New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6) GA

Stephane Lo

Idea

Today, we started rolling out Evernote v6.0 for Windows to the general public.
This is a big milestone for the team, and we couldn’t have gotten here without your continuous input and feedback.

Of course, this is not the end and there is still a lot to do. For instance, we’ve heard the recent comments on Saved Searches. This was an intentional change to simplify the overall experience. We understand it affected the workflow of many people and are bringing this feature in a hotfix release very soon while we continue exploring how to best evolve saved searches to be relevant for a wider audience.

In the meantime, now that v6.0 is officially released, let’s help as many people, new and old, find and enjoy this release. We’d greatly appreciate your support with the public launch of this release, on the blog and on social media!

As usual, please keep sending feedback, suggestions, and use cases our way. Many thanks.

**EDIT: the release is now updated with a 6.0.6 Hotfix**

You can download the updated v6.0.6 here

-----

New in 6.0.6:

• Fixed loss of tag structure on drag and drop of nested tags
  • Fixed bug with subscription expired message 
  • Fixed various crashes

Fixed in 6.0.5:

• Saved Searches are back
    • Find your existing and new saved searches in the left sidebar below Tags
    • Create new saved searches from the left sidebar saved searches section or right-click on the search description
  • Fixed crash on switching Evernote account
  • Fixed crash when importing from OneNote 2016
  • Fixed ENScript exportNotes bug

If you’re updating from v6.0.3 beta:

• Selecting a notebook or tag highlights it in the left side bar. Override this behavior in the settings
  • Added option to trash the original note when copying between Personal and Business.
  • And 30 smaller bugs.

If you're updating from v5.9.9 and below, check out the blog announcement and the release notes.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can I stop the "Let's Get Started!" thing from showing every time I start Evernote? I've tried clicking all the checkboxes in the to do list (create a note, sync, explore, etc.) and it keeps coming back (with "sync" and "explore" unchecked again). It's really bothering me!

Also, every time I open EN, all of my tags and notebook hierarchies are collapsed. It used to remember what I had open and I really miss that.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Most Evernote users don't use tags,

Really?  Peter, you keep astounding me with these user statistics!

You guys just rolled out a huge update on Tags -- inclusion of Child tags in search/filter.  This is huge, and a great benefit to many of us who DO use tags.

So, I suppose it would help to qualify which users are included in the "most" category.

I would imagine, but I have no way of knowing, that with a FREE app, there will be many, many users who download it, use it a few times, and then basically abandon it.  I have done this many times myself with iOS apps.

So, my thought is what about the users who actually use Evernote a reasonable amount of time, let's say at least several times a week, and have been using Evernote for, say, at least 6 months?

It is very hard for me to believe that these users would never use tags.

Tags are probably the most powerful feature of Evernote.  If a lot of users are NOT using tags, then that suggests to me the following:

• Use of tags is NOT very intuitive in the Evernote UI.
  • Evernote is doing a very poor job of marketing and user education.

For perspective, let me add this about myself:  I am a guy who argued for years that Evernote Tags were not a replacement for Notebooks.
After having used Evernote many times a day for years, I just switched (about 4 months ago)  to a tag-based organization (that i call pseudo notebooks), after having used both Notebooks and tags from the beginning.

Tags are one feature that makes Evernote heads-and-shoulders above OneNote.  If "Most Evernote users don't use tags", then may I suggest that Evernote needs to find a way to better market and educate your users.

Finally, Peter, I really appreciate your candor and participation in this forum.  I am not in any way picking on, or blaming you, for all of the Evernote design decisions.  

• Level 5
49 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Really?  Peter, you keep astounding me with these user statistics!

You guys just rolled out a huge update on Tags -- inclusion of Child tags in search/filter.  This is huge, and a great benefit to many of us who DO use tags.

So, I suppose it would help to qualify which users are included in the "most" category.

Stats are for existing users with 500+ notes... it kind of makes sense to expect that with this amount of notes tags become helpful but no, surprisingly large amount of users rely on top-down search over entire note set. Apparently, Evernote does not do job good enough to promote tag usage, and we're trying to change that. One example is changing purely visual tag hierarchy to a functional one, which is actually useful. I'm really glad you're getting it!

59 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Tags are probably the most powerful feature of Evernote.  If a lot of users are NOT using tags, then that suggests to me the following:

• Use of tags is NOT very intuitive in the Evernote UI.
  • Evernote is doing a very poor job of marketing and user education.

We're on the same page and both are actionable items.

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

For perspective, let me add this about myself:  I am a guy who argued for years that Evernote Tags were not a replacement for Notebooks.
After having used Evernote many times a day for years, I just switched (about 4 months ago)  to a tag-based organization (that i call pseudo notebooks), after having used both Notebooks and tags from the beginning.

Interesting! What where the top 3 reasons to make you switch?

Tags are one feature that makes Evernote heads-and-shoulders above OneNote.  If "Most Evernote users don't use tags", then may I suggest that Evernote needs to find a way to better market and educate your users.

True, however before we market and educate, we have to get tags UI right first. Discussions like this help this to happen.

Finally, Peter, I really appreciate your candor and participation in this forum.  I am not in any way picking on, or blaming you, for all of the Evernote design decisions.

Thank you! Please keep the feedback coming: negative feedback is the most actionable one!

• Level 5

How can I stop the "Let's Get Started!" thing from showing every time I start Evernote? I've tried clicking all the checkboxes in the to do list (create a note, sync, explore, etc.) and it keeps coming back (with "sync" and "explore" unchecked again). It's really bothering me!

Also, every time I open EN, all of my tags and notebook hierarchies are collapsed. It used to remember what I had open and I really miss that.

The problems you describe suggest that Evernote cannot write its state to the registry. This is usually because of the security restrictions or some other kind of policy enabled on your computer. I recommend contacting Evernote customer support, they should be able to help you to resolve the problem

16 hours ago, csihilling said:

Links are stilling working for me, so not sure I understand your use case, sorry.  Anyway,

[Solved] - as a long shot I ran an sfc \scannow,

When the links are pasted in HTML documents they are pasted as Hyperlinks - i.e. <href="blah" Title></a>.  I assumed that's what EN Copy Note Link put in the clipboard.  But it doesn't do that, it just puts the URI in the clipboard.  It's only if its pasted into something 'HTML', such as Evernote itself, or a blog post, that the raw URI gets encapsulated in an HTML <a href...> tag.  And the fact that an sfc \scannow fixed my problem means that Windows is somehow involved in the encapsulation process.

Everything into which I paste the links (such as EN itself) is HTML under covers, so I never needed to consider what was actually in the clipboard. 

For me, that's the first time since XP that sfc \scannow even found anything to repair, and maybe the first time ever, that a repair actually solved a specific problem.  I could try to figure out the precise cause of the problem from the CBS logs, but I probably won't unless it happens again.

