New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6) GA

Stephane Lo

Idea

Today, we started rolling out Evernote v6.0 for Windows to the general public.
This is a big milestone for the team, and we couldn’t have gotten here without your continuous input and feedback.

Of course, this is not the end and there is still a lot to do. For instance, we’ve heard the recent comments on Saved Searches. This was an intentional change to simplify the overall experience. We understand it affected the workflow of many people and are bringing this feature in a hotfix release very soon while we continue exploring how to best evolve saved searches to be relevant for a wider audience.

In the meantime, now that v6.0 is officially released, let’s help as many people, new and old, find and enjoy this release. We’d greatly appreciate your support with the public launch of this release, on the blog and on social media!

As usual, please keep sending feedback, suggestions, and use cases our way. Many thanks.

**EDIT: the release is now updated with a 6.0.6 Hotfix**

You can download the updated v6.0.6 here

-----

New in 6.0.6:

• Fixed loss of tag structure on drag and drop of nested tags
  • Fixed bug with subscription expired message 
  • Fixed various crashes

Fixed in 6.0.5:

• Saved Searches are back
    • Find your existing and new saved searches in the left sidebar below Tags
    • Create new saved searches from the left sidebar saved searches section or right-click on the search description
  • Fixed crash on switching Evernote account
  • Fixed crash when importing from OneNote 2016
  • Fixed ENScript exportNotes bug

If you’re updating from v6.0.3 beta:

• Selecting a notebook or tag highlights it in the left side bar. Override this behavior in the settings
  • Added option to trash the original note when copying between Personal and Business.
  • And 30 smaller bugs.

If you're updating from v5.9.9 and below, check out the blog announcement and the release notes.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, lisec said:
Ok, that's different. So it isn't a drop-down anymore. But that isn't the only difference. Cats doesn't shop up in this list. I think this might be displaying the nested items under my "recipes" tag instead of all notes that include the tag "recipes".  That isn't so great.  Anyway, let's see what happens when I click the tag icon again to select "cats".

Seems like your problem should be solved by unchecking the fourth box in the Notes tab under Settings, concerning automatically selecting child tags.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, EdH said:

how do you go back to a previous note when you get there from a hyperlink in a previous note? THere used to be a set of <> buttons to move back and forth between notes reviewed. With 6.0.5 I am having to research for the original note. Am I missing it?

The arrows are next to the A button which hides/displays the editing toolbar. They only show if you have actually clicked a link and if you have opened the note in a separate window. If you are reviewing the note in a preview window/note panel, you have to add the arrows to the main toolbar. The fact that they won't show up next to the A in the last scenario might be a "bug", though.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, dbvirago said:

Yeah, saved searches needs to be near, if not in, the search bar. I can type in a search here, or I can scroll down 3 pages to find a saved search, then scroll back up to see the results. Also, converting the search to plain English isn't helpful. Just populate the search bar with the text of the search criteria. In that way, it is easy to change a saved search on the fly. This was very much not broken. 

I agree! Saved searches have no use if they are demoted to the bottom of the left panel.

The reason why they worked so well was because you never had to scroll and loose focus of what you were working with on the left panel.

A compromise that might work for me would be if you were able to pin saved searches to the toolbar in the same way shortcuts can be added to the toolbar.

However, the most natural solution to me would be to add the popout that shows when you now click the magnifying glass when the left bar is F10 minimized, to the magnifying glass in the right end of the search bar.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, lisec said:

I think this might be displaying the nested items under my "recipes" tag instead of all notes that include the tag "recipes".

If recipes is a parent tag and you don't want all the children tags to be included, got to Tools - Options - Note and uncheck Automatically select child tags.

1 hour ago, lisec said:

Anyway, let's see what happens when I click the tag icon again to select "cats".

In the new EN the search context stays the same until you clear it or select all notes.  So you entered Cat and it was just added to the current search.  A registry hack has been posted which resets the context to all notes if you press F6 (or your shortcut preference) to go to the search bar..

• Level 5*

@kvitekp would it be possible to add a "hamburger menu" button to the customizable toolbar, which has a F10 function? That way a user can chose to have a button that hides the left panel, which would be very useful on a touch screen.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, EdH said:

how do you go back to a previous note when you get there from a hyperlink in a previous note? THere used to be a set of <> buttons to move back and forth between notes reviewed. With 6.0.5 I am having to research for the original note. Am I missing it?

