cswsteve

Nesting Multiple Notebooks / Creating Sub-Notebooks

Idea

6 hours ago, jefito said:

putting particular members on 'ignore', which is what I'll be doing for your benefit shortly.

Thank you very much, couldn't ask for a better outcome. One less person endlessly replying to new users voicing their desire to have nested notebooks, with the same thing over and over again.

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

That's BS
This thread has degenerated into users posting BOOHOO, Evernote's so bad

>>If it is why does it bother you? 

This clutters up my use of the forum; learning to better use the Evernote product, and to help other users

Are you serious? How about the ultimate uncluttering for you, ignore this thread. It's 1400 posts about the same thing, what exactly is your reason for ever looking at it? 

If it clutters your day, simply don't open it. Believe me nobody is going to miss you cutting and pasting the same replies to every new user which is -"use tags, go use something else..."

You ignore this thread, your life becomes less cluttered, everybody is saved from yet another canned reply. Win/Win/Win

Every year or two, I get all excited about the possibilities of using Evernote to record and organise my life, then I remember why I abandoned it the last time - it's so difficult to organise things.

Yes, there are tag-related workarounds, but why can't I do what I've been doing on my mac for the last 25 years - put folders within folders (or 'Notebooks' if you insist)?

By FAR the simplest and most intuitive method IMHO. 

Come on Evernote - people have been asking for this for YEARS!

I have complex projects with multiple layers of subtasks and categories. Please can we have the ability to stack deeper than 2 levels. I would really like subfolder capability.

Just like the file system, the notebook in most case will have nested tree structure. 

Only having one level of notebook doesn't seem to be efficient for complicated noting process. 

New features like creating folder inside the notebook will be a great add-in to the notebook. 

On 8/18/2008 at 2:37 AM, engberg said:

We don't have sub-notebooks, but you can organize tags into a hierarchy. This may allow you to set up the organizational scheme you're looking for.

Hi Engberg!
Tags are great, but the are bit different:

1. Notebooks/folders are much more familiar for all the desktop computer users, because we all know folders and subfolders well. So multilevel notebooks hierarchy is kind of "essential" notes organazing.

2. If I am within a notebook, creating a new note will assign it to this notebook with no any extra actions. With tags, I shoud not forget to assign tag to the note to find it later.

P.S. BTW, is there an option to find "all notes without any tags" or "all notes without a specific tag"? This is to find such "forgotten notes" from (2)

32 minutes ago, Ivanhoe115 said:

Hi Engberg!
Tags are great, but the are bit different:

1. Notebooks/folders are much more familiar for all the desktop computer users, because we all know folders and subfolders well. So multilevel notebooks hierarchy is kind of "essential" notes organazing.

2. If I am within a notebook, creating a new note will assign it to this notebook with no any extra actions. With tags, I shoud not forget to assign tag to the note to find it later.

P.S. BTW, is there an option to find "all notes without any tags" or "all notes without a specific tag"? This is to find such "forgotten notes" from (2)

Hi. 

1. You're referencing a 10-year old post and @engberg doesn't work for Evernote any more.
  2. This is a 15-page thread and AFAIK all your arguments have been mentioned and debated before.
  3. Hierarchy is not 'essential' to note taking - Evernote has 250M users without providing anything yet.
  4. Most series of notes can be linked by title or content - look for reference numbers / zip codes / company names etc
  5. Where you do use tags it's possible to set up a template containing tags or keywords and duplicate that for each new entry.
  6. Search for all notes without tags is "-tag:*" (without the quotes)

See Tips for organizing notes, notebooks, and tags for more...

On 8/30/2019 at 4:42 AM, gazumped said:

BTW, is there an option to find "all notes without any tags" or "all notes without a specific tag"? This is to find such "forgotten notes" from (2)

Search   -tag:*      to find notes with no tags

For "forgotten notes" with missing notebook assignment, I search    notebook:Inbox    (my  default notebook)

>>Notebooks/folders are much more familiar for all the desktop computer users

From desktop computer use, I'm familiar with "folder" ; not notebook

Regardless of the name folder/notebook/tag, I'm able to work with  the product

The two main reasons why I am currently looking to replace EV with another solution are:
1. Their refusal to take on this very popular and very longstanding sub-stacks request—or at least admit that they can't do so (if that's the case) rather than try to pretend it isn't a desirable feature.
2. Their automatic, irreversible and non-refundable subscription renewals, which may be legal but which nevertheless create a sketchy and exploitative vibe. It's not that I would have said "no" so far if they'd asked me to renew—it's just that I would have liked to have been asked.

