Whats the right thing for me?

So guys, need your help, im going to college again(nutrition) and i want to be more paperless and efficient, beside that i like studying different kind of subjects, but unfortunately i have to keep printing pdfs for annotation and things like that, i also have a notebook with me for frequent annotations on things i find interesting, or read, saw somewhere. My main question is, which could be the right device for that use, handwriting notes, annotate on pdfs, draw, read ebook and make annotations there(points, arrows, handwritten notes, post its), save web articles for studying, ill use the evernote to keep all of them in the same place, but i need the manual thing on a portable device or ill start to get way too much mechanic and not creative, i like mind maping, drawing, highlighting, colors, for my learning. From what i saw, the ipad pro together with the notability app or the good notes 4 would be a good call(i heard those are good together with the evernote), but im new in this world and i want some suggestions, thats it, i currently have a lg g4, and this would be my first apple device maybe, need help.

Edit: I already have a dell notebook for when i need a true desktop.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, heldilira said:

So guys, need your help, im going to college again(nutrition) and i want to be more paperless and efficient, beside that i like studying different kind of subjects, but unfortunately i have to keep printing pdfs for annotation and things like that,

i also have a notebook with me for frequent annotations on things i find interesting, or read, saw somewhere.

My main question is, which could be the right device for that use, handwriting notes, annotate on pdfs, draw, read ebook and make annotations there(points, arrows, handwritten notes, post its), save web articles for studying, ill use the evernote to keep all of them in the same place, but i need the manual thing on a portable device or ill start to get way too much mechanic and not creative, i like mind maping, drawing, highlighting, colors, for my learning. From what i saw, the ipad pro together with the notability app or the good notes 4 would be a good call(i heard those are good together with the evernote), but im new in this world and i want some suggestions, thats it, i currently have a lg g4, and this would be my first apple device maybe, need help.   

>>My main question is, which could be the right device for that use
There was a recent discussion on this at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51708-using-evernote-for-math-and-science/?do=findComment&comment=403274 and I posted an article the discusses viewpoints.

My advice would be to use a pen and paper.  At the end of the day, scan the paper into your collection app (Evernote?) and discard the paper.

My devices are an iPad, and a Mac (mini) desktop at home.
I like the portability of the iPad, but there are times you need the full features of a desktop platform.

After deciding on a device, you have to chose apps.
The note editor in Evernote is basic; I like Notability, however I file the output in Evernote
For serious work, I turn to dedicated apps; word processing, spreadsheets, calendar etc
Again, I always file my output in Evernote - I've found nothing better for organization

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, heldilira said:

My main question is, which could be the right device

A MacBook Air, hands down.  Although iPads are very popular, and very much the "in thing", Using a MBA is much, much easier, and much, much more powerful than an iPad, even an iPad with a keyboard.  At the same time, a MBA is about the same form factor (weight, size) as an iPad.  I recommend the MBA-13, but if lightweight, small size is really important to you, then get the MBA-11.

I started out with the MBA-11.  It worked great, but I soon realize I really wanted a larger screen.  So go to an Apple Store (or Best Buy), and checkout the different models.  They all come with a 14-day return policy.  I now have to main Macs:

• MBA-13 -- I use for travel and meetings
  • MBP-15R -- I use like you would a desktop for the most part.  It is very powerful, and easily supports high-end video editing.

None of the productivity apps (Evernote, MS Office, etc) work nearly as well on an iPad as they do on a full featured laptop like a MBA.

In particular, Evernote iPad is missing many of the key features you need.  The iPad and iPhone are great for reading/viewing your notes, and for making quick, short notes.  But not for serious note taking.  If you have an iPhone, it makes a great portable scanner, and for capturing whiteboards and overhead projector slides.

If you are on a tight budget, then look at refurbished MBAs offered by Apple.  They are just as good as a brand new model, and come with a full warranty.  Buy the largest SSD, and the most RAM you can afford.  Neither can be easily upgraded later.  I would spend money on those two before a faster processor.

One really big, missing feature on the iPad is the Evernote Web Clipper -- there isn't one.  All you can do is capture the ENTIRE page, which most of the time you don't want to do.

The other really big thing is that the MBA, being a full-featured laptop with a full-featured operating system, let's you easily interchange files, open files in your EN Notes using the native app on your Mac (like a good PDF viewer/editor/annotator, your favorite word processor, your favorite spreadsheet, your favorite mind-map, etc.  While you can open EN attachments on the iPad in another app, you can't edit the attachment, and then save back to EN iPad.

Please feel free to ask more questions.

P.S.  You should know that I tried very, very hard to make the iPad work as my primary travel and meeting device.  I tried for months.  It just couldn't cut it, and became very frustrating.

Em 6/3/2016 at 03:10, JMichaelTX disse:
Em 6/2/2016 at 12:13, DTLow disse:

My advice would be to use a pen and paper.  At the end of the day, scan the paper into your collection app (Evernote?) and discard the paper.

