Bryanne

Internal Note Links/ Inline Tags / Create Anchor Points in Notes

Idea

what i really want to see is links in the IOS 

on MAC i can see them on the top but they despair in IOS 

this is a good idea 

Before you write a note, you need to decide: what exactly do you want to convey to all progressive humanity? What thoughts, feelings, methods, etc.? Here are the questions that I use when I write to check the spelling critical essay writing help of the text. In the scientific world there is a good canon of thought design, which implies the answer to the following questions:

What problem am I trying to solve?
    How was she solved before me?
    What is the novelty of my solution methods compared to its predecessors?

For example, you want to describe your personal time planning system. Try to identify the shortcomings of the previous methods or planning systems, and show at the expense of what its features your system does not suffer from these shortcomings. It is desirable to clearly state the problem area and novelty at the very beginning of the article and in the abstract.

By the way, this canon is convenient not only for writers, but also for readers.

57 minutes ago, Cody Sartony said:

Before you write a note,

Note definition:

• a brief record of facts, topics, or thoughts, written down as an aid to memory.
  • a short informal letter or written message.

My point is, for serious work, I use proper writing tools; not the Evernote editor/format
I store the document in Evernote as a note attachment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cody Sartony said:

Before you write a note, you need to decide: what exactly do you want to convey to all progressive humanity?

Is this related to this topic, namely, the feature request to add internal anchors to Evernote notes?

Before you write a topic comment, you need to decide: how exactly does it pertain to the topic at hand...

Your comment is probably good advice, but would be better served to have een made elsewhere in the forum, maybe in the General iscussions Forum (https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/53-evernote-general-discussions/) or one of its subforums.

Yes, I need this. Evernote is limited for me without TOC and jump links.

I use evernote every day for academic work.  Inline tags would be an HUGE help, as I generate very long notes, and frequently want to search in them.  I currently use a workaround, including something like [_tag] so that at least it is searchable.  But an properly supported system would be much better.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:34 AM, Vladislav Krakhalev said:

And yet another one simple feature is not realized. I started to think that user is not the main priority for evernote team. Looking for alternatives..

Very frustrating.
I'm trying the fee opensource encrypted alternative Joplin.
It offers both internal anchors and encryption - you provide your own storage or use dropbox, google drive, icloud, ... and you can sync it to all your devices
I'm still using Evernote but those days are numbered until I see some improvements.

+1 from me. I absolutely rely on ToC/bookmark navigation within notes for speaking assignments and teaching resources. 

The workaround using many separate notes and a table of contents note might work for some people. For me, it isn't a solution.

Fortunately, jump links are becoming general in other apps e.g. Word, OneNote, Google Docs + Keep, Zoho Writer, Notion, Dropbox Paper, iWriter etc.

I'd like to use Evernote as more than a digital filing cabinet. This is a limitation. I would urge Evernote to catch up with the field – and even better, innovate for a change!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greiggy said:

I absolutely rely on ToC/bookmark navigation...

Fortunately, jump links are becoming general in other apps e.g. Word, OneNote, Google Docs + Keep, Zoho Writer, Notion, Dropbox Paper, iWriter etc.

I'd like to use Evernote as more than a digital filing cabinet. ...

Digital filing cabinet works for me.  
My documents are Word/Pages format and include ToC/bookmark navigation

I'd also really like this feature. However, as this request is almost 5 years old, can we assume it's not on the roadmap?

Linking between notes is not a viable alternative as it would be too complex to divide them into logical sections.

3 hours ago, Ginjam said:

I'd also really like this feature. However, as this request is almost 5 years old, can we assume it's not on the roadmap?

Linking between notes is not a viable alternative as it would be too complex to divide them into logical sections.

Me too, and I agree to this.

3 hours ago, Ginjam said:

However, as this request is almost 5 years old, can we assume it's not on the roadmap?

I have no knowlege of Evernote's roadmap, but I think that's a safe assumption.

>>Linking between notes is not a viable alternative as it would be too complex to divide them into logical sections.

I'd be looking at work-arounds, such as using a differnt format.

This first note in this thread states that Anchor notes is "impossible".  First, are you kidding, anything is possible.  Second, you should hire people who know this.  Third, if this many people want this feature and your (Evernote) think it's impossible the correct approach is to assign the task of a whitepaper on why its impossible (Specifically).  If by the end of the paper that person can't give you a solution you have the wrong person.  But if the solution is complex or abstract give the problem to a real programmer or 2.  You will get solutions.  Review that for consistency with your implementation philosophy, see where it breaks, fix that, add the feature, and move on.

YES!! 

