Nesting Multiple Notebooks / Creating Sub-Notebooks

cswsteve

Idea

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm 🍎 only.  I know the hierarchy is available but we need advice from a Windows person.

Just to answer this question,  here's a screenshot from my Windows database tag list after right-clicking the parent tag.

ScreenClip.png.931ed1a72cac5166ca5cd83bb69ad84a.png

I generally don't use hierarchies these days.  I'm getting back into tags.  Currently 45K notes in (mostly) one notebook and (AFAIK) I haven't lost anything yet... :crossed fingers:

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, D-Nick said:

I often see assertions in this thread that tags can be used as a replacement for the missing folders/sub-notebooks/sections feature, but I have not yet seen a concrete suggestion for how to do that.  Rather than having to keep repeating yourself, could you give a worked example of how this would work, please?

Folder/Notebook/Tag is just the name of a field.376970676_ScreenShot2018-12-26at15_05_40.png.2463583a003de7fd6f13f70710194de9.png.98b592212217bf31661e7b3d073247ce.png.516adfc4485c107750fcf12fe7869091.png
For notes, Evernote supports two fields; Notebooks and Tags

The example I posted was a screenshot from my Mac of the sidebar.  

The tree structure is available for notebooks and tags (only two levels for notebooks)
You drag-and-drop the entries to create the structure

On Macs, you have to work in the notebook/tag page.  
For Windows, you can work in the sidebar,

• Level 5*

This is what I am seeing on this Win 10 machine:1750161768_ScreenShot2019-02-06at07_52_54.png.bf3215e48d869da439f1cc6b27a7a7c8.png

I'm seeing a caret to the left of Notebooks.
Add some tags to notes and you'll see the same for Tags

Click on the caret to show the tree

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, D-Nick said:

I often see assertions in this thread that tags can be used as a replacement for the missing folders/sub-notebooks/sections feature, but I have not yet seen a concrete suggestion for how to do that.  Rather than having to keep repeating yourself, could you give a worked example of how this would work, please?

I think it would be better for you (and this topic) to pursue this sub-conversation in a new, separate forum topic, maybe here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/280-organization/. While it would be great for you to find a Evernote solution for organizing your notes, it's not particularly germane to the feature request, which is already way too long for it to be much benefit to anyone else in your situation. Just my 2 cents, though.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jefito said:

I think it would be better for you (and this topic) to pursue this sub-conversation in a new, separate forum topic, maybe here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/280-organization/. While it would be great for you to find a Evernote solution for organizing your notes, it's not particularly germane to the feature request, which is already way too long for it to be much benefit to anyone else in your situation. Just my 2 cents, though.

Is this not exactly what this thread is about?  I support the feature request, because I cannot see how else to do what I need to in Evernote.  People opposing the feature request say it isn't necessary, because it can all be done with a hierarchy of tags, but the concrete description of how to do that doesn't seem to have been provided.  If what I want can be done adeqautely with tags, I'll withdraw my support for this feature request.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, D-Nick said:

People opposing the feature request say it isn't necessary

That phrase is used a lot, however there is no "opposing" indicator, just arrows to indicate your support.

For users wanting organization hirearchy, there are solutions posted in the discussion.  For Notebooks, two  levels; for Tags, unlimited levels.

29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm seeing a caret to the left of Notebooks.
Add some tags to notes and you'll see the same for Tags

Click on the caret to show the tree

I do already have a bunch of tags.  I can show them by clicking the Tags item in thAre you sure this works in Windowse left panel, but no caret, no expansion, and I can't right click to create sub-tags.  

Evernote_screenshot_win10.PNG

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, D-Nick said:

Is this not exactly what this thread is about?  I support the feature request, because I cannot see how else to do what I need to in Evernote.  People opposing the feature request say it isn't necessary, because it can all be done with a hierarchy of tags, but the concrete description of how to do that doesn't seem to have been provided.  If what I want can be done adeqautely with tags, I'll withdraw my support for this feature request.

It's actually fine to support the request without needing it yourself. Beyond that, going though a lengthy discussion of your individual needs is hardly likely to sway Evernote one way or another (the purpose of feature requests), while it might make it easier to get better advice on how to proceed with your own use case rather than have it be wrapped up in this already too-long thread. No concrete discussion of how to proceed with tag use is provided because any solution is likely to be highly personal -- I've refrained from offering mine as it will almost certainly differ from someone else's. But it's your choice, and it was just a suggestion that I thought would help you to sort things out. Carry on...

• Level 5*

I am unclear on what you mean by "Shelf tag" containing values

This means a tag for each of what you refer to as shelves.  So a a tag called !ProfDEv, a tag called !Projects, as many tags as needed to represent your shelve concept.  The leading ! groups the shelf tags and makes it so that when you sort by tags these tags will be on the front.  Ditto for the grouping and sorting of the . and the _.Best not to have spaces in tags, so either put the words together or put a .or whatever.

I just don't get the tag:notebook.tag.name syntax - what is that doing?

Just using a variable tag .  If you had a course in Communications and created a tag named .Communications, then a search of tag:.Communications would return all notes with that tag.

Are you saying perhaps that the top levels of the hierarchy also contain all the notes that are further down the hierarchy?

Saying that if you search for tag preceded by an ! you will get all notes with that tag, and when sorted by tag the notes will display in the order of your "notebook" tags.  Less about hierarchy, more about grouping notes to area of focus, course/project, and subject within course/project if I rename your groupings a bit. 

• If I want to see the notes for the .Communication course a search for tag:.Communication will display them all. 
  • If I create a syllabus note for each course summarizing it and only tag it with a shelf and notebook tag (ProfDev and Communications for example), a search for tag:.* -tag:_* will return only syllabus notes.  Something you can't do with folders.
  • Ditto the above with a search for tag:!* -tag:_*, will provide a list of the syllabi for all ares of interest.  Or a search of tag:ProfDev -tag:_* will return all syllabus notes for ProfDev

Personally, I like to provide structure on the fly which tags enable, not so much where they are stored.  I have 4 notebooks of merit across 41k notes.  But it isn't for everyone.  The purpose of this exercise was to show you how one could set your use case up in EN.  Hey, if this is too painful, just don't do it or think about it.  Find the method that works best for you.  Good luck.

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That phrase is used a lot, however there is no "opposing" indicator, just arrows to indicate your support.

For users wanting organization hirearchy, there are solutions posted in the discussion.  For Notebooks, two  levels; for Tags, unlimited levels.

