Database Opening Very Slow

So this started just a week or so ago.  When I first turn on my Windows 10 machine.  There is an "Opening Database" box that runs for almost a minute.  An thoughts on what is up with that?

evernotedatabase.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

I have noticed this also and like you mentioned this started just a few week ago.

I have also noticed that syncing appears to be a bit slower and the EverNote 'not responding' message is definitely more frequent.

It seems like the entire Evernote system is not as agile and as quick as it use to be...and at it's point in life, you would think that it would be going in the opposite direction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5
On 5/9/2016 at 8:28 AM, philman said:

So this started just a week or so ago.  When I first turn on my Windows 10 machine.  There is an "Opening Database" box that runs for almost a minute.  An thoughts on what is up with that?

evernotedatabase.JPG

Ditto for me. This opening database popup just started a few days ago after I upgraded.

Until the upgrade, I have never seen it in the 8 years I have used Evernote. It is frustratingly slow.

I submitted a support request and advised them that others are seeing the same problem.

Using  Evernote for Windows 6.2.1.3089 (303089) Prerelease

• Level 5
20 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

I submitted a support request and advised them that others are seeing the same problem.

More or less what I expected.

Support responded today. They are not aware of the airplane image or the problem. All they could offer was standard boilerplate responses.

They did give me a URL to post the comment but it failed.

Sorry, there is a problem
We could not locate the item you are trying to view.
Error code: 2F176/1

So, I will wait until the next general release is issued and hope the problem is resolved.

• Level 5*

I've seen that bar, but it is only after an upgrade to a newer version. Sometimes EN makes changes to the database on that first launch after install/upgrade, but if it completes, you shouldn't see it again.

1. Obviously contact customer support
  2. run a CHKDSK c: /r on your PC. That could take hours so run it at night, but will tell you if you have a bad sector the EN database keeps trying to correct.
  3. Assuming all of your files are online, (no local notebooks) you could uninstall EN, delete the database, reinstall, and let it download a fresh database. That would fix any errors inside of the EN database that aren't getting fixed during that progress bar process. That could take minutes or hours depending on your database size. It takes me about 2 hrs for 16,000 notes in an 8GB database over my cable modem on a Macbook. I don't think a PC times are any different. Our network here is so slow the times I experience installing on Windows are not normal or worth repeating.
  • Level 5

For what it is worth, I submitted an activity log with my support request and was informed that it did not help.

My suggestion was to let the Development Team know that the wording should be changed to reflect what is actually happening.

Instead of the confusing "Opening database" comment with the airplane photo, it should say "Reindexing all notes for new version". This would eliminate the confusion.

• 1 year later...

i have the same problem, I re-installed and it worked well and them again.. same problem.

About Evernote support -  chat is not available.

I will have to work with the web version only. 

The problems is that there are some relevant features who are not included in the web version. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have you investigated 'on demand' sync? 

Backup your database for safety's sake and reset your preferences to enable ODS (Tools > Options > Sync),  then exit Evernote and rename your databases folder (in Windows).  When you restart Evernote it will download a search index to your account but no note files.  Your database will still exist on the server (and you should look into how you're going to keep up to date backups of the content) and when you search for notes they will be downloaded to your device.  But the majority of your database will be kept elsewhere.  No more slowness.  You can also set a time limit to 'purge rarely viewed content' so that notes that are not used frequently can be deleted from your local device - they're still available on the server if you do need them.

There are drawbacks (of course...) and you will need to make special arrangements if you have Local Notebooks - but most folks don't.

I dropped a 17GB database down to a couple of MB with this approach,  and had a fantasticly responsive system. :D Then went back to the full database so I could keep a backup. :unsure:

The advantage in your situation would be that you get the full benefit of the installed app without the database that takes so long to load up. (Although mine is still working reasonably well at 17GB...)

Looks like that I have solved it. 

What I did is actually very simple:

1) removed the EN application

2) restarted the laptop 

3) re-install the application that was already downloaded few days ago (folder - download in windows-10)

4) during installation  I choose "advanced" and from there I choose that the application will be available on this laptop only for me.

It works well. No problems. everything is really fast.

Thank you

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Jacob EN said:

Looks like that I have solved it. 

I'm very glad to hear it - and I'll try your solution myself;  I have two laptops which run Evernote slowly,  and both are set up for general access to the app,  though I'm the only user on both machines - it's like any other software install - I always go the default route of 'make this application available to other users on this device?' - Yes.  Will test a restricted reinstall on my backup laptop later!  Thank you!!

Archived