You can customize the tool bar and add the back and forward arrows.  Right clicking on an icon in the toolbar will get you there.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, kvitekp said:

For starters -- did you find left/right scrolling of the EN5 Tag View helpful or confusing?

I found it helpful, although it would be better to be able to see a larger number of tags, and to collapse the trees without having to keep collapsing every tree every time you go to the tag list. That part was frustrating when trying to organize tags into a hierarchy. As I have suggested previously, the ability to right-click on a tag and assign it to a parent tag would be awesome. Also, the ability to create duplicate tags that are unique to the parent tag they are assigned to.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, FactMan said:

Also, the ability to create duplicate tags that are unique to the parent tag they are assigned to.

Out of interest, if you searched for the duplicate tag which notes would you want to be returned?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, csihilling said:

Out of interest, if you searched for the duplicate tag which notes would you want to be returned?

Good point. The parents of each tag would need to show up in the tag selection list, wouldn't they. Maybe not as easy as I was thinking.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

All notes that have that tag.

this is just like searching for a subfolder  on your PC/Mac.  There would need to be some way of showing the parent of the tag in each note.

This could be really cool.  Let's take the case of "Insurance" as a tag.  Both "Home" and "Auto" have a sub tag of "Insurance".

search on the tag Insurance" returns my Insurance policies on all of my assets.  If I click on the Home tag it shows ALL of my home notes, INCLUDING Insurance.  Same for Auto.

Perfect!

5 hours ago, lisec said:

Surely I am just not seeing something here.

How can I view my tag hierarchies?  I spent an awful lot of time sticking tags under a "recipes" heading, and a "when" heading and a "film" heading and I can't see how to get those hierarchical views back.

I select tags in the left pane and they are alphabetical ONLY.

Your hierarchies can also be destroyed by simply moving them. I found this out the painful way. This is a side-effect of the new auto-select children feature, which has probably been introduced to assist with the new styling options. Whenever you select a parent tag, it's children will be selected automatically. As soon as you move the parent the whole tree will be flattened into an alphabetical list. The logic behind this still escapes me. This is destructive behaviour, without a clear intent from the user and with potential disastrous consequences that cannot be undone and therefore should be qualified as a bug.

The way to avoid this is to de-select 'autoselect children' in the settings.

15 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Note tag adder has "auto complete" semantics which is based on prefix search: you start typing and the system helps you by suggesting tags that start with the characters you've typed.

Search tag adder has "substring search" semantics that matches typed characters anywhere in the tag name.

I would expect consistency. Please, make also note tag adder with "substring search" semantics. It is much better than "auto complete" semantics.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, askswap said:

I would expect consistency. Please, make also note tag adder with "substring search" semantics. It is much better than "auto complete" semantics.

I agree with the need to be consistent.

But the choice of whether to use "prefix" search or "substring" search is probably best put as a user option.  There are strong cases for both, and users appear to be split down the middle.  So if you force one method on all, you will make a lot of users unhappy.

On 4/24/2016 at 9:18 PM, Cao Yi said:

Yes, simpler is better.

But the "All Tags" page is simpler than the dropdown list for me.

Many of my notes have multi tags, and 3000+ notes are created. The hundreds tags are hard to manage now.

hundreds of tags should not be too hard to manage. i have more than 5k tags but i came up with a system of my own to organize them. i can reach any tag within 4 clicks and i don't have to memorize anything specifically. maybe you should start doing the same. someday you may have thousands of tags as well. the all tags page can't be that much better than the list. 

a simple system is to create a parent tag for each letter in the alphabet. then move all your tags under these parent tags alphabetically. this way you will have 26 parent tags and if you have averagely 20 tags under each parent, that's more than 500 tags right there. 