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The post was indicating that Anchors are not possible using the existing Evernote editor/format (2015).
It's still not possible using the Evernote editor/format

You're welcome to indicate your support for the request using the voting buttons in the upper left corner.
So far, Evernote has not considered this a priority for notes

YOU ARE SOO ACCURATE! Make this happen! 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, umina said:

First, are you kidding, anything is possible.

👍 😂 

And I agree to this.

Edited by MatS14
"And I agree to this"

Pending EN doing anything I solved this for my self using PhraseExpress.  I add keywords at the front of the note body, all preceded by an underscore.  Then I hover over a keyword and use the Phrase express hot key which is a Alt + right mouse.  Not particularly elegant but saves all the teeth gnashing.  By product is the hot key finds any word in a note.  FWIW. 

On 4/30/2019 at 1:41 PM, umina said:

This first note in this thread states that Anchor notes is "impossible".  First, are you kidding, anything is possible. 

First, you didn't understand what the first poster was saying, and it would really help if you learned to use the forum quoting mechanism so it would be easier to see what you were objecting to. I am guessing that it's this post:

This is not saying that it's not possible for Evernote to implement such a feature, just that the OP cannot do what they want in the current Evernote world.

Second, you should hire people who know this. 

Second, the person who wrote the above post is not an Evernote employee; he's an Evernote user just like you and me.

Third, if this many people want this feature and your (Evernote) think it's impossible the correct approach is to assign the task of a whitepaper on why its impossible (Specifically).

Again, nobody at all is claiming that the feature is impossible to implement.

If by the end of the paper that person can't give you a solution you have the wrong person.  But if the solution is complex or abstract give the problem to a real programmer or 2.  You will get solutions.  Review that for consistency with your implementation philosophy, see where it breaks, fix that, add the feature, and move on.

Nice rant, but irrelevant. Add your vote, and move on.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Pending EN doing anything I solved this for my self using PhraseExpress.  I add keywords at the front of the note body, all preceded by an underscore.  Then I hover over a keyword and use the Phrase express hot key which is a Alt + right mouse.  Not particularly elegant but saves all the teeth gnashing.  By product is the hot key finds any word in a note.  FWIW. 

Could you elaborate a bit on your setup using PhraseExpress? I seems interesting.

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, greiggy said:

Having got used to using jump links to navigate in a variety of docs and notes, it is hard to put up with Evernote's limitation. Increasingly I am having to rely on Evernote's competitors which all seem to do jump link/bookmark navigation rather well. 

I am familiar with "jump links" and make use of them.

They're more of a document feature; not so much notes.

I can put up with with Evernote's "limitation" by using a word processing file attachment, or splitting notes into sub-notes (note links)

Thanks, DTLow, and I agree with your strategy. For many situations... But I keep coming back to wanting jump links in Evernote and not having to swap between applications.

I think Evernote needs to be aware of the shift in expectations of users who will now be familiar with navigation in OneNote, Notion, Dropbox Paper,  ZohoWriter as well as the heavyweights MS Word, Apple Pages, Google Docs etc. 

Evernote must adapt and move on, or it will wake up and discover that its user base has moved on...

Thisss I need it!

This is vital feature, and I'm astonished It has not been yet introduced. I hope that new beta Evernote will make this possible.

This is badly needed. GDocs has excellent functionality to create a simple Table of Contents with anchor tags that is synced to text. Please add!

On 9/14/2015 at 10:15 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  AFAIK this is not possible;  you can link to notes,  but not to headings,  or bookmarks.  You could set up keywords at various points in a document and jump with searches - but that's not embeddable in a document.  You could also use a document type that includes this sort of linkability - Word documents or PDFs for example - and attach that to your note.

Suggestion of implementation

Have all H1, H2, ect auto create anchor points directly as an html element with conflict resilience with random note unique addition or only the random addition to help match current share URL style;

<h1 name="chapter-1-(iiop)">Chapter 1</a>
<h2 name="the-first-point-(273j)">The First Point</a>
<h1 name="chapter-2-(182u)">Chapter 2</a>
<h2 name="the-second-point-(273o)">The Second Point</a>
<h2 name="the-third-point-(yh76)">The Third Point</a>
<h3 name="refs-(iow1)">Ref's</a>
<h1 name="chapter-3-(ei8h)">Chapter 3</a>
<h3 name="refs-(10dj)">Ref's</a>

or

<h1 name="iiop">Chapter 1</a>
<h2 name="273j">The First Point</a>
<h1 name="182u">Chapter 2</a>
<h2 name="273o">The Second Point</a>
<h2 name="yh76">The Third Point</a>
<h3 name="iow1">Ref's</a>
<h1 name="ei8h">Chapter 3</a>
<h3 name="10dj">Ref's</a>

