Jump to content
mikebevil

ANSWERED My web clipper stopped working with 10.11.5 update

Recommended Posts

This week I updated my OS X to 10.11.5 and my web clipper for Safari has stopped working. When I try to clip, I get the log in dialogue. I put in my correct credentials and when I click login, nothing at all happens. Additionally, the dialogue box itself is cropped in an odd way (see attached screen shot). I have uninstalled the clipped and re-installed both from apple extension gallery and direct from ever note's site multiple times to no avail.

 

If anyone has help, it would be greatly appreciated as I use Evernote A LOT and I am pretty frustrated at the moment.

Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 9.37.54 AM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, mikebevil said:

This week I updated my OS X to 10.11.5 and my web clipper for Safari has stopped working.

I don't know if this will fix the Safari EN Clipper issue, but it is needed to fix Keyboard Maestro use of Safari Actions:

  • Enable the Develop menu in Safari if not already enabled in Safari’s Advanced preferences.
  • Enable Allow JavaScript from Apple Events in the Develop menu.

Sorry, but I can't test this as I'm still on 10.11.4.  Please let us know if it works for you.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi @mikebevil, welcome to the Forums!

I would recommend re-installing the extension; check out our support center article on uninstalling the Web Clipper extension for Safari. Once you've done that, reinstall the Clipper extension from our website at evernote.com/webclipper. 

If you still experience issue after following those steps, use the link in my signature below (the one that says "Submit a support ticket) to create a support ticket and make sure to mention you've followed the above steps in the ticket. If you post the ticket number in this thread, I will also be able to follow up on it with you here.

I hope that helps. Thanks again for posting!

Share this post


Link to post

Hey @mikebevil, just wanted to let you know we're working on your support ticket and will follow up there as well as this thread as soon as possible. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post

I have the exact same problem.  Two days ago I got the same 'cropped' login box that doesn't allow me to click on the  'Sign In' button.  It's just dead, like I'm trying to click on a non-link.  I'm lost without web clipper; I'm copying and pasting pages.  I don't believe there's only two of us having the exact same issue. 

Also, I've tried uninstalling web clipper, clearing safari cache, restarting the computer, reinstalling the latest version of web clipper, and I continue to get the same cropped, non-working login box. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, BSR said:

Hey @mikebevil, just wanted to let you know we're working on your support ticket and will follow up there as well as this thread as soon as possible. Thanks again!

Hello BSR, I am new to Evernote and can confirm the same is happening in CHROME.  Please help!

Share this post


Link to post

Hey @Burbank and @ivan@hitexsa.com,

Welcome to the Evernote Forums.

Would y'all mind posting your ticket numbers here so I can follow up on them with you? Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I realize this is the Mac section, but it might help the developers troubleshoot the problem to know that it also happens in Windows, using FIrefox. The webclipper still works, though, but it permanently says "sign in" and nothing happens when you click on that.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/21/2016 at 9:41 AM, mikebevil said:

This week I updated my OS X to 10.11.5 and my web clipper for Safari has stopped working.

Everyone should be aware that there may be other issues with the Mac El Capitan 10.11.5 update.

See 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Burbank said:

My Ticket# 1635994 

Thanks @BSR

Hi @Burbank, thanks for posting the number here. It looks like one of our agents was able to get to you and that we need a to have our Technical Support team take a look into this. They should be following up with you shortly. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, thank you @BSR  I'll be anxiously awaiting a resolution.  I'm a daily user of Web Clipper many times throughout each day and I'm lost without it.   I have two accounts with Evernote, Premium and Plus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On May 21, 2016 at 9:57 AM, JMichaelTX said:

I don't know if this will fix the Safari EN Clipper issue, but it is needed to fix Keyboard Maestro use of Safari Actions:

  • Enable the Develop menu in Safari if not already enabled in Safari’s Advanced preferences.
  • Enable Allow JavaScript from Apple Events in the Develop menu.

