REQUEST: Improve text formatting functionality

TimS

Idea

First off, I do want to preface this request by saying that the enhancements and added features that Evernote has rolled out have been pretty stellar (better OCR, Moleskine notebooks, improved web clipper with lots of new features, better document recognition, LinkedIn integration, WSJ integration, better note uploading from iOS, etc.)

The issue I find however is that Evernote often lags in the core aspect of the product, namely NOTE TAKING. I briefly switched to OneNote during graduate school (better formatting, better note organization for purposes of class notes) due to this issue. 

Some examples: it's impossible to change the highlighter color, the inserted tables are awful (what's with the column resizing???), the bullet/numbered list formatting is rudimentary, not possible to star/feature text within a note aside from aforementioned mono-color highlighter, etc. The list goes on.

Evernote has become an amazing technological product but it suffers because it does not perform it's core, underlying purpose well: writing text notes.

11 replies to this idea

Why does word murder HTML so badly.

it even mangles the <pre> tag. how in 2016 is that even possible to get wrong.

I really like the organisational aspects of Evernote but it's Editing reliability is not even a Match for WordPad from Windows XP era.

Is there work going on to improve this at all ?

I'd love to see some styles built in such as h1, h2, h3, h4, block quote, and code. (Not terribly dissimilar to this forum's formatting tools.) They could be simple styles with toolbar buttons and shortcuts, but that would speed up my note taking processes. Having to stop to format a subhead and then format back to a paragraph as I type severely slows down my notes, which mean I occasionally miss things in person or have to rewind videos — or I have a mess to clean up later.

Thankfully, some additional formatting (superscript, subscript, strike through, etc.) is available in the Format menu and includes shortcuts.

FYI: The highlight issue is discussed here from 2013:

Interestingly, if you type in Word and highlight the text using multiple colors and then copy and paste that into Evernote, the highlight colors are retained. So, Evernote is capable of it. It's not accessible to users. (If you edit the copied text, the highlighting gets wonky though, which is far worse.)

I would like to further this request with an option to edit the html for a note. I know Evernote can process html thanks to the web clipper, so I would like to be able to edit notes in HTML through an advanced option.

I would like to further this request with an option to edit the html for a note. I know Evernote can process html thanks to the web clipper, so I would like to be able to edit notes in HTML through an advanced option.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, superjac said:

You might be interested in this web site.  It allows you to edit the underlying html in your note
http://enml-editor.ping13.net

You can also export your note as enml and edit with a text editor then import it

On 6/30/2016 at 3:18 PM, Mark Levison said:

Basically Evernote should have Text formatting on par with OneNote. In addition if I paste it into Evernote then I should be able to edit it.

I couldn't agree more. I have asked Evernote on multiple occasions over the years, to at least put "strike through" in the rich text format bar next to bold, underline, and italicize. At least I could right click on text and choose it from the format section of the pop-up menu. But, now with macOS 10.12, it is even more convoluted to get to. My irritation level is so high, I wanted to write the reply in all CAPS, but then I thought you would think I was shouting at you. :)

EVERNOTE, PLEASE GIVE US STRIKE THROUGH ON THE TOOL BAR AND WHEN WE COMPLETE A TASK!!!

On 21/10/2016 at 3:21 PM, danmills7 said:

I couldn't agree more. I have asked Evernote on multiple occasions over the years, to at least put "strike through" in the rich text format bar next to bold, underline, and italicize. At least I could right click on text and choose it from the format section of the pop-up menu. But, now with macOS 10.12, it is even more convoluted to get to. My irritation level is so high, I wanted to write the reply in all CAPS, but then I thought you would think I was shouting at you. :)

EVERNOTE, PLEASE GIVE US STRIKE THROUGH ON THE TOOL BAR AND WHEN WE COMPLETE A TASK!!!

THE PRODUCT IS AMAZING BUT I DO AGREE, WHY IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK WITH VERY SIMPLE STYLE SHEETS. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY  !!!! I keep wasting my time formatting my notes manually... Thats crazy !

On 4/25/2017 at 4:35 PM, Phildab said:

THE PRODUCT IS AMAZING BUT I DO AGREE, WHY IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK WITH VERY SIMPLE STYLE SHEETS. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY  !!!! I keep wasting my time formatting my notes manually... Thats crazy !

Since my October post, the "strike through" is back in the normal "right click" menu. It's still not where it needs to be.

So, now as I type this in the web rich text editor, what do I see in the tool bar above? A STRIKE THROUGH BUTTON!!! 

Evernote, why can't you do this in the Mac client (it is available in all other clients)?

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 8.56.32 AM.png

I would love to have the ability to easily type in the font size I want (instead of a preset dropdown of sizes), and have some headings that I can use and update. Would be fantastic to have a basic set of even H1–H3 (honestly who really needs H4–H6 ?) and Paragraph settings. 

Or just Markdown ?

Archived