Bring Atlas back!

Varabaiba

Idea

I am also a user with a Premium Account who uses and needs the map feature. To see software updates removing features from a product, I pay for, is far from desirable. Removing one of the Unique Selling Points from a product would seem pretty suicidal if Evernote wishes to retain paying customers.

At a time OneNote seems to getting more and more useful, Evernote is becoming less so. I currently use both and find both to have strengths and even though OneNote is completely free, the Evernote map feature was worth paying the subscription for. Now I am left not just missing the map feature but wondering what will disappear next!

• Like 2
This is what I sent to Evernote to try to explain how vital the Atlas Feature is to those of us who use it. I was told that it would be taken to the developers and they would let me know if they had any questions, but of course I did not hear anything back. I am hoping that it did get passed on, but in hopes of it being seen by more eyes I am posting it here:

For the sake of clarity I am going to use the word "Atlas" to refer to the ability to view a map with all your notes locations marked and the ability to see your current location. Thus giving the ability to see what notes are around or are coming up as you travel. With a simple click you can view your note. Atlas is crucial to note organizing because it provides a viewpoint and structure to notes that no other feature in Evernote, or any of Evernote's competitors possess.

The issue with only being able to view the location within an individual note is that you may not even know you have that note to begin with, especially if it has been years since you made it or visited that place. But looking at a map you can not miss it.

There are many people that would benefit from Atlas:
  • Realtors- notes for houses that they can see and access based off where they are
  • Contractors- keeping notes about current and future jobs at each job site
  • Door to Door salespeople- notes on clients and orders they see as they pull into the drive
  • Anyone who does house calls (nurses, electricians, plumbers, etc)- notes related to jobs...or reminders for the next time they have to visit the house
  • Reporters- keeping the notes of interviews and marking places to return to
  • Photographers- marking places that are great for photos that they want to return to with notes and pictures
  • Anyone who has a service route (delivery people, suppliers, etc.)- so they can include notes that they may forget- i.e. "always use the side door here" "beware of dog", etc.
  • Business travelers- wanting to mark location of a great place to entertain clients, or notes on locations of places that they will forget by the time that they get back there
  • Teachers- taking student on a field trips- ex. notes about the memorials in Washington DC, they can just pull up with the click of a button at each memorial
  • Housecleaning services- notes about the preferences of the home and times they are available
  • Restaurant(or anything) Reviewers- tracking which places they have been and where they want to go next
  • Business with several branches in one city easily seeing all of them on a map
  • Anyone planning a vacation- having notes of places they want to visit in a city and they can easily see what is around them at any given time that they wanted to do. Or marking favorite spots for the next vacation
  • Any profession where someone travels a lot- it may be 4 years before you get back to the same city and it would be great if all your notes were marked so you could easily look and see your notes about from your last trip (especially since you probably don't even remember what places or notes you took)
  • Community organizers/Volunteers -easily seeing where all the locations or supplies are located, send notes of things to accomplish with locations
  • Political organizers- marking out rallies and offices that you can look at and see where you have a connection, or do I know anyone in ____?
  • Truckers- tracking good places to stop and rest along the way, notes concerning roads that do not allow tractor trailers, etc.
  • Anyone who shops- having shopping lists, coupons, receipts, notes about stores- you can pull it all up when you arrive at the store
  • Relief workers- notes with needs and locations to return to and bring aid
  • Fitness- leaving notes of good running spots or workout places around to share with groups
  • Neighborhood watch- making notes on trouble areas or things to watch for
  • Tour Directors/Guides- This is my job, and I list it last because I know that it is a niche market (Though as I mentioned I will be doing Tech Training for 600 tour directors from all over the world next week, and they would all be potential new members of Evernote and then go back and tell their companies about this great product if there was an Atlas feature). The reason that it is vital for me is that I travel all over the world leading trips and giving commentary. My commentary and general notes (location of rest rooms, parking places, where to eat, hotel details,etc) for these places are in Evernote. I may lead a trip to one location and not return for 5 years. So when I return I do not even remember what places I have notes for, so looking at the map I can easily see what I have and click to get to my notes. Going down the highway I may have a note about an area that we pass by, or about some structure we will see. With the Atlas feature I can see it coming and click on it with ease and then back to the map for the next pin. Without the Atlas feature I don't even know I have the note. Even if I do remember I don't have time to quickly look up the note when I see the building ...it is passed by the time I pull it up. A great example is when I do a city tour, I have notes all over the city. I never know the specific order we will see locations due to traffic and timing and different routes (this is why I can't simply use hyperlinks of notes to connect them).  With Atlas I am simply tapping on the screen as things are coming up and people don't even notice that I glance down to get the highlights and go on with the tour. Since Evernote took away Atlas I literally have had countless times that I could not get to notes in time or I did not even realize that I had notes on something because I could not see it on the map. This is especially true when sharing notes (and this would apply to all other businesses)- If someone did not create the note they may not even know to look for it. For example if I send them my notebook on San Francisco, yes they can look through all of the titles and notes. However, when they are actually out and about working they can not stop at each site or attraction and look through all the notes to see if there is something about that location. With Atlas it is a look and a click. Simple, effective, vital. So much of that usefulness is transferable to the people I listed and so many more.