But I still get that bizarre EN Firefox clipper dialogue - I'll test it on a vanilla profile.  Firefox Extensions often tread on one another's toes.

Added - the bizarre EN Clipper dialogue must be due to another Firefox add on - its OK if I add the clipper to a vanilla profile <sigh>

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, kvitekp said:
3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Interesting! What where the top 3 reasons to make you switch?

Thanks for asking.  After dealing with the limitations of EN Notebooks for years, it suddenly occurred to me that EN Tags could be a good model of hierarchical folders, or of what so many users have asked for, hierarchical Notebooks (i.e. sub-notebooks).

I have no doubt that my epiphany was inspired by the posts of many other users who have, previously, found a way to organize their Evernote account using tags.

What made me switch from using Notebooks as my primary organizational element, to using Tags, is this:

1. There is no material difference in using Notebooks vs Tags in organizing and using Evernote to access the Notes
    1. For details, see Comparison of Using Notebooks vs Tags for organization
  2. OTOH, Tags offer a number of advantages over Notebooks
    1. Virtually unlimited number of tags
    2. Can have as many sub-tags (sub-categories, "sub-notebooks") in the tag hierarchy as you like
    3. Can assign multiple tags to the same note
      (so, for example, a computer asset Note can be referenced by both "Business" and "Personal")
  3. It became clear that Evernote was never going to offer full hierarchical Notebooks (sub-notebooks)
  4. Now that EN Win has an option to include all Child tags in searches/filters, then clicking on a tag will show all Notes for that tag (including any Notes with just a Child tag of that tag), just like clicking on a Notebook will show all notes for that Notebook.

IMO, the barrier that many Evernote users face is the terms of "Notebook" vs "Tag", and what those terms might imply.

Actually, they are just LABELS.  Think about this.  If you were to replace the label "Tag" with "Notebook", and keep all the features just the same, would that provide you with what you want?

My answer is YES!  So I have designed what I call "pseudo notebooks" using Tags.  These pseudo notebooks work just as well as actual EN Notebooks for organizational purposes.  You still will need real EN Notebooks for sharing and mobile offline notebooks.

Notebooks are a unit of storage - if I delete an EN notebook, then it and all the notes in it are deleted. If I delete all the notes in a Notebook I'm left with an empty notebook.  Much like a directory/folder in a file system.

Tags are a means of reference  - if I delete a tag no notes are deleted, if I delete all the notes that reference a tag the tag is deleted, if I remove all the references to a tag the tag is deleted.  Most tagging schemes are likewise ephemeral - i.e. they are created when they're first used and they're deleted when they're no longer used.  It's that characteristic that leads to them being nothing more than a label with a reference count perhaps.

Onenote may not have Evernote's ephemeral tags, but you can set up a keyword vocabularies via keyword notebooks.  And because the keywords are in themselves notes, they can have data, whereas EN tags are a just label.  In ON it's easy to browse from a note into a keyword notebook and establish a link - doing the same thing in EN is awkward and error prone.  With ON keyword notebooks you won't have as many problems with keyword (tag)  proliferation due to misspellings etc.  The phrase 'keyword notebooks' is mine, you wont find it in any ON doco.

I use EN and ON for different purposes, they each have there strengths and weaknesses - eg if I need the notes to be available on Android then I prefer using EN.

• Level 5*

Simple for me, sometimes notes want to "live" in more than one place, can't do that with notebooks but you can with tags.  In other words, a mostly notebook organizational structure makes it difficult to normalize your data (notes).  If you prefer hierarchy, and nothing wrong with that, notebooks are fine.  

Otherwise not so much and tags become the method of organization.  With or without prefixes  Without prefixes for me.  Those tags are also the basis for my search; tag:insurance tag: home for home insurance, tag : insurance for all insurance, etc.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, RightPaddock said:

Notebooks are a unit of storage - if I delete an EN notebook, then it and all the notes in it are deleted. If I delete all the notes in a Notebook I'm left with an empty notebook.  Much like a directory/folder in a file system.

Tags are a means of reference  - if I delete a tag no notes are deleted, if I delete all the notes that reference a tag the tag is deleted, if I remove all the references to a tag the tag is deleted.  Most tagging schemes are likewise ephemeral - i.e. they are created when they're first used and they're deleted when they're no longer used.  It's that characteristic that leads to them being nothing more than a label with a reference count perhaps.

Onenote may not have Evernote's ephemeral tags, but you can set up a keyword vocabularies via keyword notebooks.  And because the keywords are in themselves notes, they can have data, whereas EN tags are a just label.  In ON it's easy to browse from a note into a keyword notebook and establish a link - doing the same thing in EN is awkward and error prone.  With ON keyword notebooks you won't have as many problems with keyword (tag)  proliferation due to misspellings etc.  The phrase 'keyword notebooks' is mine, you wont find it in any ON doco.

I use EN and ON for different purposes, they each have there strengths and weaknesses - eg if I need the notes to be available on Android then I prefer using EN.

Tags don't go away when they are no longer used though. The only thing that differs in your post is the batch delete of all notes when you delete the notebook. But if you take that away, there is only the perspective that tags are nothing but tags that is your limitation.

But if you throw away a physical notebook, it's understandable that all the notepages are gone as well. The thing about Windows folders is that if you delete a folder, it's not actually deleting your files in that folder, the files are moves to the trash bin and only the folder is deleted. If you just alter your perspective, one can say that all files on a Windows computer are placed in the trash bin, but only visible inside the trash if they aren't associated with any tag (windows folder).

7 hours ago, csihilling said:

Simple for me, sometimes notes want to "live" in more than one place, can't do that with notebooks but you can with tags.  In other words, a mostly notebook organizational structure makes it difficult to normalize your data (notes).  If you prefer hierarchy, and nothing wrong with that, notebooks are fine.  

Otherwise not so much and tags become the method of organization.  With or without prefixes  Without prefixes for me.  Those tags are also the basis for my search; tag:insurance tag: home for home insurance, tag : insurance for all insurance, etc.

Yep.  Right on.

This is why I started using tags more WAY back in the day.  For me it was as simple as, "What do I do with this Medical Bill?"  Health Notebook or Bills Notebook?  That broke my system and it's been tags ever since.  Notebooks are more about the type or context of the note.  Is it a document filed away for reference at some point, then put it in my Cabinet notebook.  Is it something I took a picture of while in a store?  Maybe something to purchase later or to give me ideas.  That goes in the Shopping notebook.  I've got a Timeline one for mementos.  All of my documents from FileThis go into their own notebook stack initially.  I also keep my work notes in a separate notebook because that makes sense to me.  I still have some old notebooks I need to clear out, but ideally I would like to get it to maybe half a dozen.

