cswsteve

Nesting Multiple Notebooks / Creating Sub-Notebooks

Idea

It's probably been mentioned here before,  so sorry if this old news but Evernote is widening the goalposts a bit with 'Spaces' -

ONLY available in Evernote Business Beta so far,  but with (they say) intentions to spread to other packages - and 'spaces' can contain notebooks,  notes,  pinned announcements... 

A lot of very general information is available via their post,  but it may be that this is Evernote's (partial?) answer to hierarchies.  Actual practical use unknown as yet until we all get a chance to play with the nuts and bolts of the operation,  and it sounds like a typical Evernote feature in that 'spaces' are open to be used in whatever way best suits your situation;  there's no (AFAICS) pre-defined structure.  Your spaces are what you make of them. 

Sorry that's vague - read the blurb and see what you think!

• Like 1

On 21.02.2018 at 5:58 AM, DTLow said:

>>if I want to organise notes for writing a novel, I could call the main notebook 'Novel', and then have sub notebooks called 'characters', 'theme', etc.  Within 'Character'  I could then have sub-notebooks like 'David', 'Sarah', etc containing notes about those characters.

A work-around is to use a standard naming convention; for example

This workaround makes the list of notebooks or tags look a bit too crouded and messy for me, i whould need another search engine to search through it.

I have tags 'Novel',  'David' and 'Sara' which are nested:

• Novel
    • David
    • Sara

And in windows app I can click on 'Novel' tag and list all notes with nested tag. My question is how I can search through all notes related to the Novel, i.e. tagged with 'Novel', 'David' or 'Sara' without adding tag 'Novell' to all 'David' and 'Sara' tagged notes too.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:07 AM, olek3a said:

My question is how I can search through all notes related to the Novel

Windows has a search-child-tags setting.  I'm not a Windows User, but I understand the setting is: Tools > Options > Note and checking "Automatically select child tags."

On a Mac, I can achieve this using a script for searches; set theTags to every tag whose parent is equal to parentTag

If you had prefixed the sub-tag names, you could use a wildcard; tag:Novel*
I prefer the prefix approach.  Tagname "David" sittling in the tag list isn't that useful

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2018 at 10:07 AM, olek3a said:

This workaround makes the list of notebooks or tags look a bit too crouded and messy for me, i whould need another search engine to search through it.

I have tags 'Novel',  'David' and 'Sara' which are nested:

• Novel
    • David
    • Sara

And in windows app I can click on 'Novel' tag and list all notes with nested tag. My question is how I can search through all notes related to the Novel, i.e. tagged with 'Novel', 'David' or 'Sara' without adding tag 'Novell' to all 'David' and 'Sara' tagged notes too.

You can do as @DTLow suggests and search tag:novel, or you can do an All Any search with the three tags.  This will return any note that contains one of the three tags.

EDIT:  Mistyped the parameter the first time.

Edited by CalS
Oops.

On 07.04.2018 at 10:03 PM, CalS said:

You can do as @DTLow suggests and search tag:novel, or you can do an All search with the three tags.  This will return any note that contains one of the three tags.

I wanted to avoid listing all three tags, because I have already specified that they are nested, and searching this way I will not be able to find notes having novel or any child or grand child tag and notification which is not complete. 

2 hours ago, olek3a said:

I wanted to avoid listing all three tags, because I have already specified that they are nested, and searching this way I will not be able to find notes having novel or any child or grand child tag and notification which is not complete. 

My bad on the first post, it should have been the Any parameter.  IAC, in windows.  You can check Automatically select child tags in Tools - Options - Navigation.  When you select a parent tag, at whichever level, this will search for any notes in the parent tag and any of its child tags.

I do not think that folders are blacklisted because of pride. But they are probably very very very hard to implement (based on the current internal data structure they use over many years and versions).

Within EN Business there are Spaces available - something between simple stacks and free folders. They help to maintain folder permissions (read/write access to specific team members). 

