cswsteve

Nesting Multiple Notebooks / Creating Sub-Notebooks

Idea

This sub-discussion has moved to here

@D-Nick Hover over the Tag line and you will see a + and the search symbol.  Use that + to create the three tags I mention and then you should see the three tags in the left hand pane.  After that you don't need to click on Tags to get the tag list, instead do the drag and drop right from the left hand pane.

8 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

@D-Nick Hover over the Tag line and you will see a + and the search symbol.  Use that + to create the three tags I mention and then you should see the three tags in the left hand pane.  After that you don't need to click on Tags to get the tag list, instead do the drag and drop right from the left hand pane.

Your patience, persistence and politeness are much appreciated, but I'm afraid that doesn't work here.  Hovering over "Tags" in the LH doesn't give a + symbol.  I see the tags only in the RH pane.  The only place I can add tags is from a note.

But don't worry about this - I am confident that I can dig into Evernote and the documentation and find how to do this.  It's hhow to use them to give the multi-level folders that I amm struggling with.

2 minutes ago, D-Nick said:

Hovering over "Tags" in the LH doesn't give a + symbol.

That is interesting.  Are you using the Windows client and not instead logging into Evernote from your web browser?

All my comments assume you are using the Windows client.  To check which version you have go to Help -> About -> and you will see the version you have.  For example, mine shows 6.17.6.8292

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

That is interesting.  Are you using the Windows client and not instead logging into Evernote from your web browser?

I am connecting to Evernote using Chrome, from Windows 10.  I'd not realised* there was another way in Windows.  Let me hunt around.  Thanks for spotting that.

* Or maybe I used to know, many years ago when I first started this saga, but had forgotten.

1 minute ago, D-Nick said:

I am connecting to Evernote using Chrome, from Windows 10.  I'd not realised there was another way in Windows.  Let me hunt around.  Thanks for spotting that.

Ok, that explains it.  The web version, how you are accessing Evernote, is currently a work in progress and not that feature rich.  Go to the Evernote site and download and install the Windows version.  Depending on how many notes you have it may take a little bit of time to download all of your notes but once it is up and running, the comments I and others have provided should now start making more sense.  🙂

27 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Ok, that explains it.  The web version, how you are accessing Evernote, is currently a work in progress and not that feature rich.  Go to the Evernote site and download and install the Windows version.  Depending on how many notes you have it may take a little bit of time to download all of your notes but once it is up and running, the comments I and others have provided should now start making more sense.  🙂

Yes, all your good help now makes a lot more sense - thank you very much.  I'll now see if I can work through the article by @JMichaelTX.

4 minutes ago, D-Nick said:

Yes, all your good help now makes a lot more sense - thank you very much.  I'll now see if I can work through the article by @JMichaelTX.

Glad to help.  Keep in mind that article was written from a Mac perspective and the Mac and Windows clients differ in some ways so you might see some differences.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Glad to help.  Keep in mind that article was written from a Mac perspective and the Mac and Windows clients differ in some ways so you might see some differences.

Ta. I can't see that being a problem - I can poke around and find the Windows equivalents, as long as the model/principles are the same. It's the concept of how to use these damned tags to simulate simple folders that is beating me at the moment, and if these guys has actually done it (rather than the others just asserting that tags is all that's needed, with no backup), that's what I need to see.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, D-Nick said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  That makes the notes (=sections) quite a lot bigger than I would like them to be (courses typically have a collection of different items within a section, such a lecture notes, my own reading, exercises, etc), but if this is the only way it can work, at least it *can* work and be browsable, unlike these really complicated and enthusiast-only tagging techniques.

So, are you not using tags at all?  Or just using them for secondary searching?

I don't use tag's much for things like non-fiction books, as the different chapters are their own subjects the note title is enough of a description for me. I'll do a few generic tags, but I don't go crazy.

The only tags I use for school is the class name. Then each note is titled for the topic, eg, Wk1 Discussion board, Wk2 Defining Project Scope, Wk3 HW Project Charter etc. Search is really easy, I select the one tag for my class, and all of my notes pop up, then I can search within that class.

489923241_Screenshot2019-02-11at5_04_33PM.png.04721044c5d2d46f10eb0d5ffc1e32be.png 907971322_Screenshot2019-02-11at5_15_52PM.png.1767a0d50f8c32c7026d0bbde6958d2a.png

The only thing I go tag heavy on is articles that I've saved in a dedicated archive notebook. I use an asterisk * instead of star or favorite, and subject(s) for example:

525885308_Screenshot2019-02-11at5_12_31PM.png.ba6aa9308065c418722e0dcdec30cafb.png

On 2018-03-25 at 8:03 AM, chrisalbertyn said:

I don't understand the reluctance to allow this improvement.

Welcome to the discussion.

Adding a notebook hierarchy requires an overhaul of the database design

Evernote seems reluctant to take on this workload.  Instead they implemented the Stack feature; which is only a 2 level hierarchy.

>>tags ... don't meet the need for sub-notebooks.

I'm not seeing proof of this, just that some users need the tags feature be called something different - like folders.  I think they would then find the feature more acceptable.

15 hours ago, MancChris said:

Simply put, I would find it very useful if Evernote could allow for a directory structure for organising notebooks and sub notebooks similar to how we can use folders and sub folders on Windows.

At present, Evernote only allows a two level hierarchy for Notebooks.  This is implemented by grouping notebooks into Stacks

Please add your vote to the request above.  Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion 

>>if I want to organise notes for writing a novel, I could call the main notebook 'Novel', and then have sub notebooks called 'characters', 'theme', etc.  Within 'Character'  I could then have sub-notebooks like 'David', 'Sarah', etc containing notes about those characters.

A work-around is to use a standard naming convention; for example

• Novel
  • Novel - Characters
  • Novel - Characters - David
  • Novel - Characters - Sarah
  • Novel - Theme

We don't have sub-notebooks, but you can organize tags into a hierarchy. This may allow you to set up the organizational scheme you're looking for.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1