New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6) GA

Stephane Lo

Idea

Today, we started rolling out Evernote v6.0 for Windows to the general public.
This is a big milestone for the team, and we couldn’t have gotten here without your continuous input and feedback.

Of course, this is not the end and there is still a lot to do. For instance, we’ve heard the recent comments on Saved Searches. This was an intentional change to simplify the overall experience. We understand it affected the workflow of many people and are bringing this feature in a hotfix release very soon while we continue exploring how to best evolve saved searches to be relevant for a wider audience.

In the meantime, now that v6.0 is officially released, let’s help as many people, new and old, find and enjoy this release. We’d greatly appreciate your support with the public launch of this release, on the blog and on social media!

As usual, please keep sending feedback, suggestions, and use cases our way. Many thanks.

**EDIT: the release is now updated with a 6.0.6 Hotfix**

You can download the updated v6.0.6 here

-----

New in 6.0.6:

• Fixed loss of tag structure on drag and drop of nested tags
  • Fixed bug with subscription expired message 
  • Fixed various crashes

Fixed in 6.0.5:

• Saved Searches are back
    • Find your existing and new saved searches in the left sidebar below Tags
    • Create new saved searches from the left sidebar saved searches section or right-click on the search description
  • Fixed crash on switching Evernote account
  • Fixed crash when importing from OneNote 2016
  • Fixed ENScript exportNotes bug

If you’re updating from v6.0.3 beta:

• Selecting a notebook or tag highlights it in the left side bar. Override this behavior in the settings
  • Added option to trash the original note when copying between Personal and Business.
  • And 30 smaller bugs.

If you're updating from v5.9.9 and below, check out the blog announcement and the release notes.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Evernote,

I am fairly new to your product and I have a question regarding the tagging.  My boss had recently shared with me two or more notebooks wherein I can edit on it.  I was tasked to tag certain notes under a notebook where there has not been any tags.  The tags i type in vanishes and does not stick to the note when in fact I can see the tag directory created by my boss.  According to information, only tags in this notebook can be added to the notes.  What should i do?

I have tried creating tags in the other notebook that has numerous tags in it and transfer the note to the other notebook, but the tag vanishes.  I am at a lost.  Please advice me what I can do.

Thank you.

congradulations to the team for sure!
you are all doing a major service to humanity imo.
i just updated to the the new 6.0+ and looks beautiful.  
i am excited to see what has changed under the hood aswell.
i am a bit saddened that shortcuts got merged with the toolbar.  now if i want to keep my shortcuts uptop (which I do) I have to decide between shortcuts and toolbar items like sync, all notes.  as they take up now the limited space for my shortcuts.
can they be seperated? they seem to be locked in place, and i cant see to expand it down. 
my shortcuts are my go to and its sad they got slashed.

edit:
the shortcut issues have been completely mitigated since learning of AHK and using that to operate evernote.

I just upgraded to the new v6.06 release of Evernote for Windows and I am horrified that you've moved the Shortcuts bar from the left-hand column to a horizontal toolbar! WHY!?!?!?! It no longer fits everything in, note names don't full display, and I can't restore it. I used to order items on the left hand column, had plenty of vertical and horizontal space. It was MUCH better the way it was. I don't often come in here to complain but I am IMMEDIATELY driven to voice my frustration at this seemingly innocuous change which is really, Really bothering me. I haven't even looked any deeper than this change yet.

Hello, this is my first post. First of all, I'm a PhD student and Evernote changed my life so thanks to all the developers!

This morning I updated to version 6.0.6.1769 on my Windows 7 computer and there seems to be a bug. I often create notes from pictures taken with my Blackberry Classic using the EN app. It seems that for those notes the images appear as attachment when I open the note, although if I drag and drop it at the same place the image will appear inline (as it should be). Now if I close the note and open it again the image will be shown as attachment again which is a bit annoying.. Is it a known bug? I've read this thread but found nothing similar.

Thank you !

EDIT : The image format is .jpg

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TuftyMcTavish said:

I just upgraded to the new v6.06 release of Evernote for Windows and I am horrified that you've moved the Shortcuts bar from the left-hand column to a horizontal toolbar! WHY!?!?!?! It no longer fits everything in, note names don't full display, and I can't restore it. I used to order items on the left hand column, had plenty of vertical and horizontal space. It was MUCH better the way it was. I don't often come in here to complain but I am IMMEDIATELY driven to voice my frustration at this seemingly innocuous change which is really, Really bothering me. I haven't even looked any deeper than this change yet.

The placement of shortcuts has since a long time been a user setting choice and it still is. Just right click the shortcut bar and select left panel.

I am using three evernote accounts. In the add user button only two accounts are being stored. This is in EN 6.0.6.1769 (windows). The three accounts are part of my daily workflow. Please review and allow to store in the user switch more than two accounts.

On 5/2/2016 at 8:40 AM, Kevin Becklin said:

I'm having the exact same problem.

I was told this morning that EN no longer supports Outlook 2007 - that is a bummer. Not sure how that decision was made

• Level 5*

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 1:31 PM, gustavgi said:
And as I've mentioned before, if I could ask for only one feature only it would be to bring back the connection between tag/notebook search and the left panel, where a tag search would expand the tag hierarchy and jump to the selected tag in the left panel. Hence the term "jump to". I found the blog post where this was introduced in v4 back in the day It was immensely helpful if you have a tag hierarchy.

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 6:30 PM, kvitekp said:

Notebook/Tag Pickers select the chosen notebook and tag in the left panel, however if the selected notebook or tag happen to be in collapsed hierarchy, the selection is not visible. This is a bug, the client should automatically expand the hierarchy to make the selection visible. Thank you for reporting.

I made a short vid showing how the left panel was auto-scrolling and auto-expanding when picking a tag. Hopefully there is some progress on the "expanding bug" you are refering to, but I wouldn't mind an implementation of the old auto-scroll code as well.

Even when hiding the "! sub child tag" two levels deep, the jump in the left panel was instant.

