Red Circle with Number on Dock

Go to solution Solved by amanda_h,

• Solution

Hey @JeremyH,

This icon indicates an unread Work Chat message. If you don't want this type of notification to appear, you can navigate to System Preferences > Notifications Evernote and uncheck "Badge app icon." Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

But, related question, how do I quickly navigate to the note(s) that generated the red number?  Currently, here's my procedure:

• Discover a red number on the icon.
  • Click the icon and launch Evernote.
  • Evernote displays some random (to me anyway) note that doesn't have the Alarm Clock highlighted.
  • I click thru 4 or 5 notes looking for one that may have the Alarm Clock highlighted with a date to infer which generated the number on the icon.
  • Since I have hundreds of notes, I quickly give up.
  • By this time, the red number on icon has gone away, even though I never saw the note that generated it.

Strange.  I'm sure there's some go-see-the-note-that-generated-the-notification button, but I can't find it.  Does every Evernote use have to make their own filter?  If so, can some share the syntax of that filter?

Seems like a bug that the number disappears, even though I never saw the note.

Anyway, my real question:  how do I see the note(s) that generated the red number?

• 9 months later...
On 8/19/2017 at 9:02 AM, bongobill said:

But, related question, how do I quickly navigate to the note(s) that generated the red number?  Currently, here's my procedure:

• Discover a red number on the icon.
  • Click the icon and launch Evernote.
  • Evernote displays some random (to me anyway) note that doesn't have the Alarm Clock highlighted.
  • I click thru 4 or 5 notes looking for one that may have the Alarm Clock highlighted with a date to infer which generated the number on the icon.
  • Since I have hundreds of notes, I quickly give up.
  • By this time, the red number on icon has gone away, even though I never saw the note that generated it.

Strange.  I'm sure there's some go-see-the-note-that-generated-the-notification button, but I can't find it.  Does every Evernote use have to make their own filter?  If so, can some share the syntax of that filter?

Seems like a bug that the number disappears, even though I never saw the note.

Anyway, my real question:  how do I see the note(s) that generated the red number?

Any answer to my question above?  Anyone watching this forum?  It's not quite been a year, so I shouldn't be so impatient.  :)
(The post implied there had been 4 replies and asked me to sign in... then it took me to a page FILLED with posts having nothing to do with this.  UX?)

• 6 months later...

I also have this problem with the red badge showing on my dock on the evernote icon. If I can't sort this out I'm going to cancel my evernote subscription. This should be a straightforward thing to resolve, not something that cannot be sorted.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on this? After the recent app update on my Macbook Pro, I have a red circle with a 2 on it. I've gone through and deleted all my old work chats and any reminders I had and it's still there. So frustrating - why is there no single location to see why you have notifications?!

• Level 5

The problem with solving this red-dot-numbers is that it is more an iOS function than an app function.

This is similar on many apps, and it mostly will say „new item needs attention“. Now with a more complex app like EN these notifications will come from several triggers. I have the same issue with other apps as well - you always have to know your way around to find them all.

I once had the same issue on my app to manage my Synology NAS. It drove me crazy because the red dot would not go away. In the end I found it was a Security alert related to an update that could not run automatically, because another program had to be terminated first manually. First I had to make the update, and then I had to go to messages and confirm I had read the message, even when the security issue had already been fixed.

I was not happy about loosing time searching for this final red dot trigger, but who said life is without challenges. From a programmers level I know it is hard to impossible to catch actions meant to trigger something on OS level inside of a program, and decide there how to handle them.