Another plus for me and using tags is both the Mac and Windows clients have shortcut keys for assigning tags.  If there's a shortcut key for changing the notebook on a note, I can't find it....on the Windows client.  The Mac client handles this well.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

For me it was as simple as, "What do I do with this Medical Bill?"  Health Notebook or Bills Notebook? 

That was my organization nightmare pre-Evernote using Windows/Mac folder filing organization.  I embraced tags from day one, and am constantly amazed that users want to duplicate the folder filing structure.

>>Notebooks are more about the type or context of the note.
I don't get it - when/why do you decide to use a notebook or tag?
Why a Shopping Notebook instead of a Shopping Tag? What if the note fits both Shopping and Timeline?
For me the decision is made if I want the notes to be shared/local/offline.  These are notebook features.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

Notebooks are more about the type or context of the note.

Notebooks are about creating simple macro search context for me.  One main and two shared notebooks that are synced, three local notebooks, plus inbox and scans. notebooks.  Even then most of my searches are in All Notes context so I probably could get by with one synced, one local plus inbox and scans.  

I have a question about how Reminders are displayed in the new release. They used to appear at the top of list in a separate box from the other notes. Is that function still available? I do see that you can now sort reminders by three different parameters which is very nice and a great added feature. I'm at a lost on where the separated out reminder section went to. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

• Level 5*

There is a bug in the editor. I clipped a note from the web and wanted to add some text at the bottom. The font dialog says "inherit" which isn't the name of any font on my system. There are two fonts in the note, but they both say "inherit." The sizes are different too, but both say "10" for the size. The one in italics does properly show italics in the tool bar button.

When I go to the bottom of the note, I changed the font to "Calibri" and then turned off italics. However, when I turned off italics, the font changed back to "inherit." If I turn off italics first, then select the font, it works.

EHUnresolved

• Level 5*

Deleting a note doesn't close the note. IMHO, when a note that is open in its own window is deleted (Edit|Delete or trashcan icon), the note should also be closed. I am 99% sure that is how 5.x worked, but 6.x isn't. It remains open with the Delete/Restore buttons active.

This is how most other apps work. Delete an open email and it sends to the trash and closes the email window.

The Mac version does close the note when you hit delete.

keywords: EHUnresolved

• Level 5*

The two-finger swipe up/down on my Surface Pro 4 touchpad just causes the screen to jump around still if I am in the upper right List View of notes. Scrolling through notbooks (left pane) and note bodies (lower right) works fine using the two-finger swipe.

keyword: EHUnresolved

• Level 5*

right-click to move to folders not working for multiple notes. If I select multiple notes, then right-click and select "Move to.." the folder selector shows up but I cannot select one after typing in a few letters to narrow it down. The multi-select window that replaces the body of the notes does work and allows me to select a folder.

• Level 5*
On 3/31/2016 at 11:51 PM, André said:

A thought about notifications from reminders.

The current desktop notifications are fine, but they appear only very shortly. If you happen to be busy with something else or absent, you'll never see them.

Could notifications be collected in the notification area icon of Evernote or in the standard notification bar (Windows 10), please? The icon could be changed to indicate new notification. Thanks!

This is a fundamental problem on iOS and Mac too. Those even have badges to show you you have a reminder, but when you start the app, you are shown nothing. There needs to be a reminder area across all apps to show any reminders that have not been dismissed. We shouldn't have to go hunting.

• Level 5*

I cannot use the DEL key to delete tags in notes. I have to use the mouse to hover over them and click the little "X". WIth the Mac I can do this easily, and I am 99.9% sure it was there in Windows 5.x too.

• Level 5*

One area that is really slow is after annotating an image, when I close the annotation window, it will say "saving...." for up to a minute or two. After I do one, subsequent saves are faster. On iOS and Mac OS X, saves are instant in all cases. This is just a Windows problem.

• Level 5*

When you click on the very bottom of a note, below the text, Evernote should position your cursor at the very last space available in the note to continue typing. This partially works, but in a busted sort of way, and this only applies to notes where the note itself is smaller than the space dictated by the window. If you have to scroll to the bottom, there is no white space below that to click on.

• If the note is not in its own window, but in the note window of the main window, then if you click below in the white space, the cursor moves to last row, but directly above the cursor, not at the last space, so you have to click below and to the right of the text.

51 minutes ago, Chris_n_Arizona said:

I have a question about how Reminders are displayed in the new release. They used to appear at the top of list in a separate box from the other notes. Is that function still available? I do see that you can now sort reminders by three different parameters which is very nice and a great added feature. I'm at a lost on where the separated out reminder section went to. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

I hope this will help you:

evernote screenshot.png

hace 9 minutos, EdH dijo:

There is a bug in the editor. I clipped a note from the web and wanted to add some text at the bottom. The font dialog says "inherit" which isn't the name of any font on my system. There are two fonts in the note, but they both say "inherit." The sizes are different too, but both say "10" for the size. The one in italics does properly show italics in the tool bar button.

When I go to the bottom of the note, I changed the font to "Calibri" and then turned off italics. However, when I turned off italics, the font changed back to "inherit." If I turn off italics first, then select the font, it works.

EHUnresolved

That's been happening to me forever. I guess that's because the clipped text has a font that doesn't exists in your system assigned to it, so it returns you the "inherit" name but sets the default font. In my case, if I change size or style of the font it will change the font name (eg: set bold to text and inherit turns to Helvetica Neue) but if revert those changes, the inherit font appears again.

Is that final word your way to track reported bugs?:P.... I like the idea!

• Level 5*

There is inconsistent usage of how to delete/trash items.

Right-clicking on the following shows "Delete" in the menu:

• notebooks
  • tags

Right-clicking on a note shows "Move to trash"

Hovering over the trash icon in a note shows "Delete" in the tool tip.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, nicobro88 said:

That's been happening to me forever. I guess that's because the clipped text has a font that doesn't exists in your system assigned to it, so it returns you the "inherit" name but sets the default font. In my case, if I change size or style of the font it will change the font name (eg: set bold to text and inherit turns to Helvetica Neue) but if revert those changes, the inherit font appears again.

Is that final word your way to track reported bugs?:P.... I like the idea!

I get "inherit" if the font doesn't exist, but the system shouldn't change me back to inherit after I've selected a font.

Yes, I am going to tag my notes like this then go back and edit them when it is resolved. Tired of posting bugs and glitches and then they get lost when a new version pops up and a new thread starts.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Chris_n_Arizona said:

Reminders should be still visible above the note list in Snippet or Card view,  You do have to be in a context that has a reminder note in it somewhere.  Try one of the two views when in All Notes context and you should see your reminders.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Reminders should be still visible above the note list in Snippet or Card view,  You do have to be in a context that has a reminder note in it somewhere.  Try one of the two views when in All Notes context and you should see your reminders.

