Shared Notebook with free and premium accounts

Hi Everyone,

I have a question surrounding shared notebooks. 

If I'm a premium user sharing a notebook with a free user then will my uploads into that notebook affect the other users upload limit? 

E.g the free upload limit is 60mb, but if I upload 1 GB into the 'Shared Notebook' then will this count against my upload, or both users? 

Thanks. I hope this makes sense!

Richard

• Level 5*

Quoting from the Evernote Help here:

Whose upload data is used in shared notebooks?

With shared notebooks, upload data is counted toward the notebook owner's monthly upload limit. Keep in mind, however, that note size limits are still determined by each individual note creator's account.

Example:

• If a Premium subscriber shares a notebook with someone with a Basic account, all notes created or edited in that notebook count toward the Premium subscriber's upload limit. However, the person with Evernote Basic can only create notes up to 25 MB in size while the Premium subscriber can create notes up to 200 MB in size.

Another notebook sharing issue. I'm a premium user who shared a notebook with a non-premium user, giving her full permission to view and edit. She can upload notes but can't create new tags. Any solutions?

2 hours ago, abq said:

Another notebook sharing issue. I'm a premium user who shared a notebook with a non-premium user, giving her full permission to view and edit. She can upload notes but can't create new tags. Any solutions?

Hey @abq,

Any tags you want to add to a shared notebook will have to first be added to that notebook by the person who created it. For instance, if you create a notebook and share it with me and the only tags you've added to the notebook are "red" and "blue," those will be the only tags I will be able to add to any of the notes in that notebook. As a workaround, some of our users will create a note in the shared notebook titled "Tags," then add tags they want/need to use into the note body. The creator of the shared notebook can then review this list and tag the "Tags" note with the suggested tags, thus allowing the other users to begin utilizing those tags in that notebook. 

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions!

I have shared a notebook in read-only mode with someone, but she doesn't see the tags I have placed on the notes. This renders the share useless for our purposes. Maybe there is something I have overlooked? I very much hope so!

I have the same issue. We want to share a notebook with some tagged notes that help filter them on the recipient side. So tags need to go with the share of the notebook. How can we accomplish this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Tags behaviour is - unpredictable - at best,  and I've preferred to use note links to connect information together.

I far prefer to use a TOC page - a Table of Contents of all the notes in my (shared) notebook.  On any desktop,  select all the relevant notes and a menu pops up asking whether you want to create a TOC.  Say 'yes' and the note is created with links to all the other notes in that notebook.  

Add a litlle indenting,  bold and some extra text,  and your user has a perfect 'home page' from which to browse.  Share the notebook,  but send your guest users the URL of the index page(s) only.  They'll be able to see the linked pages when they click.

(There's even some scope for levels of security if you share some pages with Group A and others with Group B.  If the wrong group clicks a wrong page link,  they'll get an error.)

If this is a business share,  you might want to copy and paste a 'back to index' link back to the TOC in all your notes or add a suggestion about using the 'back' button to get back there...

Requires some testing and experiment to suit your use case,  but it's a way to share more transparently with others.

Archived