But: With EN Business they removed support of nested tags :-(
This is (in my opinion) because tags are managed outside the "normal" internal data structure and they didn't succeed to add management features for nested tags in admin console. Moreover there are global and user-local tags available that cannot be managed globally.

All in all: Their development is strictly limited because of compatibility reasons to older structures. In parallel they seem to loose experienced developers and are forced to offer nice features involved from marketing (sorry - another :-( )

Evernote (AFAIK) have never 'refused' to entertain any feature request.  They proceed at their own pace,  and some developments take much longer than others because they're not just adding a final detail to an overall picture - implementing one small additional step means a whole section of code has to be rewritten and upgraded to work across all supported operating systems,  then rolled out to 220M users who will be a little upset (see other threads here) if even the slightest detail goes wrong.

Individual developers have suggested that the web client is being upgraded with the new Spaces feature,  which seems to answer several frequent requests - 'pinnable' notes,  shareable notebooks stacks,  and variable notebook collections.  When all those things get rolled out,  it's possible that any argument here will become moot - Evernote will have dealt with this feature request along with several others.  But developing something new* takes time.

*And I know sub-folders aren't a new concept,  but they're new to Evernote...

20 hours ago, rocketguy said:

just letting the product team know that it is affecting your bottom line.

That may be the case,  but 1)  a new feature called Spaces is (allegedly) about to launch,  which may solve the issue,  and 2) at 220M users and counting,  I think Evernote was learning to cope without a folder structure,  at least until now...

6 hours ago, x9sim9 said:

Create virtually nested stacks ... is stored in the backend as a single stack with the string: Stack1 :: Stack 2 :: Stack 3

Name prefixing also works with Notebooks and Tags.  
It's not hard to do, and does simulate "nesting" but sometimes the names get overly large.
The best benefit is the names sort together in an alphabetic list, so as you posted, you get the effect even if the client app doesn't support hierarchy.

5 hours ago, x9sim9 said:

Just so you know there is a very simple way to implement this regardless of how the backend architecture of evernote was built, and would not effect backwards compatibility and would work easily across all platforms.

Create virtually nested stacks

Stack 1

-- Stack 2

-- -- Stack 3

is stored in the backend as a single stack with the string:

Stack1 :: Stack 2 :: Stack 3

older clients simply see this instead of nested stacks, and the newer clients see the stacks in a nested view

Its really not as hard as evernote seem to think it is...

I don't have any insight as to how hard Evernote thinks this is or not. Do you? I just know that historically they've not been interested in doing it, though that may change (there's a post elsewhere from an Evernote employee that claims that they are planning on adding nested notebooks; I'll try to find it and add the reference) .

You do need to use some sort of a user-enterable delimiter that doesn't conflict with existing usage, since ':, (as well as other punctuation characters) are already allowed in stack names. And likely some changes required to support stack searches as well (stack:MyStack).  Not very likely, but over 200 million users, definitely possible. Moreover, given nested stack trees A/B/C and 1/B/2, so is the stack 'B' the same one in both subtrees? Maybe that's not a problem. And search: if 'B' is a virtual stack as before, then a search string of "stack:B" should do..???

My take: stacks are already a hack (they're just a name attached to a notebook, and not separate entities). Your idea is clever, but it just compounds the hack, rather than Evernote just taking a big breath (and the development hit) and implementing nesting correctly.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 6:16 AM, Eldorado said:

I do not think that folders are blacklisted because of pride. But they are probably very very very hard to implement (based on the current internal data structure they use over many years and versions).

Unless you are an Evernote developer, or have access to inside design documents, I don't think any of us really know how hard, or how easy, it would be to add hierarchical Notebooks to the current Evernote architecture.  However, it is unlikely to be super hard because we see this design in many other products.  OTOH, it seems to be very hard for the Evernote developers to design and implement a solid, robust Note editor.  So, who knows???  Just my 2¢.

