Clicking web link to note goes to web Evernote, not locally installed app

I'm not sure when this broke, but I used to be able to click a note link when one was shown in a web page link, and it would open in my locally installed app. It used to be that the first time I would click an Evernote link in a web page, if the computer had the Evernote app installed, I would get a notification page in Chrome that would prompt me to choose whether to open the links in the Evernote web page, or in my locally installed application. I could choose the local app and make that the default.

Now, when I click a link, the web version of Evernote pops up, and I can't get it to open in the app. I found an article related to this from about a year ago, and it said to remove all Evernote cookies from Chrome. I've tried doing this, but nothing has helped to make it work. 

Is this how things are going to be from now on? Or did someone break this functionality with the latest update?

I would be happy to use the web version of Evernote, but it has so much functionality missing from it that I need from the local app. If the web version was on par with the app, I wouldn't care about this. But I really want my links to open in the app, not in the web page.

• Level 5*

Just tested and sent an email to myself with note links, one normal and one using Ctrl-click to create it.  The normal link opens EN web, the Ctrl-click version opens the note in EN desktop, which is what I would expect.  Do you know how the links were created for those you are having issues with?

• Level 5*

You might want to look at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/note_links.php 

There our currently three types of links to notes offered by Evernote.
  • Note Links.               <<Private
  • In-App Note Links    <<Classic
  • Public Links              <<Public

Note Links are used to reference a note in a web browser that when the recipient of the link already has access via notebook or individual note sharing. In-App Note Links also known as ‘Classic Note Links’ are used to reference a note in Evernote clients like when notes are linked to from within other notes and to open notes in a Evernote client in situations were it is known that the user already has access to the note. Public Links are used to share a note with users who do not already have access though a web browser. Public links give access to view the note regardless of the share settings. The user can then save that note to their Evernote account. Public Links can be disabled by the user on a individual basis.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

cshihilling, I know I could RTM (such as it is), but could you explain the difference between "normal [note links], and one using Ctrl-click to create it"?

For my purposes,

1. if you right click a note and select Copy Note Link you get a link to the note that when clicked outside of EN will go to the web.  
  2. If you press the Crtrl key at the same time you select Copy Note Link you get a link to the note that when clicked outside EN will open the note in EN desktop.

Both work the same within EN, that is you paste the link in another note.

• 1 year later...

For macOS users:

How To Access The Classic Evernote Link

1. Right click on the desired Evernote Note you wish to link to
  2. Hold down Option on a Mac . You will see the “Copy Note Link” change to “Copy Classic Note Link.”
  3. Select “Copy Classic Note Link.”
  4. Paste the Classic Note Link to the desired location.

Found this answer (that works) at: https://blog.jasonfrasca.com/open-evernote-note-links-directly-on-the-desktop-again-5ccd8bfaa48a

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, lcarriere said:

Paste the Classic Note Link to the desired location.

If you paste within Evernote, you can just use the default copy link feature; it stores both the classic and web link

• 9 months later...
On 5/6/2016 at 6:25 AM, CalS said:

If you press the Crtrl key at the same time you select Copy Note Link you get a link to the note that when clicked outside EN will open the note in EN desktop.

So 2 years and 4 months later does this still work?

I just tried 'CTRL' + 'CopyURL' within EN desktop client then pasted the resulting Link to my Online Asana (Project Management/ToDo List) Account/Task...but the link still points to EN Web...NOT EN desktop App.  

Is it possible today in 2018 to create a link to Note that is pasted on another website that when clicked will take me to EN desktop app and not the Webapp??

I'm on Win10 64Bit running EN 6.15.4.7934 (307934) Public (CE Build ce-53.4.6770), and use latest Chrome Browser...cheers

• Level 5*

You may have to reset the chrome browser.  There’s a thread in the forum for this. This may be old but it might help.  Has to do with resetting the target. No at my PC or I might be able to get a better link  

https://www.evernote.com/client/snv?noteGuid=1a0658b4-b183-4abf-beeb-40a7c6515acb&noteKey=9129e9c30b255d48&var=b&sn=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com%2Fshard%2Fs12%2Fsh%2F1a0658b4-b183-4abf-beeb-40a7c6515acb%2F9129e9c30b255d48&exp=ENB3907&title=Where%2Bto%2Bopen%2Bnotes%2Bfrom%2BWeb%2BClipper