As I have said elsewhere in this thread, I have seen several times people saying that the folder hierarchy/nested notebooks/notebook sections functionality can be found by using tags, but I have not yet seen a concrete and understandable explanation of how to do that.  CalS took some steps towards that last night, but the arcane syntax of that solution has me bamboozled.  You have twice posted a screengrab from your Mac showing a tag hierarchy, but have offered no explanation of how to use this to provide (or simulate) the folder/nesting/sections notebooks functionality that is requested.  If after 10 years no-one is able to explain how using tags can meet this requirement, it is tempting to conclude that it isn't actually possible, so the feature request stands.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, D-Nick said:

I do already have a bunch of tags.  I can show them by clicking the Tags item in thAre you sure this works in Windowse left panel, but no caret, no expansion, and I can't right click to create sub-tags.  

Right click on the tag icon and un-check Show Tags View.  Though you can drag and drop from the tag view as well.

26 minutes ago, CalS said:

This means a tag for each of what you refer to as shelves.  So a a tag called !ProfDEv, a tag called !Projects, as many tags as needed to represent your shelve concept.  The leading ! groups the shelf tags and makes it so that when you sort by tags these tags will be on the front.  Ditto for the grouping and sorting of the . and the _.Best not to have spaces in tags, so either put the words together or put a .or whatever.

Just using a variable tag .  If you had a course in Communications and created a tag named .Communications, then a search of tag:.Communications would return all notes with that tag.

Saying that if you search for tag preceded by an ! you will get all notes with that tag, and when sorted by tag the notes will display in the order of your "notebook" tags.  Less about hierarchy, more about grouping notes to area of focus, course/project, and subject within course/project if I rename your groupings a bit. 

• If I want to see the notes for the .Communication course a search for tag:.Communication will display them all. 
  • If I create a syllabus note for each course summarizing it and only tag it with a shelf and notebook tag (ProfDev and Communications for example), a search for tag:.* -tag:_* will return only syllabus notes.  Something you can't do with folders.
  • Ditto the above with a search for tag:!* -tag:_*, will provide a list of the syllabi for all ares of interest.  Or a search of tag:ProfDev -tag:_* will return all syllabus notes for ProfDev

Personally, I like to provide structure on the fly which tags enable, not so much where they are stored.  I have 4 notebooks of merit across 41k notes.  But it isn't for everyone.  The purpose of this exercise was to show you how one could set your use case up in EN.  Hey, if this is too painful, just don't do it or think about it.  Find the method that works best for you.  Good luck.

Thanks.  I'll clear some time at the weekend to read through that properly and dig into this some more.  It does seem to have a very steep learning curve, compared with a simple folders/nesting model.  I started looking at this maybe 2 years ago, when I moved to a paid subscription, but have so far not been able to use Evernote for anything I wanted it for because I can't get this sorted.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CalS said:

Right click on the tag icon and un-check Show Tags View.  Though you can drag and drop from the tag view as well.

Sadly, no such item in the right menu here.  OOI, are you using Window or Mac?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, D-Nick said:

As I have said elsewhere in this thread, I have seen several times people saying that the folder hierarchy/nested notebooks/notebook sections functionality can be found by using tags, but I have not yet seen a concrete and understandable explanation of how to do that.

I'm not sure this will help, but I will try.  As an example, create three tags, Tag 1, tag a and tag b and you will see these three tags. 

1593192517_Tag1.jpg.ea03930a6f28c04ca015844f1840151e.jpg  

Now drag tab a and drop it on top of Tag 1 and drag tab b and drop it on top of Tag 1 and you should now see this.  tag a and tag b are now child tags to Tag 1 (similar to sub-folders).  Clicking the triangle next to Tag 1 will allow you to collapse and expand the tree.

Tag 2.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Now drag tab a and drop it on top of Tag 1 and drag tab b and drop it on top of Tag 1 and you should now see this.  tag a and tag b are now child tags to Tag 1 (similar to sub-folders).  Clicking the triangle next to Tag 1 will allow you to collapse and expand the tree.

Tag 2.jpg

Thanks, but that doesn't work here - I can't pick up and drag a tag.  It just selects the text on the screen.  In this screenshot, I tried to drag tag "Egypt 6 - W1" to "Coursera - GIS", but no dice.

evernote_tags_drag.PNG

• Level 5*

@D-Nick Hover over the Tag line and you will see a + and the search symbol.  Use that + to create the three tags I mention and then you should see the three tags in the left hand pane.  After that you don't need to click on Tags to get the tag list, instead do the drag and drop right from the left hand pane.

8 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

@D-Nick Hover over the Tag line and you will see a + and the search symbol.  Use that + to create the three tags I mention and then you should see the three tags in the left hand pane.  After that you don't need to click on Tags to get the tag list, instead do the drag and drop right from the left hand pane.

Your patience, persistence and politeness are much appreciated, but I'm afraid that doesn't work here.  Hovering over "Tags" in the LH doesn't give a + symbol.  I see the tags only in the RH pane.  The only place I can add tags is from a note.

But don't worry about this - I am confident that I can dig into Evernote and the documentation and find how to do this.  It's hhow to use them to give the multi-level folders that I amm struggling with.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, D-Nick said:

Hovering over "Tags" in the LH doesn't give a + symbol.

That is interesting.  Are you using the Windows client and not instead logging into Evernote from your web browser?

All my comments assume you are using the Windows client.  To check which version you have go to Help -> About -> and you will see the version you have.  For example, mine shows 6.17.6.8292

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

That is interesting.  Are you using the Windows client and not instead logging into Evernote from your web browser?

I am connecting to Evernote using Chrome, from Windows 10.  I'd not realised* there was another way in Windows.  Let me hunt around.  Thanks for spotting that.

* Or maybe I used to know, many years ago when I first started this saga, but had forgotten.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, D-Nick said:

I am connecting to Evernote using Chrome, from Windows 10.  I'd not realised there was another way in Windows.  Let me hunt around.  Thanks for spotting that.

Ok, that explains it.  The web version, how you are accessing Evernote, is currently a work in progress and not that feature rich.  Go to the Evernote site and download and install the Windows version.  Depending on how many notes you have it may take a little bit of time to download all of your notes but once it is up and running, the comments I and others have provided should now start making more sense.  🙂

27 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Ok, that explains it.  The web version, how you are accessing Evernote, is currently a work in progress and not that feature rich.  Go to the Evernote site and download and install the Windows version.  Depending on how many notes you have it may take a little bit of time to download all of your notes but once it is up and running, the comments I and others have provided should now start making more sense.  🙂

Yes, all your good help now makes a lot more sense - thank you very much.  I'll now see if I can work through the article by @JMichaelTX.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, D-Nick said:

Yes, all your good help now makes a lot more sense - thank you very much.  I'll now see if I can work through the article by @JMichaelTX.