This is even just focusing on the individual, it is easy to see the major benefit for companies to have their employees have this as an option when sharing notes and viewing notes. 

What I am asking for is just the simple Atlas back, seeing pins on a map with my location. But if you really want to take advantage of this vital part of note organizing it would be great if you aimed to add the ability to change the color of the pin (maybe based on tags, or simply by notebooks) so that there could be some distinction between them. Also make it easier to change a location than having to go into Google maps look it up and copy and paste the coordinates. Again to be clear, just the basics will more than enough to set Evernote apart from anything that is out there. I believe that if people really knew the benefit of Atlas and how to use it to simplify their work flow, you would have a lot more users and it would be a selling point for the service. 
  • Like 8

I built my database with the sole purpose of the Atlas feature. It is vital for my job to know where my notes are in relation to where I am currently. It is a feature that set Evernote apart and one that I know more people would use once they discovered the myriad of benefits. I have suffered professionally because of this loss of functionality. Please bring back evernote for android. Im not even asking asking for improvements just return it excactly as it was!

• Like 2

The removal of this feature was both surprising and jarring for me.  It has caused a chilling affect to how I think about Evernote now.  I don't think that Evernote realized that this was not just a search function, but an organizational function for many users.  I would intentionally take notes in places to help with organization.  I had (still have) a "Fieldnotes" notebook with location based notes that I referenced when I travel.  It was such an amazing feeling to be able to see where notes had been taken.  I was building my own Guide, like from HGTTG.  Because of the removal of Atlas, I've essentially "lost data."  Yes the metadata is still there, but it's useless. 

I'm glad to see that this thread is still seeing some interest.  Keep hitting that up vote button.  

I also started a Quora thread and there might be some new information for people there.  https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Evernote-remove-the-Atlas-feature 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

With the various mapping apps around (including GMaps) I'd have thought is was fairly easy for an independent developer (like MohioMap) to write some code based off of Evernote's API which would reference location data and create a note link on a map.

Maybe Evernote is waiting for someone else to pick up the challenge...

• Like 1

Four years ago I started using evernote to organize a study trip to Switzerland. I did that because of the atlas tool. I am an architect and that tool was magnificent! I could see all the pins on a full screen map. I could sincronize the ipad and the iphone and check every single location of all the buildings listed while I was walking or driving in Switzerland (on and off line). The full screen map had a flag for each note and when there where too many locations too close to each other, a number on the flag showed how many notes were included. During the past years the flags has turn into pins with no numbers, the full screen has turn into a small fraction of the screen and now the atlas option is not even an option on my iphone.

I am very disapointed. 

I have contact evernote and it seems they won't fix that unless many other users complain. So please, keep on class cking the counter at the top left of this thread.

• Like 1

I can't express how frustrated I am to see that Evernote 8.0 eliminated the last vestige of the Best Evernote function - Atlas!  At least on my iPad and iPhone I had the utilities of seeing the Places of all of my notes (once Atlas was eliminated from the Windows version of Evernote). When working with in a specific city county or region I could use those note place markers to remind me of previous client visits and opportunities to follow up on.  It is now impossible to mine the data stored in my EverNotes that would previously had made me more efficient in calling on clients and following up on opportunities in my sales funnel based on their geographic location. I have tried Ideaplaces and find it does not work the same way as the Atlas or Places function did. I need to be able to see multiple notes on one map not just one note location at a time. Please rescue me or suggest another app!

Ideaplaces only works for Apple products. I have emailed them several times over the past year asking if they will be expanding to the Android market and they have not responded at all. I have Windows and Android and there is no third party app that works, I have spent hours searching. If you know of one I would love to try it. 

On 3/20/2017 at 11:30 PM, CaseyGray said:
This is what I sent to Evernote to try to explain how vital the Atlas Feature is to those of us who use it. I was told that it would be taken to the developers and they would let me know if they had any questions, but of course I did not hear anything back. I am hoping that it did get passed on, but in hopes of it being seen by more eyes I am posting it here:

For the sake of clarity I am going to use the word "Atlas" to refer to the ability to view a map with all your notes locations marked and the ability to see your current location. Thus giving the ability to see what notes are around or are coming up as you travel. With a simple click you can view your note. Atlas is crucial to note organizing because it provides a viewpoint and structure to notes that no other feature in Evernote, or any of Evernote's competitors possess.

The issue with only being able to view the location within an individual note is that you may not even know you have that note to begin with, especially if it has been years since you made it or visited that place. But looking at a map you can not miss it.

