Bryanne

Inline Tags / Create Anchor Points in Notes

Idea

hello team Evernote - you do realise that OneNote allows linking to individual paragraphs not just between notes...? MS are doing a great job of marketing to non-profits spreading themselves through all sorts of nooks in society. You need to make a better job of responding to this kind of request when the competition has already got it covered to the max.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I find this to be the best work around in the absence of internal hyperlinks.
. . .

• I can simulate collapsing and expanding sections by using links to sub-documents

Thanks for sharing.

It is a workaround, but, iMO, not a very good one.  Won't work for me.

• It's just like opening up a new web page
  • You can't the the surrounding context of the previous/next section
  • Navigation is cumbersome

Anchors are basic, long-standing HTML behavior.  There's really no excuse for Evernote not to implement.

• Like 3

+1 for anchoring links within the same note.

This would be HUGELY, HUGELY helpful.

I'm amazed at this point this obvious feature does not exist. 

Why waste time and resources on complex secondary features like "work chat" when the basics like this and selective local sync on computers are not covered?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Can you explain the "primary sourcen." --

I put everything into evernote (approx 7000 notes). I switched to paperless a while ago. F.e.: my insurance documents, Invoices, Guarantee documents and more are scanned and tagged. So I can find it fast - Thtats what I really love on EN.

But when it comes to "serious" note taking: I suffer each time with the editors possebilities (Tables got better after years), but: Table of Content (like: Confluence), Inline Taggging (like: Google Keep), The way of handling Content (like: Notion.so), Smart Objects (like excerps of notes (Confluence), Emedd videos, google maps and more (like: Notion), automatically updating links and link lists), Nested Searches / Nested Favorites, Smart Searches (where I can change parameters like the date range), Annotations inside of notes (like Confluence, Google Docs), Styles inside of nodes (Headings, Toc, Lists, Collapsable Lists, Anchors, Sub/Sup-Script. The editor in fact is very basic - and copying notes from other sources like web/office offten scramble my content - so I need to fix/align it manually.

Don't get me wrong: I rely on EN, but the UI is extremely outdated by it's capabilities (in comparison to other online editors / note taking apps).

So I'm working only "static" on it, but new stuff I put elsewhere (an import it later). - So I changed my workflows to try to get around with thats what's missing in EN.

Searching - or eaven loading offline notes on Android is a pain. It takes partially forever to lead a simple locale text note.

• Like 1

SInce 2014 this idea - inline links/anchors have been asked for.  It is now 2019  Come On Evernote!

• Like 1

What constantly surprises me about Evernote is that, although it is essentially a digital filing cabinet, they encourage users to use it for other things as well. But they don't adapt it sufficiently to make anything else than a digital filing cabinet.

When I started using EN I became very enthusiastic about it & was constantly looking at ways to extend its functionality. Example: ne of my new passions is journalling, which I started doing in Evernote but because of its poor text editor I now use another app.

So, 1 1/2 years after having embraced Evernote, I have come to the conclusion described in the 1st paragraph & only use it as a (semi)permanent store of my documents & records. Having said that, it is very good for that & things like the Web Clipper & Clearly are the best around. Even OneNote's web clipper is nothing more than a screenshot taker, therefore pathetic compared to Evernote's web clipper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing with workarounds is that they work more or less, but it is long-winded and after a while it becomes a PITA. But, for the patient & not-fussy, it works & is good enough.

• Like 2

This has been discussed before a couple of times. No real indication whether Evernote are interested or not.

• Like 1

I think the rationale behind Evernote is to provide a very good general tool that can be applied across multiple use cases. With a little imagination you can nearly always create a workaround.

In this case, you could use a nonsense text string as the anchor and then search the note.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Evernote is brilliant - could not navigate life without it!!

A feature that I feel is dearly needed and would be tremendous to have is the ability to create an anchor point in notes.

eg if I am working on a lengthy note and constantly referring to other notes at the same time I want the ability to specify a point where I am working in that note so I can go straight back to it.

Also, when you open a note it goes straight to the start of the note. You always have to scroll down to the bottom of the note to add to it.

Many thanks for any comments. 

