Jump to content
norm3

Adding comments to a Note in different format?

Recommended Posts

Is there a way to add comments to a Note in a different format?

For example, I often have a list of questions for an upcoming meeting. Then when I'm in the meeting or on the call, I'd like to add the answers to that Evernote Note but in a different format from the questions. Either change color or change to italics or some differentiating formatting.

I don't want to go back after the fact and highlight them and change them which is what I do now and is time consuming and inefficient.

So does anyone know of a way to set editing of an existing Note to a new format and then return to normal after finished with that editing?

I hope my question is clear.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, norm3 said:

 

Is there a way to add comments to a Note in a different format?

The way I do this is set up my note (template) ahead of time with areas for subject and comments precoded for format.  You can even use a table so you have distinct sections.

This also allows me to update the note on my iPad, which has a reduced formatting feature set..

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, DTLow said:

The way I do this is set up my note (template) ahead of time with areas for subject and comments precoded for format.  You can even use a table so you have distinct sections.

This also allows me to update the note on my iPad, which has a reduced formatting feature set..

Thank you for the response. However this EN user doesn't follow.

Are there any examples available?

And does your method work if one does not know ahead of time where in a Note there may be content added that you want in a different format?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, norm3 said:

Are there any examples available?

I put togeather the example below, setting up a note before going to a meeting
I preformatted a table, heading sizes/colour, note sizes/colour

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 6.36.35 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎19 at 3:27 PM, norm3 said:

Is there a way to add comments to a Note in a different format?

For example, I often have a list of questions for an upcoming meeting. Then when I'm in the meeting or on the call, I'd like to add the answers to that Evernote Note but in a different format from the questions. Either change color or change to italics or some differentiating formatting.

I don't want to go back after the fact and highlight them and change them which is what I do now and is time consuming and inefficient.

So does anyone know of a way to set editing of an existing Note to a new format and then return to normal after finished with that editing?

I hope my question is clear.

Thank you for any suggestions.

I have for a long time been waiting for something similar to "comments" in word. And since v6 I now use the "code block" for this and it works pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post

I search Evernote for "code block" and struck out.

Where would I find info on this tip?

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, norm3 said:

I search Evernote for "code block" and struck out.

Where would I find info on this tip?

Thank you.

The image below is from my Mac.
I right clicked on a selection of text

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 4.00.51 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post

These suggestions all require too much manipulation.

Say I was interviewing a candidate. I want to type in 20 questions. Then as I interview the candidate I want to type answers/notes around my questions, but visually distinguish the questions from the notes.  I don't want to painstakingly prepare pre-formatted lines around each of the 20 questions. I just want to type in my 20 questions, select them all, and with one click give them a "protected" format that is not inherited by the surroundings (for example hitting carriage return at the end of the question line does NOT carry the format to the new line). So anything I type in and around the question shows in a different (the default) font.

BTW, on my latest mac client, selecting text and choosing Code Block does nothing. Seems broken.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

If you select all the questions and set the format, then the 'white space' in between will inherit that formatting. I don't see how to do what you want without some manual manipulation changing the format of the answers in between the questions.

 

I think DTLow's table solution is going to be your best best. 

Share this post


Link to post

ScreenHunter_822 Aug. 03 16.25.jpg

OK, here is what I did in about 15 seconds. I created a one column table. I selected the whole thing and changed the text to red. I then right clicked and chose Insert column to right. When I type in the right column the text is black. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ddenlinger said:

These suggestions all require too much manipulation.

Say I was interviewing a candidate. I want to type in 20 questions. Then as I interview the candidate I want to type answers/notes around my questions, but visually distinguish the questions from the notes.  I don't want to painstakingly prepare pre-formatted lines around each of the 20 questions. I just want to type in my 20 questions, select them all, and with one click give them a "protected" format that is not inherited by the surroundings (for example hitting carriage return at the end of the question line does NOT carry the format to the new line). So anything I type in and around the question shows in a different (the default) font.

BTW, on my latest mac client, selecting text and choosing Code Block does nothing. Seems broken.

 

 

You could create a 2x20 table with questions on the left and answers on the right.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...