• Realtors- notes for houses that they can see and access based off where they are
  • Door to Door salespeople- notes on clients and orders they see as they pull into the drive
  • Anyone who does house calls (nurses, electricians, plumbers, etc)- notes related to jobs...or reminders for the next time they have to visit the house
  • Photographers- marking places that are great for photos that they want to return to with notes and pictures
  • Anyone who has a service route (delivery people, suppliers, etc.)- so they can include notes that they may forget- i.e. "always use the side door here" "beware of dog", etc.
  • Business travelers- wanting to mark location of a great place to entertain clients, or notes on locations of places that they will forget by the time that they get back there
  • Teachers- taking student on a field trips- ex. notes about the memorials in Washington DC, they can just pull up with the click of a button at each memorial
  • Housecleaning services- notes about the preferences of the home and times they are available
  • Restaurant(or anything) Reviewers- tracking which places they have been and where they want to go next
  • Anyone planning a vacation- having notes of places they want to visit in a city and they can easily see what is around them at any given time that they wanted to do. Or marking favorite spots for the next vacation
  • Any profession where someone travels a lot- it may be 4 years before you get back to the same city and it would be great if all your notes were marked so you could easily look and see your notes about from your last trip (especially since you probably don't even remember what places or notes you took)
  • Community organizers/Volunteers -easily seeing where all the locations or supplies are located, send notes of things to accomplish with locations
  • Political organizers- marking out rallies and offices that you can look at and see where you have a connection, or do I know anyone in ____?
  • Truckers- tracking good places to stop and rest along the way, notes concerning roads that do not allow tractor trailers, etc.
  • Anyone who shops- having shopping lists, coupons, receipts, notes about stores- you can pull it all up when you arrive at the store
  • Fitness- leaving notes of good running spots or workout places around to share with groups
  • Tour Directors/Guides- This is my job, and I list it last because I know that it is a niche market (Though as I mentioned I will be doing Tech Training for 600 tour directors from all over the world next week, and they would all be potential new members of Evernote and then go back and tell their companies about this great product if there was an Atlas feature). The reason that it is vital for me is that I travel all over the world leading trips and giving commentary. My commentary and general notes (location of rest rooms, parking places, where to eat, hotel details,etc) for these places are in Evernote. I may lead a trip to one location and not return for 5 years. So when I return I do not even remember what places I have notes for, so looking at the map I can easily see what I have and click to get to my notes. Going down the highway I may have a note about an area that we pass by, or about some structure we will see. With the Atlas feature I can see it coming and click on it with ease and then back to the map for the next pin. Without the Atlas feature I don't even know I have the note. Even if I do remember I don't have time to quickly look up the note when I see the building ...it is passed by the time I pull it up. A great example is when I do a city tour, I have notes all over the city. I never know the specific order we will see locations due to traffic and timing and different routes (this is why I can't simply use hyperlinks of notes to connect them).  With Atlas I am simply tapping on the screen as things are coming up and people don't even notice that I glance down to get the highlights and go on with the tour. Since Evernote took away Atlas I literally have had countless times that I could not get to notes in time or I did not even realize that I had notes on something because I could not see it on the map. This is especially true when sharing notes (and this would apply to all other businesses)- If someone did not create the note they may not even know to look for it. For example if I send them my notebook on San Francisco, yes they can look through all of the titles and notes. However, when they are actually out and about working they can not stop at each site or attraction and look through all the notes to see if there is something about that location. With Atlas it is a look and a click. Simple, effective, vital. So much of that usefulness is transferable to the people I listed and so many more.

This is even just focusing on the individual, it is easy to see the major benefit for companies to have their employees have this as an option when sharing notes and viewing notes. 

What I am asking for is just the simple Atlas back, seeing pins on a map with my location. But if you really want to take advantage of this vital part of note organizing it would be great if you aimed to add the ability to change the color of the pin (maybe based on tags, or simply by notebooks) so that there could be some distinction between them. Also make it easier to change a location than having to go into Google maps look it up and copy and paste the coordinates. Again to be clear, just the basics will more than enough to set Evernote apart from anything that is out there. I believe that if people really knew the benefit of Atlas and how to use it to simplify their work flow, you would have a lot more users and it would be a selling point for the service. 

i think, this reasons is enough to bring back atlas!

The location field is still there. You can search by it. You can sort by it.  Clicking the field brings up google maps with the correct location. I know that this doesn't give you quite what the atlas did. It sounds like a great (and presumably not very hard)  opportunity for somebody to integrate this into google maps as a third party app.

ScreenClip.png

• Like 2

The Atlas function was very important to me. I was planning on syncing 10,000ish real estate records that I have stored in another database with geo coded information.  Any plan to bring back the Atlas feature?
Is there a work around (third party) that you are aware of that I can connect the geo data included in the Evernote record to display the records on a map?

Sample Property Data.xlsx

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Google Maps has a 'your places' feature which allows you to place and save markers on a map which can be shared with others.  I believe it's also possible to link between a location and a note,  so you could jump from the physical place to a property description and back.  Haven't used it myself (yet) but I took a quick look at what was available and earmarked it for a future project...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎16 at 3:22 AM, TCSnipe said:

The Atlas function was very important to me. I was planning on syncing 10,000ish real estate records that I have stored in another database with geo coded information.  Any plan to bring back the Atlas feature?
Is there a work around (third party) that you are aware of that I can connect the geo data included in the Evernote record to display the records on a map?

Sample Property Data.xlsx

IdeaPlaces for iOS, if you have an apple product.