Glad to help.  Keep in mind that article was written from a Mac perspective and the Mac and Windows clients differ in some ways so you might see some differences.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Glad to help.  Keep in mind that article was written from a Mac perspective and the Mac and Windows clients differ in some ways so you might see some differences.

Ta. I can't see that being a problem - I can poke around and find the Windows equivalents, as long as the model/principles are the same. It's the concept of how to use these damned tags to simulate simple folders that is beating me at the moment, and if these guys has actually done it (rather than the others just asserting that tags is all that's needed, with no backup), that's what I need to see.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, D-Nick said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  That makes the notes (=sections) quite a lot bigger than I would like them to be (courses typically have a collection of different items within a section, such a lecture notes, my own reading, exercises, etc), but if this is the only way it can work, at least it *can* work and be browsable, unlike these really complicated and enthusiast-only tagging techniques.

So, are you not using tags at all?  Or just using them for secondary searching?

I don't use tag's much for things like non-fiction books, as the different chapters are their own subjects the note title is enough of a description for me. I'll do a few generic tags, but I don't go crazy.

The only tags I use for school is the class name. Then each note is titled for the topic, eg, Wk1 Discussion board, Wk2 Defining Project Scope, Wk3 HW Project Charter etc. Search is really easy, I select the one tag for my class, and all of my notes pop up, then I can search within that class.

489923241_Screenshot2019-02-11at5_04_33PM.png.04721044c5d2d46f10eb0d5ffc1e32be.png 907971322_Screenshot2019-02-11at5_15_52PM.png.1767a0d50f8c32c7026d0bbde6958d2a.png

The only thing I go tag heavy on is articles that I've saved in a dedicated archive notebook. I use an asterisk * instead of star or favorite, and subject(s) for example:

525885308_Screenshot2019-02-11at5_12_31PM.png.ba6aa9308065c418722e0dcdec30cafb.png

Hello i am new to evernote and still trying set everything up.  Ive read and watch several videos and still can not get stacking to work., drag and drop does not work.  FYi  there is nothing popping up on the left or anywhere that will allow me to stack anything.  Could really use some ideas.  Thank you. m For now everything I want in one stack i have started with the same name - not liking it to much, to busy.

• Level 5*
On 3/11/2019 at 1:59 PM, meredithmorin said:

Hello i am new to evernote and still trying set everything up.  Ive read and watch several videos and still can not get stacking to work., drag and drop does not work.  FYi  there is nothing popping up on the left or anywhere that will allow me to stack anything.  Could really use some ideas.  

You'll get more specific directions if you identify your device/platform

I use a Mac and work in the Notebook page259693257_ScreenShot2019-03-13at12_19_29.png.d4cf87e8e1417cae4cdf3fc6d04515cd.png

Drag and drop works, or I can right-click on a notebook

• Level 5*
On 3/11/2019 at 4:59 PM, meredithmorin said:

Hello i am new to evernote and still trying set everything up.  Ive read and watch several videos and still can not get stacking to work., drag and drop does not work.  FYi  there is nothing popping up on the left or anywhere that will allow me to stack anything.  Could really use some ideas.  Thank you. m For now everything I want in one stack i have started with the same name - not liking it to much, to busy.

You are posting in a feature request for nested notebooks. If you want help on operating Evernote, then you'll find people waiting to do it, but you are far better off posting in an appropriate forum for that. I'd suggest starting here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/53-evernote-general-discussions/. If you want, one of the moderators can move your post there (I think).

Well, it seems that evernote is forcing users to use the tags
because the most logical way is to just use sub-folders (of stacks)
*If you started with folders and stacks, why tha ***** do you need tags anyway?!

I'm gonna try it, but i'm not really doing this because I want to, I'm doing this because I'm being forced to... (I really need a 3+ hierarchy stacks of notes now)
If this becomes a bummer i'm leaving evernote (specially the process: I have 50+ folders right now and hundreds of notes...)

I may (or not) comeback and give a feedback of this

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, LeoMPe said:

why tha ***** do you need tags anyway?!

I use Tags (400+) because my notes have multiple reference categories
Notebooks have a purpose, related to private/shared, sync'd/local, offline, dafault

>>the most logical way is to just use sub-folders (of stacks) ... I have 50+ folders right now

Evernote has never supported folders; only the two note fields Notebooks and Tags

As you noted, Tags are supported with an unlimited parent/child hierarchy (on selected platforms).  
There is a request to add the same hierarchy to Notebooks.
You can indicate your support using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion

Also see this post for simulated folders using the notebook/tag tree in the sidebar.  This handles 3+ levels

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, LeoMPe said:

Well, it seems that evernote is forcing users to use the tags
because the most logical way is to just use sub-folders (of stacks)
*If you started with folders and stacks, why tha ***** do you need tags anyway?!

Nobody's forcing you to do anything, but if you want to use Evernote, you have to figure out how to organize your notes using notebooks (non-nestable), stacks (which can only hold notebooks) and tags (nestable).

There are many way to approach using tags. A lot depends on what you're trying to do.

That being said, Evernote are aware of the desire for nested notebooks. You might be interested in the following.

thanks for the replies (I already voted!) I'm gonna check the links too, thanks.

But my point is: For the past 3/4 years I've been using evernote without tags, I was doing great without it... no complains at all.
Why wasnt I using tags? well, notebook + notes + stacks is just like a simple folder (windows/mac) and it's ok, very intuitive. 
But hey, here I am now: You can't past 2 levels of hierarchy with this simple intuitive method and now you have to tag ALL the notes and restructure 4 years of evernote usage into tags!!! JUST TO USE A 3+ LEVEL HIERARCHY AND NOTHING MORE THAN IT (in my case)

Anyway, I'm gonna have to stop everything now and try to solve this. MAJOR THUMBS DOWN. And since I'm a premium user and pay for it I am now considering to move to another software because I'm kinda pissed about having to stop everything and restructure the whole thing because evernote is not considering doing ***** about this 10 years old thread.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, LeoMPe said:

I'm kinda pissed about having to stop everything and restructure the whole thing because evernote is not considering doing ***** about this 10 years old thread.