Then have an auto generated contents option to add and link/jump to (with style options), with flexibility when adding size options without breaking formats (see "10dj" in example) and auto refresh on note ether in near real time or every time a manual refresh/note is opened. Example 1 style wise;

• Chapter 1
    • The First Point
  • Chapter 2
    • The Second Point
    • The Third Point
      • Ref's
  • Chapter 3
    • Ref's

Example 2 style wise;

Chapter 1
 The First Point
Chapter 2
 The Second Point
 The Third Point
  Ref's
Chapter 3
 Ref's

Example 3 style wise:

• Chapter 1
  • The First Point
  • Chapter 2
  • The Second Point
  • The Third Point
    • Ref's
  • Chapter 3
  • Ref's

Example 4 style wise:

• Chapter 1: The First Point
  • Chapter 2: The Second Point / The Third Point >> Ref's
  • Chapter 3: Ref's

-------------------------

Edit: One last idea, have in link function (or a right click insert) searchable links to headers in document or title with link (again searchable popup) for quick reference.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, thatdh said:

Suggestion of implementation

Hi.  Thanks for that,  but I don't imagine Evernote are unsure how to implement this function;  they just haven't made space in their schedule yet to include the work.  It's impressive that this feature now has over 400 votes,  but I suspect that other work they've talked about to do with harmonising the functionality between different operating systems,  and upgrading the editor features will delay any single-feature requests like linking until it's added as part of the new architecture.

The fact that this is a standard feature of html going way back (not sure how far, but I know I used it years ago!) indicates this is a question of priority rather than possibility. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brother Tobias said:

he fact that this is a standard feature of html going way back (not sure how far, but I know I used it years ago!) indicates this is a question of priority rather than possibility. 

Wot I said (but more elegantly put...)  ;)

On 6/24/2019 at 4:07 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Thanks for that,  but I don't imagine Evernote are unsure how to implement this function;  they just haven't made space in their schedule yet to include the work.  It's impressive that this feature now has over 400 votes,  but I suspect that other work they've talked about to do with harmonising the functionality between different operating systems,  and upgrading the editor features will delay any single-feature requests like linking until it's added as part of the new architecture.

More a UX idea rather then a coding suggestion but felt it was best illustrated in both, if only rudimentary.

Yes I expect they are busy, especially when it comes to there more general 2019 road map https://evernote.com/blog/looking-ahead-evernotes-priorities-2019/ thought it they start slipping on some of the details their 'top of the category' position might be more unstable as other more targeted products come out.

I seriously feel for the devs when there must be such a push for enterprise use and stability and when more and more of their direct rivals are the likes of Microsoft and Google themselves (though Googles workflow differs enough with keep + drive docs that maybe its more direct with Microsoft's one note?).

Would be genuinely interesting to see what selling points sets are valued the most, I know text recognition on images must be one of the killers.

29 minutes ago, thatdh said:

Would be genuinely interesting to see what selling points sets are valued the most, I know text recognition on images must be one of the killers.

What I value most is the storage/organization/sync of my data

You're right - Evernote's OCR feature is/was one of the "killer" selling points

I may be the exception but text recognition on images is not a feature I make much use of.
I rely more on tag searches.
I can do my own OCR, with an external app

I am not sure I have ever used text recognition of images...

There are more important things. Evernote is not doing well as keeping up with competitors, let alone pioneering (as it once did). This spells decline, in today's fast moving world.

There are lot of votes aggregating, for important features. No sign of implementation. Previously loyal users will find solutions elsewhere, in this climate.

33 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I may be the exception but text recognition on images is not a feature I make much use of.

Always a surprise for me when an image appears in the results of a text search.  :)

Not being much of a tagger I do find this occasionally useful.  I will take pictures of something and just stuff it into Evernote knowing that a word search will dig it out for me later.

It would be awesome to have anchor links within a note, I have huge notes and I always want to add new content in the subtopic where it belongs, it takes me forever sometimes to find what I'm looking for so I can start writing under it. Even though I have titles and subtitles, I don't always remember what I called them to be able to search, so anchors with a little table of contents on the top of a note would be really handy!

2 hours ago, Thais SRG said:

It would be awesome to have anchor links within a note

Hi.  Recent Videos* suggest that Evernote is in the process of a root and branch rewrite of the Web (and other) clients,  so we should now be able to look forward to some of our requests being realized in months rather than years.  Given that this one has 425 votes now,  I'd hope that it's likely to be part of the package,  but a few extra votes can't hurt if anyone out there wants to chime in...

* See: