Feature Request/Story: As an Evernote Customer, I want error messages to be more descriptive about the types of failures that occur during syncing

JGoin

Idea

After the outage this morning (5/25, ~07:30 - ~08:30 EST), I noticed that the Evernote error message dialog is exceptionally vague and misleading.  General "cannot sync" messages don't tell the whole story, and having text in the dialog box telling people to export, delete, and then re-import their notes in an effort to try and get sync working again is a destructive task probably better meant for a self-help article.  Some thoughts:

• If it's a planned downtime (maintenance), then say so.  "Evernote Sync is currently unavailable due to a planned maintenance window.  Please see status.evernote.com for more information."
  • If it's unplanned downtime (outage), then say so.  "Evernote Sync is currently unavailable due to an issue that is currently under investigation.  Please see status.evernote.com for more information."
  • If it's neither, then maybe link to a set of Knowledge Base or Self-Help articles on the main Evernote site so that people can walk through some of the "low-hanging fruit" Support steps.

Just a thought.

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 07.39.08.png

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, JGoin said:

I noticed that the Evernote error message dialog is exceptionally vague and misleading.

Actually, it goes beyond that to being dangerous.  I reported this issue in Aug 2015:

Sync-Error-Msg.png

Archived