how to keep often modified documents in sync with evernote

I have some "live" documents (pdf, word docs, etc) which I would like to be searchable through evernote on all my devices. When I modify these docs I would like Evernote to pick up the changes - it doesn't have to be quick or immediate as long as it's automated and it doesn't result in new notes. For example, when i append pages to MyDoc.pdf on my pc I would like the associated note in Evernote to eventually notice and for the new version of MyDoc.pdf to be visible there. What is the best way to accomplish this?

• Level 5*
On June 7, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Mark Sijka said:

For example, when i append pages to MyDoc.pdf on my pc I would like the associated note in Evernote to eventually notice and for the new version of MyDoc.pdf to be visible there. What is the best way to accomplish this?

Store only one version of the document; as an attachment to a note in Evernote.  It will be replicated to all devices and kept in sync.

• Level 5

I haven't tried this myself, but Evernote lets you designate Import Folders. An Import Folder is associated with a specific notebook, and anything added to the folder is automatically added to the notebook. Set them up in Tools > Import Folders. Whenever you update the document, just copy it to the appropriate import folder, and EN should pick it up.

• Level 5*

To have just one note and for EN to recognize the changes right away you should put the document in an EN note and then edit that document from within EN (just double click it in the note).  If you are premium you get the benefit of history should you ever accidentally clobber the document.  Downside is every time you modify the document it affects your upload allowance.  Though I've never scared the 10GB with this method.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

@Mark Sijka:  If you have a Premium Evernote account with the 10 GB monthly upload limit, editing/saving large EN Note attachments most likely will not be a problem.

If you have a Basic or Plus account, with much lower monthly limits, then one approach is to store the actual documents in DropBox (or equivalent), and just attach a file link to the EN Note.  This is the approach I use for files that frequently (several times a day/week) change.  Also, DropBox offers a very easy to use file version system, so you can easily restore a previous version of your document at any time.  It is also much, much easier to share documents in DropBox than in Evernote.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• Level 5*
On June 8, 2016 at 5:08 PM, JMichaelTX said:

one approach is to store the actual documents in DropBox (or equivalent), and just attach a file link to the EN Note.  This is the approach I use for files that frequently (several times a day/week) change.  Also, DropBox offers a very easy to use file version system, so you can easily restore a previous version of your document at any time.  It is also much, much easier to share documents in DropBox than in Evernote.

Is the document still "searchable through evernote on all my devices" if stored in DropBox?

Edited:

>>Have you tried to do your own research?

It was rhetorical and a clarification on your suggestion, but ok, my research is indicating the documents will not be searchable

The new Google Drive interface does look more promising 

I'll research this further after I set up DropBox/Google accounts.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: To restate my goal: I have a library of PDF files which get occasionally updated by new pages being appended. I would like to have this library available and searchable from within Evernote clients but also be available through another cloud service. As files get modified I'd like for them to automatically be synced to Evernote.

Among the suggested solutions, the Import Folder feature always creates new notes so that didn't work and the Google Drive integration is half baked right now, the pdfs I uploaded to Google Drive aren't searchable from within Evernote. They also show up as links on my PC and iOS devices so that was a no-go.

What I settled on is the following:

1. Place my PDF library in a Dropbox directory, let's say C:\Dropbox\PDFLib

2. Copy the entire library into an Evernote Import Folder and wait for the sync. I deselected "Keep" in import options so now the import folder is empty.

3. To add more content to some pdf in the library I find it in Evernote, right click Open With and select my PDF editor. Typically I append another PDF. When I'm done I click Save once to save the Evernote copy followed by Save As into C:\Dropbox\PDFLib and overwrite the existing file.

It's a bit clunky but it allows me to have a versioned copy of the PDFs in addition to having a copy on Evernote. Sounds like I could use Cloud HQ to do this but because Cloud HQ syncs AFTER Evernote has had its way with my files I feel this is the safer approach.

Ideally Evernote would provide a simpler way to do this, for example by allowing an "overwrite" option in the Import Folder. This way, I could just make an Import Folder out of my C:\Dropbox\PDFLib directory and be done.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply and make suggestions.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Mark Sijka said:

Update: To restate my goal: I have a library of PDF files which get occasionally updated by new pages being appended. I would like to have this library available and searchable from within Evernote clients but also be available through another cloud service. As files get modified I'd like for them to automatically be synced to Evernote.

So, your answer is two copies of the pdfs
- inside Evernote to be searchable
- outside Evernote for "available through another cloud service"

>>but also be available through another cloud service
Its read-only, but you could use the public link to your Evernote Note; The pdf would then be available. 
I use this all the time to provide outside access to my notes, for example My Evernote copy of how to keep often modified documents in sync with evernote

>>Sounds like I could use Cloud HQ to do this but because Cloud HQ syncs AFTER Evernote has had its way with my files I feel this is the safer approach.
I'm thinking this would be a solution - my understanding is that the sync is two way.
Can you explain the CloudHQ issue?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mark Sijka said:

I need more info to provide a reasonably intelligent suggestion:

1. What platform/OS do you use for your primary location of your "library of PDF files" ?
  2. In fact, that begs the question:  What is the primary location of your library?
  3. There are several online services available for managing, searching, sharing, etc, large collections of PDF documents.  If Evernote is not your primary location, what is the motivation to also store the PDFs in Evernote?
  4. Must the PDF updates always be appended to the original PDF?  What about storing the updates as a separate PDF file?
    1. If you stored the updates as a separate PDF, then you could just upload these PDFs to Evernote with the same name, plus a suffix.
    2. Thus a search of keywords would still find the PDF, and a intitile search of the root PDF name would find the original and all updates
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, Mark Sijka said:

It's a bit clunky but it allows me to have a versioned copy of the PDFs in addition to having a copy on Evernote

If you are a premium user you get versioned copies with EN through the history function.

Out of interest, is the DropBox account for backup or for access by others?

Archived