• Like 2

For those who refers to a search function in evernote on location, do not understand the value of the Atlas function from the past. Just see a on map all interesting places I have archived for a long period in evernote. It was not perfect. recently I installed a plug inn on my iPad the app Idea places, That is the functionality I am looking for in the standard evernote functionality. Hopefully more persons are putting pressure on the evernote team to move forward and not backwards. Greetz from a formally happy user of evernote 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Maps still exists on Android - check the three dots menu!

Yes, I know, but Atlas has disappeared from Windows! It was already not well implemented, because the used Open Street Map instead of Google Maps. But it's needed very much.

Also, the Android version of the map is very slow. They don't seem to use Google Maps in a good way (if at all).

• Like 3

Yes I am an Atlas Missing Guy as well. Please Evernote reconsider. 
In my office, Evernote become popular last year just after I used that feature in a meeting, on a projector. Most of my notes where from iPads, and geo-tagging had been inserted automatically (even before I found out the geo-tagging feature myself). So, minimal effort and big gain. Windows is used by zillions offices around, and an Atlas is simply the most intuitive way to browse data by location: do it on a map. It is simply the best GUI experience possible after mind-reading. What was the name of that guy I met at the conference in that small place north of Milan last year? Zoom, Found. I'm not saying Evernote has become useless now, but that special edge it had on other solutions has diminished, at least for me and my colleagues. Also, this story made me afraid of discovering tomorrow that other non-minor features will be just gone without notice.

• Like 2

Please bring Atlas back. Or easy integration to Google Maps. But it used to be great to zoom into a location/holiday destination and easily get that grouping of notes. And the fact the GEO TAG got added to your notes without you noticing ...all that valuable data with no easy way to use it. I have missed the reason of why it was removed in this forum. Anybody?

Improve it....don't remove it

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, Regional Sales Pro said:

I can't express how frustrated I am to see that Evernote 8.0 eliminated the last vestige of the Best Evernote function - Atlas!  At least on my iPad and iPhone I had the utilities of seeing the Places of all of my notes (once Atlas was eliminated from the Windows version of Evernote). When working with in a specific city county or region I could use those note place markers to remind me of previous client visits and opportunities to follow up on.  It is now impossible to mine the data stored in my EverNotes that would previously had made me more efficient in calling on clients and following up on opportunities in my sales funnel based on their geographic location. I have tried Ideaplaces and find it does not work the same way as the Atlas or Places function did. I need to be able to see multiple notes on one map not just one note location at a time. Please rescue me or suggest another app!

Hi.  You're posting in a Windows forum.

I understand which forum I have posted in. The issue is that whether in my Windows Tablet loosing the ATLAS functionality or the IOS forum and discussing the loss of the PLACES functionality on my iPhone or iPad  - your most recent revision has DESTROYED the Utility of your software. Have you any suggest App providers that can offer this functionality by accessing my Evernote GeoTags???

• Level 5*

Hi.  This is a mainly user-supported forum,  and I'm a user just like you.  Atlas in Windows disappeared some time ago,  and until recently only the mobile applications retained it - until the iOS update.  I don't offhand know of any apps that can integrate with Evernote,  and I'd imagine the number that could do so in multiple OS's would be rather small.  Maybe someone else can suggest one.

When the Atlas function was removed and since I have been very frustrated.  Now that Places has been removed from the iPhone app I have now way to see all of my notes that I have worked on and very accurately placed the geo data!  Help!  I need to see the notes on a map!  One at a time is of no value!  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.   

• Level 5*

@CaseyGray Great detailed post.  I'm curious if you've tried out IdeaPlaces and if there's a reason it doesn't fulfill your needs?  Granted I'm sure you would prefer to have Atlas back so you have the capability integrated into Evernote, but given how critical a need it is for you, I'm curious if that third-party app would help you out?  I'm not at all affiliated with IdeaPlaces, just a curious third-party developer...

Casey your note and points are fantastic.  I would also add that retailers and restaurant can track customers location and identify buildings, residential and office that they are not penetrating efficiently. It will also help understand and demonstrate(Map) the best next locations.  I hope very much  that Evernote is listening as gazumped said!

• Level 5*

If you can live with desktop-only,  there are a number of geolocation products out there that should be able to plot note locations to maps.  Even Google Maps has a personal maps feature.  We're now up to a respectable 24 votes (top left of page) to get this back,  but there's been no comment or movement from Evernote...

Yes, I am in total agreement that Evernote needs to bring back this feature.  I can't imagine why it would have been discontinued.  It's a serious enough blunder that I will need to start looking for alternatives.  Never thought I would be saying this.  Evernote seems to have lost it's way... Too bad. 

• Level 5*

Completely off topic - except that it does have to do with mapping - has everyone heard of what3words?  They divided the world into a grid of 3m x 3m squares and assigned each one a unique 3 word address. So anyone can accurately find any location and share it more quickly, easily and with less ambiguity than any other system.  Evernote forinstance is allegedly at valve.shiny.email

It's a lot simpler than co-ordinates and much more memorable and easily searchable...

