brampeirs

Feature Request: Markdown Support

Idea

23 replies to this idea

+1 for Markdown support!

Evernote devs, this would be a dream come true for you! You could ditch your mediocre rich text efforts and replace it with a python script that actually works.

• Like 1

If you really want +1, why not simply "liking" the 1st post?

• Like 1

For sure, the actual text editor is the worst part of Evernote.

Its gotten to the point where if I need something to be formatted accurately and it's a little complex, I do it in markdown using something like Quiver 3 or Code, then copy/paste the preview text into EV.

Please guys, stop reinventing this particular wheel. Go markdown and free up development time for more interesting things.

By accident, I noticed something "markdown-like" on the Mac version.  As someone who takes lots of code chunk notes, I find myself often

1. creating a one-cell table
  2. pasting the code from editor or command line
  3. formatting it mono-space font

This sets the code apart from the rest of the explanatory text.

Today I was doing this for a markdown sample and I stumbled on the fact that if I start a line with three back-ticks and press enter, it automatically turns into a mono-space font box.  This works for me on Mac OS with EN 6.5.

Native app support for Markdown would be amazing to have and so useful. I'd love to see this feature added in the near future!

Hey y'all,

It looks like a lot of you are interested in Markdown support, so I've moved this thread to our product feedback forum so y'all can vote on this. You can vote by clicking the arrows at the top of the thread, to the left of the thread title. Happy voting!

Vote.jpg

• Like 3

Hey there,

Next to HTML and the Evernote XML format it would be fantastic to also have a Markdown export option. Shouldn't be too hard to create.

Cheers,

/marc

• Like 1

Please Please Please suport Markdown!!!!!

In Evernote, every time when I need to add heading text, I must adjust the text size and font weight, this action so unconfortable, please think about this.

• Like 2

Absolutely!! But don't do things half the way!

I'm using MarkdownHere and now it's so paintful because, for example, the browser EN also replaces the ** for the bold letters! See post: 

This is most needed!! But please don't do it half way!! 

Using only part of the conversions from Markdown destroys a solution that although not optimal was perfectly working! See:

I use Evernote quite a bit, but am repeatedly let down by its lack of markdown support and nested lists.
In regards to MarkDown support, this has led to hours of me wasting time looking for alternative solutions and configuring third party solutions.
Although I can understand some trepidation with switching from rich text to markdown (despite the repeated requests on this forum) , what I can't understand is the lack of nested lists. Nested lists are supported in all major word processors, and are used in a broad range of note taking methods. I can't for the life of me understand why this feature request has been ignored for touching on 7 years.

Really need to have Markdown support native. I love using evernote but the formatting of notes needs improvement. Markdown would solve this.

5 hours ago, Mackley said:

I really like Markdown. I use it in my favourite journaling app, Day One http://dayoneapp.com/

I use Day One also and love Markdown. Just started using  Ulysses also. Great markdown support in both. Huge gap for Evernote. :(

Please if you do implement Markdown support keep the plain text aspect that we love of markdown. That is please don't convert the typed text, just the styling of them. Example

Markdown:

# Awesome Cool Title
## Snappy subtitle

I like making short lists in Evernote

* Because it syncs
* Because it's quick
* Because I can

Output should be

# Awesome Cool Title
## Snappy subtitle

* Because it syncs
   * Because it's quick
   * Because I can

It should not be this. Because it makes it very difficult to edit it again, if I want to change the title then it no longer has the #'s which I can increase or decrease the number. This is just a formatting shortcut, it does not preserve the markdown, and the point of markdown is to be readable plain text markup. 

Awesome Cool Title
Snappy subtitle

• Because it syncs
  • Because it's quick
  • Because I can

Look at the way Marxico does this, it's beautiful to use, just a shame it's missing the rest of Evernote and organisation in the same window. Marxico also locks the page for editing and ruins any flow you may have, which is a big shame. 

On 09/06/2016 at 12:07 PM, marcthiele said:

Next to HTML and the Evernote XML format

How you edit these two in an easy way in Evernote?