In Windows, if you open your main note in it's own window (double click it), you can reference your other notes in the main EN window and when you return to the prime note you will be on the same "page", or if the window is visible, you can click on the spot.  FWIW as a workaround.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Evernote is brilliant - could not navigate life without it!!

A feature that I feel is dearly needed and would be tremendous to have is the ability to create an anchor point in notes.

eg if I am working on a lengthy note and constantly referring to other notes at the same time I want the ability to specify a point where I am working in that note so I can go straight back to it.

Also, when you open a note it goes straight to the start of the note. You always have to scroll down to the bottom of the note to add to it.

Many thanks for any comments. 

I also agree this would be very useful.  Until then I try to keep individual notes on the short side to avoid excessive scrolling and then use an outline note with links to the others to collect the information if needed.

I also agree this would be very useful.  Until then I try to keep individual notes on the short side to avoid excessive scrolling and then use an outline note with links to the others to collect the information if needed.

Remember: you are taking a certain risk if you use links in local, unsynchronised notes !

The thing with workarounds is that they work more or less, but it is long-winded and after a while it becomes a PITA. But, for the patient & not-fussy, it works & is good enough.

I use this work around, less for the anchoring more for the ease of getting back to the main note.  Since I'm a two monitor user, the primary note is just sitting there and I can flit through the other notes without the "where exactly did I put that......" issues.   :)

I found this thread because I was searching for the possibility of using anchors to link to sections within a note... just wanted to cast my vote for the feature in case the development team is considering.  Considering everything else EN does, it seems like a simple thing to implement.  Until then, I guess I'll try scattering unique search terms across my longer notes.

• Like 1

I cold handedly agree with Bryanne, Evernote PLEASE work on this feature! I tried to use the new Table of Contents feature but it has problems when I share the link with non-Evernote users. It would be great to hyperlink to those points way down the document, hope it's on your list. Would also love to see Evernote create a UserVoice account so we can vote on what we think is most important to give you a point of reference on what to add next.  :D

• Like 1

+1 for anchors within (and achross) notes - so you could then create an index note, but also a table of contents on a long note you have linked to. having multiple depths of note links is a pain.

Also, read somewhere else the idea for links to tags. +1 for that too :-)

• Like 1

I've found myself needing this feature multiple times over the years.  Please add it.

• Like 1

Having anchors within notes is something I would find really useful. I often end up with long notes that need parts to be addressable. Adding artificial strings to search for is a bit crude - an HTML anchor, or equivalent is really what I need for this use case.

Splitting up a long note into multiple notes would in many cases add other inconveniences that would more than cancel out the added convenience of note-level links.

Please add this feature!

5 hours ago, Alan Rew said:

Splitting up a long note into multiple notes would in many cases add other inconveniences that would more than cancel out the added convenience of note-level links.

It also resolves a few issues

• Lengthy notes are problematic; chance of corruption; searches are less effective.  For example, in the case of a journal, I find it better to keep separate days instead on an entire month or year
  • I can simulate collapsing and expanding sections by using links to sub-documents

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It also resolves a few issues

• Lengthy notes are problematic; chance of corruption; searches are less effective.  For example, in the case of a journal, I find it better to keep separate days instead on an entire month or year

Good point but a big downside I see is that once older notes are updated, sorting/sequencing/organization can be problematic and unpredictable.

Cmon evernote employee, I know you have read this post, I see you :mellow: This would be a really nice feature

+1

For everyone here who wants this feature, it's available already through a standalone java program here:

I love Evernote and use it extensively everyday.

One key feature I would like to use in Evernote is the ability create or link words or tags within a note

You highlight a word or phrase or create a tag to link to another topic within the same note.

A simple example is a TOC or table of contents within a note linking details in the note with related details in the same note.

I know I can create another note but then I end up with to many notes.

Jumping around between notes is counterproductive when you are creating research notes with many links.

Every time I create a note, I  end up searching online to see if this is possible.

Please seriously consider this since you already have the know how to do this

with your copy a note link feature.

Thanks,

RG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rtglennr@earthlink.net said:

I love Evernote and use it extensively everyday.

One key feature I would like to use in Evernote is the ability create or link words or tags within a note

You highlight a word or phrase or create a tag to link to another topic within the same note.