Sorry, but I can't test this as I'm still on 10.11.4.  Please let us know if it works for you.

@JMichaelTX It didn't work, but thanks for trying to help.  I do not think it's related to the 10.11.5 El Capitan update this week because I only installed the new update today hoping that it would resolve the problem with Web Clipper.  My problem with Web Clipper started 5 days ago when I was still using 10.11.4 El Capitan like you.  

Share this post


Link to post

Hi all, same problem here...since a couple of days (last OS X  update) the Safari Evernote web clipper *always* asks for the login credentials..those aren´t saved. If I enter them, the clipping function is OK, but after a safari restart it´s the same again. Re-Install of the plugin directly from evernote did´t help.

OS X 10.11.5., Safari 9.1.1, Evernote Web clipper 6.8.1, Macbook 2015.

Should i create a  support ticket (how?)

thx

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/27/2016 at 7:17 AM, Tobbelin said:

My Ticket nr #1640355

Hi there, @Tobbelin,

It looks like one of our agents was able to reach out to you and is currently working on your case. Thanks for following up with me!

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/29/2016 at 9:08 AM, PianoMax said:

Hi all, same problem here...since a couple of days (last OS X  update) the Safari Evernote web clipper *always* asks for the login credentials..those aren´t saved. If I enter them, the clipping function is OK, but after a safari restart it´s the same again. Re-Install of the plugin directly from evernote did´t help.

OS X 10.11.5., Safari 9.1.1, Evernote Web clipper 6.8.1, Macbook 2015.

Should i create a  support ticket (how?)

thx

Hi @PianoMax, welcome to the forums. I would recommend trying the troubleshooting steps in my post from earlier:

 

On 5/22/2016 at 10:51 AM, BSR said:

Hi @mikebevil, welcome to the Forums!

I would recommend re-installing the extension; check out our support center article on uninstalling the Web Clipper extension for Safari. Once you've done that, reinstall the Clipper extension from our website at evernote.com/webclipper. 

If you still experience issue, use the link in my signature below to create a support ticket and make sure to mention you've followed the above steps in the ticket. If you post the ticket number in this thread, I will also be able to follow up on it with you here.

I hope that helps. Thanks again for posting!

 

If that does not work, let me know. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BSR said:

Hi there, @Tobbelin,

It looks like one of our agents was able to reach out to you and is currently working on your case. Thanks for following up with me!

..sorry I can´t find a link to create a support ticket,....where is it?...is the "signature" when I click on your pic on the left?...I´m just looking for a button which says "create support ticket"...

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BSR said:

Hi there, @Tobbelin,

It looks like one of our agents was able to reach out to you and is currently working on your case. Thanks for following up with me!

Support-Ticket mit der Nummer 1643351

Share this post


Link to post

I just want to chime in and say that this issue is already affecting me. I'll wait to see what other users' figure out…

Share this post


Link to post

@Toph Hi Toph,  Even though we've all opened ticket numbers, Evernote does not have the problem resolved yet.  We are not receiving help yet with our tickets.  I do hope they quickly find the resolution.  I work as a publicist and I keep my clients articles and Google alerts organized by using Web Clipper all day long.  Having said that, you should still open a ticket and post it here so that we can share our experiences with tech help (or not) and post it here.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Burbank said:

@Toph Hi Toph,  Even though we've all opened ticket numbers, Evernote does not have the problem resolved yet.  We are not receiving help yet with our tickets.  I do hope they quickly find the resolution.  I work as a publicist and I keep my clients articles and Google alerts organized by using Web Clipper all day long.  Having said that, you should still open a ticket and post it here so that we can share our experiences with tech help (or not) and post it here.  

Hey there @Burbank,

I have just followed up on your ticket and it looks like one of our Technical Support agents has been working with you on the case and has reached out with some additional steps to follow. I would recommend checking for their response and following up with them. 