what i do with mine is, if you're interested, first i classify my tags into 4 categories which are led by these 4 parent tags: ! action, " project, * topic, and / content. (i start all my tags with a symbol to have sort of an auto group effect, note the space). action means how i will be using the notes, such as !read, !fill, !checkout, etc. a project is a particular group of notes that i keep together, for example: "55WLtenant, which means profiles for all the tenants who have lived or are living in my house at 55 Wonderland. topic is pretty self explanatory. when i clip a page from the web or write an article myself i tag it with all the topics that it relates to, like *food, *music, *london, *politics, etc. content is the general description of what a note is, such as /journal, /todo, /question, /receipt, /photo, and so on. i have two more levels of subdivisions to further classify some of these groups. for example, under " project i have "family, "business, "property, etc. under "family i have "parents, "kids, "relationships. and under "relationships i have "2015CBbday which was a project to throw a birthday party for my girlfriend. (i'm keeping all these notes so i can recycle the ideas with my next girlfriend, smart eh?) when i create a tag, all i have to think about is what kind of a tag it should be, and then mark it with the according symbol. this way it will automatically appear right under the parent tag it belongs to. and i drag it into the parent tag or the sub groups to tidy up. that's all. having symbols at the beginning of every tag also gives me freedom to create tags with the same simple word if they are in different categories. for example if i clipped an article about family and tagged it with *family, this will not interfere with my "family project group. when i want to access a tag i start from the parent tag and select the subdivision from a list of about 10 and then another level of subdivision from about 20. my target tag will now be listed among some 20-50 other tags in numerical/alphabetical order. since i built this system myself and tailored all the group names to make the most sense to me, this selecting process is all very natural and smooth. i can find any tag within 2-5 seconds. if i use certain tags very frequently and want to find them faster, well that's what shortcuts are for, isn't it? 

hope this helps. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Bartm said:

As soon as you move the parent the whole tree will be flattened into an alphabetical list. The logic behind this still escapes me. This is destructive behaviour, without a clear intent from the user and with potential disastrous consequences that cannot be undone and therefore should be qualified as a bug.

This is terrible!  Surely this is a bug!   If you move a parent tag, the hierarchy of all of its child tags should remain exactly they were.

What would anyone want moving of the parent tag to flatten the hierarchy???

5 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I agree with the need to be consistent.

But the choice of whether to use "prefix" search or "substring" search is probably best put as a user option.  There are strong cases for both, and users appear to be split down the middle.  So if you force one method on all, you will make a lot of users unhappy.

I would love it to be user configurable. Currently I rely on "prefix" search for tags not to show up. In other words if "substring" search was introduced everywhere I would have way too many tags pop up. This is already a problem when I do a tag search in the new left pane. As an example: I have tags like "2016 06 Madrid" for all my trips (30+ per year). As soon as the trip is over, I prefix the tag with a period (like ".2016 06 Madrid") so that when I start typing 2016 not all my old trips start popping up.

13 minutes ago, lerax said:

hundreds of tags should not be too hard to manage. i have more than 5k tags but i came up with a system of my own to organize them. i can reach any tag within 4 clicks and i don't have to memorize anything specifically. maybe you should start doing the same. someday you may have thousands of tags as well. the all tags page can't be that much better than the list. 

a simple system is to create a parent tag for each letter in the alphabet. then move all your tags under these parent tags alphabetically. this way you will have 26 parent tags and if you have averagely 20 tags under each parent, that's more than 500 tags right there. 

what i do with mine is, if you're interested, first i classify my tags into 4 categories which are led by these 4 parent tags: ! action, " project, * topic, and / content. (i start all my tags with a symbol to have sort of an auto group effect, note the space). action means how i will be using the notes, such as !read, !fill, !checkout, etc. a project is a particular group of notes that i keep together, for example: "55WLtenant, which means profiles for all the tenants who have lived or are living in my house at 55 Wonderland. topic is pretty self explanatory. when i clip a page from the web or write an article myself i tag it with all the topics that it relates to, like *food, *music, *london, *politics, etc. content is the general description of what a note is, such as /journal, /todo, /question, /receipt, /photo, and so on. i have two more levels of subdivisions to further classify some of these groups. for example, under " project i have "family, "business, "property, etc. under "family i have "parents, "kids, "relationships. and under "relationships i have "2015CBbday which was a project to throw a birthday party for my girlfriend. (i'm keeping all these notes so i can recycle the ideas with my next girlfriend, smart eh?) when i create a tag, all i have to think about is what kind of a tag it should be, and then mark it with the according symbol. this way it will automatically appear right under the parent tag it belongs to. and i drag it into the parent tag or the sub groups to tidy up. that's all. when i want to access a tag i start from the parent tag and select the subdivision from a list of about 10 and then another level of subdivision from about 20. my target tag will now be listed among some 20-50 other tags in numerical/alphabetical order. since i built this system myself and tailored all the group names to make the most sense to me, this selecting process is all very natural and smooth. i can find any tag within 2-5 seconds. if i use certain tags very frequently and want to find them faster, well that's what shortcuts are for, isn't it? 

hope this helps. 