So let's see -- you've had 10 years to figure things out, knowing about the Evernote architecture which has barely changed in all that time (they added stacks), and your're pissed at them???

Oh, and had you read what I linked to, Evernote *are* indeed "considering" adding nested hierarchies. They're just not able to do it currently. And no promises there, either, but "considering" is not synonymous with "implementing".

You should consider asking for help in your restructuring effort. There are folks here who will gladly help.

23 minutes ago, jefito said:

So let's see -- you've had 10 years to figure things out, knowing about the Evernote architecture which has barely changed in all that time (they added stacks), and your're pissed at them???

Oh, and had you read what I linked to, Evernote *are* indeed "considering" adding nested hierarchies. They're just not able to do it currently. And no promises there, either, but "considering" is not synonymous with "implementing".

You should consider asking for help in your restructuring effort. There are folks here who will gladly help.

Actually, I wasn't aware about the limitation of the "1 stack only".
I just thought (this whole f*** time) that you could have stacks under stacks! It felt intuitive to think this way"Well, here is the stack option! I can place as many notebooks under this stack!... So it probably can have another stack inside! Ok, cool!" Why would I(anyone) thought that it actually can't have a stack inside another stack?!  People just figures it out until they try to place a stack under another stack. But hopefully, they will try it early on, and just move it to the Tags, early on. But not me, I never had this necessity... until now, 4 years later.

The link you post is just a company telling excuses to the users that they won't do it. I think they want it to be tagged for some reason.
Well, I have no option here. I'll figure out the tags or just take this unfortunately opportunity to look at other softwares... why not.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, LeoMPe said:

Why would I(anyone) thought that it actually can't have a stack inside another stack?!  People just figures it out until they try to place a stack under another stack.

This discussion is for notebooks hierarchy; Nesting Multiple Notebooks / Creating Sub-Notebooks

You might want to post in the discussion below

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, LeoMPe said:

"Stacks within stacks" is actually a notebook hierarchy...

Well, actually it would be a stack hierarchy, because stacks aren't notebooks. That being said, nesting stacks would probably be closer in spirit to the common folder/file tree metaphor,. 

In any case, you might look at the following to see how you might approach using tags to organize: 

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, LeoMPe said:

I'll figure out the tags or just take this unfortunately opportunity to look at other softwares... why not.

Hi.  If all you're looking for is a 'third' level of hierarchy,  then (unless I misunderstood the conversation so far - which is about a 50/50 possibility with me...) it should be fairly easy to set up with Stacks,  Notebooks and Tags. 

Use the tags for either the first,  or the last step in your hierarchy.  Got stacks that  split Work vs Personal?  Use tags instead.  Got a prospective 3rd level that adds Quotes and Invoices for each project under the Work stack?  Use tags for them instead.  I'll assume you have the 1st and 2nd layers in place already though,  so I'll assume the last layer in the hierarchy is the one you need set up.

If you want to see all the outstanding quotes for a given project,  go to its notebook and search tag:quotes.  Your 'virtual' Quotes notebook will be listed there on your screen.

Actually,  there's a way to have this third (virtual) notebook list updated automatically and have it instantly available - use Filterize to create a Table of Contents listing for all 'quotes' notes.  As you add the tag to a note,  it will be added to the list.  If you change the tag to 'invoice' it can be added to a different list.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:50 PM, LeoMPe said:

thanks for the replies (I already voted!) I'm gonna check the links too, thanks.

But my point is: For the past 3/4 years I've been using evernote without tags, I was doing great without it... no complains at all.
Why wasnt I using tags? well, notebook + notes + stacks is just like a simple folder (windows/mac) and it's ok, very intuitive. 
But hey, here I am now: You can't past 2 levels of hierarchy with this simple intuitive method and now you have to tag ALL the notes and restructure 4 years of evernote usage into tags!!! JUST TO USE A 3+ LEVEL HIERARCHY AND NOTHING MORE THAN IT (in my case)

Anyway, I'm gonna have to stop everything now and try to solve this. MAJOR THUMBS DOWN. And since I'm a premium user and pay for it I am now considering to move to another software because I'm kinda pissed about having to stop everything and restructure the whole thing because evernote is not considering doing ***** about this 10 years old thread.

Yeah I strongly suggest you to give a look into Notion.so. 

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, raphaelaguiar said:

@LeoMPe is asking for nested Stacks.

Does Notion have nested Stacks, or Notebooks?

34 minutes ago, DTLow said:

@LeoMPe is asking for nested Stacks.

Does Notion have nested Stacks, or Notebooks?

Yes. You can nest pages any depth you want.

You end up building your personal wiki. A website built in the way your mind works.

Well, the only way to do what I want was to emulate folders using tags... and nope.. not doing it.

1 hour ago, raphaelaguiar said:

*maybe this is a coincidence (or I guess Notion is just becoming real stronger), but all of this situation made me want to check others softwares and Notion really got my attention! (the only one thou) 

34 minutes ago, raphaelaguiar said:

Yes. You can nest pages any depth you want.

You end up building your personal wiki. A website built in the way your mind works.

So true!
Since yesterday I'm really digging it, AND A LOT.  I don't know if it suit everybody, but for me: That's pretty much it!
Notion is also like evernote and tellus combined. To have some boards/dynamic-tables here and there, to have really nice easy layouts and infinite folders/subfolders is just what I want.
I'm considering leaving evernote for good. *I kinda already started to move on tbh... but I'm not gonna hurry. Let's see what these firsts days will be like.

I've enjoyed using Evernote but I'm a really organized person and it's been hard to do so with the current capability that Evernote offers. Currently you can have one level of stacked notebooks but you can't keep adding other levels. For example I can create a notebook named education and stack notebooks:

• Education
    • College
    • Education Program 1
    • Education Program 2

That's what you can currently do but I need to be able to expand on that.

• Education
    • College
      • Fall Semester
        • MAT 110
          • Week 1
          • Week 2
        • ENG 201
        • PS 101
        • ART 101
    • Education Program 1
      • Laws
        • Laws A
        • Laws B
      • Contracts
        • Bi-Lateral

To have the ability to create notebooks (not just notes) within a notebook then one truly has the ability to organize their notes however better suites them to find information they're taken down. This feature will greatly improve Evernote and customer satisfaction.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, AG1524 said:

I've enjoyed using Evernote but I'm a really organized person and it's been hard to do so with the current capability that Evernote offers.