• Like 2

I'm at a loss as to why Evernote would have had this feature for literally years and then... it's gone. Maybe it has to do with licensing but still why did it suddenly become an issue. Also, is Evernote monitoring this forum and if so, what is their response? 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, dmboshers said:

I'm at a loss as to why Evernote would have had this feature for literally years and then... it's gone. Maybe it has to do with licensing but still why did it suddenly become an issue. Also, is Evernote monitoring this forum and if so, what is their response? 

Evernote do monitor the forums,  but they rarely comment on work in progress and virtually never explain why they changed -or removed- one or another feature.  Whatever changes they may plan are commercially interesting to their competition - maybe another company can do something first,  or better,  or they know not to bother with one feature,  but to concentrate on another because Everenote aren't developing it.  Plus if they say they're going to do something,  and then it doesn't happen for months,  the forums will be a continuing gripefest...

Better to use all their efforts on whatever project is current and get it out as soon as possible.

Thanks. Yes I've heard this before but the problem is this is a feature that did exist and then was removed. It's not like something new.  As fa as using 3rd party solutions, although they may work it doesn't really address the problem.  The Atlas feature was useful because it was automatic AND required no interaction from the user.  It provided another way of referencing notes besides tags, etc.  For instance I may not be able to remember the name of a restaurant I went to the last time I was in Syracuse, New York but I remember I really like it.  The atlas feature made it easy to see all the notes I had stored when I was in Syracuse - a limited amount - and from there it wouldn't be hard to find the information I was looking for about that restaurant. Of course there are many other examples of how this has been useful.  

The bigger problem is what appears to be a trend to make Evernote less powerful rather than more powerful.  I would think that would be a sign that it's in decline (still) or at the very least confused.  How are they going to entice me and others like me to remain with this platform with this kind of strategy? 

Lastly, I know there is a syntax for date search but it's not convenient or intuitive. That would be a feature I'm sure many would welcome.  

What is Evernote actually adding or enhancing besides tinkering with the interface?  

Appreciate your feedback. 

• Level 5*

FWIW, Evernote did provide an explanation for why they removed Atlas in a forum thread last year:

On 4/22/2016 at 4:53 PM, Stephane Lo said:

Atlas is being intentionally phased out and it will not come back. This is a deliberate decision, from 2 factors: 

1. This feature is used by less than 1% of our users and iOS/Android already phased that out.
  2. The service and API we use to power that feature is getting deprecated and we do not have a viable alternative.

From this thread:

• Like 2

Indeed, Atlas is important feature, it help to visual geotag lot of the notes. In particular I traveling all the time. Geotag note help me recall where I take the note.

I am very upset by upgrade to 6.12.1, never see mention Atlas will be remove also.

Once upgraded, can not found note by go to Atlas. ...

Without Atlas view, what the point for me to keep subscribe for the Premium, better switch over to the OneNote for keep my note that way, since it indifference for me. So pages of notes now.

5 hours ago, limkimkeong said:

Indeed, Atlas is important feature, it help to visual geotag lot of the notes. In particular I traveling all the time. Geotag note help me recall where I take the note.

I am very upset by upgrade to 6.12.1, never see mention Atlas will be remove also.

Once upgraded, can not found note by go to Atlas. ...

Without Atlas view, what the point for me to keep subscribe for the Premium, better switch over to the OneNote for keep my note that way, since it indifference for me. So pages of notes now.

For those who are stuck in the similar problem, here the self rescue solution, it work for me, all my atals view back to function .... by downgrade, roll back previous version before they take out the feature. A lesson learn as well, already prefect function take out ... to induce migration to other platform / alternative product, maybe.

1. I Use Mac, so uninstall the current version, complete purge out the database. Then reinstall 6.11.x and it work back.

2. I Use iOS, uninstall the current version, then reinstall back v7.7.11 and it work back. Do the same way for my iPad and it work back.

3. I Use Android, uninstall the current version, then reinstall back v7-9-4 and it work back.

• Level 5*

This thread has been going for a long while now with no reaction from Evernote - which is fairly typical.. the company has never felt the need to justify its operational choices.  Their ball - their rules.  It does seem to indicate that there's little chance of seeing a return of the 'official' Atlas - which may have been dropped because of other geolocation services being developed by thrd parties.

There are apps like IdeaPlaces which offer mapping 'extension' features for Evernote;  and additional services like Google's geolocation mapper which might form part of a work around process.  Some web searches might help you build something useful

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, gazumped said:

This thread has been going for a long while now with no reaction from Evernote - which is fairly typical.. the company has never felt the need to justify its operational choices.  Their ball - their rules.  It does seem to indicate that there's little chance of seeing a return of the 'official' Atlas - which may have been dropped because of other geolocation services being developed by thrd parties.

There are apps like IdeaPlaces which offer mapping 'extension' features for Evernote;  and additional services like Google's geolocation mapper which might form part of a work around process.  Some web searches might help you build something useful

Thank for offering some potential solution.

IdeaPlaces seem work for iOS only at the moment. But based on my current use case, I use Evernote cross platform, from laptop (Mac and Windows), iOS and Android, unless solution work cross platform, else as temporary solution will continue to used outdated version that supported Atlas, it serve me well. Just let go other new feature.