I use a system very much like the one you are describing. Still I would like to have the all tags view back, because I regularly move tags(-hierarchies) from one parent to another. Example: move a project tag from parent "Projects Open" to "Projects Closed". With dozens of projects I now have to sit and wait for the whole list to (slowly) scroll by until I reach my destination. Plus the all tags view gave a much better overview. I mean, why not bring the all tags view back?

30 minutes ago, Bartm said:

I use a system very much like the one you are describing. Still I would like to have the all tags view back, because I regularly move tags(-hierarchies) from one parent to another. Example: move a project tag from parent "Projects Open" to "Projects Closed". With dozens of projects I now have to sit and wait for the whole list to (slowly) scroll by until I reach my destination. Plus the all tags view gave a much better overview. I mean, why not bring the all tags view back?

i can see that would be quite annoying. i can also see why the all tags view would be helpful to this but since it's officially gone with no plans to come back there must be a good reason they got rid of it that outweighs this. i think it's always a good idea to make your system dependent on less feature than more, anyway. 

i started using tags before the all tags view came out so i'm actually used to this problem you have. i simply named my tag groups in such ways that the same level of divisions are always close to each other. thus every time i move a tag it will not cross over too many tags. for example, if you have "projects open" and "projects closed" buried in a list of a whole bunch of other project tags named "project aaa/mmm/yyy", you can simply add a symbol at the beginning of the first two tags, so they both stay on the top of the list above every other project tags. like this: 

Projects (main parent tag)

#projects closed

#projects open

projects auto

projects home

projects taxes

projects writing

etc. 

of course you may still have the problem moving from say projects writing which is always at the bottom, up to projects open if there are too many groups in between. but there also can be other ways you can rearrange the groups so there aren't too many sub groups on the same level. 

Search would be much more useful if Saved Searched would also save the Sort parameters.  (maybe combine with with remembering the sort order for each notebook or tag selection too, instead of 'one sort order fits all approach used now)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bartm said:

In the mean time of us waiting for the new All Tags window, there is a "quick" workaround. You either create or use any note, and you tag that note with the tag you want to move. You then drag the tag from the note panel where the note is tagged, into the place in the left panel where you want it to be.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bartm said:

The all tags view had the ability to filter the tags, so you would type in "Projects" and it would show the top level of Projects, Projects Open and Projects Closed, together with their child tags. This would mean that it is easier to move those children from one Project category to another. With a list as the only option, I found myself making the tag I wanted to move a child of the tag at the top or bottom of the screen, then scrolling to get that tag to the opposite part of the screen, then moving my child tag to the next highest or lowest tag. Clumsy, but much easier than trying to scroll with the mouse held down.

Now, I just have multiple tags, so I filter by tag:Projects tag:Open, then select the notes I want to move. If there are a lot of them, I might add tag:ProjectName to my filter. Then I can select those notes and tag them with Closed instead of Open. Works for me, most of the time. I am finding notes that I have incorrectly tagged as well, which is an added benefit.

25 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

In the mean time of us waiting for the new All Tags window, there is a "quick" workaround. You either create or use any note, and you tag that note with the tag you want to move. You then drag the tag from the note panel where the note is tagged, into the place in the left panel where you want it to be.

Great tip, thanks!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Bartm said:

I would love it to be user configurable. Currently I rely on "prefix" search for tags not to show up. In other words if "substring" search was introduced everywhere I would have way too many tags pop up. This is already a problem when I do a tag search in the new left pane. As an example: I have tags like "2016 06 Madrid" for all my trips (30+ per year). As soon as the trip is over, I prefix the tag with a period (like ".2016 06 Madrid") so that when I start typing 2016 not all my old trips start popping up.