Definitely miss the Atlas feature and hope it will be brought back.  That feature was one of the key things that attracted me to Evernote in the first place (among other things, I use it as a place to gather real estate listings and recreational opportunities - ability to view these on a map is essential).

I love the new design. Just one problem. All the tags show up, regardless of the notebook I highlight. I wish only the tags associated with a particular notebook would show up. I can't remember which ones go with which notebook. So it's hard to find my notes. Can this be fixed?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ggilmore48 said:

I love the new design. Just one problem. All the tags show up, regardless of the notebook I highlight. I wish only the tags associated with a particular notebook would show up. I can't remember which ones go with which notebook. So it's hard to find my notes. Can this be fixed?

If you select a notebook and you have "search explanation" checked in the View menu, the tag icon with a magnifying glass above the note list shows only the tags in that notebook.

I downloaded the new Evernote 6.06 update yesterday and it went fine. Today when I logged in it said it wanted to run the Evernote 6.06 installer, so I clicked OK. I now have 2 Evernote icons sitting on my taskbar. How do I get rid of one?

Was working fine before I updated recently, now the organization is different and search doesn't work.  Can't find anything now unless I go to All notes and thumb through a known notebook.  Wish I could go back, nothing wrong until yesterdays update.

I'd like to add my voice to the "All Tags" Removal.

When I create a new tag it's typically while creating or editing a note. At some point in the future I go to the All Tags window and sort and organize the new tags. The absence of the "All Tags" view is disrupting that workflow. Going back and sorting tags in a vertically scrolling list is far more difficult than being able to spread the "All Tags" window into a big window to sort the new tags or re-organize others. 

This change has altered my workflow within the first day or so of using it. I now find that when adding new tags it is easier to go to the tags list and navigate to the location where I want the new tag to reside and then create it. I then go back to my note and reenter that new tag in the note. I'm finding this additional step disruptive when working on a note and adding new tags.

All because it has become tedious to navigate the tags list. I'm being torn away from my note editing to deal with sorting a tag.

I must have the "All Tags" view back.  Evernote and my system for tracking info is simply unworkable without this view.  I need to be able to move and nest tags.  Bring this back yesterday.  

12 hours ago, sjkeegs said:

I'd like to add my voice to the "All Tags" Removal.

When I create a new tag it's typically while creating or editing a note. At some point in the future I go to the All Tags window and sort and organize the new tags. The absence of the "All Tags" view is disrupting that workflow. Going back and sorting tags in a vertically scrolling list is far more difficult than being able to spread the "All Tags" window into a big window to sort the new tags or re-organize others. 

This change has altered my workflow within the first day or so of using it. I now find that when adding new tags it is easier to go to the tags list and navigate to the location where I want the new tag to reside and then create it. I then go back to my note and reenter that new tag in the note. I'm finding this additional step disruptive when working on a note and adding new tags.

All because it has become tedious to navigate the tags list. I'm being torn away from my note editing to deal with sorting a tag.

+1. Good example.

Hi all,

Was just upgraded and now the outlook clipper is throwing a "com initialization" error on all emails I am trying to clip from outlook

I have a screenshot and error log (together less than .49MB) but am getting an error that I am over the size limit?  Can't upload either one..

Scott 

I've got another question on this release. In the old search box I used to have access to the list of my recent searches. It was useful to be able to modify a recent temporary search, or to switch between a few recent searches that I don't really want to save permanently.

Has this feature gone away?

Thank you for minimizing the white space/maximizing the screen acreage in this version. Much much better.

I completely agree with Cao Yi upthread — the View All Tags feature is ESSENTIAL. Please add it back in! Please! Thank you!

One side effect I'm noticing of the move away from a gray border around the note space to being white on white is that there's no longer any indication of where I can click to put my cursor into a note. In v5 I could see the white space of the note between the last word of the note and the gray space outside. Clicking anywhere in that white put my cursor at the end of the note and I could begin writing.

In v6 I have to click very close to the end of the existing note content (like within 1 row) in order to insert the cursor, otherwise I'm clicking in what used to be the gray space and nothing happens.

This applies to new notes as well. In prior versions I had a large space to click in to begin editing a new note, now I have a very narrow space available and no visual indicator of where that space is.

Compare this to MS Word, where if you click anywhere on a page, even if there's only one word at the top of the page, it puts your cursor in the last line of the existing text and lets you start editing.

Hello,

The udate adds absolutely useless features such as: color tags, pinned saved searches item in left pannel. 

What I need is:

1. Color shortcuts, color notebooks - more common - it will be much more useful to apply styles to shortcuts and tags. These items are used much more frequently than tags, which I have enormous number and (6000 notes, evernote user since 2010)

2. Option to hide saved serches item from left pannel. I do not use this option. Why should I see it in the most important place of the client UI. 

Hi all,

Was just upgraded and now the outlook clipper is throwing a "com initialization" error on all emails I am trying to clip from outlook

I have a screenshot and error log (together less than .49MB) but am getting an error that I am over the size limit?  Can't upload either one..

Scott 

Thanks for the windows 6.0 update and congrats on the release! I use Evernote business and most everything I've tried works great. I've noticed one problem though. I want to be able to click on a business tag (Using the 'assign selected tags to new notes' feature) and then click on 'new note' to create a new business note. However, when I do that, 'new note' creates a personal note, not a business note. The result is a personal note (in my default personal notebook) that contains business tags - a confusing hybrid. 'New note' does create business notes if I've selected a notebook in the left panel and then ctrl-click a tag, but not when I've selected a tag and try to rely on the default business notebook. I'm hoping Evernote can add this to their list of fixes.

Search suggestions is gone!!! (This was verified to me from Evernote Support)

I cannot understand the rationale of taking away such a central and hugely helpful feature from a program that is designed to make finding information easier.

Please add it back and for the love of god don't take it away from the Mac version of Evernote! (Which gladly I use more than the Windows version.)