But do thank you for your advice and at least point me to the direction what the future will be if update version without Atlas supported will be.

I do had DayOne and DayOne2 app for Mac, iOS in licensed, offer beautiful diary use case. But it is no cross platform, and Evernote do help for no need to cache all notes into small phone, so continue be my prefer choice and continue my premium subscription. But since Evernote start to drop the classic and very core feature from the product, will see in future whether alternative solution work for me during then.

• Like 1
On 9/12/2017 at 9:15 AM, gazumped said:

Thanks!  Seems like a great alternative.  Has Evernote stated any commitment to keeping the current support to add GPS coordinates or addresses?  (ie, any risk they kill the 3rd party options too?)

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, GregB2 said:

Has Evernote stated any commitment to keeping the current support to add GPS coordinates or addresses

No statement from Evernote, but there’s no indication of the location information being dropped.  It’s firmly installed in the metadata database and the OS API

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, GregB2 said:

Has Evernote stated any commitment to keeping the current support to add GPS coordinates or addresses?

No information AFAIK either - Evernote really don't share what they're thinking - and plans can change from year to year anyway.  Best advice is always: use what you got,  worry about problems if and when they happen.  ^_^

I have tried all of the other options and found nothing approach the performance of Atlas  as it allowed you to see large numbers of individual notes arranged in a special fashion that made management of territories extremely easy and efficient. I find it hard to believe that less than 1% of users found this feature beneficial. 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Regional Sales Pro said:

I find it hard to believe that less than 1% of users found this feature beneficial. 

Just wondering where this number came from?

Maybe it’s the % of users willing to pay for the service?

I just installed Evernote for the first time while trying to find a solution to track shooting locations as a photographer.  Geotagging notes and Atlas was the only reason I am trying it out.  
I need something that works between Android and Windows.  Any suggestions?

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Edser said:

I just installed Evernote for the first time while trying to find a solution to track shooting locations as a photographer.  Geotagging notes and Atlas was the only reason I am trying it out.  

Hi.  What do you mean by 'track locations'?  Do you need to find all notes in a particular geographical area,  see all notes by area on a map,  or find notes that have a theme like waterfalls / trees etc.

Atlas has been gone for 2+ years so I don't see that returning.  Google Maps does allow you to link pictures and locations together.  Evernote would allow you to add tags to a small image so you could link waterfalls etc together.  I don't know of any photographer specific apps,  but its likely that others will have wanted to record scouting locations...

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Edser said:

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Doh!  I completely forgot to say that there's an option in the mobile apps to automatically record the location of the note still - Atlas was just a way to show note locations on a map.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:48 PM, Edser said:

I do this but because the atlas feature is gone, I create a shareable note link and have to manually pin the link to a google map layer.

http://bit.ly/vagabondexpedition-map

*doesn't really work on internet explorer, but fully functional on chrome.

I then use tags in evernote to sort on locations for "photo-location-waterfall", "photo-type-sunsets", "photo-type-mountainbikes", "photo-location-abandoned" etc., to see areas I'm interested in (or have visited that I need/want to return to).... but I also use the google map to see what I have marked in areas I'm going to visit, click a pin and jump to the evernote note I have referenced.

It looks to me like IdeaPlaces is totally defunct. (See their web page, their twitter feed, etc.)

I know my particular use case includes a tactile sense of discovery around *where I was* when a note or photo was taken. I've been an Evernote Premium member since 2011, and I was very disappointed when the ability to search by map was taken away.

I understand the business case for eliminating features that are rarely used, but I really wish you would reconsider.

• Level 5*
On 11/1/2018 at 8:44 PM, alexmarkley said:

It looks to me like IdeaPlaces is totally defunct. (See their web page, their twitter feed, etc.)

I know my particular use case includes a tactile sense of discovery around *where I was* when a note or photo was taken. I've been an Evernote Premium member since 2011, and I was very disappointed when the ability to search by map was taken away.

I understand the business case for eliminating features that are rarely used, but I really wish you would reconsider.

Some random observations - 

Not sure how far they take it,  but What 3 Words has an Android app that will automatically geolocate any picture taken with the app,  using their unique system. "banks voting them" - https://w3w.co/banks.voting.them - is the exact location of Evernote's front entrance in Redwood City. (I swear these addresses are specially chosen or something...) 

If you added the three-word-code to your notes in titles or tags,  you could search by the same criteria.  Since the locations are common words,  you'd need to use the "terms in quotes" to search for the exact phrase.  Only drawbacks - this is quite precise:  a 5-metre square,  and the address of the next square will be quite different - there's no easy way to widen out your search to a district or a city.

Google Maps allows you to upload pictures to a location,  and there's a 'My Maps' feature you might be able to use - don't know how secure that is.

It's always possible to just tag notes with a town or region to group them together...

On 4/16/2017 at 5:41 PM, alifebriyanto said:

i think, this reasons is enough to bring back atlas!

Looks like Evernote doesn't listen to its subscribers, because now in the note it doesn't even document the location of the creation of the note.  I used to always like that it gave that information!!!  Very disappointed that they got rid of this information!!!

