Use of Ctrl-Q search

The new Ctrl-Q search works very well, but I think it would be better if its scope were automatically extended to All Notes. If you use a Ctrl-Q search from a subset of Notes, it will search on that subset. Given that Ctrl-Q's natural scope is All Notes, it is awkward to have to select All Notes before carrying out a Ctrl-Q search. If you do want to do a search on a subset of notes, the general search function works well enough.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, roberts said:

The new Ctrl-Q search works very well, but I think it would be better if its scope were automatically extended to All Notes. If you use a Ctrl-Q search from a subset of Notes, it will search on that subset. Given that Ctrl-Q's natural scope is All Notes, it is awkward to have to select All Notes before carrying out a Ctrl-Q search. If you do want to do a search on a subset of notes, the general search function works well enough.

I agree! I'm a strong supporter of the general search field defaulting to searching within the current search, but Ctrl+Q would be better suited as a complementary search that defaults to searching all of EN, including tags and notebooks.

• Level 5

Ctrl+Q Quick Search does not search for notes at all. It searches for notebooks, tags, saved and recent searches and, if HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/MaxQuickSearchSuggestionCount is > 0, for note search suggestions. All these searches are performed against entire Evernote database with no scope whatsoever.

• Level 5

HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/MaxQuickSearchSuggestionCount is > 0,

I realize there are several other Registry hacks to control Evernote.

Suggestion: If Evernote intends to continue down this route to control options, a tutorial on Registry Hacking should be included in the help section.

My current workaround solution is to wait until my son drops by and he makes the latest Evernote Registry change.  He usually asks me why Evernote programmers don't program the fix in the first place.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Ctrl+Q Quick Search does not search for notes at all. It searches for notebooks, tags, saved and recent searches and, if HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/MaxQuickSearchSuggestionCount is > 0, for note search suggestions. All these searches are performed against entire Evernote database with no scope whatsoever.

If I write something in the Ctrl+Q search field and press Enter, it will search for notes containing that word but only within the current context.

• Level 5
46 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I realize there are several other Registry hacks to control Evernote.

Suggestion: If Evernote intends to continue down this route to control options, a tutorial on Registry Hacking should be included in the help section.

We're planning major re-design of Tools/Options dialog replacing it with much more scalable and elaborate solution which will cover all useful program options. Registry hacking won't be needed anymore.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Repeating here, posted in the Beta thread.  If you do two Ctrl-Q saved searches in succession, the second does not start in all notes context, it appends to the first search.  The first works as expected, not the second.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, gustavgi said:

If I write something in the Ctrl+Q search field and press Enter, it will search for notes containing that word but only within the current context.

Thank you for the explanation, now it all makes sense. This is a bug and it is already fixed for the next release.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, csihilling said:

Repeating here, posted in the Beta thread.  If you do two Ctrl-Q saved searches in succession, the second does not start in all notes context, it appends to the first search.  The first works as expected, not the second.

Yup, known issue, already fixed. Thank you for reporting!

I just got notification and updated to the new beta.  And, when I saw "CTRL+Q" touted as a new feature, I had to pause my busy day and chime in.

I just don't see how this is an advantage over the way V5's search worked - where it let you "make your take and eat it too."  i.e., it searched for all notes, as well as all the other stuff the "new" Quick Search does.  i.e., Notebooks, Tags, Saved Searches.

CTRL+Q pops up in an "odd" area in my opinion.

I think, IMHO, that we would be better served just making search work the way it did, but, make CTRL+Q jump you up to the search bar.

Though, side note, I just tried this - CTRL + Q works in a note window too, but the result takes you back to the main Evernote Window (as it should) anyway.  So, even there, CTRL+Q taking you to the main window from a note would not be a bad thing.

Again, that's my two cents.  I think losing what we did from search was a step backwards.  But, I say that with all affection - I live, eat, breath Evernote all day everyday. :-)

As always, thanks to @kvitekp and all for listening and your consideration. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

I think, IMHO, that we would be better served just making search work the way it did, but, make CTRL+Q jump you up to the search bar.

Pretty much already have the ability to jump to the search bar, Tools - Options - Hot Keys - Find in Evernote.  I use Alt-F since Ctrl-Q is used in other places. 