3 hours ago, Toph said:

I just want to chime in and say that this issue is already affecting me. I'll wait to see what other users' figure out…

Hi @Toph,

I will refer you to my earlier post (quoted below) for troubleshooting the issue with the Web Clipper. If those steps don't work, use the "Submit a support ticket" link in my signature to open a ticket and one of our agents will follow up with you as soon as possible.

On 5/22/2016 at 10:51 AM, BSR said:

Hi @mikebevil, welcome to the Forums!

I would recommend re-installing the extension; check out our support center article on uninstalling the Web Clipper extension for Safari. Once you've done that, reinstall the Clipper extension from our website at evernote.com/webclipper. 

If you still experience issue, use the link in my signature below to create a support ticket and make sure to mention you've followed the above steps in the ticket. If you post the ticket number in this thread, I will also be able to follow up on it with you here.

I hope that helps. Thanks again for posting!

 

Thanks y'all!

Share this post


Link to post

@BSR tech told me to:  

  •  Remove All Website Data in Safari ...  That's one of the first things I did in Safari before even contacting you guys or posting.  There is still no resolution.  

Share this post


Link to post

pipin' in with a "me too".

when i click the elephant icon in safari's toolbar, it actually does open the clipper; & i can make adjustments to the kind of clipping & where to put it & all. but when i click for it to do it, i just get the animated spinner... forever... well, at least until i give up & refresh or close the tab/window.

also note, i can go in to its "options" but 'any' clicks there go unnoticed - even to sign out.

and yes, i too have uninstalled & gone thru the typical motions.

looking much forward to a fix - especially since i'm one of them suckers who pay for premium ;-)

fyi: cross-posted at...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've had the same problem—except I'm still working with Mavericks 10.9.5 so I can't blame the system. Basically Evernote started limping some time ago, showing all the problems outlined in other posts here. It reached a point of no return this week—nothing happening. I was ready to submit a ticket, after going through the process suggested here: uninstall Clipper from Safari, download new version, restart Safari. The elephant icon was totally missing then from the toolbar! I restarted my Mac and of course Safari, but still nothing there. So I did it all again just before submitting the ticket—and lo and behold! There was the good ol' elephant. I tried it on this page and it worked. I don't know for how long, though, as it may still be buggy, but I'm hoping Evernote has really fixed the problem. I, like others, use it several times a day and I'm lost without it. 

Share this post


Link to post

I had have the same problem for a few weeks. Suggested solutions were not worked at all.

  • El Capitan 10.11.5
  • Safari 9.1.1 (11601.6.17)
  • Web Clipper 6.8.1 from a Apple Homepage.

Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 8.46.37 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post


Good news

After running Onyx ”Automative” option the problem seems solved.

After execution of this Onyx thing,  I uninstalled ”Web Clipper” and close and restarted Safari reinstalling from this direct link: https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.evernote.safari.clipper-Q79WDW8YH9
One of a sudden it worked logging in and everything seems ok so far. 

Obvious my Mac was blocking something that caused Web Clipper installation to failure!

BR

Torbjörn

ps. Onyx is free to use. Link: http://www.titanium.free.fr

Onyx fixing Web Clipper for me.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

@Tobbelin  Yes, this fixed my issue with Web Clipper too.  

Once you install the free tool do the following: run the Onyx ”Automative” option

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/4/2016 at 9:46 AM, Tobbelin said:

After running Onyx ”Automative” option the problem seems solved.

I'm not sure I'd trust this, since I can't find any detailed info in English about what it actually does.
Don't find any Google hits, other than this thread.

Share this post


Link to post

10 days now and still running! Web Clipper is up and running and for me other OS X-programs is fully functional.

I dont know whats happening "under the hood" of Onyx. I´m just concerned that my Mac is running installed programs as usual. Of course I always keep backups on a daily basis. For me Onyx solved my problem with Web Clipper and it is the guys at Evernote support who should find out why so many (premium) customers have these problems. They should really come up with a solution soon and explain why Web Clipper suddenly "locked" itself. 

Fyi Onyx have never failed me (since 2009) buts thats not a guarantee it will help you. Its not a perfect world.