3 hours ago, srideou said:

The two main reasons why I am currently looking to replace EV with another solution are:
1. Their refusal to take on this very popular and very longstanding sub-stacks request—or at least admit that they can't do so (if that's the case) rather than try to pretend it isn't a desirable feature.
2. Their automatic, irreversible and non-refundable subscription renewals, which may be legal but which nevertheless create a sketchy and exploitative vibe. It's not that I would have said "no" so far if they'd asked me to renew—it's just that I would have liked to have been asked.

Hi.  Please read the thread for details,  but 

1. Evernote have said that implementing a notebook hierarchy is not within the scope of the current architecture of the database,  but they are in process of changing that.  Given that 250M people will be unhappy if anything breaks,  they're probably taking some care not to mess that up.
  2. If you decide at any stage not to renew your subscription you are completely in charge of upgrading,  downgrading or cancelling at any time.  Go to https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action and choose "manage subscription" .  Evernote do not 'ask' every subscriber whether they wish to renew - at least partly because even the lesser (than 250M) number of actual subscribers would require some millions of emails to be sent each year - around 50,000 per day.  If they were expected to deal with queries arising from that volume of customer contact,  there wouldn't be time to do anything else - like redesign that hierarchy...

4 hours ago, srideou said:

this very popular and very longstanding sub-stacks request

This request is for nested notebooks (sub-notebooks), not sub-stacks.

Sub-Stacks would be a problem because there's no actual stack object

>>or at least admit that they can't do so (if that's the case)

Evernote has demonstrated hierarchy implementation with the Tags feature. It's actually a simple database change, but the UI requires extensive work

It would be outstanding if I could add a third-level stack organization in my Evernote Premium notebook organization. My specific use case is for independent information for files related to each project, and business process without getting too detailed. I'm certain this would be popular as more organization offers more productivity. 

Currently I can only create a notebook and drag it into another notebook, so perhaps this feature request is for stacks within stacks. 

Thanks

On 9/6/2019 at 2:24 PM, Avi Lambert said:

My specific use case is for independent information for files related to each project 

Edit: Someone has merged the stacks discussion with the notebook discussion

I use tags to identify notes related to each project1106376030_ScreenShot2019-09-06at14_58_37.png.8b8954e6728d50d8a08595622ad6d56a.png

>>I'm certain this would be popular as more organization offers more productivity. 

Tags offer unlimited levels.

They are the primary Evernote tool for organization

>>this feature request is for stacks within stacks.

This is difficult to do because there is no actual stack object.

A more reasonable request is for hierarchy to be added to the notebook object.  This has been requested in the discussion linked below

Thanks, Steve, I noticed the other post and saw the depth of posts on it. Apologies for the duplication. Regarding tags, that's not a good use case from my perspective for what I'm using. I used tags before, and it became far too complex and overly un-organized. 

Hi Engberg, thanks for your feedback. But again, the use-case I am looking for simply does not work for tags.

Tags are not Notebooks.

Notebooks work much better for my use case, specifically because of the actions that can be used within Evernote with notebooks. More to the point, you can't share an item, idea, picture, our audio to a tag, in the same way you can to a notebook. Also, in terms of organization tags are messy, while notebooks are clean, in my view. It is for that reason that I do not find the tag workflow as worthwhile as the notebook workflow. And, from the negative votes on your post, and the length of the comment thread on this post, it would be smart for Evernote to look to implement this in the feature roadmap. 

35 minutes ago, Avi Lambert said:

Tags are not Notebooks.

As you  posted, Notebooks have special features.  They identify notes as

• Sync'd/local
  • private/shared
  • default (Inbox)

>>Also, in terms of organization tags are messy, while notebooks are clean, in my view.

In terms of organization, notebooks and tags are two fields assigned to a note.  They are interchangeable.

Please explain how field2 is messy, and field1 is clean

27 minutes ago, Avi Lambert said:

Hi Engberg, thanks for your feedback. But again, the use-case I am looking for simply does not work for tags.

Tags are not Notebooks.

Notebooks work much better for my use case, specifically because of the actions that can be used within Evernote with notebooks. More to the point, you can't share an item, idea, picture, our audio to a tag, in the same way you can to a notebook. Also, in terms of organization tags are messy, while notebooks are clean, in my view. It is for that reason that I do not find the tag workflow as worthwhile as the notebook workflow. And, from the negative votes on your post, and the length of the comment thread on this post, it would be smart for Evernote to look to implement this in the feature roadmap. 