IAC, agree 100%, prefer the search bar as it was - one stop shopping - start typing and see notebooks, tags, recent searches, saved searches, and whatever search you are entering. 

Two ways to search versus one is an interesting design decision, forgive this editorial comment.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it bewildering why there would be a secondary search box popup. Why not just build the quick search functionality (ie recent and saved searches, search suggestions) into the main search bar; which also already had a shortcut key of F6?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Michael Goulding said:

I find it bewildering why there would be a secondary search box popup. Why not just build the quick search functionality (ie recent and saved searches, search suggestions) into the main search bar; which also already had a shortcut key of F6?

Because then the search wouldn't be accessible from single note view, and the search lag from v5 would likely be back, if you want real-time search for notes to stay.

• Level 5*
On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎03 at 10:56 PM, Didgeridoo said:

The shortcut is weirdly chosen. Why not just ctrl+F like the standard search shortcut? That one isn't even used...

Just an idea...

Ctrl+F is used for in-note search. Q stands for Quick search.

I do NOT like the CTRL+Q, not because I do not like search, but because they removed the shortcut for exiting evernote (which was CTRL+Q).

That is very annoying, as explicit exiting is the only way to save notes arrangement settings (if you directly close Windows they are not saved).

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if any movement will be had on this search thing?  Or, now that Evernote V6 is out, we get what we get?

Don't get me wrong; happy with some of the updates and still eat, breath and live in Evernote every day.  But, here we are, what, like 60 days in?  I still find myself having to "think" how to use version 6.  i.e., oh yeah, I need to get to a notebook.  Do I CTRL+Q?  Do I use the magnifying glass in the nav?  Do I have that as a shortcut?  I never did that much thinking before - I just used it - in this case, the search bar.

• Level 5*
On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎09 at 6:31 PM, John Doe 75 said:

I do NOT like the CTRL+Q, not because I do not like search, but because they removed the shortcut for exiting evernote (which was CTRL+Q).

That is very annoying, as explicit exiting is the only way to save notes arrangement settings (if you directly close Windows they are not saved).

Ctrl+Shift+Q exits the windows application with the layout preserved.

• Level 5*

@JeffreyC

I feel your pain a bit.  I had to add a couple of PhraseExpress hot key searches so as to clear the search context.  But actually, I think I like the new cumulative search process unless you clear.  Like anything else, change can be a PITA.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, JeffreyC said:

I need to get to a notebook.  Do I CTRL+Q?  Do I use the magnifying glass in the nav?  Do I have that as a shortcut?  I never did that much thinking before - I just used it - in this case, the search bar.

I use Ctrl+Q if i need to find some sort of a matching filter: notebook, tag, saved or recent search or search suggestion.

To locate a notebook, a tag or a saved search, I use Alt+F1, Alt+F2 or Alt+F3 ... click magnifying glass in the left panel seems less efficient because it involves mouse action followed by keyboard input whereas Alt+Fx followed by search input involves only keyboard.

33 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I had to add a couple of PhraseExpress hot key searches so as to clear the search context.

Would you mind sharing what they are?

34 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Like anything else, change can be a PITA.

So true... however, I hope you'll like changes in the upcoming release because they all are additions rather than changes.

• Level 5
43 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

To locate a notebook, a tag or a saved search, I use Alt+F1, Alt+F2 or Alt+F3

Wow, thanks! That is a great keystroke tip. And it lets me keep the Left Panel closed to give more real estate to my data.

Alt+F1 - To locate a notebook
Alt+F2 - To locate a tag
Alt+F3 - To locate a saved search

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

Would you mind sharing what they are? <PhraseExpress hot keys added>

So true... however, I hope you'll like changes in the upcoming release because they all are additions rather than changes.

Biggest one was to make Shift-Alt-T start from All Notes context (which is where it used to start if one didn't have search current context set if I remember).  So I created a hot key which does Find in Evernote (Ctl-Alt-F for me) followed by Shift-Alt-T.  

Also had to add Find in Evernote to a couple of searches I had that were driven by highlighted text (highlight the text   Main one being Shift-Ctrl-Z which copies text I have highlighted in any application and then does a search on all notes in EN.  

