Are newcomers more important than Evernote subscribers?

sylvain rodrigue

Idea

Every time I go to evernote.com on a new computer, I enter my email and password in the large textboxes and click on the big green button, blindly - and it doesn't work. Because these big textboxes are for newcomers. If you have a paid subscription, you have to read the fine text below and click on the little "Connect" link. And wait for a second page.

Most websites (if not all of them) are doing the opposite. Why Evernote don't follow the normal case?

I just hate it.

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, sylvain rodrigue said:

Every time I go to evernote.com on a new computer, I enter my email and password in the large textboxes and click on the big green button, blindly - and it doesn't work. Because these big textboxes are for newcomers. If you have a paid subscription, you have to read the fine text below and click on the little "Connect" link. And wait for a second page.

Most websites (if not all of them) are doing the opposite. Why Evernote don't follow the normal case?

I just hate it.

Actually it's not a "paid subscription" distinction, it's new account vs existing account.

I don't use the web platform much, but will admit to selecting new account instead of sign-in more than once.

I assumed other users were more experienced, and had already mastered this.  I've learned to use the Sign In area in the upper right corner and ignore the new account section at the bottom.

I don't think newcomers are more important, but I don't mind Evernote making it easier for them just starting

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 2.09.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 2.13.29 PM.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, sylvain rodrigue said:

I've often wondered about this myself.

16 hours ago, sylvain rodrigue said:

I just hate it.

How often do you "blindly" click on big green buttons... like 7 times or more a day? If that's your big complaint, I think Evernote must be doing pretty well for you. 

@sylvain rodrigue It's a fair point. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm curious about one thing. Do you prefer Evernote for Web more than Evernote for Mac or Windows native apps? Do you use the Web app most of the time? Is there a specific thing that you like about using Evernote for Web more than our native clients?

• Level 5

I don't use the Web version of Evernote very often, but I have to at least hesitate over which button to click every time; I've clicked the wrong one more than once. No, not a huge problem--but a completely unnecessary one, IMHO. I understand welcoming newcomers, inviting them to sign up for an account. But then shouldn't that big button at least be located somewhere other than right between the Username + Password fields for established accounts and the Sign In link? I think it's bad design, and since it is a problem for some people, and moving the button a little wouldn't be likely to cause a problem for anyone, I hope they move it.

• Level 5*
On 5/13/2016 at 8:31 AM, Frank.dg said:

I've often wondered what your thoughts on that exact issue were.

I have noticed that you do wander quite a bit, but I somehow doubt you ever wonder about anything I think.

Now is that "wonder" or "wander"?  I get so confused in my thoughts.  In TX-speak, they are almost the same. :o 

On 13/05/2016 at 10:48 PM, briancaldwell said:

I'm curious about one thing. Do you prefer Evernote for Web more than Evernote for Mac or Windows native apps? Do you use the Web app most of the time? Is there a specific thing that you like about using Evernote for Web more than our native clients?

Sorry to be this late, Brian, and thanks for your comment ! I prefer the Windows EN client a lot but I'm very often using a new computer/pĥone/tablet for work. Cheers.

On 13/05/2016 at 11:37 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I don't use the Web version of Evernote very often, but I have to at least hesitate over which button to click every time; I've clicked the wrong one more than once. No, not a huge problem--but a completely unnecessary one, IMHO. I understand welcoming newcomers, inviting them to sign up for an account. But then shouldn't that big button at least be located somewhere other than right between the Username + Password fields for established accounts and the Sign In link? I think it's bad design, and since it is a problem for some people, and moving the button a little wouldn't be likely to cause a problem for anyone, I hope they move it.

@Dave-in-Decatur I second you - this is bad design. I'm an early adopter of everything on the web since, well, 1994, and I'm getting catched most of the time when I'm logging on the Evernote website. Cheers.

Dave-in-Decatur

Dave-in-Decatur

On 13/05/2016 at 3:34 PM, Frank.dg said:

How often do you "blindly" click on big green buttons... like 7 times or more a day? If that's your big complaint, I think Evernote must be doing pretty well for you. 

@Frank.dg Not a big complain, and Evernote is one of my prefered software ever (with Excel, reNamer, WinMerge, calibre and Visual Studio). This product is nearly perfect, I'm just trying to help the guys to make it perfect :)  Cheers.

Frank.dg

On 5/14/2016 at 2:18 AM, briancaldwell said:

Evernote for Windows is better but as I have to spend most of time on linux I don't have a choice to use the web version

thanks for bringing tha up again @sylvain rodrigue

I have to use the webclient more ofte, because I'm working from linux.
it drives me crazy that I have to click on the buttong, have to wait for the site to load.... yes, you could make a bookmark but why? (besides - i work from multiple Devices... )
I ask myself why sometimes my reaction to this is so emotional ... hm, because its so obvious, thats why, and because I was trapped into the signup form to often - and when you are in a hurry thats really buggin...

Is it too difficult to place a small login form at the upper right oder just create a url to the "terribly-to-type" home.action-Url? like login.en.com or home.evernote.com

On 13/05/2016 at 2:48 PM, briancaldwell said:

Yes I do because I use both a Chromebook and a windows machine.  To be honest I do like the web version better.  I don't use the windows one that often.  The best part of the windows version is that it does not require admin privileges to install.  That way I can install it on my work computer.  I spend about 90% of my time on my Chromebook.  The web version is my main one. 

Archived