Can I move AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases to Dropbox?

I've looked everywhere and I find that you can make a copy of your databases for backup purposes, but what happens if you move that to Dropbox on your local drive instead?  Wouldn't that be a backup.  Dropbox lets you go back and restore files if needed.  

So rather than C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases, just change it to something like C:\Dropbox\Evernote?

• Level 5*
On April 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM, pkdawg said:

I've looked everywhere and I find that you can make a copy of your databases for backup purposes, but what happens if you move that to Dropbox on your local drive instead?  Wouldn't that be a backup.  Dropbox lets you go back and restore files if

I think Windows does allow this but think carefully on your restore procedure.

You won't be able to restore a single note; only the entire database.

My backup process includes a periodic export of my notes.  This could be stored in Dropbox.

• Level 5
On 4/22/2016 at 7:36 PM, pkdawg said:

I've looked everywhere and I find that you can make a copy of your databases for backup purposes, but what happens if you move that to Dropbox on your local drive instead?  Wouldn't that be a backup.  Dropbox lets you go back and restore files if needed.  

This is a very bad idea, please don't try it because this will result in corrupted database. Here's why: while working, Evernote database manager creates so called transaction log files where information is written when database is being updated. These files are created in the same folder as the database file. Evernote expects that it's the only program that manages these files. Now imagine if Dropbox will shuffle them around and database manager will apply unexpected files -- immediate disaster!

• 1 year later...

Archived