Hope this helps and looking forward to the additions.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, kvitekp said:

I use Ctrl+Q if i need to find some sort of a matching filter: notebook, tag, saved or recent search or search suggestion.

To locate a notebook, a tag or a saved search, I use Alt+F1, Alt+F2 or Alt+F3 ... click magnifying glass in the left panel seems less efficient because it involves mouse action followed by keyboard input whereas Alt+Fx followed by search input involves only keyboard.

Would you mind sharing what they are?

I think the "problem" is that what is still called a "search bar" (it still has the help text "Search notes") is no longer a search bar, but more like a filter for the current context.

But having it this way, combined with option of the Ctrl+Q feature which will search all of Evernote, opens up some great and quick new ways to both find and filter among search results. But since the "search bar" still looks pretty much the same as pre-v6, I understand that some people will struggle with rewiring the thought of its use. And on top of this I consider Ctrl+Q to be a "hidden" feature, with a name (Quick search) that isn't very intuitive of what it does and therefore doesn't really do it justice.

In addition to this I am on a Surface Pro 4 touch screen, and without using PhraseExpress and touch gesture mapping, I would have to access Ctrl+Q through the View menu (Which is where most other windows software put small custom UI change options)

Some of the top of my head suggestions:

- Consider changing the help text in the "search bar" to "filter current content/context" or something similar. This would also helps explain the function of both the notebook and the tag picker in the "search information" (also an unintuitive description btw) as both of those also filter the current context.

- Consider renaming Quick search to Power search or something similar.

- Consider adding Power search as a standard button to both the main toolbar and single note toolbar. Being able to quickly see saved searches suggestions and tag suggestions from single note view without losing focus has been a great addition, but I guess to many a hidden one.

- Since Quick search is now accessible also from single note view as well, consider adding a right click option that let's you use Quick search for highlighted text (similar to what @csihilling mentions, but within Evernote). I have implemented this function using PhraseExpress as well and it's very convenient!

A couple of other semi-unrelated things:

- In the search suggestions notebook pop-out when clicking "several", would it be possible to implement the same type of preview on mouse hoover as in Ctrl+Q?

- The X in the Ctrl+Q search, after having typed a search, doesn't really have any purpose except to close the search box in the same way as clicking outside the box. Would it be possible to implement a magnifying glass instead, that would execute a note search?

- Please add a keyboard shortcut to the Shortcut pop-out!!

• Level 5
38 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Biggest one was to make Shift-Alt-T start from All Notes context

So you prefer Tag Picker to always search all tags instead of the ones associated with the notes in the current context, correct?

BTW, the fastest way to reset current context is Shift+F6 which is equivalent to pressing All Notes.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Biggest one was to make Shift-Alt-T start from All Notes context (which is where it used to start if one didn't have search current context set if I remember).  So I created a hot key which does Find in Evernote (Ctl-Alt-F for me) followed by Shift-Alt-T.  

14 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

So you prefer Tag Picker to always search all tags instead of the ones associated with the notes in the current context, correct?

But isn't that what Alt+F2 is for?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

BTW, the fastest way to reset current context is Shift+F6 which is equivalent to pressing All Notes.

Simple answer is yes re Tag Picker starting in all notes context.  For me, the use of tag picker typically happens at the beginning of a search, and may be the end.  Occasionally I add text after picking a few tags.  Don't know if this is one of those options you want to have as a parameter.  

For text searches I use my find hot key or Ctrl-Q.  One change I might make to Ctrl-Q would be to have the cursor at the end of whatever is in the search bar after executing the search.  That would dumb it down to one way to start text searches for me.  The same could be said for hitting enter with a blank entry in the tag picker search area.  So if you don't see what you want in the note list you can refine the search right away without changing focus to the search bar.

Appreciate the heads up on Shift-F6, but now I just hit Shift-Ctrl-F to go to all notes tag picker, one move.  And my fingers are trained for Ctrl-Alt-F for find, or Ctrl-Q for recent or saved searches.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

But isn't that what Alt+F2 is for?

Not if you want to select multiple tags in a row.  Shift-Alt-T lets you go find tag<enter>find tag<enter>.  Example would be looking for a statement.  I type sta<enter>companyname<enter> to get a list of "statement" notes for companyname.  I have a tag Statement which is unique after 3 characters and companyname is as few as 1 but typically 2-4.  Hope this makes sense.