Evernote supports two note fields for note organization; Notebooks and Tags752700305_ScreenShot2019-05-09at21_39_15.png.c6c25ec4468da6a1187c597fabada8ca.png

Notebook/Tag trees can be displayed in the sidebar on the windows/mac platforms

Notebooks are limited to two levels, but Tags have an unlimited hierarchy; your sample hierarchy can be stored.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, mastix said:

Nesting, Nesting, Nesting ..... Why is it so difficult to implement this feature 

1298148589_ScreenShot2019-05-12at10_08_48.png.8ba2aa32e8d9aea11044383b002f53ee.png"Nesting" is a useful feature
I have no preference to naming; Labels/Folders/Notebooks/Tags works for me.

Evernote implemented "nesting" long ago; unlimited levels.
Check out the Tags feature.

>> people want a more visual approach

The screenshot is from my Mac and shows the Tag Tree in the sidebar

Yes Nesting is possible but only 2 levels deep and the appearance of my left bar is after many years very looong now why because I can only create 2 levels deep. I dont see those "unlimited levels" unless there is some hidden feature you have to activate and I am not aware of.

The Tag Tree is precisely what I am talking about....not very visual I would say , a list of text.........when that list is long it is really easy to get lost. The saying an image is worth........ is more alive than ever but somehow Evernote sadly is not evolving in this direction.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, mastix said:

Why is it so difficult to implement this feature when so many people ask for it. 2 levels is just NOT enough.

A prior post indicated that it may be a current architecture limitation.  A more recent post indicates they may be rethinking this.  No idea if we will ever see a change, but until then, many use tags as a work around.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, mastix said:

The Tag Tree is precisely what I am talking about....not very visual I would say

Do you have a better visual presentation?  I've been looking at mind mapping.

Also,  I find Evernote's "nesting" is limiting; single parents.  I prefer relational; multiple parents.

Yes i use tags and it is great to search for notes but sometimes I don't have a clear idea what  I am searching for and having some notes in particular folders makes me remember a piece of information I would have been forgotten. Tags is many times very useful but not always. Also seeing all notes inside a folder gives you a perfect view of the dimension of it. 

Sometimes you forget to tag but having a piece of info inside a parent folder is an invaluable safe system so that the it does not get lost in chaos.....

if 2 levels have been possible don't see why 5,6 or 100 are not possible. It is really weird that they cannot give this demanded option to their users. 

I love all the capture options of Evernote , the simplicity to use, to share, to tag ,etc but this limitations is really frustrating me on an on.....

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Do you have a better visual presentation?  I've been looking at mind mapping.

I also find Evernote's "nesting" is limiting; single parents.  I prefer relational; multiple parents.

I think that a adding an image or icon to the left list would make locating what you are looking for much faster that text.

Yes multiple parents is what I use as a workaround to the two level limit, no other way out. I get that some people might like the option to multiple parents but there is a huge number (me included) that prefer 1 parent with multiple levels inside, it cannot be so difficult to give their users the freedom to choose what is the more comfortable way to organize your info. The brain of every person likes to structure things in a particular way and I think over the years the scream to multiple nesting levels has grown louder and louder. But still here we are.....

• Level 5*
On 5/12/2019 at 6:39 PM, mastix said:

it cannot be so difficult to give their users the freedom to choose what is the more comfortable way to organize your info. The brain of every person likes to structure things in a particular way and I think over the years the scream to multiple nesting levels has grown louder and louder. But still here we are.....

I find it pretty comfortable to tag my notes rather than 'filing' them into a hierarchy - and my brain certainly isn't 'screaming' anything about multiple nesting levels.  Evernote is aware that some users would like to have nested folders, and -maybe- at some stage it will implement this.  Meantime what you have here is a hammer.  If you wish to drive screws,  please choose a different tool.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Meantime what you have here is a hammer.  If you wish to drive screws,  please choose a different tool.

Or switch from screws to nails. 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you wish to drive screws,  please choose a different tool.

Oh, you surely can drive screws with a hammer. Not recommended, but at least possible. This, I suppose, is roughly analogous  to using tags to structure your notes hierarchically (you can do it, but tag names must be unique, which is an awkwardness not found in file systems)

But good luck trying to drive a nail with a screwdriver...Which, I also suppose, is akin to trying to emulate tags using a hierarchical folder system...

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Lessons to live by.  Give a someone a straight answer,  and they know where they stand.  Give some people an aphorism and they'll milk it for ever.  Apologies for apparently disrupting this thread with the funny section...   <_<

• Like 2

Where do we vote on this?

And what is a good alternative to Evernote that DOES allow a decent / additional levels directory hierarchy.

+1 level would be great. +2 levels would be awesome! No change = look for an alternative as it's becoming a pain in the derriere. 

Cheers,

Iain

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, IainBev said:

And what is a good alternative to Evernote that DOES allow a decent / additional levels directory hierarchy.

+1 level would be great. +2 levels would be awesome! No change = look for an alternative as it's becoming a pain in the derriere. 

Cheers,

Iain

Hi.  At the very top left of this page you should see a number:  currently 350 for me.  Click the up-arrow above it to add your vote.  Evernote has been sharing videos of changes in progress to the various clients*,  so you may get lucky soon.  Meantime if you really want to switch,  Notion or OneNote seem to be the options of choice. 

* See >

• Level 5*

Mac/Windows OS allow unlimited levels of directory hierarchy. 

Personally I stick with Evernote, and use the Tags field for unlimited hierarchy

• Level 5*

Ask the Internet for Evernote alternatives. All have different approaches/architectures; only you can tell which ones suit you.

Cheers,

Iain

I had to move to Nimbus Note to get this feature, its an evernote clone built purely based on user feedback and feature requests, wish evernote was built the same way 😞

• Level 5

If you are happy with Nimbus, you did the right thing for yourself.

The organisation concept of EN is to build the logical structure of the notes with tags. The result is not a tree, but a net, which is way more flexible, linking notes of all types together, with multiple links. Finding information is driven by search.

But a I say: If you want to create a one-way, tree type structure in which you force your information, go to another place (or create it by nested tags in EN, which is easily possible- but does not unlock the real power behind tags).

Thanks to all who responded to me questions.

What the EV team and PinkElephant fail to grasp is that when you are moving quickly you want to grab something and drop it somewhere logical. 

e.g. Work / Energy / Storage / Flow

or. Work / Clients / Company Name / research topic 

I (and it seems many others) do not want to take time to add tags - we want to file it logically and go.

This is an extremely familiar process to most - why try and force them to do things another way? I don't get it. 

