two evernote accounts

• Level 5*
On May 19, 2016 at 0:52 PM, Gary17 said:

Does anyone have two evernote accounts? One for personal and one for work or is it easier to just use one?

I'm also interested in hearing responses to this.
Personally, I would need a good reason to have more than one account.

I think its easier to have all my notes in one account.

On my Mac, theres a feature to add another account and switch accounts.
This was also discussed by @Aloys55 in the IOS forum.  Perhaps he can add to this discussion.

• Level 5
On 5/19/2016 at 3:52 PM, Gary17 said:

Does anyone have two evernote accounts? One for personal and one for work or is it easier to just use one?

DTLow is correct - one account is easier.

I have two accounts. A few years ago, Evernote Support suggested that I buy a 2nd Premium account when I started encountering data integrity issues. My note count was approximately 40,000 notes. Other users ran into data problems when they got up to 60,000 notes. I believe Evernote has improved their data integrity since that time. The Fix All Notes and Optimize Database options helped a lot.

There are two issues that I encountered when I moved notes from my primary account to my secondary account.

• Even with a Premium account, I was not able to move everything in one month due to the monthly upload restriction.
  • The more frustrating issue is the moved data lost their hierarchical tag structure. All my tags were converted to a single level.

If I work on my secondary account, I always try to remember to move back to the primary account. It is easy to be in the wrong account and wonder why I can't find a note.

• 5 months later...

A few years ago, Evernote Support suggested that I buy a 2nd Premium account when I started encountering data integrity issues. 

I'd be interested in getting more information on that, as I'm experiencing database integrity and data loss as well. I'm not up to 40'000 or 60'000 notes, but I'm getting really worried.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lhb said:

I'd be interested in getting more information on that, as I'm experiencing database integrity and data loss as well. I'm not up to 40'000 or 60'000 notes, but I'm getting really worried.

My opionion is that database integrity issues and data loss do not inspire me to pay for a second account

I'd look at resolving the issues and making sure I had sufficient backups in case of data loss

I'm currently under 10,000 notes
This will increase over time, but I'm expecting performance will be adequate, and there will be software improvements
This will parallel my devices as they also will be getting better over time.

The current limit is 100,000 notes (500,000 for Business)
I wouldn't want to get close to those numbers, but would expect 40,000/60,000 notes to be handled.

I'd look at resolving the issues and making sure I had sufficient backups in case of data loss.

Thanks for the fast feedback.

Understood that one should have a plan B for data loss. However, I'm a premium user since many years, have many notes, had and have many computers and have been experiencing problems, If errors pop up randomly somewhere at random times, and without a way of detecting them automatically, I may not have a backup reaching back sufficiently in time. 

I'm interested in the general view on database integrity, especially problems that may not be repairable by note history. The mention of a recommendation of a "2nd premium account" for higher note counts  or "wouldn't want to get close to those numbers" gives me the shivers, as it seems to point to fundamental problems with database integrity or the sync proces.. Are there any takes on the reliability, on typical problems, and on having a systematic check on whether the database is correct, eg, after having moved to a new computer and therefore being forced to abandon some of the backups?

It's the creepy, spotty, undetected loss that might happen without a history entry that worries me, not the catastrophic loss of a computer or the Evernote data center.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, lhb said:

If errors pop up randomly somewhere at random times, and without a way of detecting them automatically, I may not have a backup reaching back sufficiently in time. 
It's the creepy, spotty, undetected loss that might happen without a history entry that worries me, not the catastrophic loss of a computer or the Evernote data center.

I think you should rethink your backup strategy and objectives

My backup process is modeled on the Evernote Note History
Every night I export my created/changed notes to a cloud drive.
If a note is only updated once, there is only one copy in my backup folder.
If a note is update multiple times, there are multiple copies and I can retrieve any of those versions

>>"wouldn't want to get close to those numbers" gives me the shivers

I didn't mean to alarm anyone.  
Its just when you push boundaries, they might push back

Thanks again. 

I'm not pushing boundaries (measly ~14000 notes), but even if I were I'd like it either to work or then give error messages in time so I can take measures to restore my data while I still have it where it's fresh and handy.

Thanks for the comments on the backup strategy, it sounds like you are doing a through job. Did you automate that in the cloud? I don't have a computer running permanently and work on multiple clients depending on where I am and what I do. That's why I use Evernote, and I don't want to redo/rescript/reproduce what I'm using/paying Evernote for, and where I think they might have a better chance at keeping consistency than if I script my own solution. I do have a backup for the catastrophic case where Evernote should go out of business. 

Another issue, I'm not sure whether notes get updated in the history when only tags are changed, and I change tags frequently when reviewing material. So I wouldn't get that backed up.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, lhb said:

Did you automate that in the cloud? 

My backup process runs automatically on my Mac, using an applescript documented here
A cloud solution would have benefits.  The only service I've seen is cloudHQ which exports your notes to a Dropbox folder

Its interesting you mention tags because its a deficiency in my procedures
I trigger my backups based on the note Update Date which doesn't get updated with a tag change

Thanks for the helpful info. 

Yes, tags for notes are for me the most useful feature of Evernote, together with the notes and attachments that allow me to group the information better than any file could. Evernote with tagging is incredibly useful --- if it works and is reliable. That's what makes it so hard to back up --- let alone move --- to another service.

• Level 5*
On 5/19/2016 at 3:52 PM, Gary17 said:

Yes, I do. I use both and it's not much harder to do that, plus it solves some problems that can't be solved by one account. This is all using the Windows Evernote client, by the way. First; I'm a software developer, and I've amassed a fair number of software development related notes, articles and documents in a single notebook in my personal account; I need that notebook at work, too. Second, I work at home a fair bit, so I need my work-related tasks, projects, specifications, etc. available to me when I do so; again, these are isolated into a small number of notebooks. Third, I have things in my personal account that I never want to be available on my work computer. 

The easiest way of achieving my aims is to share selected notebooks (e.g. Development, plus a couple more) from my personal account to my work account, and share my work project notebooks to my personal account. The idea here is to share only what I need in the other account. This system gets around something that some users have long wanted: selective syncing, i.e., the ability to sync only subset of your notebooks to a local machine, something that's kinda available on mobile devices, but not on the desktop clients.

The only real awkwardness I've encountered with this system is the problem of shared tags:

• You may only tag a note that's in a notebook that's shared to you with tags from its notebook.This is awkward, but you can generally get around this by using the web client.
  • Tags from shared notebooks are not able to participate in your local tag tree; they're all up at the top level of your tags. It's not clear to me why this is so, since any tag hierarchy that you have in the account you share from is not reflected in the account you share to. You should just be able to drag them anywhere you like

I've used this system for awhile now, across two separate employers. Seems to work fine for me.

Archived