A simple example is a TOC or table of contents within a note linking details in the note with related details in the same note.

I know I can create another note but then I end up with to many notes.

Jumping around between notes is counterproductive when you are creating research notes with many links.

Every time I create a note, I  end up searching online to see if this is possible.

Please seriously consider this since you already have the know how to do this

with your copy a note link feature.

Thanks,

RG

There is a workaround for what you are asking for here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/83621-create-jump-links-in-your-notes-with-elin

Run the program. give the "Jump name" a (hidden) name that doesn't conflict with any other words/word combinations in the note. Give the "Link text" the name you want displayed as your link, and give "Destination text" the name of the header you want to jump to in the text.

After you have generated the text, you copy the first line and paste it into the note where you want the link. And the second line where you want the link to jump.

The reason why this works is because the second line which looks like plain text, actually has a hidden code in it which contains the hidden "Jump name". The link is therefore searching for the hidden "jump name" and not for the plain text.

It's a bit cumbersome to do, but at least it's a choice for when you really need it. You can also create a note "template" and just copy that for later uses.

I doubt this will ever be implemented as a feature in the client, mainly because of how EN relies on everything to work across platforms.

• Like 1

I'm using Evernote more and more to build systems documentation and having the ability to link to an anchor Evernote would be tremendously helpful.  I'm surprised this functionality was not included from the start.  I'm not interested in work-a-rounds or having to edit the raw files to add this manually, it's simply to cumbersome.

+1 - Add URL Anchors to Evernote.

Thanks

I have posted this as a feature request in a feedback forum.
Please indicate your support by uprooting the request

As I mentioned in the above posts already, I really need this feature. How can Google implement it in such a tiny tool like Keep, but EN is unable to handle it?

2 minutes ago, Zsolt.Juhasz said:

How can Google implement it in such a tiny tool like Keep, but EN is unable to handle it?

I was not aware that "EN is unable to handle it".
I thought it was a priority thing, hense my posting the request so it can by voted on.

+1 please add anchors or some sort of visual shortcuts. Need that to navigate large notes.

See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96782-feature-request-inline-tags-create-anchor-points-in-notes/ and please click there to support the request.

(Probably been said before in this or the other threads,  but my way to navigate large notes is not to have them.  Treat note titles like chapter or paragraph headings and split the whole thing into several notes held together by a Table of Contents note..  just sayin')

11 hours ago, gazumped said:

(Probably been said before in this or the other threads,  but my way to navigate large notes is not to have them.  Treat note titles like chapter or paragraph headings and split the whole thing into several notes held together by a Table of Contents note.. 

That is a workaround that many of us have been using.  But it is NOT a real replacement to having anchors/bookmarks in the same note.

Even for relatively short notes (2-3 pages/screens) this would be a great help, a great feature, to have a TOC at the top of the note, with links to details lower down in the same Note.

Kudos.

How come that evernote, a platform that offers extensive presentation modes, chat features and an Atlas(what?) does not support a seemingly basic operation like inline table of contents. To put things in perspective, how should i navigate a book with 500 pages if i had no table of contents? My two cents, very slowly, just like navigation in evernote right now without this feature.

Please add this as a free or premium feature, i don't mind paying for this.

Thank you.

Don't forget to vote for this feature here.
It's been two years since the original request now...

• Like 1

It's been two years since the original request. I hope we will get a chance to see this feature...

It's difficult to navigate very long but important notes without this feature, that would allow use to make a clear table of content.

This is a feature that has been requested a number of times, for instance in this thread:

and in this one:

If you go to that second one, you can click on the upward-arrow at the top of the page to vote up the suggestion. Or if that's not what you're thinking of, you could create a new suggestion topic in that Windows Desktop Product Feedback forum.

• Like 1

For a reference tool not to be able to cross-reference is a serious weakness. When I take notes that refer to protions of other notes, I want to be able to link to the cited portion, not just the whole note. Being able to embed an anchor (similar to the html # format) would be direct and familiar.

Thanks. (I've voted at the feature request ...)

