cswsteve

Nesting Multiple Notebooks / Creating Sub-Notebooks

Idea

On 4/19/2020 at 4:24 PM, Me_in_VA said:

If EN can make it happen, I would definitely use it a lot more.

Well,  they may be in the process of expanding the options available... or they may not. We won't know until the next iteration of the Editor is launched onto an unsuspecting world.  Have to say that I feel I could manage your situation in one notebook with tags for years,  months and categories and saved searches to generate 'virtual' folders for (forinstance) Gaz for the month of April 2020 and commission for 'random replies'. But that's just me.  (Oh - and the saved searches could be made into Dashboards showing the constantly updated status of each employee for all their commissions with an add-in called Filterize... if you wanted.)

On 4/19/2020 at 8:24 AM, Me_in_VA said:

I would love to see EN add the ability to create sub-folders. It would be a great addition to using tags in keeping my data organized.

Evernote has no support for folders 

Instead, Evernote has two metadata fields; Notebooks and Tags

>Each year has a main folder. Then each month has a folder in the year'sfolder. Then I have sub-folders in each month's folder for each category of commissions that gets paid out.

You can use multiple levels in the Tag feature   
Folders can be emulated using the TagTree in the sidebar

On 4/19/2020 at 11:24 AM, Me_in_VA said:

The ability to have a main folder for a specific topic and then to have sub-folders in the main folder allows me to place all my data concerning the main topic into separate folders according to sub-categories. Once I have these sub-folders filled with some data I can add tags to help me locate what I need.

Tags can be used across notebooks, and are an effective way to group related notes, wherever they are. One other option: if you have a main note, you might want to turn it into a "table of contents" note by using note links to directly link to other, related notes. I use a combination of tags and note links myself.

Clearly reasons don't matter after 10+ years, so I won't even bother.  This would be a great feature to have.  I find it difficult to believe customers would be turned off to EN if such a feature was implemented, yet many of us fight this lack of function all the time.  I will keep looking for a replacement.  Being a software developer, I find it hard to believe there is a technical reason to not implement this,  hence my reason not to even bother with reasons.  EN has to want to ....

Please implement more nesting in the stacks.  Thank you!

I use OneNote for personal notes and lists specifically because of the page feature within each note. It's a game changer. That platform isn't supported by my organization and I almost lost a ton of days when I started using it for work notes. So I switched to Evernote, which is supported. As soon as my org starts supporting One Note, which or plans to do, I will be switching back. OneNote not only has the page feature, it also allows you to type or handwrite anywhere on the page--just like in a paper notebook. It's so great! Evernote catch up and I can stay with you.

Unfortunately we can only have 3 levels of organization:

"Pile of notebooks > notebooks > notes"

This is a big problem for me. Thats the specific point i cant use evernote for everything. I cant understand why we cant have the option to create more levels

I am organizing my EN-Notebooks via STACKS. Stacks usually are based on anchor topics under which I organize particular notebooks (threads). Over time, for me it became apparent that it would help if there were the possibility of a >STACK Hierarchy< meaning >a stack in a stack in a stack< .... the depth of 3 would be my best guess.... after that it gets hard (at least for me) to manage oversight.

Appreciate your consideration.

h-o-m-a

3 hours ago, h-o-m-a said:

it would help if there were the possibility of a >STACK Hierarchy< meaning >a stack in a stack in a stack< .... the depth of 3 would be my best guess

I've merged your post with the discussion for Notebook hierarchy.  
Stacks were never implemented as a defined entity and a stack hierarchy is impossible
(a stack with no notebooks doesn't exist) 

Currently, the only hierarchy supported is the Tags feature, with an unlimited hierarchy

16 hours ago, FigueiredoLuis said:

Unfortunately we can only have 3 levels of organization:

"Pile of notebooks > notebooks > notes"

This is a big problem for me. Thats the specific point i cant use evernote for everything. I cant understand why we cant have the option to create more levels

Notebooks can be organized into stacks   
For unlimited organization levels, use the Tags feature

This has turned into a never ending cycle of "we want this thing", "you can't do that thing but you can do this thing", "No, that's not the same thing at all, I want the thing done properly", " no, you can't do that but you can do this", "face palm"

It's just insane that so many people have asked for a decent hierarchy in Evernote, only to be told that they don't really when actually, they do and it's not an ureasonable thing to ask. So I[m going to cut myself off from this discussion before the sheer stupidity of it explodes my head.

Byby.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kimaldis said:

It's just insane that so many people have asked for a decent hierarchy in Evernote

@h-o-m-a is a new user to the forums, and seems unaware of the Evernote feature-sets 
The user is asking for assistance in using levels of organization

>>So I'm going to cut myself off from this discussion before the sheer stupidity of it explodes my head.

And others will continue to assist users with their inquiries

5 hours ago, kimaldis said:

This has turned into a never ending cycle of "we want this thing", "you can't do that thing but you can do this thing", "No, that's not the same thing at all, I want the thing done properly", " no, you can't do that but you can do this", "face palm"

It's just insane that so many people have asked for a decent hierarchy in Evernote, only to be told that they don't really when actually, they do and it's not an ureasonable thing to ask. So I[m going to cut myself off from this discussion before the sheer stupidity of it explodes my head.

Byby.

100% this. We know what we need and we know what we're asking for. It's possible. Very unclear why Evernote won't deliver.

2 hours ago, mpmahone said:

100% this. We know what we need and we know what we're asking for.

There is a request posted at the top of the discussion.  To indicate your support, use the voting button at the top left corner

Discussion is not required

>>It's possible.

Agreed, it's quite do-able;    
Evernote has already implemented a hierarchy with the tags feature, the same technique can be used for notebooks 

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

And others will continue to assist users with their inquiries

By answering qeustions that have been asked and ansered dozens and dozens of times. It's a waste of time and it's poor forum etiquette. Most forums you wouldn't get away with it.

5 minutes ago, kimaldis said:

By answering qeustions that have been asked and ansered dozens and dozens of times. It's a waste of time and it's poor forum etiquette. Most forums you wouldn't get away with it.

From the forum Code of Conduct

1. Do not chastise new users/newbies for asking questions or posting comments that may already be answered elsewhere. We get new users in the forums every day.

15 hours ago, MancChris said:

Simply put, I would find it very useful if Evernote could allow for a directory structure for organising notebooks and sub notebooks similar to how we can use folders and sub folders on Windows.

At present, Evernote only allows a two level hierarchy for Notebooks.  This is implemented by grouping notebooks into Stacks

Please add your vote to the request above.  Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion 

>>if I want to organise notes for writing a novel, I could call the main notebook 'Novel', and then have sub notebooks called 'characters', 'theme', etc.  Within 'Character'  I could then have sub-notebooks like 'David', 'Sarah', etc containing notes about those characters.

A work-around is to use a standard naming convention; for example

• Novel
  • Novel - Characters
  • Novel - Characters - David
  • Novel - Characters - Sarah
  • Novel - Theme

We don't have sub-notebooks, but you can organize tags into a hierarchy. This may allow you to set up the organizational scheme you're looking for.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2