Client software generates shared URL and conflicts with itself on next sync from the same client machine, very bad behavior.

I'm using Evernote 6.1.2(currently latest) Windows client software. I think this problem has existed for at least two years and I hope it get fixed soon.

Do these steps to reproduce the problem, only one client machine involved:

1. Create a new note in notebook named "MyWork"(this name does not matter), type in some words, for example, "version one".
  2. Press F9 to have this note sync to server.
  3. Generate a share URL by executing "Copy share URL". I got URL like http://www.evernote.com/l/ABWSUWf..... . Wait several seconds until that URL really appears in my clipboard.
  4. Immediately edit that note again. This time, type in "version two".
  5. Press F9 to sync again; wait for the sync to complete.

Now, I see bad behavior happens. I got a fresh note in "Conflicting Changes" folder with content "version two", And the note in MyWork has content "version one". 

You see the problem? My latest modification goes to "Conflicted changes" and gets hidden(not easily noticed), and my further editing of my note suddenly gets based on an older version. Imagine my working note contains thousands of words and I do editing back and forth between the paragraphs, the sudden reverting back may be very hard to notice.

There seems hardly no way to prevent this from happening, and there is only remedy by using a text comparing software like BeyondCompare to compare the conflicted note with the "normal" one, then pick out what should be preserved.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, Jimm Chen said:

I'm using Evernote 6.1.2(currently latest) Windows client software. I think this problem has existed for at least two years and I hope it get fixed soon.

Do these steps to reproduce the problem, only one client machine involved:

1. Create a new note in notebook named "MyWork"(this name does not matter), type in some words, for example, "version one".
  2. Press F9 to have this note sync to server.
  3. Generate a share URL by executing "Copy share URL". I got URL like http://www.evernote.com/l/ABWSUWf..... . Wait several seconds until that URL really appears in my clipboard.
  4. Edit that note again. This time, type in "version two".
  5. Press F9 to sync again; wait for the sync to complete.

Now, I see bad behavior happens. I got a fresh note in "Conflicting Changes" folder with content "version two", And the note in MyWork has content "version one". 

You see the problem? My latest modification goes to "Conflicted changes" and gets hidden(not easily noticed), and my further editing of my note suddenly gets based on an older version. Imagine my working note contains thousands of words and I do editing back and forth between the paragraphs, the sudden reverting back may be very hard to notice.

There seems hardly no way to prevent this from happening, and there is only remedy by using a text comparing software like BeyondCompare to compare the conflicted note with the "normal" one, then pick out what should be preserved.

I would recommend opening a support ticket, listing this as a bug.  There's a link to the support site below in my signature.

Is the "create link" a required step to recreate this error?

Yes. "create link" is a required action to trigger this problem. In other word, For a already URL-shared note several days ago, copying its URL again then going on edit does not exhibit such problem.

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Jimm Chen said:

Until Evernote gets this resolved, you might try doing a sync after step 3 Generate a share URL by executing "Copy share URL"

Thats the only server action I can think of to cause a conflict

Archived