Search suggestions is the Google style automatic list of stuff that Evernote suggests for me when I write a word in the search box. In the example picture the word I typed is 'leadership'. It is SO HELPFUL for me to see the Suggestions, Tags and Notebooks (and even Recent Searches) that are AUTOMATICALLY suggested to me by just typing in a word!

My question to Evernote: Could you please bring this feature back?

Suggestion: You can make the feature better by making it optional with a possibility to turn it off if it is giving performance issues or otherwise someone doesn't like it. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 11.03.37.png

• Level 5*

Is there any plan to bring back Shift+click on tags tagged to a note, to add to search? The new arrow with the same function that shows up on hover, doesn't show up for tags that doesn't fit the main window but is hidden in the fly-out menu.

And it would be nice to have the arrows show at all times as well, as hover commands aren't touch friendly. Alternatively you could add "add to search" on right click on the tag.

Also, a bug prevents the arrows from showing in single note view.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Astermaster said:

Hello,

The udate adds absolutely useless features such as: color tags, pinned saved searches item in left pannel. 

What I need is:

1. Color shortcuts, color notebooks - more common - it will be much more useful to apply styles to shortcuts and tags. These items are used much more frequently than tags, which I have enormous number and (6000 notes, evernote user since 2010)

2. Option to hide saved serches item from left pannel. I do not use this option. Why should I see it in the most important place of the client UI. 

You can add color to notebooks as well, just not from the shortcut menu. Notebooks and Tags that are added to shortcuts will display their style in shortcuts as well. At this point you can't add styles to notes, stacks or saved searches though.

• Level 5
On 4/24/2016 at 4:54 PM, JMichaelTX said:

So to be clear, we would have two ways to show/hide tags in the Left Sidebar:

1. Click on the ▶ button to show or hide the hierarchy under that tag, but retain how the user has shown or hid any sub-tags
    1. Initially, it would just show the next level of tags, and NOT expand any sub-tags.
  2. Right-click on the Tag to fully expand, or fully collapse the entire hierarchy under that Tag.

This would be so powerful.

@JMichaelTXBTW, holding down Shift key while clicking the expand/collapse icon in the left panel will invoke "deep" operation which will expand/collapse the clicked item and all its subitems. This is works for all items types: top level items, stacks, sub tags, etc. You can also press left/right arrow keys to do the same while the item is selected.

• Ex Employees
16 hours ago, EScottA said:

Hi all,

Scott 

@EScottA Can you tell me what version of outlook you're using? Thanks. 

• Level 5
On 5/2/2016 at 1:45 PM, Silvia Hagen said:

Hi, Since I installed 6.06 i cannot search across all notebooks anymore. One of the main big features I loved Evernote and why I am using it. Have you kicked that out or have you changed settings? Without this feature I cannot use Evernote anymore, I built all my notebooks around this option and I am lost without it. How can I do this now?  Thanks, Silvia

I believe this is already fixed: F6 key is now resetting current search context gain.

15 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

I believe this is already fixed: F6 key is now resetting current search context gain.

Or if one can't remember F6, you can click on the "x" in your search bar to reset your search context.

• Level 5
21 hours ago, Astermaster said:

2. Option to hide saved serches item from left pannel. I do not use this option.

Saved Searches item is not shown if you don't have any saved searches. Please delete all your saved searches and you won't see this item.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, ReganHouse37 said:

Now if you'll just add format painter I can attribute some common sense to the development team.

Try using Ctrl+D then F4 -- this is not a full fledged format painter, however it allows you to apply character format to multiple places. If you need to pick existing format, place cursor into it, press Ctrl+D, then OK.

• Level 5
16 hours ago, Jody1 said:

Thanks for the windows 6.0 update and congrats on the release! I use Evernote business and most everything I've tried works great. I've noticed one problem though. I want to be able to click on a business tag (Using the 'assign selected tags to new notes' feature) and then click on 'new note' to create a new business note. However, when I do that, 'new note' creates a personal note, not a business note. The result is a personal note (in my default personal notebook) that contains business tags - a confusing hybrid. 'New note' does create business notes if I've selected a notebook in the left panel and then ctrl-click a tag, but not when I've selected a tag and try to rely on the default business notebook. I'm hoping Evernote can add this to their list of fixes.

Sounds like a but to me, will investigate.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, Vesa Vuorinen said:

Search suggestions is gone!!! (This was verified to me from Evernote Support)

Search suggestions are still there: please click on an arrow at the right of the Search Box or just press Ctrl+F10 once to reveal Search Info.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

Is there any plan to bring back Shift+click on tags tagged to a note, to add to search? The new arrow with the same function that shows up on hover, doesn't show up for tags that doesn't fit the main window but is hidden in the fly-out menu.

And it would be nice to have the arrows show at all times as well, as hover commands aren't touch friendly. Alternatively you could add "add to search" on right click on the tag.

Yup, good ideas -- thank you for the suggestion. BTW, if you Shift+click to the right of the tags list the note's notebook and all its tags will be set into the search.

1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

Also, a bug prevents the arrows from showing in single note view.

It's not a bug it a change we've made after finding out that some people are confused when a click in a single note view window changes current search in the main window. Please provide use cases and we'll see what can be done.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

It's not a bug it a change we've made after finding out that some people are confused when a click in a single note view window changes current search in the main window. Please provide use cases and we'll see what can be done.

Well then I agree that you should stick with no arrows in single note view. But for that reason I also do feel that the old shift+click on a tag as a way to add tags to search, in no matter what context, should be carried over from v5 to v6.

The reason why I want to be able to click in a single note view window to change the current search in the main windows is actually the other side of the coin to the scenario that you are mentioning. I want to change the search without loosing what I am working on.

Say I open 1 note. Then I find a second note and open that. Now that I have both notes opened next to each other, I want to find notes tagged with with one of the tags in the note I opened first. This is since v6 no longer possible unless I first search for the first note again (back arrow etc) and bring it back into the main window (or of course manually type in the name of the tag in tag picker). But the reason for having the arrows/the shift-click is productivity, which is otherwise lost.