My devices are an iPad, and a Mac (mini) desktop at home.
I like the portability of the iPad, but there are times you need the full features of a desktop platform.

After deciding on a device, you have to chose apps.
The note editor in Evernote is basic; I like Notability, however I file the output in Evernote
For serious work, I turn to dedicated apps; word processing, spreadsheets, calendar etc
Again, I always file my output in Evernote - I've found nothing better for organization

But the thing is i want go a little more paperless but with the organic feeling of the paper, i already have a dell notebook at home for when i need some full features(forgot to mention that)
Im really thinking about the creative thing, and the draw apps could be a good way to start drawing again without having to learn a world about the photoshop for example.

Em 6/3/2016 at 03:10, JMichaelTX disse:

None of the productivity apps (Evernote, MS Office, etc) work nearly as well on an iPad as they do on a full featured laptop like a MBA.

Im so sorry to forgot to mention that i already have a dell notebook for when i need full programs like photoshop for example, or other examples, that ipad would be my primary way to study things, annotate, draw, stuff like that, but for real work if i have to do, ill go for my dell and do my spreadsheet there, writing maybe, video editing if i need, you got the point. Ill edit the post right now for remembering that so i can get new answers.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, heldilira said:

I'm really thinking about the creative thing, and the draw apps could be a good way to start drawing again without having to learn a world about the photoshop for example.

I got the app Procreate for drawing on my iPad.  The learning curve wasn't too hard;  there are tutorials on You Tube.

Its enough to get me going; all I lack is any talent.

Agora, DTLow disse:

I got the app Procreate for drawing on my iPad.  The learning curve wasn't too much, there are tutorials on You Tube.

Its enough to get me going; all I lack is any talent.

I already tried the photoshop thing, but it demands a really big effort and time, ill keep going slow with that, not hurry, just turn into a habit and wait for the magic to happen, actually i need to get back to this lol, its been 6 months since i decided it, no habit till now. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, heldilira said:

that ipad would be my primary way to study things, annotate, draw, stuff like that

I guess it depends on what your primary use is when you are away from your Dell laptop.

If creating artistic stuff is your main need, then the iPad could be an excellent choice.

If taking class notes, doing research, capturing web pages, making use of attachments to Evernote, and using Evernote itself are important or primary needs, then a small, lightweight laptop like the MBA would work much better, IMO.

You may want to carefully review the limitations of EN iPad as compared to EN Mac, as they are severe.
Since you are posting your question in an Evernote forum, I'm assuming using Evernote is a prime requirement.
Many users have found the EN iPad limitations to be quite frustrating, and that it does NOT fully support their required workflows.

Em 6/4/2016 at 20:00, JMichaelTX disse:

I guess it depends on what your primary use is when you are away from your Dell laptop.

If creating artistic stuff is your main need, then the iPad could be an excellent choice.

If taking class notes, doing research, capturing web pages, making use of attachments to Evernote, and using Evernote itself are important or primary needs, then a small, lightweight laptop like the MBA would work much better, IMO.

You may want to carefully review the limitations of EN iPad as compared to EN Mac, as they are severe.
Since you are posting your question in an Evernote forum, I'm assuming using Evernote is a prime requirement.
Many users have found the EN iPad limitations to be quite frustrating, and that it does NOT fully support their required workflows.

Dont worry, like i said, i have a dell laptop for when i need the full evernote features, but for creating handwritten notes, annotating in pdfs, reading and drawing i think the ipad still won the competition here, dont you agree? The things are separate here, working on evernote for researching and stuff is one thing, the other is creating to keep in evernote. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, heldilira said:

for creating handwritten notes, annotating in pdfs, reading and drawing i think the ipad still won the competition here, dont you agree?

Except for annotating PDFs, I would agree that the iPad is a good platform for those activities.

I do a lot of PDF annotation, and much prefer the easy of use that the Mac offers.

Again, keep in mind that if you open an attachment from a Note in EN iPad, then if you make changes to it, the ONLY way to save your changes back to Evernote is to create a new document, probably in a new Note.  

IOW, the iPad is great for reading, viewing, light data entry, but not so much for serious content creation, other than with the artistic apps.

I've been using a Samsung 10.1 2014.  Evernote works great for taking handwritten notes.  The tablet is running Android.  They also have this in a 12. ? version so it's a bit closer to an 8 1/2 x 11 to feel more like paper and doesn't pick up your hand when laying on the screen and writing so it's very natural.  Having said all this...........I upgraded to a Samsung Tabpro S.  Very cool and thin, however it runs Windows 10 not Android.  The Evernote for Windows 10, has an "ink" feature but then the notes are not editable on Android.  I sometimes need the ability to edit a note but prefer handwritten as opposed to typing. Using my Samsung 10.1 2014 for class notes until I can figure this Windows 10 issue out.

Archived