13 minutes ago, CalS said:

You may have to reset the chrome browser.  There’s a thread in the forum for this. This may be old but it might help.  Has to do with resetting the target. No at my PC or I might be able to get a better link  

https://www.evernote.com/client/snv?noteGuid=1a0658b4-b183-4abf-beeb-40a7c6515acb&noteKey=9129e9c30b255d48&var=b&sn=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com%2Fshard%2Fs12%2Fsh%2F1a0658b4-b183-4abf-beeb-40a7c6515acb%2F9129e9c30b255d48&exp=ENB3907&title=Where%2Bto%2Bopen%2Bnotes%2Bfrom%2BWeb%2BClipper

Funnily I was just reading this page (the one you link to above) before checking if you responded.  Yes it is old, the page is dated 2015, and the instructions I think are outdated.  It mentions how to 'open a note from web clipper' and I'm pretty sure I don't have this functionality on my web clipper v7.6.1 (for Google Chrome).  And the six EN cookies I currently have added on my browser, do not include the one it advises to remove 'enAppInstalled' ...so back to the drawing board...but my ears/eyes and other senses remain open to yours/others advice...cheers again

I do NOT believe it is possible in 2018, to create a note-link that is shared/added on other websites (or an email), that will then take/connect you to the Note on the DESKTOP App vs the EN WEB App when clicked. I think EN discontinued this functionality in order reduce conflicts/or to standardise things across platforms.

@lcarriere above refers to website https://blog.jasonfrasca.com/open-evernote-note-links-directly-on-the-desktop-again-5ccd8bfaa48a as having the solution, that ultimately requires the use/creation of an EN 'Classic Link'.  The article however is dated 2014. 

The only way I was able, that I could find, to create a 'Classic Link' e.g.  " evernote:///view/.../ "  was to 1st go online and logon to EN Web (not my EN Desktop App)... Then hover over an 'IN-APP' link to the Note, that I wish to link to (so had to create the in-app link as well)... then copy and paste this in to the desired application, in my case Asana. 

Problem is the 'Classic Link' was not recognised by Asana nor was it recognised in a test email I created using my MS Outlook desktop client...so no can do unfortunately.

Can someone please find the answer/solution IF indeed one still exists in 2018.  Would be nice if there was an option to create a Link that could either open in EN Web or EN Desktop...maybe I will open a feature request.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, RavBoy said:

I do NOT believe it is possible in 2018, to create a note-link that is shared/added on other websites (or an email), that will then take/connect you to the Note on the DESKTOP App vs the EN WEB App when clicked. I think EN discontinued this functionality in order reduce conflicts/or to standardise things across platforms.

@lcarriere above refers to website https://blog.jasonfrasca.com/open-evernote-note-links-directly-on-the-desktop-again-5ccd8bfaa48a as having the solution, that ultimately requires the use/creation of an EN 'Classic Link'.  The article however is dated 2014. 

The only way I was able, that I could find, to create a 'Classic Link' e.g.  " evernote:///view/.../ "  was to 1st go online and logon to EN Web (not my EN Desktop App)... Then hover over an 'IN-APP' link to the Note, that I wish to link to (so had to create the in-app link as well)... then copy and paste this in to the desired application, in my case Asana. 

Problem is the 'Classic Link' was not recognised by Asana nor was it recognised in a test email I created using my MS Outlook desktop client...so no can do unfortunately.

Can someone please find the answer/solution IF indeed one still exists in 2018.  Would be nice if there was an option to create a Link that could either open in EN Web or EN Desktop...maybe I will open a feature request.

The post is old. I had to reset the chrome action in the last year.  I will find the post when I back to my laptop. 

Thanks @CalS

I just discovered the NEW  EN Web App View/Version by doing the 'switch to new version' thingy on the WebApp...and my 1st impressions are, looks bloody awesome.  This and recent Notebook limit increase has really recovered my recent misgivings about EN...well done EN team.

So much so, that I'm now now wondering If I even need an installed EN for Windows App!?  I guess it helps to have a BUP and for when Internet access goes down.

