Scanning with an Epson GT-1500 scanner

I just purchased an Epson GT-1500 scanner as it has both a flatbed (for photos) and an automatic document feeder (ADF).  I had significant issues with the packaged software, PaperPort and I really wanted to be able to scan a number of pages, turn the set of pages upside down, scan again, and have the resultant pages be properly collated. My finally requirement, of course, was getting everything into Evernote without any hassles. I finally succeeded in solving my problems.  I wrote a blog entry explaining my adventure with this scanner.  Read it here:  Joe's blog entry.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, joetopshot said:

I just purchased an Epson GT-1500 scanner as it has both a flatbed (for photos) and an automatic document feeder (ADF).  ...  My finally requirement, of course, was getting everything into Evernote without any hassles. 

Can you explain the Evernote Integration.
Reading the blog, it seemed that you made use of the Evernote Import Folder that was available on the Windows platform.  I would think this is available for all scanners.

I was hoping to see some actual integration.  On the Mac platform we don't have an import folder feature, and have to create our own using Applescript and Folder Actions.  I have no ideas on a solution for the other platforms.

Hi GTLow.  You are correct.  Before I purchased the scanner, I read some reviews about the scanner (on Amazon, maybe).  They mentioned using PaperPort to handle the paper shuffling when doing pseudo-two sided scanning.  This was an important feature for me.  And PaperPort supposedly integrated (somehow) with Evernote.. press a button and the resultant doc ends up in EN.  

The "import folder" idea was new to me.  I hadn't known about it (nor did I know that this does not work on Macs).  My scanner now writes to folder "A".  If the document is a two-sided doc, I run the script in my blog entry.  If it is not, I run another script which just copies the file(s) to the EN "import folder".  The additional plus for me was not having to use PaperPort at all.

Once upon a time, I had played a little with my wife's Mac (she had an old PowerPC version).  That's when I found out that the operating system was really a modified version (probably very modified) of FreeBSD.  I took advantage of the fact that I was familiar w/that operating system and converted her "consumer" machine into a file server.  I don't know how EN works on Macs but I assume you can put together a bash script on that machine that should automate the process once the files of interest exist in a directory. And, I'm sorry, but I know nothing about Applescript.  Not sure I added anything of value with these comments.

Archived