2 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Search suggestions are still there: please click on an arrow at the right of the Search Box or just press Ctrl+F10 once to reveal Search Info.

The "Search Suggestions" @Vesa Vuorinen is talking about is not the option you mentioned. He even included a screenshot... which cannot be confused with "Search info."

EDIT: Wait, I see further search suggestions under the search explanation... but the dynamic is slightly different... not to mention that these only appear after one has gotten matches for the exact phrase input.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Well then I agree that you should stick with no arrows in single note view. But for that reason I also do feel that the old shift+click on a tag as a way to add tags to search, in no matter what context, should be carried over from v5 to v6.

The reason why I want to be able to click in a single note view window to change the current search in the main windows is actually the other side of the coin to the scenario that you are mentioning. I want to change the search without loosing what I am working on.

Say I open 1 note. Then I find a second note and open that. Now that I have both notes opened next to each other, I want to find notes tagged with with one of the tags in the note I opened first. This is since v6 no longer possible unless I first search for the first note again (back arrow etc) and bring it back into the main window (or of course manually type in the name of the tag in tag picker). But the reason for having the arrows/the shift-click is productivity, which is otherwise lost

All good points, thank you!

• Level 5
6 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

The "Search Suggestions" @Vesa Vuorinen is talking about is not the option you mentioned. He even included a screenshot... which cannot be confused with "Search info."

Search Info has suggested searches for notes. Suggestions for matching notebooks, tags, saved and recent searches, etc will be exposed by more appropriate UI which is coming.

Just now, kvitekp said:

Search Info has suggested searches for notes. Suggestions for matching notebooks, tags, saved and recent searches, etc will be exposed by more appropriate UI which is coming.

On second thought (and upon tinkering), I quite like the format now. Nice and compact. Search suggestions (for notes) appear in one continuous string. And when you click on "several" notebooks, you get a dropdown list of matching notebooks. 

• Level 5
21 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

On second thought (and upon tinkering), I quite like the format now. Nice and compact. Search suggestions (for notes) appear in one continuous string. And when you click on "several" notebooks, you get a dropdown list of matching notebooks. 

Glad to hear that! Providing search suggestions for items other than notes does not make sense here because search box is on top of the search results, which are always notes, so we'll have different UI for that. Stay tuned!

• Level 5*

@kvitekp, you've provided a number of great tips, great shortcuts, great Registry key options.  But they are all buried in this very long thread (11 pages now).  Could you guys please put together a comprehensive user's guide / tip sheet on this new EN Win version?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

if you Shift+click to the right of the tags list the note's notebook and all its tags will be set into the search.

Very nice.

• Level 5
36 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

@kvitekp, you've provided a number of great tips, great shortcuts, great Registry key options.  But they are all buried in this very long thread (11 pages now).  Could you guys please put together a comprehensive user's guide / tip sheet on this new EN Win version?

There is someone working on this as we speak... And yes, we do have plans to replace that ancient tabbed Tools / Options dialog with something more scalable.

I recently upgraded to v6.0.6.1769 when it was announced. As a result, Evernote is now very sluggish and slow. I would like to revert to the previous version but it was an online update that didn't require a download. What are my options? Is there a way to revert? What was the number of the previous version?

Thanks so much, csihilling! Do you happen to know if I install an earlier version, will I endanger my current library of notes? I'll back everything up just in case, but I wanted to know what to expect.

• Level 5
39 minutes ago, Eweforia said:

I recently upgraded to v6.0.6.1769 when it was announced. As a result, Evernote is now very sluggish and slow. I would like to revert to the previous version but it was an online update that didn't require a download. What are my options? Is there a way to revert? What was the number of the previous version?

Could it be that it still re-indexing your database in background? From the stats we receive here V6 is faster than previous version.

• Level 5*

Typically I would say your notes would be safe when you downgrade an EN version or two.  I believe the answer is the same going from 6 to 5.9 even though there were some re-indexing steps.  Backup your .exb for sure, just in case, but it i would expect it to work fine.

Interesting thing though before you do it, I have found 6.0 to be faster than 5.9 in searches and everything else.  Is there a particular activity or process that causes EN to slow down?

Everything is slow. When I click a notebook in my left nav panel, it takes a long time to open. Once open, if I click a note to open it or click the New Note button, it is very sluggish. Printing is slow. Clipping is slow. However, once I've seemed to "wake it up," then Evenote is, indeed, very fast. I think kvitekp may be onto something regarding re-indexing. But how often does re-indexing occur and how long does that generally take? Prior to the update, I've never experienced Evernote as being anything less than blazingly fast. (I absolutely love this program.) It may or may not be indexing, but something decidedly changed when I updated and it is not a positive change for me.

• Level 5*

Okay.  I would leave EN open for a while to be sure all the indexing is completed, though I would guess it should be by now.  You could repeat the 6 install before downgrading to 5.9.  IAC, I am not having the same experience as you, so don't know what else to say    :(

Evernote is generally running all of the time on my desktop. I launch it immediately after a fresh bootup. I'm running Win7 fully patched. If re-indexing is a one-time thing after upgrading, my system has had ample time to do that. But if re-indexing occurs on some kind of timed basis like automatic syncing does, then I need to know if that is something I can adjust. Meanwhile. I will follow your advice and re-install v6 before down-grading to v5.9. Thanks for your help, csihilling.

• Level 5*

You are welcome, though I'm not sure how much help was provided.  Let us know if the reinstall or help menu re-index fix the issue for you.

By the way: In this thread is a strong focus on tags but keep in mind plenty of users prefer notebook structure. Now someone will crying at once: "Arrgh - notbeooks! Tags are better! You can do so much more with tags!!!" Right. But this is not the way of thinking for a lot of (Windows) users. They are familar with folders. They love to have a notebook (= folder) with the name "Taxes - 2014", "Taxes - 2015" and so on. They don't want to read manuals and tutorials with "Make one notebook 'Documents', make tag 'Taxes', make tag '2016', make title of the note '2016-05-07 bill by Starbucks'". They just want to scan a document, place it in a notebook - and finito.