Good luck with your Mac! /T

Share this post


Link to post

@JMichaelTX  I downloaded and installed Onyx and ran the "Automative" option 4 days ago, and I've had no issues with my MAC.  It's running the exact same with no slow down.  I even thought about uninstalling the Onyx app now that it got my Web Clipper working, but I decided to just leave it since it's doing no harm and maybe it will prevent future issues with Web Clipper.  

You could try it, have it fix your Web Clipper, and later uninstall it.  You may have to reinstall it though if your Web Clipper stops working again after the uninstall. 

All I know is that Web Clipper is a tool that I use on a daily basis for work, and I'm so happy & grateful that there's an app out there that fixed the issue for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I'm not sure I'd trust this, since I can't find any detailed info in English about what it actually does.
Don't find any Google hits, other than this thread.

I'm with @JMichaelTX on this one.

 

@Burbank and @Tobbelin: do y'all have a link you can provide to the Onyx tool?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks @Tobbelin. I will look into this and follow up with what I find out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@BSR My work life is back on track because of the smart IT dude at Onyx, and I'm grateful the App and the company exists.  Evernote may not be able to endorse the company, but it does give Web Clipper users an option that works.  I think Evernote should look into hiring him as a consultant. 

Just looked him up, his name is Joel Barriere from France.  

 

Edited by Burbank
add Joel Barriere's (Onyx) name

Share this post


Link to post

I just want to say that apparently Evernote has fixed the problem. I did not use Onyx or anything else. I followed the instructions provided here on the forum: uninstall Clipper from Safari, download new version, restart Safari. It has worked for 2 weeks without fail and I use it several times a day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@BSR,

Hi, I have the same challenge on my iMac, but not on my old Macbook Pro, that is running the same versions:

I am on OSX 10.11.5, with Safari 9.1.1 and Evernote 6.7.1 and don't have any extensions installed to "uninstall".  I have shut down Safari, restarted computer, logged out of Evernote Premium and out of Web Clipper on my other machine but continue to get the following error message when downloading from the Apple Extensions (or for that matter directly from the developer).

Quite urgent as I am participating in the Evernote Certified Consultant training, and am feeling a bit helpless at the moment with this issue.

Regards

Donald 

EN webclipper.tiff

Share this post


Link to post

Hi @Donald Pudney; sorry to hear about the clipper extension not working for you.

I have a few questions, just to rule some things out.

  • Are you able to successfully install the Clipper on another browser such as Chrome or Firefox?
  • Have you tried clearing the browsing data in Safari? (cookies, browsing history) and trying to install the extension afterwards?

Let me know if you are still unable to install the Clipper after doing the above. I look forward to your response.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/26/2016 at 4:45 AM, Donald Pudney said:

Quite urgent as I am participating in the Evernote Certified Consultant training, and am feeling a bit helpless at the moment with this issue.

Until this issue with Safari is resolved, I suggest using the Chrome EN Clipper.  In general, it works very well.

Share this post


Link to post
On 28 June 2016 at 9:53 PM, BSR said:

Hi @Donald Pudney; sorry to hear about the clipper extension not working for you.

I have a few questions, just to rule some things out.

  • Are you able to successfully install the Clipper on another browser such as Chrome or Firefox?
  • Have you tried clearing the browsing data in Safari? (cookies, browsing history) and trying to install the extension afterwards?

Let me know if you are still unable to install the Clipper after doing the above. I look forward to your response.

 

 

Hi,

The strange thing is I have an old macbook pro that has been upgraded to the same versions of Mac OS, Safari and EN and the web clipper works perfectly there, so I know it works and it works very well when it does.

There has just been a further release of the web-clipper ver 6.9 and I tried the one as well, and still no luck.

I will log an issue and see if that helps.