I am sure your system is very customized to your user needs, but in your example alone I can't see why you wouldn't want a possibility to make tag searches which returns all your 2016 trips (by typing in 2016), or all your Madrid trips (by typing in Madrid), but with a way to make all your old trips bottom suggestions (kind of like a context function).

If you make 30+ trips per year, would you still quickly remember by memory if you made a trip to Lisbon in 2006 or 2007 etc? This way Evernote might also help you refresh your memory with information you might have forgotten.

This however requires that you think of a way to use prefixes, or an additional tag, in a way that makes a search return your results with the most relevant information first (upcoming trips at the top), and still have a way to also be able to exclude upcoming trips if you only want to look at old trips.

This can be accomplished with either an additional prefix or an additional tag.

The main rule would then of course be to use punctuations as prefixes for the tags which are generally more important to you, as those are always at the top.

19 minutes ago, FactMan said:

The all tags view had the ability to filter the tags, so you would type in "Projects" and it would show the top level of Projects, Projects Open and Projects Closed, together with their child tags. This would mean that it is easier to move those children from one Project category to another. With a list as the only option, I found myself making the tag I wanted to move a child of the tag at the top or bottom of the screen, then scrolling to get that tag to the opposite part of the screen, then moving my child tag to the next highest or lowest tag. Clumsy, but much easier than trying to scroll with the mouse held down.

Now, I just have multiple tags, so I filter by tag:Projects tag:Open, then select the notes I want to move. If there are a lot of them, I might add tag:ProjectName to my filter. Then I can select those notes and tag them with Closed instead of Open. Works for me, most of the time. I am finding notes that I have incorrectly tagged as well, which is an added benefit.

Thanks for helping us figure out work-arounds/solutions. However, I think your technique doesn't work for me: I don't re-tag notes, I move a tag "project name" from it's parent "projects open" to a another parent "projects closed". Other than that I think your suggestions are useful for filtering out notes.

22 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I am sure your system is very customized to your user needs, but in your example alone I can't see why you wouldn't want a possibility to make tag searches which returns all your 2016 trips (by typing in 2016), or all your Madrid trips (by typing in Madrid), but with a way to make all your old trips bottom suggestions (kind of like a context function).

If you make 30+ trips per year, would you still quickly remember by memory if you made a trip to Lisbon in 2006 or 2007 etc? This way Evernote might also help you refresh your memory with information you might have forgotten.

This however requires that you think of a way to use prefixes, or an additional tag, in a way that makes a search return your results with the most relevant information first (upcoming trips at the top), and still have a way to also be able to exclude upcoming trips if you only want to look at old trips.

This can be accomplished with either an additional prefix or an additional tag.

The main rule would then of course be to use punctuations as prefixes for the tags which are generally more important to you, as those are always at the top.

Fair point. So what you suggest is that I put like a letter 'z' in front of my old-trip labels, so that they come up as bottom suggestions. I could do that. And to your point, it would allow me to just type in Madrid. I think you just changed my mind and substring search is the better option.

I've been waiting a long time for the forward/back buttons on Windows mice to be supported but I was getting by with the forward/back arrows in the header.

Now with Evernote 6 there is not even that option. How are users supposed to go back and forth between a couple notes without opening them into multiple Windows?

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, KevKal said:

I've been waiting a long time for the forward/back buttons on Windows mice to be supported but I was getting by with the forward/back arrows in the header.

Now with Evernote 6 there is not even that option. How are users supposed to go back and forth between a couple notes without opening them into multiple Windows?

You have to add the arrows yourself by right clicking on the main toolbar and customizing which buttons you want.

@gustavgi Found it with your help, thank you.

It's a poor design if you ask me.  Unlike every other Windows app where you right-click blank space to get the customization window, in Evernote you have to right-click an existing icon. If it had followed convention I think I would have been able to find it without assistance.

On 2016-04-22 at 4:30 PM, csihilling said:

I have a note in the shortcut bar containing a table of searches (easier for me to manage the less used searches here vs shortcuts).  I have a PhaseExpress hotkey that selects the search text and executes the saved search.  Two clicks and I have the search in play. 

That right there is what I've always wanted; one note with saved searches as links. Then when the neighbour comes over I can click on the link and voila - my Santorini pictures from 2013. I don't have to use up space in saved searches, I don't have to remember how I tagged stuff back then, just click on the link in my page and there you go.  PhaseExpress, eh? I'll look into that, but it is definitely something Evernote should add at one point.