So it would be great for this people if they could see the notebook colors in the middle note preview like the color of tags. And to have a "big page" with columns of stacks and notebooks ...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, HerbyDE said:

They are familar with folders. They love to have a notebook (= folder)

I understand notebooks
I understand folders
Why do you think they're Equal?
And how does this related to the topic discussion (New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6))

Answered:
Evernote does not use a folder methodology.
Some users are having a problem with this, and are attempting to use Notebooks to try and implement a folder structure. They believe Evernote should support them with this.

31 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I understand notebooks
I understand folders
Why do you think they're Equal?
And how does this related to the topic discussion (New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6))

1. Notebooks = folders = means: in the eyes of a lot of Evernote users this is equal and they like this notebook/folder-concept more than the tag concept.

2. Related to this topic = a lot of statements in this thread are focussing only the tag concept and new/better features for this concept. This is okay. But the developers should have an eye for the notebook concept too (and - per example - bring the color style for notebooks in the note list too).

It seems Evernote is going backwards: I’m losing more and more functionalities.

1. Losing the “all tags” view creates a huge problem for me. My tag system cannot be managed well with the new useless view.

2. The way the shortcuts appear now is ridiculous. I can no longer see all my shortcuts at a glance, while my search bar is unnecessarily long, i.e. wasted space on one line versus lack of space on the other line. Why this senseless change? This didn’t happen before version 6.

3. I’m using Outlook 2007 and have no plans to spend more money on Microsoft. Sending emails to myself “@m.evernote.com” is not a viable solution. I frequently select parts of emails to be sent to Evernote.

I can’t understand why Evernote did not warn of all this loss of functionality. If I had known, I would never have updated version 6. I've wasted a lot of valuable time reinstalling and reconfiguring the application because I was convinced there was some problem in my installation. I’m angry and frustrated that Evernote has done such a crappy job by creating a very messy version that makes it difficult to manage my notes now. I've managed to get back to my previous version (5.9.x), and will stop any further updating.

Very unprofessional.

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

Evernote does not use a folder methodology.

@DTLow, You insist on saying this. I've given you multiple reasons in multiple threads as to why it's not a Tags vs. Notebook debate. Evernote most definitely uses a "Notebook/ folder methodology". It also uses a tag-based setup. Both used in tandem are rather effective. Evernote provides equally powerful features to search notebooks. No favorites here. Either one or the other... or both Notebooks and Tags together have been leveraged quite beautifully. 

• Level 5*
On May 7, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Frank.dg said:

@DTLow, You insist on saying this. I've given you multiple reasons in multiple threads as to why it's not a Tags vs. Notebook debate. Evernote most definitely uses a "Notebook/ folder methodology". It also uses a tag-based setup. Both used in tandem are rather effective. Evernote provides equally powerful features to search notebooks. No favorites here. Either one or the other... or both Notebooks and Tags together have been leveraged quite beautifully. 

I said nothing about  tags in my post - I was commenting on notebooks=folders
I'm trying to stay out of the tag/notebook debate

Evernote definitely has Notebooks and Tags - no argument there.  

I understand folder methodology, and that people are trying to simulate it with Notebook/folder and Tag/folder workarounds

Maybe we have different ideas on the definition of Folder Methodology
For me its:     Parent Folder1
                           Child-Folder1 
                                  Child-Folder1.1
                                            Child-Folder1.2   ....
I'm not seeing this implemented in Evernote

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, HerbyDE said:

By the way: In this thread is a strong focus on tags but keep in mind plenty of users prefer notebook structure. Now someone will crying at once: "Arrgh - notbeooks! Tags are better! You can do so much more with tags!!!" Right. But this is not the way of thinking for a lot of (Windows) users. They are familar with folders. They love to have a notebook (= folder) with the name "Taxes - 2014", "Taxes - 2015" and so on. They don't want to read manuals and tutorials with "Make one notebook 'Documents', make tag 'Taxes', make tag '2016', make title of the note '2016-05-07 bill by Starbucks'". They just want to scan a document, place it in a notebook - and finito.

So it would be great for this people if they could see the notebook colors in the middle note preview like the color of tags. And to have a "big page" with columns of stacks and notebooks ...

Actually, because v6 now automatically tags a new note with the tag you have selected/opened (like folders in Windows and just like notebooks in earlier versions of EN), there is no longer any reason to use notebooks at all if you want a folder structure (except if you want to keep some information local only, or have selective offline sync on mobile devices). If you want a folder structure, you could just put all of your notes in the same single notebook and then create a deep folder structure with tags (hierarchly/tag tree).

I don't know who have told you to "Make one notebook 'Documents', make tag 'Taxes', make tag '2016'", but what you should do is make tags with the names "Taxes - 2014", "Taxes - 2015" and so on.

Tags are no less of a folder than notebooks are. I mean, who would place physical notebooks within a physical notebook anyway? A notebook is a cover, and tags are used to separate documents within a notebook in a folder type of way.

The only thing that really separates Evernote from Windows is that neither notebooks nor tags let you have two of the same type, with the same name. In Windows you could have separate folders called "2015" in both a folder called "Movies" and another folder called "Music".

Windows 10, Evernote 6.0.6.1769

Previously the Copy Note Link context menu item copied the note title and uri as - <a href="blah blah" style="color:#69aa35">Title</a> - into the clipboard, viz:

<a href="evernote:///view/12032092/s105/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/9a96e1c8-de9c-44bf-9841-b60e9ee40830-562/" style="color:#69aa35">CRASH 2: Radical Reality is the only thing that can save us now</a>

Now all I get is the uri

evernote:///view/12032092/s105/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/9a96e1c8-de9c-44bf-9841-b60e9ee40830-562/

I use EN Note links extensively within EN and within other applications to link to EN.  This is more than annoying, IMO meaningful Note Links were EN's best feature, for me their lack removes 90% of the rationale for using EN!