I am new to the community.

But I think People organize Hierarchial notes using TAGS rather than Notebook.

Use the Full Power of Tags if that solves your problem.

On 5/26/2018 at 4:12 PM, AlextheUnicat said:

There is no universal "right" way to take notes

For unlimited hierarchy, I can tell you Tags is the right way in Evernote.  It's the only element having the parent-child relationship; but only on the Mac/Win/Web platforms.

>>Hierarchy of notebooks/stacks should be a given.

Well, it's not a given in Evernote.  I'd suggest you should be reviewing a different service where it is a given.

On 5/26/2018 at 7:12 PM, AlextheUnicat said:

>the only thing keeping from using Evernote...would prefer to use Evernote....hours and hours of experimenting...have tried tag hierarchy...the genius behind applications like Workflowy and Todoist...frankly the posts that are like "I can't see why you could possibly need this" frustrate me.....pros and cons, but that all would change if Evernote had notebook hierarchy...

AlextheUnicat, you've articulated precisely what I'm saying.  Nailed it.  Thx!  

On 5/27/2018 at 12:12 AM, AlextheUnicat said:

the posts that are like "I can't see why you could possibly need this"

I don't think anyone has posted anything like that.  Some people seem wedded to hierarchical filing,  others are willing to adapt to tags.  Evernote -by their own choice so far- only does tags.  (Except - look at what 'Spaces' can do - that might be more your speed.)  If tags don't work for you,  it's possible you're using the wrong application. 

If anything the main argument here is like saying you love Pizza,  but you just wish they'd stop putting cheese and tomato on it because you hate the taste.  Best suggestion might be - stop buying pizza...

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2018 at 7:12 PM, AlextheUnicat said:

frankly the posts that are like "I can't see why you could possibly need this" frustrate me

Frankly, there are very few posts that say anything like this. Me, I'd say that since Evernote currently only supports flat notebook organization (flat-ish if you include stacks), then if you require arbitrarily nestable notebooks, then you're currently out of luck, and Evernote isn't the tool for you  Feature requests are of course valid and welcome. Elsewhere in the forums, we're hearing the occasional peeps that nestable notebooks (or some equivalent) might be in the offing, but if I were basing my decision on that, I'd wait until they actually appear, in non-beta form, across all the platforms that Evernote supports.

Why not just add folders?

On 6/23/2018 at 8:12 AM, tjw82 said:

Why not just add folders?

Evernote has never supported folders; only the notebook/tag methodology.

For me, this is a great improvement; I'll never go back to filing documents by folders.

On 6/25/2018 at 11:12 AM, DTLow said:

Evernote has never supported folders; only the notebook/tag methodology.

For me, this is a great improvement; I'll never go back to filing documents by folders.

Ok, but we already know that they don't support that. That is why we are coming here to request it as a feature.

It's ok that it works for you. Great. But I don't really understand why you are commenting in this thread. I don't think this is the thread for you.

Frankly your comments feel derailing and gaslight-y.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:01 PM, gazumped said:

I don't think anyone has posted anything like that.  Some people seem wedded to hierarchical filing,  others are willing to adapt to tags.  Evernote -by their own choice so far- only does tags.  (Except - look at what 'Spaces' can do - that might be more your speed.)  If tags don't work for you,  it's possible you're using the wrong application. 

If anything the main argument here is like saying you love Pizza,  but you just wish they'd stop putting cheese and tomato on it because you hate the taste.  Best suggestion might be - stop buying pizza...

It's more like we want pepperoni as an option on our pizza and evernote is not providing it. Some people are coming in and saying "we don't want pepperoni" even though they never never have to use pepperoni on their own pizza if they don't want and it literally affects them in no way whatsoever if other people have pepperoni on their pizzas.

10 minutes ago, AlextheUnicat said:

It's more like we want pepperoni as an option on our pizza and evernote is not providing it.

