"Enable Instant Sync"

• 5 weeks later...

+1  I'd like to know also.

Googling doesn't bring up anything accept this thread, really.

---

For the record, I played with this for a few minutes.

With this option enabled, after you edit a note, the individual note gets synced up to the magic Evernote cloud.

I think late versions of 5.x were doing this by default.  If I updated a ton of notes, I'd sometimes like to waste three minutes and slowly watch the "Sync Dots" in the list view slowly disappear. (Ah, the things that entertain us.)  It appears that now you can optionally "instant sync," or, wiht this off, wait for your normal sync / sync time to happen.  

Hey All! The Instant Sync feature will allow your notes to sync to the server as soon as you're done editing them in order to reduce sync conflicts. The sync will occur without you having to hit the sync button or waiting for auto-sync to happen. This will especially come in handy when you are collaborating on shared notes or editing your notes on multiple devices. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, trenchantly said:

It seems to have little difference.

The lack of cooperative editing is making EN look archaic.

To be clear, the "instant" sync is not by keystroke but is within a minute or so of you exiting the note.

• Level 5
10 minutes ago, nohb said:

Hey All! The Instant Sync feature will allow your notes to sync to the server as soon as you're done editing them in order to reduce sync conflicts. The sync will occur without you having to hit the sync button or waiting for auto-sync to happen. This will especially come in handy when you are collaborating on shared notes or editing your notes on multiple devices. 

My question is what is meant by "as soon as you're done editing them"? Does EN check for a specific time with no new input? Or does it wait till I move from editing a note to another area of the program, or move to another note? In the former case, I can imagine mistakes getting synced, which is probably not a problem as long as one fixes them fairly quickly.

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

My question is what is meant by "as soon as you're done editing them"? Does EN check for a specific time with no new input? Or does it wait till I move from editing a note to another area of the program, or move to another note? In the former case, I can imagine mistakes getting synced, which is probably not a problem as long as one fixes them fairly quickly.

My experience is that the note gets queued for syncing when you leave it or if you sit idle for a period (10-15 seconds?).  Once the * appears in the sync column of list view, it's typically another 5-10 seconds before the note is actually synced.  Anecdotal experience is all.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, csihilling said:

My experience is that the note gets queued for syncing when you leave it or if you sit idle for a period (10-15 seconds?).  Once the * appears in the sync column of list view, it's typically another 5-10 seconds before the note is actually synced.  Anecdotal experience is all.

Thanks. Both perfectly reasonable, though I might prefer a little longer timeout than 15 seconds or whatever. I may just be thinking, e.g., thinking about whether my last sentence was total idiocy. :)

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks. Both perfectly reasonable, though I might prefer a little longer timeout than 15 seconds or whatever. I may just be thinking, e.g., thinking about whether my last sentence was total idiocy. :)

You are welcome.  Maybe Keep hitting the space bar???, but that might be more idiocy than anything you could type.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I too was puzzled by this option, so I'm glad of the explanation. I've been plagued by Note Conflicts so hopefully this should help. I've noticed note changes are not "noticed" by the Windows client hours after my android device has synced them, which I find rather concerning. Then again thinking about it, I'm not sure this option will help, but we'll see ...

Now my only question is why is this option not enabled by default i.e. why would anyone want "delayed sync" by default?

On 6/12/2016 at 4:13 PM, mr-b said:

why would anyone want "delayed sync" by default?

I am frequently in an environment where all my Internet is via my cell phone, so I turn off instant sync there.

As for why instant sync is not the default: Evernote is used world wide and I'm sure there are many people in a similar situation as mine, where they have to pay for every byte, one way or another.  Turning on instant sync by default, when it wasn't the default before, could come as a surprising shock.  See also the outrage at Apple's "wifi assist" when it came out, and was enabled by default.

Just my two cents.  I'm just a user.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Larry Clapp said:

I am frequently in an environment where all my Internet is via my cell phone, so I turn off instant sync there.

As for why instant sync is not the default: Evernote is used world wide and I'm sure there are many people in a similar situation as mine, where they have to pay for every byte, one way or another.  Turning on instant sync by default, when it wasn't the default before, could come as a surprising shock.  See also the outrage at Apple's "wifi assist" when it came out, and was enabled by default.

Just my two cents.  I'm just a user.

Instant sync is a desktop client function.  To prevent cellular syncing on a phone/tablet you can check sync only on WiFi in settings. 

29 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Instant sync is a desktop client function.  To prevent cellular syncing on a phone/tablet you can check sync only on WiFi in settings. 

That's true but not the point.  In my case, my laptop is tethered to my cell phone.

Archived