Also... I have a lot of existing notebooks - so something of a task to re-visit and tag them all. No time for that.

Please explain WHY Evernote cant / refuse to make this simple development?

Looking into alternatives now - voting with wallet. Nimbus sounds good. 

Shame - I like Evernote - but it's limitations in this regard are becoming a pain in the derriere - and the developers point blank refusal to address this with anything other than 'use tags' is starting to irk. 

Best regards,

Iain

• Level 5

Each one has it's own approach - this said before saying other things.

A technical issue first: The EN database is build in a way that enforces each note to be in one and only one notebook. To change this would mean to rewrite the whole thing, set up a new server structure, migrate all user databases (local and central) etc. Tags are already set up in the way you find it, with complete flexibility. So if you feel you must create a deep, treetype notebook structure and file away into this, you should probably move somewhere else. 

Now why this is not necessary, if you look a little bit deeper into ways to organize information:

Notebooks in EN have very limited logical function. They are more like a large container than a filigreed filing structure. They are used to control things like being shared, being local, being offline etc. And you can control search easily, by first selecting a notebook and then entering a search string, or search for a tag in the selected notebook only.

Tags are used to make searching easier, and to give a logical structure. This structure is not tree-type, it is a net. 

• If you search for "2018", you will find everything tagged 2018
  • If you search "invoices", you will find all docs tagged invoices
  • If you search for both, you will find all invoices from 2018.
  • If you want to search for all invoices from 2015 to 2018 containing the ZIP-Code 12345, it is easy to do this as well (ZIP as text search)

If you set up a tree structure (nested folders / notebooks), one of the 2 initial searches above is easy, the other is not. The combined search maybe is easy, for example if you file 1st "Invoices", and below this "Years". It is hard if your tree is "Invoices" - "Suppliers by Name", or other.

With tags, it is always easy. And you can search for initially unrelated tags as well, the search will create the relation.

Tagging is an effort if you have a lot of notebooks. First you have to think about the right notebook, then about the tags. It is no effort if you have few notebooks, and do the main filing work by tagging. Tagging is easy, because you do not have to decide about "Putting it here, putting it there" - just apply all tag wanted, and be done. And tags make it easy to avoid duplicates, because you do not need duplicates. Adding a new tag creates a duplicate by logic, while still needing just one note.

Probably you do not want to make the step, because you have invested a lot into your notebook structure. I have been there some time ago as well. Then I realized that this is not the best way to set it up, it was just like that because I came from the traditional folder-tree Windows forces on us.

In fact it is pretty easy to reorganize: Use one of the desktop clients (Win or Mac). First select all notes in one notebook, and mass-apply the notebook-name as a tag. Or apply 2 or more tags, that combined make up the notebook name. Then move all the notes into the new "container-type" notebook. Even with a lot of notebooks and notes, this can be done with little time spend to reorganize. You will find everything you had in the notebooks structure now in the tag list. The tags can be nested (however it will not show on the mobile clients yet, EN is working on this).

This is the way I would set it up, and have done so for my data. Do what you think is right for you, but do not expect software that was designed differently to follow this. As I say - maybe switch to another tool.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, IainBev said:

I (and it seems many others) ...

I (and it seems many others) do not want to take time to file in folders/subfolder/subfolder/... - we want to file it and go

>>Companies who don't listen to their users [ or worse... lecture them! ] are unlikely to do well.

Evernote has over 200 million user accounts

Have you heard the story about Henry Ford not listening to his clients - they wanted faster horses

>>Looking into alternatives now

Good plan.  In fact, if you need folders why did you chose the Evernote product in the first place

It's like a person choosing a hammer and complaining how terrible it is with screws
Use a screwdriver

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, IainBev said:

Companies who don't listen to their users [ or worse... lecture them! ] are unlikely to do well.

You should bear in mind that people like @PinkElephant, @DTLow, and myself are not Evernote employees, nor are we compensated for being present in the forums. We're just Evernote users with opinions, like everyone else. Evernote employees are clearly marked as such, and do not lecture their users. They may in fact, sympathize with their users on many issues, but large architectural changes are not taken lightly, and Evernote has not chosen to take this particular direction. Despite that, Evernote is, by a number of measures, "doing well", no matter how unlikely that may seem. That being said, there are any number of competing products out there that may suit your needs better. If Nimbus Note, Notion, Bear, etc. turns out to be the one for you, nobody here would feel bad about it. We all deserve tools that work well for what we need; Evernote fills that bill for a lot of people, but it's not the only tool in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
47 minutes ago, IainBev said:

Companies who don't listen to their users [ or worse... lecture them! ] are unlikely to do well. 

I use one more step with email and it works well for me - finding anything is easy. You can order by date. Outlook lets us search any search string for any directory tree [your Zip Code example].

I learned a long time ago that if you give the  same task/objective to different talented people thy often approach it differently. Even their use of software and tool preference is likely different. There is no right way, and rarely an 'only way'. Flexibility empowers people.

So many of your users have explained this, endlessly. Clearly you are not listening. 

You should be enabling users, not lecturing them.

Your approach however is to say … actually, doing that our side is hard - so you all adapt your working habits to us. 

Poorly done Pink Elephant. 

@IainBev Just one comment: Not reflecting the respect I showed to your posting.

And a German proverb, about EN listening or not: „Everybodies darling is everybodies fool“.

Have a nice day !

On 12/27/2012 at 4:13 PM, jefito said:

Nobody said that it isn't a legitimate action. However, you need to be prepared for it to take some time before they deliver such a feature (and they may never do so), and put up with a product that doesn't do what you want in the meantime. So in the here and now, you pretty much have only two practical choices.

Yeah, that's a super useful mentality. 🙄

Plus 3,030,301 for nesting, the entire world revolves around nested file systems and evernote just ignores it. Will not cry but say I told you so when this company eventually goes BK and people 10 years later reminisce  about "do you remember that program evernote? yeah, I do, was pretty good, but man they were ridiculous about lacking simple features like nested file structures, whatever happened to them?"

On 2/20/2018 at 6:58 PM, DTLow said:

A work-around is to use a standard naming convention; for example

• Novel
  • Novel - Characters
  • Novel - Characters - David
  • Novel - Characters - Sarah
  • Novel - Theme

Yep like it's 1997 again. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mikefinleyco said:

Will not cry but say I told you so when this company eventually goes BK and people 10 years later reminisce  about "do you remember that program evernote? yeah, I do, was pretty good, but man they were ridiculous about lacking simple features like nested file structures, whatever happened to them?"