• Level 5

Sorry, but this is simply not true: You can choose „Location“ in your settings, and the location will be recorded (if available) and as well shown in the information section of a note. On my iPad there is a little Google map showing with a pin where the note was created. So if you have the locator running on your device, and if you have your settings set, you will record the geodata  of where you created a note.

What this thread is about is an overview map-style showing the creation location of a number of notes. This existed and was taken out of the functionality 2 yrs ago. If you would like to have this back, place your vote.

Photographers hint: There are a number of programs where the geolocation can be added to pics, if not already in the EXIF-information. This can be done in after-shot processing, batch-style (select all pics from one place, and add the geolocation).

Because the location of a photo shooting will often not be the same place as the location where a note with this photo inside will be created, I think tagging the picture itself is better than relying on a program like EN to geotag the „picture container“. But if wanted, see above.

Definitely bring it back.

Basic memory science: location is important. 

If EN is to be the ultimate digital memory, this must be resurrected...... 

A weather metadata take would be useful too. Like to recall time/date/location/environment with my notes. 

59 minutes ago, frogdude said:

Definitely bring it back.

Basic memory science: location is important. 

If EN is to be the ultimate digital memory, this must be resurrected...... 

A weather metadata take would be useful too. Like to recall time/date/location/environment with my notes. 

Not quite the perfect solution to missing Atlas, or weather meta data - but you can use the IFTTT service to generate a note each day with the weather forecast.  It won't "follow you" if you're travelling - but it does work for where you've got it set for.   I do this with a daily journal note that gets sent to my Evernote account each day - with built out spots that I'm always filling in (how much coffee I drank today, how much water, what did I eat, etc) - and the note heading always gets the weather forecast.

Might not be what you want or need - but it's an idea in case you haven't thought of it before. 

But ultimately, yes, it would be nice to have the atlas feature again!

• Like 1
On 6/2/2020 at 3:02 AM, ej8899 said:

Not quite the perfect solution to missing Atlas, or weather meta data - but you can use the IFTTT service to generate a note each day with the weather forecast.  It won't "follow you" if you're travelling - but it does work for where you've got it set for.   I do this with a daily journal note that gets sent to my Evernote account each day - with built out spots that I'm always filling in (how much coffee I drank today, how much water, what did I eat, etc) - and the note heading always gets the weather forecast.

Might not be what you want or need - but it's an idea in case you haven't thought of it before. 

But ultimately, yes, it would be nice to have the atlas feature again!

Yes that is a neat trick, I have also tried that too! But as you say, it only good if you are in the same place all the time.Thanks for the reply! 👍

My scenario is for a research project on diseased trees 🌲.(Climate change related) 

I wish to log each observation - photo, brief notes. It’s GPS stamped, weather stamped. With Atlas visuals it becomes a usable database. Collaborative too.

This is something Evernote should be really useful for. Currently looking at Airtable or similar software - shouldn’t have to! 

• Level 5*
On 6/4/2020 at 4:43 PM, frogdude said:

I wish to log each observation - photo, brief notes. It’s GPS stamped, weather stamped.

Just for information - have you looked at What3Words? - It's a geocode system (says Wikipedia) for the communication of locations with a resolution of three metres. What3words encodes geographic coordinates into three dictionary words; the encoding is permanently fixed.  The site has a number of apps including a photography utility that will automatically include the location of the image. 

I appreciate it doesn't do what you asked for and doesn't include a weather report, but the location would be secured. 

Google have a similar geolocation system now - if you check out a map location you should see a 'plus code' - GV25+G6 London is Buckingham Palace forinstance. W3W's equivalent is https://what3words.com/tolls.wiring.weds which has the advantage of taking you directly to the location (of the front gate) on the map.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, joshuastree said:

Bring atlas back!!!  I’ve needed this just about every time I open the app. Please prettty please?!?!  Jeezus

Atlas has been gone for how many years now?  And while there are 80+ votes to support the request,  there are other feature requests with 400+ votes that haven't happened yet...

Just for interest,  why is geolocation of notes so important to you?

We own, manage, lease and sell properties all over the western US.  It is incredibly helpful to be able to see all of the notes/properties in a specific area to help manage contractors, prospective users, tax valuation, prospective purchasers, maintenance crews.....

World love to be able to take advantage of all the Lat Long data that we have taken the time to enter into the notes related to specific properties.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, TCSnipe said:

We own, manage, lease and sell properties all over the western US.  It is incredibly helpful to be able to see all of the notes/properties in a specific area to help manage contractors, prospective users, tax valuation, prospective purchasers, maintenance crews.....

World love to be able to take advantage of all the Lat Long data that we have taken the time to enter into the notes related to specific properties.  

Hi.  AFAIK there's no way to extract co-ordinates or display the geography of your database on a map.  Seems to me you'd have to assign your own regions to group / search properties together anyway...  Most of the main mapping companies (I believe) offer the options to configure your own data on an electronic map,  or there's (obviously) the old fashioned option of brightly coloured pins and hand written labels...