I still feel bad that people come to this post expecting things to change, they won't but there is a solution mov to something that works for you. For me I moved to Nimbus Note and exported all my existing notes over to their app. I ended up using them because they publish all their development for every user to see, and you can contact them directly and contribute towards their future development. Are they as big as Evernote, no. And their app is a little rough around the edges but they support both unlimited notebook levels and tags, so win-win for me. I hope this helps other people who come here looking for answers because you won't get anything useful posting here, this post is almost 10 years old... 

31 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As you  posted, Notebooks have special features.  They identify notes as

• Sync'd/local
  • private/shared
  • default (Inbox)

>>Also, in terms of organization tags are messy, while notebooks are clean, in my view.

In terms of organization, notebooks and tags are two fields assigned to a note.  They are interchangeable.

Please explain how field2 is messy, and field1 is clean

In reply to your query, the issue is not about field2 or field1. The missing feature is second level organization. The attached image explains was I am looking for, with the OSX/Linux operating system. I have also attached a short of my own Evernote account to show that I use Notebooks primarily and stay away from tags. I have used tags in the past, and I've been using Evernote for over a decade. 

Evernote would do well and be smart to update the Notebook feature for premium and business users. Ian the CEO and the team are more user focused than previously which is good, but the features, long asked for by users like second level notebook organization are still behind what they could be.

my-org.png

second-level-stacks.png

51 minutes ago, Avi Lambert said:

You can reply to him all you want (and it's better if you learn to use the forum quoting system if you do reply to someone), but he''s not been around here for a long time (note the date on his post).

51 minutes ago, Avi Lambert said:

Tags are not Notebooks.

Sure. This is pretty well-known. Notebooks "contain", in that a note belongs to exactly one notebook at a time. Tags "label", in that a note may have multiple tags. In Evernote, notebooks are required for sharing a group of notes with someone else, or for designating local notebooks on a desktop computer, or offline notebooks on mobile platforms. You can't do that with tags.

Flip side, notebooks are also usable for partitioning your note set into discrete collections., but you can do that with tags, and moreover, you can organize those tags in a hierarchical fashion, which you cannot do with notebooks. Also because you can apply multiple tags to a note, a note can be categorized into several different categories, which is very useful, and no, you cannot do that with notebooks.

1 hour ago, Avi Lambert said:

More to the point, you can't share an item, idea, picture, our audio to a tag, in the same way you can to a notebook.

But you can certainly share individual notes.

Also, in terms of organization tags are messy, while notebooks are clean, in my view.  It is for that reason that I do not find the tag workflow as worthwhile as the notebook workflow. 

Please define "messy" vs. "clean". And what are the tag and notebook "workflows"? Tags and notebooks are organizational tools; a workflow is a procedure for processing information.

35 minutes ago, x9sim9 said:

And, from the negative votes on your post, and the length of the comment thread on this post, it would be smart for Evernote to look to implement this in the feature roadmap. 

No question that this is long requested. Somehow Evernote has weathered the demand over the 10 years or so since the original request, and grown to over 200 million users.Should they add it? Probably. Is it necessary? Not for me to say (I wouldn't use it, but that's just me). It could happen in the future, but if you're basing your decision on whether to use Evernote on whether nested notebooks are implemented or not, I'd say at this point don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

The missing feature is second level organization.

The request is for unlimited levels (Nesting Multiple Notebooks / Creating Sub-Notebooks)

We currently have unlimited organization levels with tags; users are asking for the same with notebooks 

>>tags are messy, while notebooks are clean661243210_ScreenShot2019-09-09at12_05_09.png.2ecbda1cf1a5cb0fa0fcc9f6a5d5c0cb.png

Please explain.  I used your screenshop as an example

Just shared this on Twitter with the goal of increasing the votes up so it will be taken seriously and acted upon. Just used Adobe Cloud and was able to configure third and fourth level folders without trouble. This should not be an issue for the development team IMHO. Share this in your community to get it voted up also. 

9 hours ago, Avi Lambert said:

Just used Adobe Cloud and was able to configure third and fourth level folders without trouble.

Adobe Cloud uses Folders and Sub-Folders?

Evernote uses Notebooks/Tags; some users in this discussion have problems adjusting to the name switch

We can emulate folders using the trees in the sidebar

• The notebook tree has 2 levels
  • The tag tree has unlimited levels; I can easily go 4+ levels using tags