:wacko: I read the latest posts last night and felt I just had to chime in first thing this morning.

It seems like Pre-V-6, "Search" did all we wanted*.  And, it was in one, convenient place.  I don't get what the value add is for the change to CTRL+Q?

* All Notes or Current Context, Notes, Notebooks, Tags and, as a bonus, I loved it showed saved searches.  

:) Just trying to help keep our tool a great tool. 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, csihilling said:

Not if you want to select multiple tags in a row.  Shift-Alt-T lets you go find tag<enter>find tag<enter>.  Example would be looking for a statement.  I type sta<enter>companyname<enter> to get a list of "statement" notes for companyname.  I have a tag Statement which is unique after 3 characters and companyname is as few as 1 but typically 2-4.  Hope this makes sense.

But if you make Shift-Alt-T to always start from an All notes context, like you wrote above, you can't stack multiple tags can you?

Alt+F2 searches among all tags regardless of the context, and Shift-Alt-T gives you the option to filter the current context further.

So if you have a certain context in front of you, that you want to filter further, you just press Shift-Alt-T.

But if you first want to clear the current content and search among all tags, you press Alt+F2 (or Ctrl+Q) instead. After that you can of course use Shift-Alt-T to further filter by additional tags.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

:wacko: I read the latest posts last night and felt I just had to chime in first thing this morning.

It seems like Pre-V-6, "Search" did all we wanted*.  And, it was in one, convenient place.  I don't get what the value add is for the change to CTRL+Q?

* All Notes or Current Context, Notes, Notebooks, Tags and, as a bonus, I loved it showed saved searches.  

:) Just trying to help keep our tool a great tool. 

Like me, you have to be careful with using "we" when there are others with opposing opinions... :)

I hugely prefer it the v6 way with both options at your disposal. And we finally have a dedicated area for quickly filtering in on search results in several ways.

All my searches now starts with Ctrl+Q. This way context is reset, and I get both my list of saved searches, list of earlier searches, tags, and notebooks. And if I want to search for just notes I just type Enter.

After I have used Ctrl+Q, the "dedicated filter area", consisting of the old search bar, the notebook picker, and the tag picker helps me move in on a target note.

To give a cooking example, say I want to make some Pasta, and I have Eggs in the fridge. I would probably have my Pasta recepies tagged with "Pasta", and I might have a tag for "Eggs" or I might not.

I would then start with a Ctrl+Q/Alt+F2 search for the tag "Pasta". All notes tagged with pasta show up in the search results. I can then directly type in "egg" in the old "search bar"/new filter bar, and narrow down my Pasta recepies to the notes that include the word egg. From there on I could use the tag picker (Alt-Shift-T) which will then give me suggestions of tags that are limited to what my pasta/egg notes are tagged with.

Fuzzing with changing between search all notes/search this context was a pain in v5, and I barely used "search this context" because I was to lazy to switch and switch back everytime, and search all notes was always more important. But now search all notes is just that Ctrl+Q away.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

But if you make Shift-Alt-T to always start from an All notes context, like you wrote above, you can't stack multiple tags can you?

Alt+F2 searches among all tags regardless of the context, and Shift-Alt-T gives you the option to filter the current context further.

So if you have a certain context in front of you, that you want to filter further, you just press Shift-Alt-T.

But if you first want to clear the current content and search among all tags, you press Alt+F2 (or Ctrl+Q) instead. After that you can of course use Shift-Alt-T to further filter by additional tags.

I have always started multi tag pick in all notes context and prefer one hot key.  Pre V6 my search context was set to all notes, so every time I pressed Shift-Alt-T I began in all notes.  Not so with V6.  

My solution now is a PhraseExpress hot key which combines my Find hot key with Shift-Alt-T.  I like the cumulative search in V6, but would rather not have to manually reset the search context in some instances, such as this.  Ctrl-Q (mostly for saved and recent searches but can be an all notes text search), the reg hack to force reset (soon to be an option), and PhraseExpress help me with reset to all notes.  If I add a tag during the search I tend to use the drop down.  Hope this makes sense.  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, csihilling said:

I have always started multi tag pick in all notes context and prefer one hot key.  Pre V6 my search context was set to all notes, so every time I pressed Shift-Alt-T I began in all notes.  Not so with V6.  