Wouldn't you just look for somewhere that had the options you wanted?  There's no guarantee that the first pizza place will ever get around to adding the magic ingredient...

..But with 200+ votes and 12 pages of discussion,  the point has been well made - some users do want more folders.  Up to Evernote to decide whether it's technically and cost-effectively possible to deliver.

4 hours ago, AlextheUnicat said:

That is why we are coming here to request it as a feature.

This request is for a Notebook hierarchy feature.
To indicate your support for the request, use the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.

>>But I don't really understand why you are commenting in this thread. I don't think this is the thread for you. 

You posted a question about adding Folders, I responded.

Take note that this thread is Notebook related, not Folders.
Are you sure this is the thread for you?

1 hour ago, DonkeyKong said:

THANK YOU!!!

Tags are just awful!
Call me OCD, but I want to see everything nicely placed within folders and folders and folders

I've been requesting this feature from Evernote for years now, but to no avail...

I've even given up resisting at one point and tried giving the tag method a fair go
I COMPLETELY reorganized my Evernote so as to reduce my dependence on folders and start implementing tags

But it's just awful

Again, call me OCD, but I can't stand seeing all my notes jumbled together in a single notebook
Using only tags to sort them out...

It can't be that difficult to implement this
Even if we could just do ONE "layer" of double stacks would be incredibly useful

Well, from a more technical standpoint, Evernote's "tags" is just a term that describes some vague functionality. Commonly tags are used as non-hierarchical organizational terms. In other words tags often have a flat structure. That's how I assumed Evernote worked. However as we all know Evernote is discreet with their hierarchical tag feature. In other words it mimics the common "folder" paradigm. You want folders within folders? Well, you can put tags within tags. Same thing.

I think that's where the confusion is. Tags function in the same way folders are expected to function. For example I have a tag called "Engineering" and it contains a sub-tag called "electronics". This is typically what we expect from folders. The problem, as I see it, is that it's not obvious how to create sub tags. It doesn't fit within any easy workflow. You have to click on the tag button and then view this large window full of tags in order to find what you need. You quickly end up with too many tags but Evernote encourages creating tags as though they are flat structured, descriptive terms. It's not visually organized either. So it's one of those Evernote features that suffers due to a poor user experience.

Here's how Evernote could fix it. Allow users to select tags in their notes AND place them as sub-tags in other tags while editing their note. Also if a user writes a tag that already contains sub-tags, the user should be able to click on it in order to view and select the proper sub-tag. I've attached one screenshot here with the tags "health" and "home". I am forced to write two separate tags. I want "health" to be a sub-tag of "home" but Evernote does not allow this in the Note editing window. THAT'S the problem. Once that UX matter is resolved you'll find that it's more intuitive to create organized sub-tags and the workflow will be easier. Once you get over the idea that they are "tags" and not "folders" the functionality will be all that matters.

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 11.53.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 11.55.33 AM.png

On 8/17/2008 at 3:37 PM, engberg said:

We don't have sub-notebooks, but you can organize tags into a hierarchy. This may allow you to set up the organizational scheme you're looking for.

The problem is the user experience. As soon as someone is writing a note, you require that all users use tags as though they are only flat structured. There is no way to write a tag and then write a sub-tag in the note writing window. You also can't write a tag and then select any of it's sub-tags. It's fine if the feature exists but there's no workflow that promotes the feature. So much so that I imagine most people don't know there are sub-tags.

Please consider allowing users to select sub-tags and create sub-tags directly in the note window itself.

21 minutes ago, estevancarlos said:

In other words it mimics the common "folder" paradigm. You want folders within folders? Well, you can put tags within tags. Same thing.

This works for me; however there are two exceptions:

1. A note can be assigned multiple tags, whereas a note be restricted to a single folder.
  2. Tag names have to be unique.  In a folder structure, the sub-folder names can be repeated

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

This works for me with one exception: A note can be assigned multiple tags, whereas a note be restricted to a single folder.