On 6/10/2016 at 8:23 PM, DTLow said:

Please show your support for the request by voting using the buttons in the upper left corner

575ad5c4ddf75_ScreenShot2016-06-10at7.53.32AM.png.73e803a37bcc8836a777db6c8e4e3c41.png

@DTLow, could we request the Evernote team to increase the vote button size or make it more prominent at least? To be honest, I wasn't aware of this button until scrolling through the +1s and eventually finding your vote posts with the image. I think a lot of new users to the forums tend to miss out on the vote button. I think it should be made bigger or displayed more prominently. I know this statement is not related to this discussion but I do not know where to make this specific request.

Also, I would like this feature to be implemented as well. Voted up!

2 hours ago, ChiragC said:

@DTLow, could we request the Evernote team to increase the vote button size or make it more prominent at least? To be honest, I wasn't aware of this button until scrolling through the +1s and eventually finding your vote posts with the image. I think a lot of new users to the forums tend to miss out on the vote button. I think it should be made bigger or displayed more prominently. I know this statement is not related to this discussion but I do not know where to make this specific request.

You might want to create a separate topic for this request. Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 6.14.32 AM.png

Post An Idea located at the top of the discussion

You could also post your comment in this discussion

• Like 1

+1 for an anchor solution

I would actually like being able to use "headings" like in html.
And have automated "table of content" generation for longer notes, based on headings/anchors

+1 for a TOC-macro

I use Confluence (by Atlassian) for my job, and it has a lot of features in the editor which would be great for evernote as well. Especially the easy insertion of macros. I use the TOC-functionality there a lot...

Currently I'm keeping my notes short, because of I want to be able to link information quickly...
Also see the following topic:

Links to a concrete part of a note.

My sugestion is just an improvement in note linking, it would be awesome that the links could actually redirect to a specific part of a note. 

Sometimes the notes can become very large, specially if there are several contributors. I guess many people keeps writing on the same notes during long periods of time, extending them. Some examples of when would one do this, are for example:

• A note where you make annotations about a reunion you hold regularly (every week for example).
  • A note where you write your diary.
  • A note where you store funny jokes
  • A note where you store quotes, or interesting websites, etc...

Problem: The current note links only allow to link to the note itself, to the beggining of it to be exact.

Request: It would be nice to make a link to a concrete piece of text inside the note, to make it more accesible. Like the "id" tag in html language, which leads you to a concrete part of the website by clicking on www.website.com/#idtag

Possible solution: The way I would implement this is by making a new type of link which acts like a mirror somehow, connecting two points in two different notes in both directions. Like a button, which could be moved around and treated like regular text, and whenever you press one of them it would lead you to the other one, wherever it is located, and viceversa.

Other aplication of this links would be to make an index in the beggining of the note, to the different sections on it.

13 minutes ago, Juan Luis said:

Links to a concrete part of a note.

If you review this forum, you will see the same request has been posted multiple times.
The request would be better addressed if you add your vote or comment to one of the original requests.
Repeating the request splits the user vote.

Personally, I avoid using long notes.  The definition of "note" usually indicates brief or short.

Regardless, I up-voted the request; voting buttons in the upper left corner 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313588-How-to-use-note-links-to-connect-between-notes

It is already possible to link connections between notes, but it would be useful for me to link to specific sections of larger notes. When I'm writing something and annotating with citations, linking to the area in the paper which I'm citing (stored as a PDF in another note) would be very useful, instead of having to write something like "scroll to page 4 of this note" where this is the hyperlink.  

This is pretty much a duplicate of the existing feature request here: 

• Like 1

Markdown supports headings and ToCs - naturally built in anchor points.

Please consider voting for markdown too? 

I would love to see the ability to create a note link that jumps me to a place lower in the same note...like the html jump to anchor code in webpages. 

Have heard this desired from others in conversations outside this forum so I'm posting it here to see if it garners any other support. I would LOVE this feature.

+1 to this idea. It would allow much finer-grained control of links between notes, allowing us to jump quickly between sections of notes. 

Another way to do this would be inline tags. Allow us to write #keyword anywhere in the body of the note, and be able to search for these inline tags separately from the note title, note tags, and normal text. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stacey said:

I would love to see the ability to create a note link that jumps me to a place lower in the same note...like the html jump to anchor code in webpages. 