My solution now is a PhraseExpress hot key which combines my Find hot key with Shift-Alt-T.  I like the cumulative search in V6, but would rather not have to manually reset the search context in some instances, such as this.  Ctrl-Q (mostly for saved and recent searches but can be an all notes text search), the reg hack to force reset (soon to be an option), and PhraseExpress help me with reset to all notes.  If I add a tag during the search I tend to use the drop down.  Hope this makes sense.  

I understand that you prefer to use the same hotkey for the first tag and the additional tags, and that is of course fair.

But when you are using PhraseExpress to add a keyboard shortcut which combines Find hot key with Shift-Alt-T, for the first tag, isn't that hotkey doing what Alt+F2 is doing?

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I understand that you prefer to use the same hotkey for the first tag and the additional tags, and that is of course fair.

But when you are using PhraseExpress to add a keyboard shortcut which combines Find hot key with Shift-Alt-T, for the first tag, isn't that hotkey doing what Alt+F2 is doing?

For the first tag yes, but not for a multi tag pick, particularly if you use the hack to reset the search context where each Alt-F2 then resets the context.  Not sure, but if you don't use the hack, I think after you pick a tag with Alt-F2 you have to enter Alt-F2 again to pick another tag.  So it is <Alt-F2><select tag><Alt-F2><select tag>....   

For me it is <PE hot key><select tag><select tag>.,,,,  And in V5 it was <Shift-Alt-T><select tag><select tag>.....  Shift-Alt-T is the key here, the ability to pick tags in succession.

• Level 5*

BTW it would be nice if Shortcuts had a section below saved searches in Ctrl+Q, so that you could just access them by scrolling down. 

When I want to access my Shortcuts I am usually in a place where they can't be easily accessed residing in the top of the left panel. And placing them in the toolbar isn't that great as it still isn't accessible from single note view, and clutters the UI. I also have so many that it requires both pressing the expand arrows and then scrolling to find the ones in the bottom.

• Level 5
On 7/6/2016 at 1:48 PM, gustavgi said:

In the search suggestions notebook pop-out when clicking "several", would it be possible to implement the same type of preview on mouse hoover as in Ctrl+Q?

Very good suggestion, implemented.

- The X in the Ctrl+Q search, after having typed a search, doesn't really have any purpose except to close the search box in the same way as clicking outside the box. Would it be possible to implement a magnifying glass instead, that would execute a note search?

Another good one. Also implemented. Thank you for helping us to make a better product!

What is "Shortcut pop-out!" ?

• Level 5
On 7/8/2016 at 9:31 AM, gustavgi said:

BTW it would be nice if Shortcuts had a section below saved searches in Ctrl+Q, so that you could just access them by scrolling down. 

When I want to access my Shortcuts I am usually in a place where they can't be easily accessed residing in the top of the left panel. And placing them in the toolbar isn't that great as it still isn't accessible from single note view, and clutters the UI. I also have so many that it requires both pressing the expand arrows and then scrolling to find the ones in the bottom.

Sounds like a good idea, i'll see what can be done.

• Level 5
On 7/6/2016 at 3:09 PM, csihilling said:

Simple answer is yes re Tag Picker starting in all notes context.  For me, the use of tag picker typically happens at the beginning of a search, and may be the end.  Occasionally I add text after picking a few tags.  Don't know if this is one of those options you want to have as a parameter.

Soon to be available 6.2 Beta1 will have a persistent option to show all tags in the tag picker. The setting can also be temporarily reversed if you hold down Ctrl key when clicking on a tag filter icon.

• Level 5*
On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎06 at 10:48 PM, gustavgi said:

12 hours ago, kvitekp said:

What is "Shortcut pop-out!" ?

I was refering to the box that pops up if you have the shortcuts placed in the left panel and you click the star when the left panel is collapsed. Tags, notebooks and saved searches have Alt+F1/F2/F3.

Such a keyboard shortcut would be handy also for people that have the shortcuts placed in the toolbar, and it could even make it possible to hide the shortcuts for space optimization, if they are accessible through a keyboard shortcut.

