Missing feature List

I'd like to share my "missing feature list" with the community. This list is only the "most wanted" from my side. Please feel free to add your ideas or to give me comments on my list. TIA

RR

1) Management system for attachments (a)view ...inside the note or as attachment (b) sort by drag and drop

2) option to encrypt attachments (similar to the text encryption)

3) ALL options should be available via the desktop version as well as the tablet (android/ios) versions (in modern times the tablet/pads are more and more replacing the desktops, at least, if people are working from remote places. Then it's really a pain in the neck, if the tablet/pads are "handicapped" tools. this means, I have to touch my work twice (after returning to the office).

4) better usability of tags (tag management).  I understood, evernote is made to be organized by tags (notebooks are restricted to 250 afaik).  However, I have serious problems to use my tag structure. I mean, when applying a tag, it only shows an example, if you already put in the starting letters. Nice, however, sometimes I cannot remember what name I gave to this particular tag, which I want to use. So, I suggest that there should be a pop-up of the tag structure during the input-process of tags. It would also help, if there was a permanent window or sidebar (horizontally because of the deeper structure) either as pop up or to call via short-key.....).

5)I was quite happy about the new colour feature for the tags until I opened my tablet and saw that this feature is not reflected there. So I spent almost 2 hours to colour my tags only to find out that evernote has wasted my time one more time. So, I want to emphasize again that ALL features should be available across ALL platforms. Honestly I don't understand whys this is such a problem. So, please, don't announce with big noise new features, which are only on one platform available. Please be aware that more and more the users are NOT "single platform users". Almost all of my friends are at least on two platforms simultaneously (windows + android, or windows + IOS/OSX). Everybody tells me it's very annoying to deal with missing features or too different user-interfaces/options. Yes, we are aware that there are differences between the operating systems, but it is your task to minimize those for the easy life of your users.

6) Export options. To say it with one sentence. It is a must for me have an export option to PDF. The html/xml options are really driving me crazy. If I want to send documents to a a friend/partner, I don't want to force those people to join evernote or even let them know that I use evernote. A neutral but common format like PDF is a MUST.

That's my hot-list. there are plenty of ideas left out, however these are most wanted from my point of view.

Hope to receive some feedback

RR

Edit:

Got aware that my point 2)encryption ....is deeply discussed in many older topics. so, forget it. However, I'd like to make clear that I meant only the option to encrypt a single attachment exactly for the reason to hide it and secure it from the INDEX process.

I am back to use my "own system" which works on all my hardware (windows, android, ios) namely: install open pgp and simply encrypt the file in question. If you want to open it, simply double click and load it in evernote, it will automatically decrypt via open (gnu) pgp.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Ruobin said:

I'd like to share my "missing feature list" with the community. This list is only the "most wanted" from my side. Please feel free to add your ideas or to give me comments on my list.

Your feature requests would be better addressed if they were separate postings in the product feedback forums.

>>I am back to use my "own system" which works on all my hardware (windows, android, ios) namely: install open pgp and simply encrypt the file in question. If you want to open it, simply double click and load it in evernote, it will automatically decrypt via open (gnu) pgp.

I make use of encrypted pdfs. The format is fairly ubiquitous.

>>So, please, don't announce with big noise new features, which are only on one platform available. Please be aware that more and more the users are NOT "single platform users".

So, only implement feature improvements if they're only available on all platforms?
Thats going to slow down new features.

>>It is a must for me have an export option to PDF. The html/xml options are really driving me crazy. If I want to send documents to a a friend/partner, I don't want to force those people to join evernote or even let them know that I use evernote. A neutral but common format like PDF is a MUST.

On my Mac, I have a convert to pdf feature and a print to pdf.  
I would never send a .enex file to a non-en user.
Another option would be to send a public link to your note.
As an export format - pdf isn't great at handling attachments.

I did a research on the forums here: Most of my items from above list are discussed many times .....since years.....

My conclusion : Evernote does not have the intention to implement those features.....for whatever reason...........

So, I am not longer interested in discussing it here. + GURU: Thank you for your input, I appreciate it very much.

Only one example: yes, all features must be available in ALL OSs. If, for example I tell my staff to copy the notes and data (which they need for a meeting or for a customer) to a temp notebook, then they will tell me: I can do this on  a Mac , on my windows PC but not on my Tablet. As I don't want to buy for ALL people desktops AND Tablets ( some really don't need a desktop but Tablets) this feature is useless and I have to change my whole organization according to evernote's capabilities. That's not gonna happen.............

However, I learnt that evernote is on a good way, but not yet ready to replace other business/documents management tools. (Attachment management, Tag management, data security).

Thx again. Discussion closed

RR

On 5/1/2016 at 10:34 AM, Ruobin said:

Discussion closed.

Closed door policy with your staff too?

EDIT: Would have gone to town on suggestions. Not very motivated if the OP is not listening. 

• Level 5*
On 5/1/2016 at 6:34 AM, Ruobin said:

Only one example: yes, all features must be available in ALL OSs. If, for example I tell my staff to copy the notes and data (which they need for a meeting or for a customer) to a temp notebook, then they will tell me: I can do this on  a Mac , on my windows PC but not on my Tablet.

Workaround for this is to create a permanent Temp notebook and move notes in and out as the meetings require.  Not that much different than creating a new temporary notebook each time.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
On May 1, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Ruobin said:

copy the notes and data (which they need for a meeting or for a customer) to a temp notebook

Not sure why a notebook is necessary; unless it is a shared notebook
Generally, notebooks are not a temporary thing

I'd use the shortcut area for this and tag the notes.
It may be a specific tag for the meeting/customer, or a generic Hot Notes tag

>>I can do this on  a Mac , on my windows PC but not on my Tablet.

Its do-able on my iPad.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Not sure why a notebook is necessary; unless it is a shared notebook

I'd use the shortcut area for this and tag the notes.
It may be a specific tag for the meeting/customer, or a generic Hot Notes tag

>>I can do this on  a Mac , on my windows PC but not on my Tablet.

Its do-able on my iPad.

Sometimes it's just easier to move the notes to a temp Notebook and review them there, particularly if you are navigating back and forth outside the note set, as opposed to creating a temporary tag or saved search  Also, in the OPs case, if someone is looking at your device with you the notebook context provides the opportunity to limit what is visible.  Personal use case, I have a notebook named Quick where I move notes when I know I will be accessing the same notes frequently for a time.  When done, I move them back to the main notebook.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Depends on your Evernote organization and workflow.
I have two notebooks that I use on a temporary basis:

1. Inbox
  2. InWork

I might also create a "temporary" notebook for sharing purposes.

One thing that's been brought up a few times before is tag synonyms... to me it's a no brainer.

jbenson2 mentioned their solution here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/94500-tag-synonyms/?do=findComment&comment=398672

but to me that's a laborious method for what should just be a basic feature of pairing tag associations (or having linked or at the very least, inherited tags). Going and deleting very similar but not the same tags frequently is really frustrating - only slightly less frustrating that the suggestion that I have a system that I have to remember for just HOW I've tagged something. 

Hey,

I have used Evernote over one month righ now and I love it! It is very good tool for me. But there is one tool, that I really wish you to create.

A polygon tool.

I edit for example floorplans at the building site very often and mostly I highlight areas. But there is no usable tool for that.

So I would like to get a polygon tool, which can fill the inner area with various colors as the highlighter tool does now.

MS paint has this tool, so I guess it is not a big deal for you?

Archived