Uh-huh, sure. People have been saying this sort of thing for the 10 years this request has been around.

Yeah, that's a super useful mentality. 🙄

It's a perfectly good and useful mentality, as it relates to practicality. If the tool you have doesn't do what you want/need it to do, then you should seek another tool, rather than wait around for it to magically grow the capability you require.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, mikefinleyco said:

the entire world revolves around nested file systems and ...

Evernote revolves around notes and notebook/tags fields in the note metadata

It works for me for the past 10 years

edit: Of course I'm an Evernote fan.  If not, I would be using a different service

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jefito said:

Uh-huh, sure. People have been saying this sort of thing for the 10 years this request has been around.

It's a perfectly good and useful mentality, as it relates to practicality. If the tool you have doesn't do what you want/need it to do, then you should seek another tool, rather than wait around for it to magically grow the capability you require.

Was actually hoping for some replies by real people, not fan boys. Everybody already knows what your replies are going to be before you type them...

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, mikefinleyco said:

Was actually hoping for some replies by real people, not fan boys. Everybody already knows what your replies are going to be before you type them...

<Sigh> So.  Evernote Forum 101:  Evernote (whom I assume you mean by "real people") tend not to respond to individual queries here in this User Forum,  so what you tend to get is responses from actual current users who are using Evernote despite the crippling restriction of a couple of levels of nested folder.  We don't actually find that is a major handicap.  If you do find that this app doesn't do what you need it to do,  maybe you should be looking somewhere else?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, mikefinleyco said:

800658613_download2.jpg.1b52b0d658817d6332dc6034c3e71a5a.jpg

• Level 5*

Ooh, you went there, and pulled out the "fan-boy" blah-blah. Yawn.

Anyways, you really are getting real answers from real people who just happened to have used Evernote for a long time, and have found it works for us. The approach I laid out (use a tool for what it's good for) applies to many other things than Evernote; it's actually good advice. As it happens, Evernote works well for me, and I've never spent a second wishing for nested notebooks. But other folks have, and have validly asked for them; it's all understandable, and if they're not getting it here, there is a horde of other alternatives that may work better for them. It's no skin off my nose: they *should* use tools that work for them. More power to them.

And hey, I make suggestions, too,  which haven't been implemented, and I haven't found that it bothered me all that much. The reasons that Evernote appealed to me are still valid.

For other real people who have actual problems with using Evernote, the so-called "fan-boys" are around to help them out, so I'll leave things at that. 

Unfortunately all you get in this forum are fan boys, they are right we are wrong, thats Evernote in a nutshell. I left en for nimbus note a long while ago but unfortunately still have to use en for all my scanned documents. Trust me its not worth wasting your breath here, no one at en cares...

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, x9sim9 said:

no one at en cares...

It's worth noting that this being a -mainly- user-supported forum,  none of us "fan boys" are actually 'at' Evernote,  and subscribers can always use the Support system to contact Evernote directly with feedback and chat,  if necessary with support staff to get their point,  or requests across....

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

<Sigh> So.  Evernote Forum 101:  Evernote (whom I assume you mean by "real people") tend not to respond to individual queries here in this User Forum,  so what you tend to get is responses from actual current users who are using Evernote despite the crippling restriction of a couple of levels of nested folder.  We don't actually find that is a major handicap.  If you do find that this app doesn't do what you need it to do,  maybe you should be looking somewhere else?

What a brilliant response. Why do you even reply? This thread and forum is about improving moving forward not jerks running users off with "maybe you should be looking somewhere else". When you run out of intelligent responses that add to the solution you can just not reply and move on because "if it's not for you..." is about as juvenile a response as you can make, it demonstrates you're out of ideas to contribute so do us all a favor and don't troll treads where people are looking for positive change with your negative infantile responses that you've made 200 times before, its boring.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, mikefinleyco said:

This thread and forum is about improving moving forward

That's BS
This thread has degenerated into users posting BOOHOO, Evernote's so bad

>>If it is why does it bother you? 

This clutters up my use of the forum; learning to better use the Evernote product, and to help other users

>>How about the ultimate uncluttering for you, ignore this thread.

I participate in all the discussions.  It's an opportunity to learn, and assist users.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story. 
Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

That's BS
This thread is users posting BOOHOO, Evernote's so bad

If it is why does it bother you? Bit too much fanboy? What do you care if it is or isn't? You're the self-appointed protector of evernote?

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, mikefinleyco said:

What a brilliant response. Why do you even reply? This thread and forum is about improving moving forward not jerks running users off with "maybe you should be looking somewhere else". When you run out of intelligent responses that add to the solution you can just not reply and move on because "if it's not for you..." is about as juvenile a response as you can make, it demonstrates you're out of ideas to contribute so do us all a favor and don't troll treads where people are looking for positive change with your negative infantile responses that you've made 200 times before, its boring.

ditto for you.

• Level 5*

This thread and forum is about improving moving forward not jerks running users off with "maybe you should be looking somewhere else". When you run out of intelligent responses that add to the solution you can just not reply and move on

Moving on is certainly an option, as is putting particular members on 'ignore', which is what I'll be doing for your benefit shortly. For the benefit of the forums, though, you should remember that personal insults and name-calling are expressly forbidden, per the Forum Code of Conduct,  #1. Whatever you may think of me or other folks here personally, you should probably keep out of the forums. And you you may not believe this, I really do hope that Evernote finds a way to please you. Meantime, I'll head back to trying to help other users where I can. Good luck.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, IainBev said:

and the way I have ALWAYS worked is to drop something into the relevant 'directory'.

You can emulate directories using the notebook/tag trees in the sidebar1624580387_ScreenShot2019-08-05at10_20_49.png.3cca343beb4dd72a2d4663813fcd9932.png

>>One additional level would be great - two would be fantastic.