I also just distinguished, however, that IF I use the 'CopyURL' menu option from the EN for Windows Desktop app, and insert this link into another Website such as Asana, that now when I click this link it will take me to a 'copy' of the note (on EN WebApp) with a message saying the original won't be editiable (see image)

1796670786_ScreenCap_02Oct.182018.jpg.61ac79757a991018c183104260312d6a.jpg

The workaround I just found is to actually access the EN WebApp: then....Click 'Share' Button, Then 'More Share Options', Then 'Copy Internal Link'  ...and now use this link on other sites which allows me to edit which of course then syncs back to the desktop app which is what I use 99% of the time...

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, RavBoy said:

I'm now now wondering If I even need an installed EN for Windows App!?

You'll find the desktop apps provide you full access to the Evernote featureset.
The web and mobile platforms are limited.

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

You'll find the desktop apps provide you full access to the Evernote featureset.
The web and mobile platforms are limited.

Agreed...After playing around with it since yesterday, I just then decided to stick with the Desktop version.  My reasoning:

Cons:

1. Pages/Notes don't load as fast (albeit marginally) as the desktop app, even with my average 90MBS internet downloads speeds
  2. Lack of shortcuts to create links/internal links... more clicking-time involved

Pros:

1. Ability to have a psuedo dark mode (#1 EN feature request) when using a chrome extension like 'Care Your Eyes'
  2. Reduce load on my CPU by sometime as much as 30% on average 10%...and reduce fan kicking on
  3. New Beta web version looks awesome nearly the same as the desktop minus a stack-view in the sidebar

So yep you're absolutely right just more features/functions on the desktop but good to know the web version is so aligned and consistent with the desktop...EN starting to do good things...cheers

• Level 5*
On 10/17/2018 at 11:03 PM, RavBoy said:

Thanks @CalS

I just discovered the NEW  EN Web App View/Version by doing the 'switch to new version' thingy on the WebApp...and my 1st impressions are, looks bloody awesome.  This and recent Notebook limit increase has really recovered my recent misgivings about EN...well done EN team.

So much so, that I'm now now wondering If I even need an installed EN for Windows App!?  I guess it helps to have a BUP and for when Internet access goes down.

I also just distinguished, however, that IF I use the 'CopyURL' menu option from the EN for Windows Desktop app, and insert this link into another Website such as Asana, that now when I click this link it will take me to a 'copy' of the note (on EN WebApp) with a message saying the original won't be editiable (see image)

1796670786_ScreenCap_02Oct.182018.jpg.61ac79757a991018c183104260312d6a.jpg

The workaround I just found is to actually access the EN WebApp: then....Click 'Share' Button, Then 'More Share Options', Then 'Copy Internal Link'  ...and now use this link on other sites which allows me to edit which of course then syncs back to the desktop app which is what I use 99% of the time...

You are welcome.  Glad it is sorted for you.

• 3 months later...

The solution that I found to link from another Windows app to the local (Windows) version of Evernote is as follows:

1. Right-click on a note and choose "Copy Internal Link" (or use the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+L).
  2. Click in some empty space in the note you just selected and paste what you just copied to the clipboard (right-click and choose "Paste", or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V).
  3. Right-click on the link that was just created when you pasted into the note and choose "Edit".
  4. Highlight the contents of the "Address" field in the dialog that pops up and copy to the clipboard (click anywhere in the field and press Ctrl+A on the keyboard, followed by Ctrl+C).
  5. Click the "Cancel" button to back out, and delete the linked text you create in Step 2 above.
  6. Go into your target application - Word, Excel, Todoist, whatever... - and paste in the link from the clipboard. You should see a link URL that starts with "evernote:///view".
  7. Save whatever you are doing and you are good to go!

NOTES:

• The first time you click on one of these links in Windows, you may have to say okay to using Evernote for handling these link types in the future.
  • The links you create using the above steps WILL work on mobile platforms such as Android. However, CREATING them will probably remain a LOT easier on Windows.

Hope this helps!

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, sbostin said:

Right-click on a note and choose "Copy Internal Link" (or use the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+L).

On Macs, we can use the option key to force the classic/in-app link

otherwise, the default is a two purpose link

1. classic/in-app link if pasted within Evernote
  2. private browser if pasted outside Evernote

Archived