2019 Calendar Templates Read more... ×
cswsteve

Nesting Multiple Notebooks / Creating Sub-Notebooks

Idea

4 hours ago, olek3a said:

Again? well, ok.

Put a little more precisely: in the interest of keeping different feature requests in the forums separate, so that they can be individually evaluated by Evernote folks and forum users, and since your request has nothing at all to do with the implementation of nestable notebooks, but instead, a different way to do tag searches (something that I agree with, btw), I'd say, yes, a separate request would be best. That's more or less in line from rule #8 from the Forum Code of Conduct:

8. Do not interrupt someone else’s thread in an attempt to change the topic or request support for a different issue. If you have a different issue, find the appropriate thread or create a new one for the issue you’re encountering.

That we're discussing it here is one thing, but if you want to make it a feature request is another. Your call...

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

The other choice would be Tags.  Notebook sort of sounds like Folder, but there are deficiencies.
It depends on your priorities
Good news is the limit was increased from 100 > 250 > 1,000 notebooks
 also, the notebook Stacks feature was implemented to aid in organization   

Great, they're obviously willing to update Notebooks, and since Notebooks are there too "aid in organization" we should be able to have more layers.

Some people use Notebooks, others tags, most use a combination of both, I don't see why Evernote would want to limit how people organize their stuff.

2 minutes ago, Kruger2147 said:

Great, they're obviously willing to update Notebooks, and since Notebooks are there too "aid in organization" we should be able to have more layers.

Um, apples and oranges. Degree of difficulty to allow more notebooks (maybe not much more than changing a constant in the API: http://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/Limits.html#Const_EDAM_BUSINESS_NOTEBOOKS_MAX?) is almost certainly less than that of implementing nested notebooks (architectural change, API changes, lots of UI changes across all Evernote platforms).

This is not an argument against adding nested folders, btw; just let's not conflate two separate development tasks with vastly different requirements.

1 hour ago, Kruger2147 said:

I don't see why Evernote would want to limit how people organize their stuff.

From what I can see, Evernote has provided multiple options of organizing our stuff; notebooks, tags, search, ....
We get to chose which feature best fits in with our requirements.

>>we should be able to have more layers
Hierarchy is important to me, and was a factor in my choice organizing solutions

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world:
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.

Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

•  

18 hours ago, jefito said:

Put a little more precisely: in the interest of keeping different feature requests in the forums separate, so that they can be individually evaluated by Evernote folks and forum users, and since your request has nothing at all to do with the implementation of nestable notebooks, but instead, a different way to do tag searches (something that I agree with, btw), I'd say, yes, a separate request would be best. 

I came across this thread while checking if my request for nested tag search would be a duplicate a couple of years ago and stuck in this holiwar. Actually I can't remember if I have submitted it then, because the forums structure is too complicated and is not obvious at all.

4 hours ago, olek3a said:

I came across this thread while checking if my request for nested tag search would be a duplicate a couple of years ago and stuck in this holiwar. Actually I can't remember if I have submitted it then, because the forums structure is too complicated and is not obvious at all.

Regarding search to include child tags

A request is posted at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/105440-search-tag-hierarchy/

• Like 1

On 8/17/2008 at 4:37 PM, engberg said:

We don't have sub-notebooks, but you can organize tags into a hierarchy.

Even the Evernote Blog has an article arguing for using Notebooks and Stacks as the main organizational method, and tags as a filtering/search supplement. Each has it's strengths, but the potential behind Stacks is being restrained. 

https://evernote.com/blog/stacey-harmon-michael-hyatt-wrong-organizing-evernote-tags/

24 minutes ago, Kruger2147 said:

Even the Evernote Blog has an article arguing for using Notebooks and Stacks as the main organizational method, and tags as a filtering/search supplement. Each has it's strengths, but the potential behind Stacks is being restrained. 

https://evernote.com/blog/stacey-harmon-michael-hyatt-wrong-organizing-evernote-tags/

Stacey says: (amongst many other good points)

Objection #2: “Notebooks can be stacked, but not nested. I need more organizational levels.”

We’ve all been trained (through email, and computer technology) that the right way to organize things is to use hierarchies that are many levels deep – but it’s not necessarily the best way.

If you’re using the search function correctly, it doesn’t matter if you can nest your notes and notebooks.

The power of my Evernote organization system is its flatness and flexibility. If you prep your notes for search success (note naming conventions are key here), it doesn’t matter where your notes live – you’ll be able to locate them.

Evernote's Spaces (https://evernote.com/features/spaces) is the closest they've got -so far- to nested hierarchies,  but the concept doesn't seem to be designed as hierarchical,  and is more aimed at multiple users and the Business client.  (My emphasis..)

"Every member of a space has access to everything in the space. So the information you need is easily accessible and always at your fingertips."

7 hours ago, Kruger2147 said:

Even the Evernote Blog has an article arguing for using Notebooks and Stacks as the main organizational method, and tags as a filtering/search supplement.  Each has it's strengths

You linked to a report presenting alternatives for organizing notes.
There are pro and cons, but full hierarchy is at the top of my requirements; as is the discussion we're posting in.

>>but the potential behind Stacks is being restrained. 

There is no "potential behind Stacks".
They exist as a comment in the notebook record and provide only a single level hierarchy
For a full hierarchy, you need the "nesting" being requested; technically parent-child relationship

3 hours ago, Kruger2147 said:

Note that the date of @engberg's post that you quoted is 2008, several years before stacks were added.

Not sure what potential behind stacks is being restrained; they operate as designed: a simple way to organize notebooks (because the notebook limit at that time, 100, is too many to manage in a flat list). If you're saying that you want them to be nestable, OK, but that's a large-ish architectural change that affets all Evernote clients, which Evernote hasn't seen fit to implement yet (if they even do at all). That being said, you probably wouldn't want stacks to be the nesting object; you'd want notebooks to be directly nestable.

7 hours ago, DonkeyKong said:

Call me OCD, but I want to see everything nicely placed within folders and folders and folders

You would need to  look at a different product for this; Evernote has never supported folders.

There's only two note organization options, Notebooks and Tags.

On 2018-03-25 at 8:03 AM, chrisalbertyn said:

I don't understand the reluctance to allow this improvement.

Welcome to the discussion.

Adding a notebook hierarchy requires an overhaul of the database design

Evernote seems reluctant to take on this workload.  Instead they implemented the Stack feature; which is only a 2 level hierarchy.

>>tags ... don't meet the need for sub-notebooks.

I'm not seeing proof of this, just that some users need the tags feature be called something different - like folders.  I think they would then find the feature more acceptable.

15 hours ago, MancChris said:

Simply put, I would find it very useful if Evernote could allow for a directory structure for organising notebooks and sub notebooks similar to how we can use folders and sub folders on Windows.

At present, Evernote only allows a two level hierarchy for Notebooks.  This is implemented by grouping notebooks into Stacks

Please add your vote to the request above.  Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion 

>>if I want to organise notes for writing a novel, I could call the main notebook 'Novel', and then have sub notebooks called 'characters', 'theme', etc.  Within 'Character'  I could then have sub-notebooks like 'David', 'Sarah', etc containing notes about those characters.

A work-around is to use a standard naming convention; for example

• Novel
  • Novel - Characters
  • Novel - Characters - David
  • Novel - Characters - Sarah
  • Novel - Theme

We don't have sub-notebooks, but you can organize tags into a hierarchy. This may allow you to set up the organizational scheme you're looking for.