of. Can you explain what is needed and I will let you know what can be done. In terms of the database, it is simply a time machine backup database folder containing the enl files. I've been trying to wrap my head around how I can port this in some way shape or form. Any help is appreciated. My mac required a complete wipe and I was unable to recover my files after 2014 in time machine. 

In the current version of Evernote, the data is maintained on the Evernote servers.

We have a copy on our Mac/Win devices, but it's not that important because the master version is on the Evernote servers

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, hezahonker said:

I do have web access to my account. Not sure what the master contains and how it compares to what I had.

You can sign in at www.evernote.com and see what notes are available

>>In terms of deleted items, can those be restored, and are those retained on server?

Thats another issue.
Generally, deleted notes are retained in the Trash

27 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You can sign in at www.evernote.com and see what notes are available

>>In terms of deleted items, can those be restored, and are those retained on server?

Thats another issue.
Generally, deleted notes are retained in the Trash

I understand. Thanks. However, it would appear that my notes, old tags and notebooks are all gone. I still have some but not all. I was hoping to open up the old files and compare, but I know that many are gone. Nothing in trash. 

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:47 PM, kvitekp said:

Attached the EN2Export.zip here to make sure it does not depend on Dropbox...

EN2Export.zip

Thank you for making this utility.  You solved my problem. 

A couple of quick comments on the process:

1. The Read Me file has a typo/s. In Step 1, the old database file format begins as  .enb and it converts to .exb   --- but you inadvertently use .exb for all mentions. 

2. I used the [DebugMenu] method for Step 2 and it quickly did the trick.

After upgrading to the latest version, I was incredibly upset to discover that the new version was incompatible with older databases and also cannot import the older free version .enx export file (only .enex).  But this utility saved the day! If you ever have time to make it work for other note types (beyond text/html) that would be awesome as well. (I think I lost a few notes.) Overall however, I'm very happy that I was able to re-gain access to ~99% of my old DB.

Again, thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5

Hello fellow Evernote users! So good to see some old names here!

Pleople keep contacting me personally when looking for those Evernote for Windows related tools that are not supported by Evernote officially.

Here's the new location for those tools which does not depend on any 3rd party cloud strorage:  http://www.kvitek.com/en/

Best,
Peter Kvitek
exEvernote.

Archived