Good point. I personally don't mind the approach of a file being within multiple "folders" at once but yes that is one conceptual discrepancy.

36 minutes ago, estevancarlos said:

There is no way to write a tag and then write a sub-tag in the note writing window. You also can't write a tag and then select any of it's sub-tags. It's fine if the feature exists but there's no workflow that promotes the feature. So much so that I imagine most people don't know there are sub-tags.

Please consider allowing users to select sub-tags and create sub-tags directly in the note window itself.

Personally I don't rely on the Tag Hierarchy feature.1147808534_ScreenShot2018-07-11at12_36_48.png.420a83b62d3d81d37314ec5d55ff6c94.png
It's only available on select platforms, and in select menus.

I rely more on tag name prefixes
An example of my process is with my !Type tags.
When assigning tags to a note, I use !Type-aaaaaaaa

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Personally I don't rely on the Tag Hierarchy feature.1147808534_ScreenShot2018-07-11at12_36_48.png.420a83b62d3d81d37314ec5d55ff6c94.png
It's only available on select platforms, and in select menus.

I rely more on tag name prefixes
An example of my process is with my !Type tags.
When assigning tags to a note, I use !Type-aaaaaaaa

Sounds like an interesting approach but it still draws attention to the fact that Evernote has a broken "feature". However I will consider your approach. It's similar to how I write some code.

3 hours ago, estevancarlos said:

allowing users to select sub-tags

You can do this, all tags, parent and child, act the same when being added to a note.

create sub-tags directly in the note window itself

Semantical point here, you can create the child tag, it's just that you can't place it in the hierarchy.

36 minutes ago, CalS said:

You can do this, all tags, parent and child, act the same when being added to a note.

Semantical point here, you can create the child tag, it's just that you can't place it in the hierarchy.

Well, what I mean is that you can't select a sub-tag while being informed that the tag you've selected is a sub-tag. There is no visual indicator in the note window. And you should be able to create a sub-tag and place in hierarchy in the note window otherwise the experience encourages only the flat structure use of tags.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:24 PM, DTLow said:

On a Mac, I can achieved this using a script for searches; set theTags to every tag whose parent is equal to parentTag

@DTLow, sorry to refer to an old post, but how do you turn that list of tags into a search for Notes?

BTW, I don't thing that is equivalent to the EN Win feature of:

On 4/7/2018 at 12:24 PM, DTLow said:

Windows has a search-child-tags setting.  I'm not a Windows User, but I understand the setting is: Tools > Options > Note and checking "Automatically select child tags."

You tag list would only be the immediate child tags of the specified parent tag, and would NOT include any child tags of the first level child tags. 

But maybe I'm missing something.  Perhaps if you could share your complete script it would be clear.

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2018 at 4:39 PM, JMichaelTX said:

how do you turn that list of tags into a search for Notes?

I'm using Applescript on a Mac to retrieve a note list based on a search
The code is

tell application "Evernote"
     set query string of window 1 to searchQuery
     activate
end tell

So it's just a matter if composing variable  searchQuery 
For multiple tags, it would be      any:   tag:Tag1   tag:Tag2 ...

>>You tag list would only be the immediate child tags of the specified parent tag, and would NOT include any child tags of the first level child tags. 

Good point
I do have a handler performing a recursive search

Edited by DTLow
Tad code moved to new discusion

Well, what I mean is that you can't select a sub-tag while being informed that the tag you've selected is a sub-tag

True.

And you should be able to create a sub-tag and place in hierarchy in the note window otherwise the experience encourages only the flat structure use of tags.

Not sure about that, encouraging any type of behavior.  Maybe. but  it can be a use case thing.  I have nested tags but strictly for organization of the tags, not the notes.  The Parent tags are seldom used in Notes.  And I got to about 400 tags.  My base of 350 was in place after a couple of years and I only add a handful a year now.  So I'm perfectly comfortable opening up the left panel once in a blue moon and moving new tags to their parents.  Again, a use case thing.

