Separate Account for an Organization?

Ryq G

I've been using Evernote for a few months and love it.

I belong to a club and think this would be a great way to store common documents and information.

Can I set up a separate account?  Any issues with accessing two accounts from a computer?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Ryq G said:

I've been using Evernote for a few months and love it.

I belong to a club and think this would be a great way to store common documents and information.

Can I set up a separate account?  Any issues with accessing two accounts from a computer?

It shouldn't be a problem.  The Mac even has a feature to easily switch user ids.

It might be prudent to log out of Evernote after using it.  It's annoying but it will avoid adding notes to the wrong account.

@Ryq G - It's likely to be a good idea to set up a separate EN account for your club. There are a few things to take into consideration before you push ahead. Here are a couple:

1. Will the Basic version of EN give the members of the club all the features they will need? If not, the other versions of EN are not free. In that case, the issue will be who will pay for it? The club? You? - - - Here is a link to the EN web site where there is a comparison of the EN features for different version: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157
  2. Who will be the administrator of the club's EN account? --- I highly suggest someone take on this role. There are some functions that ought to be controlled by one person. For example: When a shared Notebook is created, who will control which club members get access to it? Who will be able to edit the Notes in that Notebook?

Just some thoughts.

I used Evernote to run a debate club and as our club archives.

I'd suggest beginning with a notebook in your own account. At the beginning you'll spend more time tinkering and adding to it so having. easy access and control will be helpful. 

At some point it could be transferred to a club account, but at the beginning start with it under your own control. You could set a "kick point" after which you transfer it out (six months, 500 notes, 100 members?) 

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Candid said:

I'd suggest beginning with a notebook in your own account.

Sounds good, but I'd share the notebook to the club account and the club members if they have accounts.

Notes can also be set up with public links, giving access to members with browser access but no Evernote account.

Just now, DTLow said:

Sounds good, but then I'd share the notebook to the club account and the club members if they have accounts.

Notes can also be set up with public links, giving access to members with browser access but no Evernote account.

I'd start with sharing with some members. In a small club, all members. In a big club, I'd have testers. 

• 9 months later...

hT

On 6/9/2016 at 3:24 PM, DTLow said:

Thanks.  We've had some things on Google Drive, but we changed leadersjhip and no one can access this.

1) Is ownership of an account linked to a person?  Using an email account?  Using a phone?  Can it be transferred?

2) I expect a few "levels" of authority/security.

a) Notebooks that are open to all. Will there be an "entry" via the web that the public can see what is available to read/browse?   They will not have editing capability.

B) Notebooks hidden from the public, but accessible by Board Members.  How can this be done?

c) Read/write capability limited to a few. 

On 6/9/2016 at 3:24 PM, DTLow said:

Can this all be done via the web interface so people don't need to download software?

On 6/11/2016 at 4:23 PM, DTLow said:

Sounds good, but I'd share the notebook to the club account and the club members if they have accounts.

Can we make MOST of the notes accessilbe?  Perhaps have Notebooks or Stacks that are visible?

On 6/9/2016 at 4:33 PM, Analyst444 said:

@Ryq G - It's likely to be a good idea to set up a separate EN account for your club. There are a few things to take into consideration before you push ahead. Here are a couple:

1. Will the Basic version of EN give the members of the club all the features they will need? If not, the other versions of EN are not free. In that case, the issue will be who will pay for it? The club? You? - - - Here is a link to the EN web site where there is a comparison of the EN features for different version: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157
  2. Who will be the administrator of the club's EN account? --- I highly suggest someone take on this role. There are some functions that ought to be controlled by one person. For example: When a shared Notebook is created, who will control which club members get access to it? Who will be able to edit the Notes in that Notebook?

Just some thoughts.

I thought I read if a second account were opened it couldn't be basic....

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Ryq G said:

1) Is ownership of an account linked to a person?  Using an email account?  Using a phone?  Can it be transferred?

Each account is assigned to an email address.
For a transfer, its possible to change email addresses but my preference would be a new account

>> a) Notebooks that are open to all. Will there be an "entry" via the web that the public can see what is available to read/browse?   They will not have editing capability.

Evernote allows you to generate a public url for a notebook/note 
You can send the url to any users you want to access the notes via a web browser
- here is example for my test notebook https://www.evernote.com/pub/david_low/testnotebook
- if you access it, you will be given two choices   join notebook   or   view notebook (read/browse)
My preference is to share a main menu note, like a table of contents
- Example: https://www.evernote.com/l/AArzcOK_-KJEF6I_0cboRmBlhlrYwlZ_DL8
- I then have links to other notes

>> c) Read/write capability limited to a few. 

Evernote allows you to share notebooks/notes with other Evernote users.  You specify the userid and read-only / read-edit

>>   Notebooks hidden from the public, but accessible by Board Members.  How can this be done?

You generate separate public urls for each notebook.  You decide who you're going to give the url to
Or if you use the share feature, you actually specify the userids of specific users

>>Can this all be done via the web interface so people don't need to download software?

Notebooks shared by url can be accessed by any web browser; no Evernote software required
For edit access, Evernote software is required

>>Can we make MOST of the notes accessilbe?  Perhaps have Notebooks or Stacks that are visible?

Its under your control.  You can share Notebooks or Notes; not Stacks

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Ryq G said:

I thought I read if a second account were opened it couldn't be basic....

I don't think there's any restriction on setting up accounts
I have two personal accounts, Premium and Basic
The only requirement is that each account have a unique email address

I'd recommend you set up a second account so you can test out this sharing stuff

Archived