Is there an old version I can revert to whilst you're fixing this, I'm reticent to do it without advice because a recent update did a database conversion of some sort.

Phil D - Ψ³

12 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Actually, because v6 now automatically tags a new note with the tag you have selected/opened (like folders in Windows and just like notebooks in earlier versions of EN), there is no longer any reason to use notebooks at all if you want a folder structure

Yes - but this is not my point. Your view is the view of an Evernote expert - the mass of the 150 Mill. users are not an expert. People start the app, they see "Oh - here are notebooks - fine!". If a company want to survive on the market they have to focus experts and novices.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, AndreasM said:

Why is EN not responding to this kind of posts. You EN are just picking post that are easy to reply.

This has been responded to.

All tags was removed because they feel it wasn't implemented in the right way, and EN have encouraged everyone to express their feelings about the loss of this function, for what I believe could be priority reasons. Hopefully a new version of the feature will be implemented soon, and hopefully by being less sluggish than in v5.

Shortcuts can be moved back to the left panel with a right click. Merging the shortcut bar with the toolbar is a design choice. There is not really any good reason to respond to design choices as they are subjective and an answer will rarely suit the person complaining about the change either way. The only thing you can do about the design choices is give a good explanation why the design choice is very bad for you, and hope EN or other users agree. I prefer the change.

Outlook 2007 could be a bug, or just a decision to not keep supporting a 10 year old software with 3 successors (Office 2010, 2013, 2016).

Not including HTML code in link copy is also a design choice. I have use for links that can be used directly in a browser, which requires me to delete HTLM code prior to use. Like above, everyone complaining should explain their process a little more in depth if they want EN to understand if the process or something similar is used by other EN users.

2 hours ago, AndreasM said:

Why is EN not responding to this kind of posts. You EN are just picking post that are easy to reply.

@AndreasM,

In your first instance of the above quote: #1 and #2 of @IanHinton's have been discussed at length, while #3 is just about unintelligible...

... and then, more importantly, both posts you've quoted were made within the last 24 hours... on a weekend... on a Sunday... outside of business hours. You might want to wait until Monday evening to copy paste your same comment to further post quotes. 

How long do we need to wait to find out if they even plan on bringing the much loved (by some) "All Tags" view?  I posted over a week ago and the first post on the subject were a week before that.  The only feedback I've seen is "keep those options coming".  What does it hurt to bring back the all tags view?  Does it make a major performance difference?  I don't see the down side to bringing it back.  What am I missing here?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, AndreasM said:

What is design choice? Is it = to flip upside down or close to it. This is not how improvement (I hope we are talking about improvement here) should work.

Design choice will a lot of time be about compromises, and some will gain and others will lose. It's all very subjective, and it's very easy to be egotistical about design choices that doesn't fit you. I'm there myself from time to time.

People were very sceptical about removing physical buttons on phones ones, and now you barely see a phone with buttons.. And I still see people complain about the new start menu in Windows 10, even though it's even scientifically proven to be a more productive experience if you put 5 minutes into customizing it for your needs as a one-time operation.

Like I said above, I agree with both of the design choices made in this case as I think they are improvements. Whether or not my improvements are more worth than other users loss will depend on which option is the best for most users, and how much of a loss the minority is suffering. That is why it is important to explain how you as a user is suffering from the choices EN is making, unless it's obvious.

However I do care about the functions which are lost for no apparent design reason or any other great reason, like the All Tags page, the loss of the old "jump to tag" function, and the complete loss of nested tags on the current UI on iOS.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, gustavgi said:

All tags was removed because they feel it wasn't implemented in the right way, and EN have encouraged everyone to express their feelings about the loss of this function, for what I believe could be priority reasons

It is this kind of design/product logic (on the part of Evernote) that baffles me.  While I agree that the old Tags View was poor design, it was/is better than nothing.  Why not leave the design in place until you have a better design to replace it?

11 hours ago, AndreasM said:

19 hours ago, RightPaddock said:

Previously the Copy Note Link context menu item copied the note title and uri as - <a href="blah blah" style="color:#69aa35">Title</a> - into the clipboard, viz:

<a href="evernote:///view/12032092/s105/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/9a96e1c8-de9c-44bf-9841-b60e9ee40830-562/" style="color:#69aa35">CRASH 2: Radical Reality is the only thing that can save us now</a>

Now all I get is the uri

evernote:///view/12032092/s105/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/9a96e1c8-de9c-44bf-9841-b60e9ee40830-562/

I use EN Note links extensively within EN and within other applications to link to EN.  This is more than annoying, IMO meaningful Note Links were EN's best feature, for me their lack removes 90% of the rationale for using EN!

Is there an old version I can revert to whilst you're fixing this, I'm reticent to do it without advice because a recent update did a database conversion of some sort.

Phil D - Ψ³

Thanks AndreasM. 

EN and other experts - my earlier post (above) that AndreasM quoted, has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with tags, notebooks, folders or shortcuts etc

The Copy Link Note feature has been crippled to the point that its ^%$#*! useless.

Despite being old, I am pretty good at coping with change, the various cosmetic changes in this release didn't bother me after an hour or two. I like Win 10 better than Win 7, I much prefer MS Office Ribbons to the chaotic button bars and menus they replaced . 

But I am not good at coping with features being shipped that have been broken - wilfully or accidentally.  From me EN gets 0% for its ability to test - has it not heard of regression testing,

And here's another thing that's broken - The EN extension for Firefox

Capture.JPG

42 minutes ago, RightPaddock said:

EN and other experts - my earlier post (above) that AndreasM quoted, has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with tags, notebooks, folders or shortcuts etc

Yep... not every response in this 12-page thread is directed at you @RightPaddock

44 minutes ago, RightPaddock said:

The Copy Link Note feature has been crippled to the point that its ^%$#*! useless.

The only people currently enjoying a Monday morning are the folk down under. Best to sit tight and copy paste the above quote a couple of times during business hours. 