3 hours ago, Shellah said:

I don't know which is more impressive

Thanks for the recognition.  I'm one of the group helping the userbase in these forums.  I've had much experience with computers as a programmer/developer and have been using Evernote from the beginning.  I started with Windows devices, then switched to Macs.  I'm retired so I have more time for helping and answering questions.

>>posting the same comments, over and over.  and over.  and over.

It does get repetitive as new users come on board asking the same questions.  I can understand if you don't wish to participate.

9 hours ago, x9sim9 said:

I think its clear at this point that someone within the Evernote organisation has simply refused to add this feature a long time ago and now its blacklisted.

It's clear that Evernote never implemented a hierarchy for the Notebook element.
The only element with a hierarchy is the Tag element (Mac/Win/Web)
I don't know about "blacklisting", but these are the basic building blocks of the Evernote database structure.

I'm able to work with these elements, regardless of the names.
Other users find this impossible; no real reason,  they simply don't like xxxxxx.  These people should think about using a different product that delivers what they like.
With over 200 million users, Evernote is not impacted by this negativity.

>>I don't like tags,

You don't have to "like" tags; and you don't have to use them.
I see the benefits offered by the tag feature, and make use of them.

>>...I like stacks, give the customers what they want...

Evernote implemented Stacks after customers needed a method to organize Notebooks
It looks like this will be replaced with the new Spaces feature.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 10:10 AM, grdd said:

I don't understand why after almost 10 years this has not been implemented yet. Also, I don't understand why workarounds such as tags are considered a good solution.

Is it that complicated to add more hierarchy levels to the structure?

THANK YOU!!!

Tags are just awful!
Call me OCD, but I want to see everything nicely placed within folders and folders and folders

I've been requesting this feature from Evernote for years now, but to no avail...

I've even given up resisting at one point and tried giving the tag method a fair go
I COMPLETELY reorganized my Evernote so as to reduce my dependence on folders and start implementing tags

But it's just awful

Again, call me OCD, but I can't stand seeing all my notes jumbled together in a single notebook
Using only tags to sort them out...

It can't be that difficult to implement this
Even if we could just do ONE "layer" of double stacks would be incredibly useful

7 hours ago, DonkeyKong said:

You would need to  look at a different product for this; Evernote has never supported folders.

There's only two note organization options, Notebooks and Tags.

On 2018-03-25 at 8:03 AM, chrisalbertyn said:

I don't understand the reluctance to allow this improvement.

Welcome to the discussion.

Adding a notebook hierarchy requires an overhaul of the database design

Evernote seems reluctant to take on this workload.  Instead they implemented the Stack feature; which is only a 2 level hierarchy.

>>tags ... don't meet the need for sub-notebooks.

I'm not seeing proof of this, just that some users need the tags feature be called something different - like folders.  I think they would then find the feature more acceptable.

15 hours ago, MancChris said:

Simply put, I would find it very useful if Evernote could allow for a directory structure for organising notebooks and sub notebooks similar to how we can use folders and sub folders on Windows.

At present, Evernote only allows a two level hierarchy for Notebooks.  This is implemented by grouping notebooks into Stacks

Please add your vote to the request above.  Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion 

>>if I want to organise notes for writing a novel, I could call the main notebook 'Novel', and then have sub notebooks called 'characters', 'theme', etc.  Within 'Character'  I could then have sub-notebooks like 'David', 'Sarah', etc containing notes about those characters.

A work-around is to use a standard naming convention; for example

• Novel
  • Novel - Characters
  • Novel - Characters - David
  • Novel - Characters - Sarah
  • Novel - Theme

We don't have sub-notebooks, but you can organize tags into a hierarchy. This may allow you to set up the organizational scheme you're looking for.