• Level 5
10 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I was refering to the box that pops up if you have the shortcuts placed in the left panel and you click the star when the left panel is collapsed. Tags, notebooks and saved searches have Alt+F1/F2/F3.

Such a keyboard shortcut would be handy also for people that have the shortcuts placed in the toolbar, and it could even make it possible to hide the shortcuts for space optimization, if they are accessible through a keyboard shortcut.

Excellent idea!

On 7/7/2016 at 9:11 AM, gustavgi said:

Like me, you have to be careful with using "we" when there are others with opposing opinions... :)

Very true; thank you for pointing that out. :-)

On 7/7/2016 at 9:11 AM, gustavgi said:

To give a cooking example, say I want to make some Pasta, and I have Eggs in the fridge. I would probably have my Pasta recepies tagged with "Pasta", and I might have a tag for "Eggs" or I might not.

I would then start with a Ctrl+Q/Alt+F2 search for the tag "Pasta". All notes tagged with pasta show up in the search results. I can then directly type in "egg" in the old "search bar"/new filter bar, and narrow down my Pasta recepies to the notes that include the word egg. From there on I could use the tag picker (Alt-Shift-T) which will then give me suggestions of tags that are limited to what my pasta/egg notes are tagged with.

Fuzzing with changing between search all notes/search this context was a pain in v5, and I barely used "search this context" because I was to lazy to switch and switch back everytime, and search all notes was always more important. But now search all notes is just that Ctrl+Q away.

Wow; that is a LOT of actions and clicking.  Using your example with "old search," I would typed "tag:Pasta egg" and I would have been done. No CTRL+Q this, ALT-SHIFT-T that.  Or, wait, is it F2?  ALT F2?  I used to just "click in search and go" (and, yes, if you don't like the search parameters, the drop down started showing you all possibilities, including your Pasta tag).

I just got the Beta; and with the "pass the search to the note search" feature, maybe it's still "one action" like I'm used to.  I'll give it a try for awhile.

The thing that is stuck in my craw - not only is it lost functionality for me, but, as a software that hopes to bring on new users and survive, I'm concerned "CTRL+Q" / ALT+F1 / ALT-SHIFT-T's" etc. are going to quickly be a deterrent to someone sticking with Evernote.

Thanks for listening. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Wow; that is a LOT of actions and clicking.  Using your example with "old search," I would typed "tag:Pasta egg" and I would have been done. No CTRL+Q this, ALT-SHIFT-T that.  Or, wait, is it F2?  ALT F2?  I used to just "click in search and go" (and, yes, if you don't like the search parameters, the drop down started showing you all possibilities, including your Pasta tag).. 

Well like i wrote in the first paragraph, my example implied that I didn't know if I have an "Eggs" tag or not. With your example it would be even more clicks, as the first list of results would be empty if there is no "Eggs" tag.

Either way my example implied that i didn't know I wanted eggs to be the second ingredient when I started my search. To demonstate the value of filtering existing results.

The click on tags after that to narrow the search further implies that I don't know which other ingredients that I migh want to cook with, but Evernote will help suggest as it will only show suggestion of tags in my current context.

I use Evernote just as much for finding information I didn't know I was looking for when I start my search, as helping me get to a specific note(s).

Wow! I haven't even realised that there are so many search modes. I have always used either Ctrl+F to search within current note or the box above the list of the notes to search within all notes. Does this mean that the search box search does lookup everything, i.e. the subject, the body and the keywords? Really confusing.

• Level 5*
On 7/10/2016 at 10:35 AM, gustavgi said:

Don't know how much space you can save since the menu and toolbar are always showing.  Putting the tool bar to the right of the menu bar would add some space for shortcuts.  I am limiting myself to shortcuts that fit on the screen (17 at the moment).  Of course I'm thinking about a 30" monitor...  ;) 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Juha Metsäkallas said:

Wow! I haven't even realised that there are so many search modes. I have always used either Ctrl+F to search within current note or the box above the list of the notes to search within all notes. Does this mean that the search box search does lookup everything, i.e. the subject, the body and the keywords? Really confusing.

The search box above the note lists only searches for text unless you prefix with notebook: or tag: to add a notebook or tags to the search.  Ctrl-Q on the other hand will search for text, tags, notebooks, saved searches and recent searches, displaying options as you type..  

