Keep note selected after search?

Klippernote

Idea

After performing a search in Evernote using the search box top right, then scrolling through the list of search results, I will typically find the note that I'm looking for and select it. Unfortunately if I then clear the search bar, my note no longer remains selected. I find this behavior confusing. When I select the note it should remain selected. The current behavior clears the note selection and selects the most recently  selected note before the search was performed. Is there a way to change this, so that the note I select from my search results remains selected? One reason I want to do this, is that I find the highlighting of the search terms distracting. But also it strikes me as counter-intuitive.

1 reply to this idea

On 5/17/2016 at 6:20 PM, Klippernote said:

After performing a search in Evernote using the search box top right, then scrolling through the list of search results, I will typically find the note that I'm looking for and select it. Unfortunately if I then clear the search bar, my note no longer remains selected. I find this behavior confusing. When I select the note it should remain selected. The current behavior clears the note selection and selects the most recently  selected note before the search was performed. Is there a way to change this, so that the note I select from my search results remains selected? One reason I want to do this, is that I find the highlighting of the search terms distracting. But also it strikes me as counter-intuitive.

Could not agree more. This is especially important for when you are looking in context. A note for example that you knew you captured on a similar date as another note that you revealed through search.

Evernote search behaviour used to be like this in fact. Unless some massive architectural change made this now a more difficult feature; I don't know. I do know though that this is probably one of the most sane features an app like evernote should be the leader in. 

Evernote originally had such great search features; as a premium user I honestly am starting to question Evernote's direction of late. Finding things seems to be less effective than in earlier releases. I'm certain if they care to look at metrics, search is probably the feature that needs the most work today. I left before and I'm in that place again I'm afraid; struggling to see the value when Evernote should be the boss at search, it's the whole point is it not? 

+1 from me anyway, the 'keep last selected note selected' is an absolute no brainer and would be of incredible help when searching in context of time and date. SO much easier than actually entering in a specific date etc.

Come on Evernote, search was your thing!! 

Archived