64 bit architecture - PLEASE!

4ezm

Idea

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On June 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM, 4ezm said:

Please Evernote, your excellent product is so bogged down and behind! Often almost unusable.

I'm not finding Evernote bogged down - you should open a support ticket.  
I'm not sure 64 bit architecture is your problem/solution.
How many notes do you have?  Whats the size of your database?

I'm running 7000 notes with a 3GB database

I just realized this is probably most likely why Evernote is so bogged down on my system as well - no 64-bit version for 64-bit systems. Evernote 6 freezes every time I perform a search. It's searching through my notes but the program locks up every single time. I currently have 2628 notes on a Windows 10 OS with a 600GB disk and 6GB RAM. 

I'm a heavy user of OneNote as well and I use the 64-bit version of OneNote and it works smooth and fast, nothing bogged down about it. Microsoft insists that if people have 64-bit systems to use the 64-bit version of OneNote for that reason. Makes sense that Evernote would too.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, Holmes245 said:

I just realized this is probably most likely why Evernote is so bogged down on my system as well - no 64-bit version for 64-bit systems. Evernote 6 freezes every time I perform a search. It's searching through my notes but the program locks up every single time.

As others have commented, it is very likely this is not the reason for the search issues you are seeing.  When you say freeze or lock up do you mean the program never responds and you have to reboot or is the response just delayed?  If just delayed, several of us had experienced that and solved it by switching from an HDD to an SSD, so definitely storage delays, at least for us.  Others are using HDDs and never experience this problem so I don't know why some databases are susceptible and others are not.

The response is delayed and Evernote fades out as the system indicates Evernote not responding. I hate to compare Evernote and OneNote in this way but I don't have any issues with OneNote at all like this and I shouldn't have to switch out my drive for Evernote. Evernote, among all the software I use or have used on my system, is the only program that ever does this. Every other program works fine. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Holmes245 said:

The response is delayed and Evernote fades out as the system indicates Evernote not responding. I hate to compare Evernote and OneNote in this way but I don't have any issues with OneNote at all like this and I shouldn't have to switch out my drive for Evernote. Evernote, among all the software I use or have used on my system, is the only program that ever does this. Every other program works fine. 

Again, there are no guarantees that making Evernote 64-bit will make this problem go away, or faster or more reliable in general. Plus it presents a whole new set of problems to the developers; it's not just a "turn on the 64-bit switch" and voila. I'd bet that they probably have already experimented internally with this to some level; if they saw a big benefit, they'd almost certainly push on that harder. 64-bit versions of Windows are certainly capable of running 32-bit programs; where I work, we do support both 32- and 64-bit versions of our software, but it's not always easy.

As a side note, I did move my note databases (home and work) onto an SSD, and the laggy moments -- as when typing in a search -- did tend to go away. So that suggests to me that disk I/O is a bottleneck; that may or may not be resolvable by just going to 64 bits.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Holmes245 said:

Agreed that one shouldn't have to swap out their drive to get adequate performance.  I was looking to get overall system improvement so didn't make the change just for this reason but was pleasantly pleased when everything did get peppier, especially Evernote.  This does seem to be an EN Windows issue only.  Mac users don't seem to have this problem and it has been speculated that the difference is due to how the database is structured.  In Windows everything is in one large file and manipulating that can be IO intensive.  I believe Mac structures everything in individual files.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, fredhammersmith said:

So, no plans for a 64-bit architecture?

Would be nice but Evernote doesn't release any plans for anything. I guess the other question would be what percentage of users have machines that could run the 64-bit version. That will probably influence their decision. I don't know any answers, I am a mere mortal (average user).

Archived