Okay, at the risk of starting another volley, I've really been seething over the search thing the last couple of days as I've been on a big project and have been using Evernote extra heavily.  And, my personal pain (tip of my hat to @gustavgi in respect and making sure I don't say "our" pain) really focuses around:

1) Having to Think before Search - again, if I know I'm wanting to jump to a notebook, I have to remember to do CTRL+Q.  If I don't remember what notebook the thing is in (or I'm just being lazy), then I have to remember to click on the Search field, or, force myself to this new Shift+F6 thing.

2) Having to Repeat Myself, Over and Over - in the past, the suggestions off of search would show me the stuff I had searched for - regardless of it was Notebooks or Notes (or tags).  Now, I always have to CTRL+Q (WHEN I remember to do that) and re-type.  i.e., I just went for my "Web Reference Materials" notebook.  I've gone there like five times today.  In the past, "web" would be in the "recent searches" drop down and I would have just arrowed down to that.

If it all just centered around "search" again....

Anyway, again, not looking to "pick a fight" (I really don't have time for that :-)), but, this has been such a backwards step for me, I just wanted to give some more feedback.

Thanks for listening. 

As JeffreyC said, it's not good if you have to think about the search options before you can do search. IMHO, why don't have a CTRL/CMD+F to start search. Yes, you can have prefixes if you want to limit instantly. Otherwise put an indicator in the search results where an item was found (name of the notebook, tag, dark side of the moon...) and by clicking it you can filter the rest out. The basic idea is to have one search.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Okay, at the risk of starting another volley, I've really been seething over the search thing the last couple of days as I've been on a big project and have been using Evernote extra heavily.  And, my personal pain (tip of my hat to @gustavgi in respect and making sure I don't say "our" pain) really focuses around:

1) Having to Think before Search - again, if I know I'm wanting to jump to a notebook, I have to remember to do CTRL+Q.  If I don't remember what notebook the thing is in (or I'm just being lazy), then I have to remember to click on the Search field, or, force myself to this new Shift+F6 thing.

2) Having to Repeat Myself, Over and Over - in the past, the suggestions off of search would show me the stuff I had searched for - regardless of it was Notebooks or Notes (or tags).  Now, I always have to CTRL+Q (WHEN I remember to do that) and re-type.  i.e., I just went for my "Web Reference Materials" notebook.  I've gone there like five times today.  In the past, "web" would be in the "recent searches" drop down and I would have just arrowed down to that.

If it all just centered around "search" again....

Anyway, again, not looking to "pick a fight" (I really don't have time for that :-)), but, this has been such a backwards step for me, I just wanted to give some more feedback.

Thanks for listening. 

While I think there are probably many others who share your pain as well as the opposite, I still believe that changing it back to the way it was looses a lot of new practical search/filter functionality, just to help you not think for some milliseconds how you need to search.

It would also probably bring back the lag/hang issues from v5 that many experienced as well, as there seems to be a problem with implementing incremental search for both tags/notebook/saved searches and note content at the same time. I still guess that it's the main reason for splitting them up, and why Ctrl+Q doesn't have incremental note search as well, but requires you to press Enter.

Ctrl+Q is to me used to pick a context/navigate, and the search bar area (including the tag picker) is used to filter that context for words.

If Evernote is like a library, Ctrl+Q is for walking/picking a book shelf (for notebooks/tags/saved searches). The search bar then let's you find a specific note in that context (as if a computer was put in front of every book shelf only to search that shelf). Ctrl+Q also let's you do a note search all over Evernote if no relevant tags/notebooks show up when searching, by pressing Enter/the magnifying glass.

IMO the most confusing scenario would be if the Ctrl+Q dropdown was moved to the search bar, while keeping the functionality of having the search bar only searching the current context. That would mean that the dropdown would suggest tags/notebooks/saved searches outside the scope of your current context, while only letting you search within the current context. And removing the functionality where the search bar searches only within the current context, would be a huge step backwards.

However I do believe that Ctrl+Q search is such an important navigation tool that it shouldn't be "hidden" in a keyboard shortcut, so that you have to "remember" Ctrl+Q. A button for such a central function should be accessible from everywhere IMO.

Archived