16 hours ago, EdH said:

my hierarchy is there in 6.0.5. I do know that the hierarchy is destroyed if you import from an ENEX file - those aren't stored in an export, only on the server. Assuming though that you didn't purge your data and restore with an ENEX file, they should be there. If not, contact support as it sounds like a specific issue and not someting 6.0.5 is missing.

Hmm. they were not for me. I re-installed this morning and now I see them. Thanks for letting me know that it wasn't a bug.

16 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Seems like your problem should be solved by unchecking the fourth box in the Notes tab under Settings, concerning automatically selecting child tags.

Indeed the problem is solved!  Thanks so much gustavgi.

10 hours ago, Bartm said:

Your hierarchies can also be destroyed by simply moving them. I found this out the painful way. This is a side-effect of the new auto-select children feature, which has probably been introduced to assist with the new styling options. Whenever you select a parent tag, it's children will be selected automatically. As soon as you move the parent the whole tree will be flattened into an alphabetical list. The logic behind this still escapes me. This is destructive behaviour, without a clear intent from the user and with potential disastrous consequences that cannot be undone and therefore should be qualified as a bug.

Thanks Bartm. Hierarchies are back.

But boy, I spent way too much time creating them (and some have lots of children) - the last thing I would want is to lose all that work. Thanks for the heads-up.  Evernote should consider pop-up messages when something that drastic can happen, you know, a sort of "this will permanently destroy this hierarchy - do you want to continue" sort of thing.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Bartm said:

Scary. Has this been confirmed? I like the auto-select children feature, but not if it trashes my hierarchies!

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, gustavgi said:

The arrows are next to the A button which hides/displays the editing toolbar. They only show if you have actually clicked a link and if you have opened the note in a separate window. If you are reviewing the note in a preview window/note panel, you have to add the arrows to the main toolbar. The fact that they won't show up next to the A in the last scenario might be a "bug", though.

thanks. Added them to the main tool bar, They definitely don't show up next to the A button.

What does "A" stand for? "Ahhhh, I do/don't want to see the toolbar?"

6 hours ago, Bartm said:

Fair point. So what you suggest is that I put like a letter 'z' in front of my old-trip labels, so that they come up as bottom suggestions. I could do that. And to your point, it would allow me to just type in Madrid. I think you just changed my mind and substring search is the better option.

I use a tag called "archive". If I don't want to see anything old I search for the tags I need and I add -tag:archive.  Easy and works for everything. Maybe that would do the trick?

Auto selection of child tags can be disabled in options. 

You can also hold shift while clicking on a parent tag. This way no child tag will be selected. 

1 hour ago, EdH said:

Scary. Has this been confirmed? I like the auto-select children feature, but not if it trashes my hierarchies!

Auto selection of child tags can be disabled in options. 

You can also hold shift while clicking on a parent tag. This way no child tag will be selected. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, lisec said:

That right there is what I've always wanted; one note with saved searches as links. Then when the neighbour comes over I can click on the link and voila - my Santorini pictures from 2013. I don't have to use up space in saved searches, I don't have to remember how I tagged stuff back then, just click on the link in my page and there you go.  PhaseExpress, eh? I'll look into that, but it is definitely something Evernote should add at one point.

I had to create search for the single note to add to the short cut bar to get all notes context (a note on the short cut bar changes context to the notebook of the note).  The PE syntax is below should you give it a go.  Basically, triple click to highlight the line, copy, my version of the find hot key Alt-F, paste and enter.  Activated by Alt-Right Click.  So two clicks to get there.  FYI, if you don't need the left panel open, the magnifying glass works well for displaying often used saved searches..

{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON -count 3}{#CTRL -chars c}{#ALT -chars f}{#CTRL -chars v}{#ENTER}

3 hours ago, csihilling said:

I had to create search for the single note to add to the short cut bar to get all notes context (a note on the short cut bar changes context to the notebook of the note).  The PE syntax is below should you give it a go.  Basically, triple click to highlight the line, copy, my version of the find hot key Alt-F, paste and enter.  Activated by Alt-Right Click.  So two clicks to get there.  FYI, if you don't need the left panel open, the magnifying glass works well for displaying often used saved searches..