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, RightPaddock said:

Now all I get is the uri

Phil D - Ψ³

Did you try holding the Ctrl key as you clicked on Copy note link?

5 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Did you try holding the Ctrl key as you clicked on Copy note link?

My understanding is that ctrl/click is about getting a local link for a note in an Online notebook (ie one that's synchronised to the Web). Most but not all of the notes for which I want a link are in a local notebooks.  But yes, I did try it.

All I get in the clipboard is the URI whether its local or online i.e. evernote:///blah.... or h t t p s://www evernote.com/blah.... respectively. In previous versions I got <a href="evernote:///blah...." Note Title></a> for local links, and <a href="h t t p s://www evernote.com/blah..." Note Title></a> for online links.

PhilD

9 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

Yep... not every response in this 12-page thread is directed at you @RightPaddock

The only people currently enjoying a Monday morning are the folk down under. Best to sit tight and copy paste the above quote a couple of times during business hours. 

I was hoping someone might advise me on how to revert to an earlier version.

So what happened to the pivot to Asia. It's not only Down Under that's enjoying Monday morn, also Japan, China, Indonesia, India etc etc - i.e. about half the worlds population!

Please bring back the All Tags view

Please allow us to change the font size of the app (i.e. toolbar, tags, notebooks) - its the only app I have that I need to bring my face to the screen to see words.

Please allow a date tag that we don't need to create - once you've converted to thinking in tags, it just helps to have another.

I would love to have some analytics of the tags within evernote. I would love to see tag heat maps, tag heat maps for the day, for the week etc; just to track activity.

Thanks for listening

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, RightPaddock said:

I was hoping someone might advise me on how to revert to an earlier version.

So what happened to the pivot to Asia. It's not only Down Under that's enjoying Monday morn, also Japan, China, Indonesia, India etc etc - i.e. about half the worlds population.

Links are stilling working for me, so not sure I understand your use case, sorry.  Anyway,

On 4/23/2016 at 8:36 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Tag List -- Right-click on any tag to:

• Move under Parent Tag (provides Tag selection like with the Tag Filter)
  • Move to Top Level
  • Rename
  • Delete
  • Assign to Selected Notes
  • UnAssign from Selected Notes
  • Unassign from All Notes
  • Collapse/Expand All below this Tag
  • Create Shortcut

This is brilliant.

On 4/22/2016 at 2:53 PM, HerbyDE said:

"All Tags" and "All Notebooks" (multi column like Mac version) = You can see 50, 60 Tags or notebooks at a glance and find your aim without scrolling.

Sidebars = yes, it works too, but you have to scroll .... and to scroll ... and to scroll ...

you have to squint your eyes ... no problem for young developers - but for "old" users with glasses and notebooks ... you see ... ;-)

Please bring back the ALL TAGS view -  I also have over 1000 tags, and while the search function allows me to find them without problem, having to drag the tags to nest them under others is very slow and tedious. I can only see 40 at a time on my screen, which is quite large.

On 4/30/2016 at 9:05 AM, JeffreyC said:

I know a lot is flooding in here, but, this one changes the workflow of Evernote, so I want to mention it.

If you right click on the Evernote icon on the taskbar and select "New Note," that new note's notebook used to default to your "default notebook" ---- but now they are going into the "currently in use" notebook.   Any chance this can go back to the way it was?  To me, the way it was made more sense as if you are working outside of Evernote and want to remember something, you could use "New Note" from the Windows Environment (or the related hot key) to make a note in your "inbox" to address later.  (Go #GTD!)

Thanks @Stephane Lo and @emerick for listening and all you are doing. :-)  

I wanted to ping this as I'm back from a trip with lots of stuff to get into Evernote, and not having this is really a bother.  :wacko:

Thanks again for listening.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JeffreyC said:

I wanted to ping this as I'm back from a trip with lots of stuff to get into Evernote, and not having this is really a bother.  :wacko:

Thanks again for listening.

I see your point, but your problem can be solved by pressing Win+Shift+F for the first note, to first reset the search.

Removing the function that new notes are placed in the notebook you are currently working on, can't really be fixed/replaced while still kept, in the same simple manner as I can see it.

• Level 5
On 5/7/2016 at 0:21 PM, IanHinton said:

Losing the “all tags” view creates a huge problem for me. My tag system cannot be managed well with the new useless view.

Tags View is coming back. Most Evernote users don't use tags, so refactoring Tags View for V6 standards did not make it into the first V6 release. Now it's prioritized due user's feedback. Please state tuned.

The way the shortcuts appear now is ridiculous. I can no longer see all my shortcuts at a glance, while my search bar is unnecessarily long, i.e. wasted space on one line versus lack of space on the other line. Why this senseless change? This didn’t happen before version 6.

Users reported this before, so we're planning to add an option to have shortcuts on a dedicated bar. Most users have none or < 5 shortcuts so wasting vertical screen estate just because some of you have dozens of shortcuts does not make much sense. For now you can see all your shortcuts in the left panel.

I’m using Outlook 2007 and have no plans to spend more money on Microsoft. Sending emails to myself “@m.evernote.com” is not a viable solution. I frequently select parts of emails to be sent to Evernote.

I'm not sure what the problem is, please elaborate.

On 5/8/2016 at 6:01 AM, AndreasM said:

This is a user's feedback forum, not customer support. Development team members who actually write specs and code have chosen to actively participate in it so we can feel your pain points firsthand. We respond to every post that helps us to make the product better, however if the problem is already known/confirmed, we don't respond again and again. Missing Tag View and Want Full Width Shortcuts Bar problems problems were reported more than once and are a priority now.

16 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I see your point, but your problem can be solved by pressing Win+Shift+F for the first note, to first reset the search.

Removing the function that new notes are placed in the notebook you are currently working on, can't really be fixed/replaced while still kept, in the same simple manner as I can see it.

What?  Sorry; none of this makes sense.

