What do these notebook icons mean?

• Level 5

I just updated to Evernote 6, and I have the same two icons next to two (and only two) notebooks. I've found that the first one (the one next to weerdoe's PERSONAL notebook) marks the default notebook. That's handy. But I can't figure out what the second one (next to weerdoe's TRAVEL notebook) means. Mine is also blue; and the name of the notebook is also blue. The arrow pointing toward the right conveys nothing to me. I've checked the notebook's Style and Properties; no help there. Style says the notebook is the default color (but it isn't; it's blue). I checked Modify Notebook Sharing, and found that the notebook had a public link, which I no longer need. I deleted that, but the icon and blue color remain. Anyone have any ideas?

• Level 5*
On April 27, 2016 at 9:48 AM, weerdoe said:

Does anyone know what these two icons mean?

I think this is a Windows "feature" and icons are used to indicate default, shared ... notebooks

• Level 5

But what does the blue icon with the right-pointing arrow mean? Shared or local? AFAIK, my notebook with this icon is neither of those (I removed its public link, but that didn't remove the icon); and I did see that the other icon marks the default.

Let me just add that putting icons on things without telling users what they mean is pretty pointless, not to mention time-wasting for users. I searched the online "Help" :lol: and found nothing.

• Level 5*

The icon with an arrow to the right designates a shared notebook, and the one with a down arrow designates your default notebook.  Don't have any icons for local or other synced notebooks that I can see.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

The icon with an arrow to the right designates a shared notebook, and the one with a down arrow designates your default notebook.  Don't have any icons for local or other synced notebooks that I can see.

Thanks! And in fact, at some point after I removed the public URL from the notebook in question (but not immediately), the icon disappeared. So it's sorted now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/04/2016 at 6:56 PM, csihilling said:

I have such icon - with an arrow to the right - next to a notebook that I have never shared, it is not shared now. Also the notebook's name is typed in blue, and I have no idea what it means.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I know this is a long time after the original question was raised, but suddenly these blue icons also appeared for a couple of my notebooks. 

Those notebooks were not shared, yet the blue icon indicates a shared notebook.

Here's how I solved it.

Select "Properties" by right-clicking on the notebook.

Click on "Sharing and collaboration options" in the pop-up that arises

Then publish the notebook.

Then delete the URL that has just been created.

That's it. The blue icon disappears.

Graham

• 9 months later...

Thank you to Graham for solving this!

On 3/23/2018 at 3:35 AM, GrahamJones said:

I know this is a long time after the original question was raised, but suddenly these blue icons also appeared for a couple of my notebooks. 

Those notebooks were not shared, yet the blue icon indicates a shared notebook.

Here's how I solved it.

Select "Properties" by right-clicking on the notebook.

Click on "Sharing and collaboration options" in the pop-up that arises

Then publish the notebook.

Then delete the URL that has just been created.

That's it. The blue icon disappears.

Graham

Archived