{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON -count 3}{#CTRL -chars c}{#ALT -chars f}{#CTRL -chars v}{#ENTER}

Thanks so much for the details csihilling. I hope I can give it a go on the soon side.

13 hours ago, lisec said:

I use a tag called "archive". If I don't want to see anything old I search for the tags I need and I add -tag:archive.  Easy and works for everything. Maybe that would do the trick?

This works for searches, but not when you're adding tags to notes.

6 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Typing a notebook or tag in the search bar use to suggest "notebooks" and "tags", making a quick way to get to a notebook or tag.

That seems to be gone now? :(  

Correct, welcome to the club. The old way was nice and quick. The new way is inefficient and quite annoying in my opinion.

Just want to add my concern to the loss of the full TAGS page.  I have a deep hierarchy (which will benefit from the ability to display child tags when searching), but when I allocate new tags to a note, they just go to top level.  Then once a month or so I have a tidy, and allocate then to the right place in the hierarchy.  Currently I have two drop down screens of unallocated tags and no easy way to drag and drop them into their right place in the hierarchy.

If I accidentally make a sub tag - let's say: drag'n drop a normal tag below an other normal tag - How can I withdras so that the new sub tag becomes a normal tag? Try it with drag'n drop - getting always sub tags ...

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, TommyB said:

If I accidentally make a sub tag - let's say: drag'n drop a normal tag below an other normal tag - How can I withdras so that the new sub tag becomes a normal tag? Try it with drag'n drop - getting always sub tags ...

Drop it on the Tags icon above all the tags.

• Level 5*

I think this is a bug, may have been reported, sorry if a double post.

I can't create a note and drag an attachment onto it.  I can copy/paste, but not drag. 

Interestingly, I can drag the attachment over the note list and when I drop it a new note is created.  Even more fun, if the note list is based upon a search, the added note inherits the tags of the search.  Didn't know this existed, cool.

• Level 5*

Something else that may be an error, or best case I don't understand.  The below appears in a few notes.  I suppose it is supposed to be the URL for something, but this is a text note.  There is a note link in this note if it makes any difference.

ScreenClip.png

Lost the ability to drag notes to folder shortcuts with new Evernote Windows 6.0.5

Love the new Evernote Windows 6.0.5, but one step back is that when you moved folder shortcuts from the left hand navigation menu to the top menu bar, we lost the ability to drag notes on to the shortcut.

In the previous versions of Evernote Windows, I could position folder shortcuts at the top of the left hand menu and then drag notes on to the folder. Now that shortcuts are at the top, dragging the note on to the folder shortcut simply creates a new shortcut to the note I was dragging.

I would like to be able to create folder shortcuts and then drag notes on to those folders, either on the top or on the left.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, great2bnaustin said:

Lost the ability to drag notes to folder shortcuts with new Evernote Windows 6.0.5

Love the new Evernote Windows 6.0.5, but one step back is that when you moved folder shortcuts from the left hand navigation menu to the top menu bar, we lost the ability to drag notes on to the shortcut.

In the previous versions of Evernote Windows, I could position folder shortcuts at the top of the left hand menu and then drag notes on to the folder. Now that shortcuts are at the top, dragging the note on to the folder shortcut simply creates a new shortcut to the note I was dragging.

I would like to be able to create folder shortcuts and then drag notes on to those folders, either on the top or on the left.

I can still do this, if you by folder mean notebook. If I drag a note onto a notebook pinned in shortcuts, the note will move to that notebook.

• Level 5
On 4/25/2016 at 9:55 AM, EdH said:

It's a confirmed bug, fixed in the upcoming release.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, csihilling said:

Something else that may be an error, or best case I don't understand.  The below appears in a few notes.  I suppose it is supposed to be the URL for something, but this is a text note.  There is a note link in this note if it makes any difference.

ScreenClip.png

Chances are you've created this note by dragging html file from Explorer -- in this case the source url is associated with the note. Click drop down arrow on the right and delete it if you don't need it.

• Level 5*

Could be, will delete the URL in any case.  So you know, not really an html note.  It's based on a template note, either copies or double clicked from the desktop two years ago.  Piqued my interest so I did a sourceurl:* search and found some other interesting though apparently useless and harmless bits.