Reminders should be visible without having to go look for them. This feature is fundamentally broken in all versions of Evernote. On iOS you get a badge icon, and when you go into the app, nothing. You have no clue what caused the badge icon, so you have to go find something.

On Windows, the popup toast happens, and if you aren't at your desk watching your screen for that 15 seconds, you never know a reminder happened. I cannot remember if the Mac does this or has a badge icon, but same thing - no way to know what caused it.

I don't know how it works on Android, but I cannot imagine it is any better.

The reminder feature is wonderful. The implementation doesn't actually remind you of anything though. I keep track of them in Outlook (used to use Sunrise) where I can actually see them on a calendar and when a reminder fires there, it tells me why and doesn't hide it.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, EdH said:

Reminders should be visible without having to go look for them. This feature is fundamentally broken in all versions of Evernote. On iOS you get a badge icon, and when you go into the app, nothing. You have no clue what caused the badge icon, so you have to go find something.

On Windows, the popup toast happens, and if you aren't at your desk watching your screen for that 15 seconds, you never know a reminder happened. I cannot remember if the Mac does this or has a badge icon, but same thing - no way to know what caused it.

I don't know how it works on Android, but I cannot imagine it is any better.

The reminder feature is wonderful. The implementation doesn't actually remind you of anything though. I keep track of them in Outlook (used to use Sunrise) where I can actually see them on a calendar and when a reminder fires there, it tells me why and doesn't hide it.

Just responding to the OPs question re where to find them in Windows, not solving the reminders implementation opportunities.  ;)

IAC, I very rarely use that reminder list, mostly since I use side list no left panel as my default view.  I have some searches in the shortcuts bar and some PhaseExpress hot keys for reminders (today, late and the like).  Same searches work on IOS shortcuts "bar" as well, so if you put them on the front of the shortcut bar they appear on the IOS EN home screen.  And yeah, having a sticky popup would make sense.

On 5/10/2016 at 10:18 PM, kvitekp said:

The problems you describe suggest that Evernote cannot write its state to the registry. This is usually because of the security restrictions or some other kind of policy enabled on your computer. I recommend contacting Evernote customer support, they should be able to help you to resolve the problem

So far they've had me try checking the items and using File/Exit (which is what I've already done) and even trying a remove/re-install. Neither has worked.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, EdH said:

EHUnresolved

The clipped page probably contains some HTML "tricks" that are confusing our editor. If possible, I recommend using Simplify Note (Ctrl+Space) to clean up and simplify the note's HTML.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, EdH said:

There is inconsistent usage of how to delete/trash items.

Right-clicking on the following shows "Delete" in the menu:

• notebooks
  • tags

Right-clicking on a note shows "Move to trash"

Hovering over the trash icon in a note shows "Delete" in the tool tip.

It seems like the only inconsistency here is the tooltip, which should also say "Move to Trash" (I'll fix that). Notebooks/tags aren't currently placed in the trash, so in that context, "Move to Trash" wouldn't be appropriate. Let me know if I'm misinterpreting, though.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, emerick said:

It seems like the only inconsistency here is the tooltip, which should also say "Move to Trash" (I'll fix that). Notebooks/tags aren't currently placed in the trash, so in that context, "Move to Trash" wouldn't be appropriate. Let me know if I'm misinterpreting, though.

Might want to fix the delete notebook popup in that case.  Interesting, if I try to delete a notebook which has been in place for a while I get the first image.  Create a notebook and delete it I get the second image.  :blink:  What might the difference be?

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip1.png

hace 18 horas, EdH dijo:

I get "inherit" if the font doesn't exist, but the system shouldn't change me back to inherit after I've selected a font.

Also, instead of inherit, if the font doesn't exist it should say the name of the default font which is the one being used in this case.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, AndreasM said:

All the bugs posted by EdH, are your reading EN? It is getting worse, is the new version improvement or steps back? Go to the base EN and fix all the bugs reported for long, very long time, then offer a new version, and do not break things which are working, telling us it is a design change....

If you make a quick list of the pros and cons with v6, it's quite clear that the improvements have a lot more impact. Sure there are some smaller bugs, but most of them have just been carried over from v5. And in this case I rather have HDPI support as quickly as possible than wait for EN to also fix things like formatting problems while printing.

Evolution of a product is sometimes about forcing an old user to do the same operation in a new way. That's not really "breaking things which are working". Like I said before in this thread, physical buttons on phones were definietly working, so why remove them? Sometimes you just have to get used to a new way of doing things even if they feel unnecessary to you.

But if the changes have a serious negative impact on your workflow, I'm sure EN are very eager to hear why. They already said that a new All Tags window is a priority, and that Created date's visibility in a note is coming back, due to user feedback.

Sure EN can collect some basic user data of numbers, like how many notes or tags people have. But I'm pretty sure they are somewhat clueless on how people are actually using EN, except for the minority they speak to or that visit this board. And if they would know more details somehow, I think that would be something to worry about just as much.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, csihilling said:

Might want to fix the delete notebook popup in that case.  Interesting, if I try to delete a notebook which has been in place for a while I get the first image.  Create a notebook and delete it I get the second image.  :blink:  What might the difference be?

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip1.png

Right. The first dialog is for deleting a local (unsynchronized) notebook. The second dialog is for deleting a synchronized notebook. I'll clarify the language in the first dialog to point out that the notebook's local, thanks for mentioning this.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, EdH said:

When you click on the very bottom of a note, below the text, Evernote should position your cursor at the very last space available in the note to continue typing. This partially works, but in a busted sort of way, and this only applies to notes where the note itself is smaller than the space dictated by the window. If you have to scroll to the bottom, there is no white space below that to click on.

• If the note is not in its own window, but in the note window of the main window, then if you click below in the white space, the cursor moves to last row, but directly above the cursor, not at the last space, so you have to click below and to the right of the text.

Thanks for pointing that out, I've entered a ticket to fix that.

• Level 5
23 hours ago, EdH said:

The font name box and font size box are not the same height. See image. Hi-res DPI here. 150% magnification.

It's driving me crazy too. It will be fixed in the next release.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, emerick said:

Right. The first dialog is for deleting a local (unsynchronized) notebook. The second dialog is for deleting a synchronized notebook. I'll clarify the language in the first dialog to point out that the notebook's local, thanks for mentioning this.

Thanks for the explanation.

I think the latest upgrade is actually moving backwards!!  Where is the list of topics I used to be able to look at to find a specific note.  Now when I search I have to remember the title of the topics.  It is nuts!!!

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I think the latest upgrade is actually moving backwards!!  Where is the list of topics I used to be able to look at to find a specific note.  Now when I search I have to remember the title of the topics.  It is nuts!!!