As you pointed out, notebooks are currently limited to two levels.  
There's a request at the top for additional  levels.  To add your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

My request would be for unlimited levels

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, IainBev said:

The general consensus of the thread

It's not that anyone here has some kind of vested interest in pushing Tags - the fact is we're all users,  and no-one has any idea of when or whether Evernote will increase the number of levels available.  In the meantime the fact of the matter is that users can either work within the limits of Evernote's existing features,  or look somewhere else to find an app that does fill their need.  My basic principal is always - any method you choose is great if it works for you.  The 'consensus' here is a matter of plain fact - Evernote doesn't 'do' hierarchies - yet.  Maybe they will,  but the company doesn't usually give out their plans in advance!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, IainBev said:

I had hoped that over those years Evernote might have effected this change [for people who don't use tags] but the repeated mantra of 'use tags to do it'  is, as may on here have commented, becoming somewhat tiresome

We tend to repeat certain types the advice because:

1. Nested notebooks do not exist in Evernote currently: Tags and stacks/notebooks (and Spaces in the business product) are all of the facilities that Evernote has to organize user notes. It would be exceedingly dumb and useless to suggest that someone should use facilities that don't exist.
  2. It's a long thread, and not everyone takes the time to read all -- or even much -- of it.
  3. Some Evernote users don't know that tags can be nested, and can be used in a file system-y way to organize and navigate their notes. Yes, at least in in the Windows application, I can just drop a note on a tag (a facility that should exist in all Evernote platforms).
  4. Giving that advice in no way lessens the effect of other Evernote users' advocacy for nested notebooks. It doesn't lessen the vote total since there's no downvoting (and I'd guess that more than one person who gives out the "try tags" advice has also upvoted the request), nor does it make Evernote forget that there's a demand for them. 
  5. We cannot change Evernote ourselves and have no influence over Evernote's direction than any other user here; the best we can do is to get other users to use Evernote -- as it exists --  better.

So sorry that it's tiresome to you., but it's all just practical advice, and in no way is it meant to rain on your day; in fact, it's not intended for you, since you've already concluded that tags don't work for you.

6 hours ago, jefito said:

putting particular members on 'ignore', which is what I'll be doing for your benefit shortly.

Thank you very much, couldn't ask for a better outcome. One less person endlessly replying to new users voicing their desire to have nested notebooks, with the same thing over and over again.

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

That's BS
This thread has degenerated into users posting BOOHOO, Evernote's so bad

>>If it is why does it bother you? 

This clutters up my use of the forum; learning to better use the Evernote product, and to help other users

Are you serious? How about the ultimate uncluttering for you, ignore this thread. It's 1400 posts about the same thing, what exactly is your reason for ever looking at it? 

If it clutters your day, simply don't open it. Believe me nobody is going to miss you cutting and pasting the same replies to every new user which is -"use tags, go use something else..."

You ignore this thread, your life becomes less cluttered, everybody is saved from yet another canned reply. Win/Win/Win

Just like the file system, the notebook in most case will have nested tree structure. 

Only having one level of notebook doesn't seem to be efficient for complicated noting process. 

New features like creating folder inside the notebook will be a great add-in to the notebook. 

On 8/18/2008 at 2:37 AM, engberg said:

We don't have sub-notebooks, but you can organize tags into a hierarchy. This may allow you to set up the organizational scheme you're looking for.

Hi Engberg!
Tags are great, but the are bit different:

1. Notebooks/folders are much more familiar for all the desktop computer users, because we all know folders and subfolders well. So multilevel notebooks hierarchy is kind of "essential" notes organazing.

2. If I am within a notebook, creating a new note will assign it to this notebook with no any extra actions. With tags, I shoud not forget to assign tag to the note to find it later.

P.S. BTW, is there an option to find "all notes without any tags" or "all notes without a specific tag"? This is to find such "forgotten notes" from (2)

• Level 5*
On 8/30/2019 at 4:42 AM, gazumped said:

BTW, is there an option to find "all notes without any tags" or "all notes without a specific tag"? This is to find such "forgotten notes" from (2)

Search   -tag:*      to find notes with no tags

For "forgotten notes" with missing notebook assignment, I search    notebook:Inbox    (my  default notebook)

>>Notebooks/folders are much more familiar for all the desktop computer users

From desktop computer use, I'm familiar with "folder" ; not notebook

Regardless of the name folder/notebook/tag, I'm able to work with  the product

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, srideou said:

The two main reasons why I am currently looking to replace EV with another solution are:
1. Their refusal to take on this very popular and very longstanding sub-stacks request—or at least admit that they can't do so (if that's the case) rather than try to pretend it isn't a desirable feature.
2. Their automatic, irreversible and non-refundable subscription renewals, which may be legal but which nevertheless create a sketchy and exploitative vibe. It's not that I would have said "no" so far if they'd asked me to renew—it's just that I would have liked to have been asked.

Hi.  Please read the thread for details,  but 

1. Evernote have said that implementing a notebook hierarchy is not within the scope of the current architecture of the database,  but they are in process of changing that.  Given that 250M people will be unhappy if anything breaks,  they're probably taking some care not to mess that up.
  2. If you decide at any stage not to renew your subscription you are completely in charge of upgrading,  downgrading or cancelling at any time.  Go to https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action and choose "manage subscription" .  Evernote do not 'ask' every subscriber whether they wish to renew - at least partly because even the lesser (than 250M) number of actual subscribers would require some millions of emails to be sent each year - around 50,000 per day.  If they were expected to deal with queries arising from that volume of customer contact,  there wouldn't be time to do anything else - like redesign that hierarchy...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, srideou said:

this very popular and very longstanding sub-stacks request

This request is for nested notebooks (sub-notebooks), not sub-stacks.

Sub-Stacks would be a problem because there's no actual stack object

>>or at least admit that they can't do so (if that's the case)

Evernote has demonstrated hierarchy implementation with the Tags feature. It's actually a simple database change, but the UI requires extensive work

It would be outstanding if I could add a third-level stack organization in my Evernote Premium notebook organization. My specific use case is for independent information for files related to each project, and business process without getting too detailed. I'm certain this would be popular as more organization offers more productivity. 

Currently I can only create a notebook and drag it into another notebook, so perhaps this feature request is for stacks within stacks. 

Thanks

• Level 5*
On 9/6/2019 at 2:24 PM, Avi Lambert said:

My specific use case is for independent information for files related to each project 

Edit: Someone has merged the stacks discussion with the notebook discussion

I use tags to identify notes related to each project1106376030_ScreenShot2019-09-06at14_58_37.png.8b8954e6728d50d8a08595622ad6d56a.png

>>I'm certain this would be popular as more organization offers more productivity. 

Tags offer unlimited levels.

They are the primary Evernote tool for organization

>>this feature request is for stacks within stacks.

This is difficult to do because there is no actual stack object.

A more reasonable request is for hierarchy to be added to the notebook object.  This has been requested in the discussion linked below

Thanks, Steve, I noticed the other post and saw the depth of posts on it. Apologies for the duplication. Regarding tags, that's not a good use case from my perspective for what I'm using. I used tags before, and it became far too complex and overly un-organized.