Drag & Drop of PDF

I am not sure if this is an Evernote or something on my system, but I used to always be able to drag a PDF into a new Note in Evernote. Just recently, I have not been able to do this and I get a black circle with a line through it (size of the mouse pointer) and nothing happens. No message and the PDF will not go into the note. If I select attach from within the note, I can find the PDF and it will show up as the note (not an attachment).

Though the work around works, it is not efficient. Many times I will scan a document into a document manager and want it in Evenote as well. I would just drag the PDF from the document manager into the new note and it would show up and be in both places.

Did something change with the new version?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, PDACPA said:

I am not sure if this is an Evernote or something on my system, but I used to always be able to drag a PDF into a new Note in Evernote. Just recently, I have not been able to do this and I get a black circle with a line through it (size of the mouse pointer) and nothing happens. No message and the PDF will not go into the note. If I select attach from within the note, I can find the PDF and it will show up as the note (not an attachment).

Though the work around works, it is not efficient. Many times I will scan a document into a document manager and want it in Evenote as well. I would just drag the PDF from the document manager into the new note and it would show up and be in both places.

Did something change with the new version?

Works for me on my Mac, I can drag pdfs into or out of a note

I am on Windows 10. It works on my Macbook, but not on the windows machine. It used to so not sure why it stopped other than the new version or something specific to my machine.

• Level 5

It works for me on Windows 7 using the new version of Evernote. You could look at Tools > Options > Note, and see if Always show PDF documents inline is checked. But even if it's unchecked, dragging a PDF into the note should cause a placeholder to appear. Does it matter whether or not the note is open in a separate window?

I tried it both ways (and I have the Always show PDF). Drag into the Evernote program and created a new note in a separate window. Neither works. I also moved the PDF to the desktop to drag and drop and from Windows Explorer. I have been on Windows 10 for a while and I know this was not an issue. I am not sure what to look for on my computer that could be preventing it if it is not an Evernote issue.

• Level 5

Strange. I don't think there are any settings in Evernote that you could have changed to cause this. It may be necessary to contact EN tech support. But I'm certainly no expert, and someone else here may have an idea.

Archived