What do you mean by topics list? If you mean search suggestions, they are now placed under the search description (click the down arrow next to the magnifying glass/cross if it's hidden) and they now suggest relevant notebooks containing the topics as well, if you click "several". Depending on your database they might take a second to show, but that seems to eliminate the "hang" while searching in v5. I think it's an improvement, and hopefully something that will soon show tag suggestions as well.

11 hours ago, gustavgi said:

What do you mean by topics list? If you mean search suggestions, they are now placed under the search description (click the down arrow next to the magnifying glass/cross if it's hidden) and they now suggest relevant notebooks containing the topics as well, if you click "several". Depending on your database they might take a second to show, but that seems to eliminate the "hang" while searching in v5. I think it's an improvement, and hopefully something that will soon show tag suggestions as well.

What do you meqn by: " if you click "several". " ?

As an evernote business user I can't now create a new note on the fly unless I select a specific business notebook to create the note in. If I want to create a new note it defaults to my default personal notebook so I can't add business tags, I now have to move the note from personal to business then add the business tags. A big step backwards in productivity. Can business users have an option to create a note in a default business notebook so it is a business note.

• Level 5*

Not the biggest bug in the world, but if you copy/paste from the note title to the search bar, the font size in the search bar changes to what appears to be the size of the note title.  Doesn't happen if you copy/paste a larger font from the body of a note.  Sample below.

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip1.png

On 10-5-2016 at 5:10 AM, ProBookkeeper said:

Please bring back the All Tags Pane and the All Notebooks Pane which used to show to the right of the Left Panel when selecting Tags or Notebooks.

Using the left panel to scroll for Notebooks and Tags doesn't seem as natural.

Could someone tell me why this very useful option is gone. I use it always to keep the (nested)labes organized.
On 5/11/2016 at 10:05 AM, keisoko said:

I hope this will help you:

evernote screenshot.png

Aha, it only works to display reminders in Snippet or Card view. Top List and Side List views do not display reminders. Thanks keisoko for the helpful tip. That answered my question perfectly.

On 26/04/2016 at 1:35 PM, digitalsafaris said:

Just want to add my concern to the loss of the full TAGS page.  I have a deep hierarchy (which will benefit from the ability to display child tags when searching), but when I allocate new tags to a note, they just go to top level.  Then once a month or so I have a tidy, and allocate then to the right place in the hierarchy.  Currently I have two drop down screens of unallocated tags and no easy way to drag and drop them into their right place in the hierarchy.

+10000 ! Same concern here !

• Level 5
On 5/13/2016 at 10:41 AM, csihilling said:

Not the biggest bug in the world, but if you copy/paste from the note title to the search bar, the font size in the search bar changes to what appears to be the size of the note title.  Doesn't happen if you copy/paste a larger font from the body of a note.  Sample below.

I believe this one is already fixed for the next release. Thank you for reporting!

• Level 5*
On 5/13/2016 at 0:41 PM, csihilling said:

Not the biggest bug in the world, but if you copy/paste from the note title to the search bar, the font size in the search bar changes to what appears to be the size of the note title.

Sounds like a newbie developer/coder design flaw.  Obviously, the Search box control should be a plain text control.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sounds like a newbie developer/coder design flaw.  Obviously, the Search box control should be a plain text control.

Yeah, a little quirk in EM_SETTEXTMODE message implementation on Microsoft side -- it requires _empty_ text to be set into control before the setting is accepted. Just initialized control is not enough, one has to literally set empty text into it.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Yeah, a little quirk in EM_SETTEXTMODE message implementation on Microsoft side -- it requires _empty_ text to be set into control before the setting is accepted. Just initialized control is not enough, one has to literally set empty text into it.

;)

@gustavgi, cc: @kvitekp

my god, man. I can't thank you enough for this.

unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem possible to select *multiple* tags once you've 'staged' them in a temporary note ... have you found any similarly effective workaround for selecting multiple tags for hierarchical reorganization?

n. 

On 4/25/2016 at 6:28 AM, gustavgi said:

In the mean time of us waiting for the new All Tags window, there is a "quick" workaround. You either create or use any note, and you tag that note with the tag you want to move. You then drag the tag from the note panel where the note is tagged, into the place in the left panel where you want it to be.

Look great

Have not had the time yet to poke around and see what it can yet.
One thing I did find however, is that I am not able to decide where the Note Panel appears.

In List view, it appear below the list.   In snippet and Card view, is is on the right.

As I remember I used to be able to select where it should be, but now I cannot find the option.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Homegrown said:

In List view, it appear below the list.   In snippet and Card view, is is on the right.

As I remember I used to be able to select where it should be, but now I cannot find the option.

In Windows this menu is accessed from the drop down to the left of the search box.

menu.jpg

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, nopivnick said:

@gustavgi, cc: @kvitekp

my god, man. I can't thank you enough for this.

unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem possible to select *multiple* tags once you've 'staged' them in a temporary note ... have you found any similarly effective workaround for selecting multiple tags for hierarchical reorganization?

n. 

Well I wouldn't call it "effective", but if you have 20 tags that you want to move to the same location, I would select 19 of them in the left panel and drag them onto the 20th, to make that 20th a temporary parent. You then tag the temporary note with only that parent tag, and then drag and drop that parent tag from the note into the desired destination in the left panel. At this point all the children tags will be moved as well and they are all preselected, so you just drag them onto the actual desired parent tag.

Hopefully that made sense.

All-in-all I really like the new Evernote 6 for Windows.  My only complaint, and it's a big one, is that I can no longer see my reminder date & time embedded in the note header like before.  You've got to click on the drop-down and then click on the "change date" to see when, or if, you scheduled a reminder.  I use the reminder feature quite a lot to manage projects. When I am suveying all my tasks, I often tweak the reminder dates based on new deadlines or other information. I know that you can see the reminders in the column list in snippet view, but I'd also really like to see it embedded in the note header as I am updating each note.

• Level 5*
On 5/14/2016 at 2:04 PM, Chris_n_Arizona said:

Aha, it only works to display reminders in Snippet or Card view. Top List and Side List views do not display reminders. Thanks keisoko for the helpful tip. That answered my question perfectly.

You can display reminders in list view if you do a reminder search.  You can display remindertime as a column as well.  FWIW.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, srussey said:

All-in-all I really like the new Evernote 6 for Windows.  My only complaint, and it's a big one, is that I can no longer see my reminder date & time embedded in the note header like before.  You've got to click on the drop-down and then click on the "change date" to see when, or if, you scheduled a reminder.  I use the reminder feature quite a lot to manage projects. When I am suveying all my tasks, I often tweak the reminder dates based on new deadlines or other information. I know that you can see the reminders in the column list in snippet view, but I'd also really like to see it embedded in the note header as I am updating each note.

Right click on the (I) button in the note toolbar, choose Customize Toolbar and drag the Reminder button (looks like a clock) to the left of the (I) button to add Reminder button to the note toolbar. After that you'll have your reminders just like before.