And, for what it's worth, I'm just asking for the original functionality to be brought back.  

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

What?  Sorry; none of this makes sense.

And, for what it's worth, I'm just asking for the original functionality to be brought back.  

I'm just saying that I think the new functionality is a huge improvement, that can't really be implemented in any other quick way as I can see it.

But resetting the search so that a new note is placed in the default notebook, can be done with a simple keyboard shortcut.

16 hours ago, RightPaddock said:

So what happened to the pivot to Asia. It's not only Down Under that's enjoying Monday morn, also Japan, China, Indonesia, India etc etc - i.e. about half the worlds population!

Here's Evernote's official twitter support account: https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

Twitter.PNG

It would seem that Evernote support works off PST for twitter (BTW, I'm waaay ahead of PST too)... might be the same at help.evernote.com... dunno. They also do ask for a 2-3-business day wait time once you've requested a support ticket from their official support avenues. Twitter is the quickest bet. Either way, that should account for Evernote users worldwide... independent of your time zone. Point is, you were being overly dramatic... over the weekend... in a predominantly user-run forum. You'be been around long enough to know that... then there's this:

35 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

This is a user's feedback forum, not customer support. Development team members who actually write specs and code have chosen to actively participate in it so we can feel your pain points firsthand. We respond to every post that helps us to make the product better, however if the problem is already known/confirmed, we don't respond again and again. Missing Tag View and Want Full Width Shortcuts Bar problems problems were reported more than once and are a priority now.

14 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I'm just saying that I think the new functionality is a huge improvement, that can't really be implemented in any other quick way as I can see it.

But resetting the search so that a new note is placed in the default notebook, can be done with a simple keyboard shortcut.

How is that a "huge improvement?"  Think about it.....

• If you are working "in a notebook," then you are probably in Evernote and should use the keystroke in Evernote to create the new note - which will be created in the notebook you are using.
  • If you are working outside of Evernote, then you shouldn't have to "process" or think about where this "open loop" or piece of information is going to go - you will figure that out later.  i.e., just like if you email into Evernote.
  • Side Note: Isn't this the whole reason you set a "Default Notebook?"

As for, "resetting the search," I think you are saying "go into Evernote and reset your notebook to your default, then create the note."  Add fourteen keystrokes to you life?  No thank you.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Users reported this before, so we're planning to add an option to have shortcuts on a dedicated bar. Most users have none or < 5 shortcuts so wasting vertical screen estate just because some of you have dozens of shortcuts does not make much sense. For now you can see your shortcuts in the left panel.

If you choose View - Shortcuts - Show in Toolbar you have a dedicated bar, albeit 80% as long as it used to be on a larger monitor since it is now beside the Menu Toolbar.  This assumes you don't show labels for the menu items.  And there is a drop down at the end for shortcuts that won't fit on the screen.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

How is that a "huge improvement?"  Think about it.....

• If you are working "in a notebook," then you are probably in Evernote and should use the keystroke in Evernote to create the new note - which will be created in the notebook you are using.
  • If you are working outside of Evernote, then you shouldn't have to "process" or think about where this "open loop" or piece of information is going to go - you will figure that out later.  i.e., just like if you email into Evernote.
  • Side Note: Isn't this the whole reason you set a "Default Notebook?"

As for, "resetting the search," I think you are saying "go into Evernote and reset your notebook to your default, then create the note."  Add fourteen keystrokes to you life?  No thank you.

I'm not always "in" Evernote when I'm working on a notebook. A lot of times I'm working in Evernote while also browsing the subject I am working on the web, and want to make a note based on what I am reading. Or I'm going through clipped information etc. in a notebook in EN in single note view/standalone window, which doesn't have a "new note" button, and is therefore just as much outside of Evernote as having Evernote closed.

Of course everyone has their own workflow, but my "default notebook" has never been a notebook where I want the information to stay. My reason for setting a default notebook is to have one place to check for unsorted information. So for me it's just an inbox to be sorted at a later date. Unfortunately that can also be a boring and time consuming process, and I rather have that settled right away with a minimum amount of clicks.

For the same reason I am also a great fan of the AI function in the web clipper, which is pretty good at guessing where the information should go right away. It would be very unfortunate if all my clippings went into my default notebook..

And like I said, you reset by typing Win+Shift+F while outside EN. You don't have to open up EN and then reset your notebook..

2 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I'm not always "in" Evernote when I'm working on a notebook. A lot of times I'm working in Evernote while also browsing the subject I am working on the web, and want to make a note based on what I am reading. Or I'm going through clipped information in a notebook in EN in single note view/standalone window, which doesn't have a "new note" button, and is therefore just as much outside of Evernote as having Evernote closed.

Of course everyone has their own workflow, but my "default notebook" has never been a notebook where I want the information to stay. My reason for setting a default notebook is to have one place to check for unsorted information. So for me it's just an inbox to be sorted at a later date. Unfortunately that can also be a boring and time consuming process, and I rather have that settled right away with a minimum amount of clicks.

For the same reason I am also a great fan of the AI function in the web clipper, which is pretty good at guessing where the information should go right away. It would be very unfortunate if all my clippings went into my default notebook..

And like I said, you reset by typing Win+Shift+F while outside EN. You don't have to open up EN and then reset your notebook..

Win+Shift+F brings up the Windows search dialog (nothing to do with Evernote).

Read the book, Getting Things Done.  It will change your life (http://amzn.to/1TOLExE)

Everyone works differently.  Would have been better for them to not take away a feature from users like me and instead add a way to optionally support new features for users like you.

Cheers,

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

Win+Shift+F brings up the Windows search dialog (nothing to do with Evernote).

Are you sure you are not refering to Win+Ctrl+F?

(unless you changed it in options) Win+Shift+F (resets) search EN from outside of EN.

1 minute ago, gustavgi said:

Are you sure you are not refering to Win+Ctrl+F?

(unless you changed it in options) Win+Shift+F (resets) search EN from outside of EN.

I stand corrected.  You are right.

Archived