Have heard this desired from others in conversations outside this forum so I'm posting it here to see if it garners any other support. I would LOVE this feature.

Until/if EN implements this, you can use a text expander tool to accomplish this fairly easily on a desktop.  I use PhraseExpress in Windows.  

You can create a phrase containing <doubleclick><Ctrl-C>-<Ctrl-F><Ctrl-V> and assign it a hot key.  I have assigned Alt-Right mouse to mine.  Then when I hover over a word and press the Alt-Right mouse combo focus will jump to the next occurrence of the word in the note.

This works for any word in the note.  So if you format your JumpTo links with an underline and color for ease of access, it will simulate an in-note link.  In the meantime.  FWIW. 

• Like 2

Thanks @csihilling...I'll look into that. I'm on Mac but am guessing there are parallel options. I give it a try while I patiently wait :) 

• Like 1

You are welcome.  If you don't find something you like, I think PE is releasing a beta for Mac.

• Like 1

This is such a clever hack of text expanders. I use one for Mac called aText, but it doesn't have the ability to listen for keys, only text replacement. I've been thinking of switching to a different program for awhile, and this may be the motivation I need to make the jump.

It's pretty annoying having to do a search in the universal search box, then click on a note, than do cmd-F, then cycle through each occurrence in the note. Seems like the most natural thing you'd want to do after doing a global search is see all the specific places it appears.

Thanks!

• Like 1

This thread is open since 2014 and Evernote Dev Team hasn't taken note of this essential feature request.

Wonder why its not been taken up by the developers even after 3 years, when there are soo many threads voicing / requesting this feature.

8 hours ago, pank24 said:

This thread is open since 2014 and Evernote Dev Team hasn't taken note of this essential feature request.

Evernote has not shared their request list, but I'm confident they've taken taken note of this request.

As to which requests they implement, that's another discussion.  It's their product, and I can accept that some requests are rejected or not implemented immediately.  I do indicate my support by adding my vote to the requests I favour

Anchor points inside notes, and a way to link to them efficiently (from the same note, or external link to note and to anchor) is something I need for evernote. This provides an extra level of information organization. Please in the next update take it into consideration. +1

I need to manage projects with a lot of information, and I really need this thing. 

• Like 1

On 27-1-2017 at 7:56 PM, csihilling said:

Until/if EN implements this, you can use a text expander tool to accomplish this fairly easily on a desktop.  I use PhraseExpress in Windows.  

You can create a phrase containing <doubleclick><Ctrl-C>-<Ctrl-F><Ctrl-V> and assign it a hot key.  I have assigned Alt-Right mouse to mine.  Then when I hover over a word and press the Alt-Right mouse combo focus will jump to the next occurrence of the word in the note.

This works for any word in the note.  So if you format your JumpTo links with an underline and color for ease of access, it will simulate an in-note link.  In the meantime.  FWIW. 

I've read your answer, I get the idea behind it, but I don't understand concretely which software you use to do that and how you do that within the software ? 

I have TextExpander on Mac (5.1.4, before the new "online subscription model"), but I don't think I can do that kind of thing with it.

6 hours ago, Gauthier said:

I've read your answer, I get the idea behind it, but I don't understand concretely which software you use to do that and how you do that within the software ? 

I have TextExpander on Mac (5.1.4, before the new "online subscription model"), but I don't think I can do that kind of thing with it.

Don't know about TextExpander.  The software I use is PhraseExpress, I use it on Windows.  They have a free version for Mac you can find  here.   The actual phrase looks like the below.  With this phrase I hover over the word, Alt-Right Click, and then I can cycle though instances of the word in the note.  Any issues post back and I will help if I can.

ScreenClip.png.cbbb32d25ac5f8357e1eef45f94bde8f.png

does anybody know of any alternatives to evernote where this feature is available? Onenote isn't a good alternative to evernote in terms of saving stuff. What do lawyers use? How do they save and retrieve highlight stuff in pdfs and their docs?

Also when they add the anchor link feature, they should also make it available for pdfs also, where you can navigate to anywhere in a pdf with a link.

+1. Maybe even a preset anchor that's on all notes that scrolls to the bottom. #bottom.