For the moment I have two big problems now. I use Evernote to organize files and notes but primarily to implement GTD.

One advantage now is that tags are not lost in the toolbar, but on the other hand the title is lost now. It is best not to lose any of them, but title is most important I think, specially in GTD because I write my tasks in titles to see it in the Note List. Step behind here.
Also, titles were in connection with notes before, and now they are separated with other information between: something counterintuitive.
My productivity was very damaged with this change.

Other problem now is the trash icon. If it is at the bottom of sidebar is difficult to access it. I have to down by all my sidebar with so much notebooks and tags unfolded. Really difficult to drag and drop so. Specially in GTD, anew, where drag and drop is very important.
Before there was the same problem but it was less unconfortable to use because trash icon was "only" at the bottom of notebooks.
Please, I need an option to have the trash icon in a comfortable place for drag and drop notes.

• Level 5*

If you are referencing emptying the trash, it you press F10 to close the left panel the trash icon becomes visible in a strip on the left.  You can then right click to empty the trash and F10 to display the left panel again.

If you are referencing deleting notes, you can also delete notes by 1) right clicking and selecting move to trash or 2) adding the Trash icon to the main toolbar and click it when the note to be deleted is highlighted.

ScreenClip.png

hace 14 horas, csihilling dijo:

If you are referencing emptying the trash, it you press F10 to close the left panel the trash icon becomes visible in a strip on the left.  You can then right click to empty the trash and F10 to display the left panel again.

If you are referencing deleting notes, you can also delete notes by 1) right clicking and selecting move to trash or 2) adding the Trash icon to the main toolbar and click it when the note to be deleted is highlighted.

ScreenClip.png

I am referencing deleting notes. But in the way on drag and drop notes. Move notes between notebooks is more fluid in this way.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, pepemacias said:

For the moment I have two big problems now. I use Evernote to organize files and notes but primarily to implement GTD.

One advantage now is that tags are not lost in the toolbar, but on the other hand the title is lost now. It is best not to lose any of them, but title is most important I think, specially in GTD because I write my tasks in titles to see it in the Note List. Step behind here.
Also, titles were in connection with notes before, and now they are separated with other information between: something counterintuitive.

You might want to explain this a bit further, as it is hard to understand what you are refering to. In what way are titles "lost", but tags are "not lost" in the toolbar? Are you talking about Shortcuts?

And what do you mean that titles were in connection with notes, and now there is information in between? It sounds to me like you are refering to the columns in Top list/Side list-view, and those can be ordered manually by dragging and dropping the column at the top.

16 hours ago, pepemacias said:

Other problem now is the trash icon. If it is at the bottom of sidebar is difficult to access it. I have to down by all my sidebar with so much notebooks and tags unfolded. Really difficult to drag and drop so. Specially in GTD, anew, where drag and drop is very important.
Before there was the same problem but it was less unconfortable to use because trash icon was "only" at the bottom of notebooks.
Please, I need an option to have the trash icon in a comfortable place for drag and drop notes.

Like you are saying, It is far from optimal to use a drag and drop to delete a note now, but it was also far from optimal before because the trash icon was at the bottom of notebooks.

I suggest that you use a way more GTD-friendly operation for deleting notes.

I suggest you either use the tips mentioned above, where you delete a note by a single click on the trash icon in the toolbar, or right click on the note and click "move to trash". You can also press the Delete-button on the keyboard when the note is selected, to move it to trash.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, pepemacias said:

I am referencing deleting notes. But in the way on drag and drop notes. Move notes between notebooks is more fluid in this way.

Okay, thanks for clearing it up.  For me where I don't keep the left panel open, the trash icon in the tool bar is a pretty fluid process.  Less error prone as well, I can't drop the note in the wrong place.  FWIW

• Level 5
On 5/19/2016 at 10:38 AM, pepemacias said:

Just type in your tasks title in the first line of the note body and it will automatically become the note's title. It's actually even easier than before and title is more coupled with the note itself. Our GTD people love it.

On 5/19/2016 at 10:38 AM, pepemacias said:

If you need instant access to Trash with mouse, the best thing to do is to add Trash to Shortcuts: right click Trash item in the left panel and choose "Add to Shortcuts". You may also want to show your shortcuts in toolbar, so that they are always there at the top of the application window, one mouse click away. Unfortunately, the current version of Evernote does not allow you dragging notes to the Trash Shortcut, however this bug is already fixed and next beta due to be published next week will have it working as expected.

On 20/5/2016 at 15:11, csihilling dijo:

Okay, thanks for clearing it up.  For me where I don't keep the left panel open, the trash icon in the tool bar is a pretty fluid process.  Less error prone as well, I can't drop the note in the wrong place.  FWIW

Yes, you are right about that way is less error prone. But for me it would also be necesary to drag and drop into the trash because it is the way I use to move notes between notebooks. And so I would not have to stop drag and drop to move a note to the trash. In my case, having to change the way moving notes to make a particular movement means a loss of fluidity. I tried to put trash in shortcuts but notes can not be dragged and dropped there, this way only creates shortcuts to notes.

On 20/5/2016 at 12:38, gustavgi dijo:

You might want to explain this a bit further, as it is hard to understand what you are refering to. In what way are titles "lost", but tags are "not lost" in the toolbar? Are you talking about Shortcuts?

And what do you mean that titles were in connection with notes, and now there is information in between? It sounds to me like you are refering to the columns in Top list/Side list-view, and those can be ordered manually by dragging and dropping the column at the top.

Thit is what I mean when I say that titles can lose now in toolbar:

dvmxdd.jpg

Titles did not have this problem before, but tags did.

On the other hand, titles were here before:

fnwuw9.jpg

And now there are tags and text editing bar between title and note.

hace 1 hora, kvitekp dijo:

If you need instant access to Trash with mouse, the best thing to do is to add Trash to Shortcuts: right click Trash item in the left panel and choose "Add to Shortcuts". You may also want to show your shortcuts in toolbar, so that they are always there at the top of the application window, one mouse click away. Unfortunately, the current version of Evernote does not allow you dragging notes to the Trash Shortcut, however this bug is already fixed and next beta due to be published next week will have it working as expected.

Yes I am saying just that in my previous post. Thanks.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, pepemacias said:

Yes, you are right about that way is less error prone. But for me it would also be necesary to drag and drop into the trash because it is the way I use to move notes between notebooks. And so I would not have to stop drag and drop to move a note to the trash. In my case, having to change the way moving notes to make a particular movement means a loss of fluidity. I tried to put trash in shortcuts but notes can not be dragged and dropped there, this way only creates shortcuts to notes.

Okay.  Another thought, you can also press the delete key when the note is highlighted to delete it.  But it sounds like you are mouse centric when working your lists...

