feature request

Hi, I've been using evernote for more than 5 years. It's great experiences and helped me to remember everything. Since I'm seeing a lot of non-essential features coming along these year. I always felt that there is one important feature that is missing to me while I'm using Evernote. What I need is: a way to add a internal "reference link" when I'm editing a note of some sort which direct me from one note to another note but NOT to the web URL (which is already exist). So that I can quickly find related notes and maybe using a forward backward button to jump back and forth to navigate through my related notes works like a web browser but within Evernote itself.  Call this a "Evernote Link", it would help users like me a lot to relate and reference notes from different notebooks. And please keep good work, leave Evernote clean and easy to use, without cluttering with unnecessary new features, widgets that will make thing complex is slow please.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Jeremy Lu said:

Hi, I've been using evernote for more than 5 years. It's great experiences and helped me to remember everything. Since I'm seeing a lot of non-essential features coming along these year. I always felt that there is one important feature that is missing to me while I'm using Evernote. What I need is: a way to add a internal "reference link" when I'm editing a note of some sort which direct me from one note to another note but NOT to the web URL (which is already exist). So that I can quickly find related notes and maybe using a forward backward button to jump back and forth to navigate through my related notes works like a web browser but within Evernote itself.  Call this a "Evernote Link", it would help users like me a lot to relate and reference notes from different notebooks. And please keep good work, leave Evernote clean and easy to use, without cluttering with unnecessary new features, widgets that will make thing complex is slow please.

Evernote does offer the "Classic Link" to jump to the new note in the app instead of the browser.  This is in the format   evernote:///view/....

I use cross-linking of notes extensively.  It's one of the best features in Evernote

On the Mac, I can force the classic link by pressing the option key when retrieving the note link.  I only need to do this if I'm using the link outside of Evernote; internally it defaults to the classic link.

This is documented at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/note_links.php

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 7.05.07 AM.png

• Level 5*

@jeremy lu

You can right click on a note, select Copy Note Link, go to another note and paste.  The second note will now have a link which will take you to the first note, all inside the desktop version of EN.

Thanks. I do see the note link in the file menu and the right click menu on the note. However, it's not obvious, that's probably I didn't notice. Maybe it's just my own opinion, the way I tend to use it is more like highlight the word while I'm writing or editing a note, and see an option for adding a "notelink", and give me a selection of existing notes I can link to... This leaves me still in context of writing a note without leaving the current note as well as giving me option to name the link differently than the note's title. An another good thing to have is a back and forward button which navigates the note histories. Just my two cents of my input.

And, for me, I'd keep 99% of my notes private until it's necessary to share with someone else then I'll make it sharable. So, pretty much the public note link doesn't help me, sorry.

• Level 5*

You are welcome.

If you want a list of potential notes to link to, you might consider opening the note you are editing in its own window (double click the note).  You could then do a search in your main EN window and copy the links of those notes into the in process note.  You can edit the note links if you like.  Just position the cursor in the note and edit.  You can edit the tool bars in main EN and separate window EN to include back and forward arrows.  The method I mentioned doesn't create any privacy issues since it is just linking notes within EN.  If you share those links with someone else is the only time they would not be private.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Jeremy Lu said:

And, for me, I'd keep 99% of my notes private until it's necessary to share with someone else then I'll make it sharable. So, pretty much the public note link doesn't help me, sorry.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this - the classic link is not public

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I'd liked to try out these work arounds. I think it's because my day time working PC has Windows 7 installed, it's lack of some nice features that Mac version provides...

• 5 months later...

Archived