2 hours ago, TCSnipe said:

Unfortunately, no built in mechanism for this any more.

What I do is use Google My Maps and add 'pins' to locations.  I can then have a variety of data associated into those pins on Google My Maps - one of which is a link back to Evernote where I have the data I've collected in Evernote, photos, drawings, etc.   

Not the ideal solution necessarily - but I work with hundreds of locations regularly and it works well for me. 

• Like 1

what is odd..... there is no explanation was to why this was taken away..... you would think with everyone requesting this feature the CEO, or someone in authority, would explain why this happen?

but another oddity, the other note taken apps don't have this feature either.... or none I could find.

also I did reach out to support through chat asking why this was taken away; why no explanation.  They said they have created a ticket and someone will be addressing my concern...…..

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, greginfla said:

I did reach out to support through chat asking why this was taken away

It'll be interesting to see if they do offer a technical explanation,  but lets not forget this isn't a request service.  Every software company takes their own commercial decisions to join and leave markets.  If that means the service no longer suits your needs,  you look for alternatives.  Atlas went years ago,  just as other mapping services were taking off - and I'd guess that Evernote either decided keeping their app competitive with the rest of the mapping market was just too difficult or expensive;  or maybe if they were buying in the service,  the prices just went up as new features were added. 

On 8/24/2020 at 11:58 AM, gazumped said:

It'll be interesting to see if they do offer a technical explanation

From what I remember of the discussion, it was a financial decision. Atlas wasn't free (no, I have no idea about the cost - I stay away from that stuff!)

• Like 1

Finally getting a little bit of free time to work on some Evernote 'how to videos'... Here's my Evernote Altas work around for anyone interested... I suspect most of you who need mapped notes already have such a thing figured out, but just in case - here you go:

• Like 1
On 9/20/2020 at 8:07 PM, ej8899 said:

Finally getting a little bit of free time to work on some Evernote 'how to videos'... Here's my Evernote Altas work around for anyone interested... I suspect most of you who need mapped notes already have such a thing figured out, but just in case - here you go:

Thanks, but manually entering all the locations when I'm on a scout trip isn't an option!  It's easier to just drop a pin on Google Maps anymore. I STILL wish this would come back. I gave up my subscription when it was obvious this was never returning. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Robbin_G said:

Thanks, but manually entering all the locations when I'm on a scout trip isn't an option!  It's easier to just drop a pin on Google Maps anymore. I STILL wish this would come back. I gave up my subscription when it was obvious this was never returning. 

You're replying to a 9-month-old post on a 6-year-old topic;  sympathies for your loss,  but you need to move on....  ^_^

• Like 1

I was pleading with another app company to add some type of atlas feature ...and decided to look and see if there has been any updates on this topic.   I see nothing on Evernote, but I did ask chatgpt 

Basically, it says... no one was using the feature and Evernote decided to move on to other features.   It did suggest use Mapit..... I tried it; awkward to use.... and no easy way to post locations to Evernote 

https://poe.com/s/KziMdJoFAGY234HnqKZ6

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, greginfla said:

decided to look and see if there has been any updates on this topic

Hi.  No comment from anyone for 2 years,  which doesn't auger well for your use case.  If you don't mind;  can you explain why you need the mapping feature and/ or how you would use it?  There are a lot of new apps around that might help out ,  but they all tend to be rather specialised to one activity or another...

On 3/20/2017 at 11:30 AM, CaseyGray said:

Casey, I plagiarized your list to pitch to another company... pleading with them to offer some type of geo-tagging note capabilities.    Please forgive me.  Did you ever come up with another solution?  

28 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  No comment from anyone for 2 years,  which doesn't auger well for your use case.  If you don't mind;  can you explain why you need the mapping feature and/ or how you would use it?  There are a lot of new apps around that might help out ,  but they all tend to be rather specialised to one activity or another...

My use was looking up meeting notes...   couldn't remember the topic or attendees, but I could always remember the location and find it with atlas.  

or even if I remembered the meeting ...... i often would go to atlas and see all the notes at my current location..... instead of just thumbing through notes till I find the ones I am looking for.  

On 5/22/2017 at 9:46 AM, gazumped said:

Completely off topic - except that it does have to do with mapping - has everyone heard of what3words?  They divided the world into a grid of 3m x 3m squares and assigned each one a unique 3 word address. So anyone can accurately find any location and share it more quickly, easily and with less ambiguity than any other system.  Evernote forinstance is allegedly at valve.shiny.email

It's a lot simpler than co-ordinates and much more memorable and easily searchable...

Do you use this service often?   never heard of it until I was reading this groups post again

• Level 5

What a fuzz ! Is was removed before May 2016, that’s when this thread was started.

Gone, finito, kaputt.

Nothing was posted in this thread since 2 years. In total it collected 94 votes in 7 years, that’s a little more than one every month. Doesn’t even make top 10, if I am not mistaken.

There is nothing more to say - it is no part of the  feature list since more than 7 years.

Anybody who wants it back can ask support.

The mobile app has a view in note information where it was created. This information exists only for notes that were created on a mobile device. 

When your meeting notes were created on a laptop, no localization data anyhow.