On 4/23/2016 at 9:06 AM, JMichaelTX said:

@Stephane Lo, have you done ANY usability testing with a large number of tags, say > 1,000?

After all, Evernote does state it will support up to 100,000 tags.  Can you say, with a straight face, the EN Win will actually do this?

The old design of the Tags View was poor, but this is a disaster for management of a large number of tags.

IAC, please include a much functionality as you can in the right-click context menu for Tags in the Left Side Panel:

Tag List -- Right-click on any tag to:

• Move under Parent Tag (provides Tag selection like with the Tag Filter)
  • Move to Top Level
  • Rename
  • Delete
  • Assign to Selected Notes
  • UnAssign from Selected Notes
  • Unassign from All Notes
  • Collapse/Expand All below this Tag
  • Create Shortcut

Right-click on "Tags" icon/banner
  • Create Tag
  • Find Tag
  • Include Child Tags in Searches (check on/off)
  • Assign Selected Tags to New Notes (check on/off)
  • Sort by Name (check on/off)
  • Sort by Note Count (check on/off)

Couldn't agree more. Many-a-times I create new tags on the fly directly on a note. When you have nearly 1000 tags try moving the newly created tag to the desired position in the tag tree. The right-click options proposed here sound great. Moving a tag to a parent should be straight-forward - notice how the same thing works in Gmail labels?

When I search for a tag I don't even know which parent it is nested under. To move a tag created on a note I need to painstakingly scroll through 1000 entries to figure out the location where I want to place it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jookman said:

Couldn't agree more. Many-a-times I create new tags on the fly directly on a note. When you have nearly 1000 tags try moving the newly created tag to the desired position in the tag tree. The right-click options proposed here sound great. Moving a tag to a parent should be straight-forward - notice how the same thing works in Gmail labels?

When I search for a tag I don't even know which parent it is nested under. To move a tag created on a note I need to painstakingly scroll through 1000 entries to figure out the location where I want to place it.

in the new beta out now you will find both the All Tags view back, and in the registry a hidden function which jumps your left panel to the exact spot among your notebooks/nested tags where the search result is located (like in v4.7-4.9)

• Level 5*
On 4/23/2016 at 0:42 PM, kvitekp said:

Yup, this is a bug, thank you for reporting.

Just loaded 6.1.1 prelease and noticed that this bug is still there.  Would be very nice if this could make it into the GA version.  By the way, I like the new zoom in and out controls.  Wasn't something I thought I needed, but now that I've tried it, I will definitely be using it, especially when presenting material.

• Level 5
7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:
On 4/23/2016 at 9:42 AM, kvitekp said:

Yup, this is a bug, thank you for reporting.

Just loaded 6.1.1 prelease and noticed that this bug is still there.

Assuming you're talking about missing styling for notebooks and tags in shortcuts section of the left pane -- it seems to work as expected here: notebooks and tags shortcuts in the left panel are now rendered with the selected style.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Assuming you're talking about missing styling for notebooks and tags in shortcuts section of the left pane -- it seems to work as expected here: notebooks and tags shortcuts in the left panel are now rendered with the selected style.

No, my comment was about Shortcuts and Saved Searches in the left pane not having the style options that notebooks and tags have.  There are Shortcuts, Notebooks, Tags and Saved Searches in the left pane.  It would be very handy if style options were available for all these groups and not just Notebooks and Tags.

• Level 5
Just now, s2sailor said:

No, my comment was about Shortcuts and Saved Searches in the left pane not having the styling options that notebooks and tags have.  There are Shortcuts, Notebooks, Tags and Saved Searched in the left pane.  It would be very handy if styling options were available for all these groups.

Shortcuts are rendered with the same style as the item the shortcut is referring to. As for Saved Searches styling -- still looking into this. The Item Styles feature got a lot of positive feedback so now we're looking at how we can extend it to all other clients. Doing this across the service and multiple clients takes more time than Windows client beta release cycle.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Shortcuts are rendered with the same style as the item the shortcut is referring to. As for Saved Searches styling -- still looking into this. The Item Styles feature got a lot of positive feedback so now we're looking at how we can extend it to all other clients. Doing this across the service and multiple clients takes more time than Windows client beta release cycle.

Thanks for the response Peter.  I understand the comment on Saved Searches styling, but I'm not following on Shortcuts.  In the left pane, for example, I would like a specific shortcut to show in a bold red font.  This is a shortcut to a specific note.  I don't see how to change the note such that the shortcut title in the left pane can be bold red and a right mouse button on the shortcut name in the left pane does not show a style option.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Thanks for the response Peter.  I understand the comment on Saved Searches styling, but I'm not following on Shortcuts.  In the left pane, for example, I would like a specific shortcut to show in a bold red font.  This is a shortcut to a specific note.  I don't see how to change the note such that the shortcut title in the left pane can be bold red and a right mouse button on the shortcut name in the left pane does not show a style option.

It's not that shortcuts don't have styles, but it's the fact that notes don't have styles. Tags and Notebooks have styles, and their styles will show in Shortcuts as well. What you are asking for is to be able to add styles to notes. As notes are not "metadata" in the same way, my guess is that this would be problematic.

And with the fact that you are not allowed to have more than 255 styles at this point, people would sooner reach this limit if they were to apply to single notes as well.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

but it's the fact that notes don't have styles

The majority of my short cuts are saved searches and not notes.  I should not have used the note example.  I see the problem with adding styles to individual notes and I'm not requesting that.  My individual note shortcuts could be easily changed to a saved search, so I guess what is really desired is a way to style saved searches and as Peter mentioned, they are looking into it.

• Ex Employees
On 5/24/2016 at 2:41 AM, Jookman said:

When I search for a tag I don't even know which parent it is nested under. To move a tag created on a note I need to painstakingly scroll through 1000 entries to figure out the location where I want to place

The all tag view that is now back with the 6.1.1. This should allow you to see where the child tags are. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gustavgi said:

It's not that shortcuts don't have styles, but it's the fact that notes don't have styles.

I'm not sure that is the case.  Shortcuts are displayed using their own UI control, which could be designed to allow user styling of whatever is in that control.

On 25.5.2016 at 9:27 PM, s2sailor said:

The majority of my short cuts are saved searches and not notes.  I should not have used the note example.  I see the problem with adding styles to individual notes and I'm not requesting that.  My individual note shortcuts could be easily changed to a saved search, so I guess what is really desired is a way to style saved searches and as Peter mentioned, they are looking into it.

I agree with s2sailor. Most of my 50-70 shortcuts are saved searches (time-based or topic-based or a combination of both (e.g. projects uncompleted ="tag:project*   todo:false" or   appointments current week = "reminderTime:week -reminderTime:week+1 -tag:"XYZ"). It would be great to structure those shortcut list by style.

