I'd love to have a big, bold notification for Evernote notes with reminders...like how I receive my text messages and how alerts can be displayed on iPhone

mattjans

Idea

I don't know if you call this a "banner" or what, but I want my Evernote reminders/alerts to pop up big and bold on my phone when they go off, instead of hiding up in the notification bar on my Android phone. Basically, I want them to look like what I see when I get a text message and my screen is locked (I use Textra for texts). 

I think this can be done on iPhone, but not Android for some reason.

Q1) Are there plans in the works?

Q2) Would anyone else find this useful? 

I had a somewhat OK work-around with Sunrise calendar, but that's going away in August. Even the Sunrise notification isn't quite what I'm looking for. I like that it gives one notification for each calendar entry (where Evernote reminders are seen as calendar entries I guess), but I'd like it to show up right in the center of my screener, just like a text message, whether locked or not. 

The use case is that I use Evernote as a reminder system. I create one note for every task I have to do, and then do a draft version of the work in the note (or attache the docs I need). So when it comes time to do the task, I want that alert to be obvious. I could, of course, keep these in my calendar, but I follow GTD, which recommends using the calendar just for things that have to be done at a specific day/time. So the rest of my next actions go into Evernote. I've tried some of the GTD-specific apps, but their either too slow or too convoluted for me, and I like Evernote's simplicity. 

Q3) Any other work-around ideas (e.g., can I have evernote send me an email/text on a timer that would pop up the way I want)

Q4) Any other calendar apps or similar reminder apps that people are using and work well with Evernote? Specifically GTD-based would be great. 

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, mattjans said:

I don't know if you call this a "banner" or what, but I want my Evernote reminders/alerts to pop up big and bold on my phone when they go off, instead of hiding up in the notification bar on my Android phone. Basically, I want them to look like what I see when I get a text message and my screen is locked (I use Textra for texts). 

I think this can be done on iPhone, but not Android for some reason.

Q1) Are there plans in the works?

Q2) Would anyone else find this useful? 

Q3) Any other work-around ideas (e.g., can I have evernote send me an email/text on a timer that would pop up the way I want)

Q4) Any other calendar apps or similar reminder apps that people are using and work well with Evernote? Specifically GTD-based would be great. 

I'm in the Apple world.

My solution was to sync my reminders to my IOS/Mac calendar using Cronofy Calendar Connector.

As well as giving me a calendar grid view, the notifications are excellent on my Mac, iPad, iPhone 

Only if this is completely user customizable!

I mean it. Evernote pops up even one notification without my specific decision to turn it on, or if Evernote decides to use push notifications for spamming their idiotic work chat, I will say Very Bad Words. 

This means not one single notification is generated remotely. Not one single notification EVER comes from Evernote as a company to advertise a new product or service. Not one single notification pops up that is not manually set by the user!

If there are currently projects in place that do not follow those guidelines: stop working on them immediately.

Wow...touched a nerve, Wade :) Are you getting a lot of unrequested spam from them? Are you a paid user? I don't see any. But I would  agree with you otherwise, particularly if you are a paid user. If you're free, what else would you expect from a free app? 

51 minutes ago, DTLow said:

@DTLow, thanks for the tip. The weird thing is that I remember the notifications ("banners"?) being much more obvious back when I was on iPhone. And just to be clear, I don't need to sync EN with my calendar per se, but if that's what gets me the kind of notifications I want, I'll do it!

14 hours ago, mattjans said:

Wow...touched a nerve, Wade :) Are you getting a lot of unrequested spam from them? Are you a paid user? I don't see any. But I would  agree with you otherwise, particularly if you are a paid user. If you're free, what else would you expect from a free app? 

Hi Matt;

Let's just say that Evernote has a checkered past when it comes to some intrusive advertising, including using the Win10 notification area to spam ads for Work Chat. (I had to actually contact them through their Facebook page to find the setting to shut that off... and it never should have been turned on in the first place.)

To their credit, I have never received an Android push notification from Evernote. They did, however, generate a user backlash when they decided to add unwanted and unneeded flags to their widget two years ago. Flags would pop up to notify you that there was a new Evernote blog that no one wanted to read, about Work Chat, which no one wanted to use. There was quite a bit of snarling over that from the users, so I wanted to make it clear that it is unacceptable. You had to actually load the stupid blog to clear the flag. It was totally out of line for them to be doing, and I want to make sure that the Evernote marketing team actually learned something from that lesson.

was a paid user. I canceled my account when I realized that basic functions of the app, such as text editing, were not working properly, but the development staff was making no move to fix them and instead rolling out new features. When they start fixing things that don't work and stop wasting resources on things no one wants or asks for, I'll pay them again. (Basically, they aren't seeing a dime from me until they cancel development on Work Chat. As long as that's a feature, I don't write checks.)

I don't have any problem with a free app advertising within the app, within certain limits. Any app that uses interruption marketing is removed from my devices. If ads are overly intrusive and interfere with my workflow, the app is removed. I use Evernote for writing, and the creative process is something I don't like to disturb. However, when an app that is not even running uses push notifications for spam, that's wrong. The notifications bar of my phone is there for actual notifications, not advertising the latest in the Candy Crush saga. 

Archived