Thanks

Donald

Share this post


Link to post

I know this probably isn't helpful to anyone but thought I'd update what's going on with it in macOS Sierra. Tried using it after the install and it told me that the clipper was not compatible. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it's working fine. So if you are on Sierra it seems like a simple fix.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Donald Pudney said:

Hi,

The strange thing is I have an old macbook pro that has been upgraded to the same versions of Mac OS, Safari and EN and the web clipper works perfectly there, so I know it works and it works very well when it does.

There has just been a further release of the web-clipper ver 6.9 and I tried the one as well, and still no luck.

I will log an issue and see if that helps.

Thanks

Donald

#1719516 is the support ticket I have logged

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/9/2016 at 2:02 AM, Donald Pudney said:

#1719516 is the support ticket I have logged

Hi @Donald Pudney, thanks for letting me know the ticket number.

I see an agent has already contacted you about this issue with some troubleshooting steps. If you run into any issues or have any questions, feel free to let me know here. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post

I too am having BUSINESS CRITICAL issues with evernote.

1. It appears to clip the full page then when I sync and looks in my notebook, it has not clipped everything. So I waited 5 minutes before syncing and 5 minutes after syncing, still same issues but erratically.

2. ANNOTATION : As soon as i try to annotate the page loses its formatting.

                             When I try to save it saves something that looks like a screen shot of  half the screen

                             When I forward it arrives at the recipient in fragments.

I have just updated to El Capitan 10.11.6  to try and find a fix but no joy. Installed chrome and no better.

Any fix for thesis issues?

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, DJH@Trustivs said:

I too am having BUSINESS CRITICAL issues with evernote.

1. It appears to clip the full page then when I sync and looks in my notebook, it has not clipped everything. So I waited 5 minutes before syncing and 5 minutes after syncing, still same issues but erratically.

2. ANNOTATION : As soon as i try to annotate the page loses its formatting.

                             When I try to save it saves something that looks like a screen shot of  half the screen

                             When I forward it arrives at the recipient in fragments.

I have just updated to El Capitan 10.11.6  to try and find a fix but no joy. Installed chrome and no better.

Any fix for thesis issues?

 

Hi there @DJH@Trustivs, welcome to the Forums!

In order to better assist you, would you please provide the following information?

  • The web browser you are using the Clipper on where you originally experienced the issue
  • The version number of that browser (Browser name > About from the menu bar)
  • The version number of the Web Clipper you have installed (Select the Clipper icon in the browser toolbar > Options)

With respect to Annotating an image, what is the version number of Evernote you currently have installed? You can find the version number of the Evernote application on your Mac by opening Evernote and selecting Evernote > About Evernote from the menu bar.

I look forward to your response.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/29/2016 at 7:37 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Until this issue with Safari is resolved, I suggest using the Chrome EN Clipper.  In general, it works very well.

It works, barely.  On my MBP, setting options of the clipper is a waste of time.  It always puts clips in the Inbox even though I chose another notebook in the options. Another one of Evernote's permanent bugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, dyuhas said:

It works, barely.  On my MBP, setting options of the clipper is a waste of time.  It always puts clips in the Inbox even though I chose another notebook in the options. Another one of Evernote's permanent bugs. 

Have you tried uninstalling the clipper and clearing out your history and cache in Safari? Since the Sierra update the clipper is quicker on my machine. I do use a program to automatically clear my history and cache when I close out my browsers though.

Share this post


Link to post

Same problem here. Using Sierra, latest Evernote version. Installed, uninstalled, re-installed, multiple times. Get the sign-in screen and nothing happens. Looks like this has been a common problem for months. What's up?

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, I'm new to Evernote but am a Power Apple user and instructor. Loving Evernote to help me keep a complex project well organized, but the Web Clipper/Clipit function isn't working. I've read a lot of complaints about this here and elsewhere online, but none offer a usable solution.

All my software is up to date, and most recently, I couldn't even install clipit into my extension folder. Last week I could, but it didn't do any good. I uninstalled it, tried again and again. Nada. The definition of "insanity" is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. 

Any suggestions? I'd really like to have this function working.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...