When editing a note in a separate window, before version 6, I used the shortcut key "F3" to edit tags in a note. Hitting "F3" I could write the first characters of a new tag and add it quickly, and hitting left and right navigation keys I could select tags to delete from a note.

After version 6 update this don't work anymore. Do you have any plan do add this feature again? It's a little unproductive to edit my note tags in CTRL+ALT+T window. 

Post script: Sorry for my poor english. :blush:

• Level 5*

Apologies if this has been reported before (not gonna check through 16 pages...) but there's one thing bugging me about the 'new' Evernote Windows - which I assume includes the (Office) Outlook Clipper;  it's followed me through the last couple of updates,  and I'm now on 6.1.1.  I know there's a 6.1.2 out there - currently downloading - so double apologies if this is already fixed.  But the issue is:

1. Clip an Email or part of an email from Outlook
  2. The clip (optionally) opens in an Outlook window ready for tags,  comments etc to be added and notebooks to be assigned.
  3. Edit the title of the note
  4. Every single tap of the spacebar generates two screen spaces so this text comes out  as  this  text.
  5. Accept that window and the separate (again optional) Evernote new note confirmation window opens.

Not a huge deal,  but it is annoying and untidy - especially for shared notes/ notebooks.

If it's not on the radar yet guys,  please add it to the list - you'd make me a happy(er) man..  ;)

On 4/22/2016 at 11:31 PM, Cao Yi said:

The new version 6.0 does not contain the 'All Tags' page, which I need for my hundreds tags.

(THANKS TO EVERNOTE TEAM, IT'S BACK AT VERSION 6.1.2!)

tags_evernote2.png

On 4/22/2016 at 11:31 PM, Cao Yi said:

The new version 6.0 does not contain the 'All Tags' page, which I need for my hundreds tags.

tags_evernote2.png

On 5/11/2016 at 0:50 PM, EdH said:

Deleting a note doesn't close the note. IMHO, when a note that is open in its own window is deleted (Edit|Delete or trashcan icon), the note should also be closed. I am 99% sure that is how 5.x worked, but 6.x isn't. It remains open with the Delete/Restore buttons active.

This is how most other apps work. Delete an open email and it sends to the trash and closes the email window.

The Mac version does close the note when you hit delete.

I just signed up for the forum to echo this point -- I've used Evernote for years and this is annoying. If I delete the note it means I'm done with it -- I don't want to have to take an extra step of closing the note. Yes, this is the most first-world of all first-world problems. Still!

• Level 5*
On 26/07/2016 at 8:32 PM, SarahSP said:

I just signed up for the forum to echo this point -- I've used Evernote for years and this is annoying. If I delete the note it means I'm done with it -- I don't want to have to take an extra step of closing the note. Yes, this is the most first-world of all first-world problems. Still!

Hi,  I'm using the latest beta version 6.2.2 but I can confirm this is still the case.  Worse,  if you set up a test note,  open it in its own window and then delete the note in the list window,  it's possible to go on typing in that note window and close it without any warning that the new work won't be saved anywhere.  The note in the trash only contains the text typed before the point at which it was deleted.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi,  I'm using the latest beta version 6.2.2 but I can confirm this is still the case.  Worse,  if you set up a test note,  open it in its own window and then delete the note in the list window,  it's possible to go on typing in that note window and close it without any warning that the new work won't be saved anywhere.  The note in the trash only contains the text typed before the point at which it was deleted.

Well, I didn't think this bug could be worse, but it is! :wacko:

On 28/7/2016 at 1:53 AM, EdH said:

Well, I didn't think this bug could be worse, but it is! :wacko:

Does anybody know if Evernote is going to fix this? It's really irritating and interrupts the agility of usage.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, IanHinton said:

Does anybody know if Evernote is going to fix this? It's really irritating and interrupts the agility of usage.

Hi - Evernote don't (usually) share what's being worked on,  or give release dates in advance.  If everyone who suffers from the problem sends in a bug report,  that might concentrate their mind a little - it wouldn't hurt to quote this thread URL as a reference.  I'll try to get the posts on this moved to a separate 'Feeback' thread,  and then maybe we can get some votes recorded specifically about this bug too...

I don't know where to post this because for some reason I couldn't make a ticket and overall I'm just flummoxed by the poor performance of evernote. My lab might move to full plan pricing integration whatever ... ( sigh ), so I'm trying to get this to work. I'm on Windows 8, and evernote crashes constantly. Right now I can't even get the thing to open - it claims its open. Managed to kill it with task manager and it loaded again. It seems to happen whenever my network connection changes (i go between ethernet and wifi a lot). Or when my monitor config changes (plugging and unplugging monitors from a laptop to, you know, go take notes on my laptop). 

I'm assuming a good solution is to just use the web app? 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, mfarrell said:

I don't know where to post this because for some reason I couldn't make a ticket and overall I'm just flummoxed by the poor performance of evernote. My lab might move to full plan pricing integration whatever ... ( sigh ), so I'm trying to get this to work. I'm on Windows 8, and evernote crashes constantly. Right now I can't even get the thing to open - it claims its open. Managed to kill it with task manager and it loaded again. It seems to happen whenever my network connection changes (i go between ethernet and wifi a lot). Or when my monitor config changes (plugging and unplugging monitors from a laptop to, you know, go take notes on my laptop). 

I'm assuming a good solution is to just use the web app? 

I would suspect a corrupted install of the app or database.
My solution would be to remove the app; remove the database
Then reinstall and let EN rebuild the local database

On 5/5/2016 at 10:26 AM, jshanker said:
One side effect I'm noticing of the move away from a gray border around the note space to being white on white is that there's no longer any indication of where I can click to put my cursor into a note. In v5 I could see the white space of the note between the last word of the note and the gray space outside. Clicking anywhere in that white put my cursor at the end of the note and I could begin writing.

In v6 I have to click very close to the end of the existing note content (like within 1 row) in order to insert the cursor, otherwise I'm clicking in what used to be the gray space and nothing happens.

This applies to new notes as well. In prior versions I had a large space to click in to begin editing a new note, now I have a very narrow space available and no visual indicator of where that space is.

Compare this to MS Word, where if you click anywhere on a page, even if there's only one word at the top of the page, it puts your cursor in the last line of the existing text and lets you start editing.

@jshanker: Has there been any response to this? I just started using Evernote this week and immediately found this to be a point of frustration. Current version is 6.5.4.4720

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, zerodeficit said:

@emerick Has there been any update to this? I am still having the issue with 6.5.4.4720

Hi.  We're a -mainly- user-supported forum,  not a direct line to the company.  If you didn't already do so,  reach out to Support on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new if you;re a paying subscriber or Twitter https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  if not.  Better anyway to post in the release thread for the app you're having problems with -

- and have you already tried DTLow's suggestion of rebuilding the app and the database from scratch?

Archived