• about:blank by itself, multiple notes
  • file:/// by itself, many notes
  • file://Table of Contents..many notes
  • P:\, many PDF notes
  • some pointing to my import folder of attachments imported long ago
  • and all the http's you would expect

I now know to just purge should they appear.  Thanks.

Where are my created and updated dates in the note? I know I can find them under Info, but having them INSIDE the note in plain visible sight is much used. 
It's the fastest way to change the date of a note (for example scanning a document with date 1-2-2016 of 3-4-2016. I want that note to have a created date of 1-2-2016, not 3-4-2016)

Put Saved Searches back in the search bar!! 

An ALL NOTEBOOKS and ALL TAGS view please.. You have to be kidding that just using the left pane for organising is the best way? 

I hate the fact that Atlas is being phased out.. I hate it even more that there isn't a equivalent of Ideaplaces for Android. 

Is it true that when dragging a parent tag and placing it elsewhere the child / parent tags get flattened? really??

• Level 5
12 minutes ago, Senol said:

Where are my created and updated dates in the note? I know I can find them under Info, but having them INSIDE the note in plain visible sight is much used. 
It's the fastest way to change the date of a note (for example scanning a document with date 1-2-2016 of 3-4-2016. I want that note to have a created date of 1-2-2016, not 3-4-2016)

There have been several similar complaints about the hidden Created Date field. Frankly, I am shocked that Evernote considers the feel-good UI white space more important than our actual data.

I have my fingers crossed that this comment from an Evernote employee will happen.

"There still is a chance that "add created date to the note info panel" fix can make it into the current GA, and it will certainly be there in the next Beta ... so it could be a few days or weeks. Please stay tuned."

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/95621-created-date-hidden-in-latest-windows-version/

• Level 5*

Really hoping the saved searches remake their appearance in the search box drop down soon. It is almost unusable to me as it is now below 60 notebooks and 600+ tags. It is actually faster for me to type in some of my more commonly used saved searches than to scroll.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, EdH said:

Really hoping the saved searches remake their appearance in the search box drop down soon. It is almost unusable to me as it is now below 60 notebooks and 600+ tags. It is actually faster for me to type in some of my more commonly used saved searches than to scroll.

(in the mean time) Quickest way right now is to press F10 and the magnifying glass on the left.

• Level 5*
Just now, gustavgi said:

(in the mean time) Quickest way right now is to press F10 and the magnifying glass on the left.

just tell me where to send the check...

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Senol said:

What's this new button in a note? the Repeat Command F4   button in the editing toolbar. 

Seems lika a macro function which just repeats the last editing action you did.

An example would be if you right click selected text and chose to change the font and text size in the same operation, and you want to do the same to another part of the note, you wouldn't have to pick the font and size again.

• Level 5*

Can someone on the EN team look at the difference in the rendering engine for deleted and regular notes? I get my pay stubs via a link to an online site, and I clip them to Evernote. This has always worked fine until 6.0.4. I think it was actually ok in 6.01 and 6.03.

The first note is how part of my pay stub looks when clipped via the EN clipper for Chrome in my @Inbox folder or any other folder. The second note is how it looks in Evernote if I have deleted the note. Very strange. The results are the same regardless of whether the note is in its own window or in the note pane of the main EN window.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAE_ZzGvduRE9oxPK9yOLY7KPoWhycKvmx4/

It seems to not then be an issue of the clipper, but how, for some reason, EN renders a living vs trashed note.

Things are definitely looking better with version 6. Much as it pains me to point this out but the printing issues are still with us though... clipped characters, missing underlining. Is there any chance this will ever be fixed?

ScreenClip.png

Please  bring back "all tags"  view

Since updating to version 6 of Evernote on Windows, I am unable to open all  tags. 

In the previous version, I could simply double click on the tags section and it would open in a "new window" with an A-Z index of all my tags like an index of a book. This was highly useful as I   have hundreds of tags and could quickly get a "bird's eye" view of my work  and stack tags on top of each other. This is the essence of John Locke's commonplace method - a reconfigurable  index that grows with you. For years,  Evernote emulated that perfectly! 

This functionality is gone  now. Please bring it back. Being forced to scroll through hundreds of tags in a tiny sidebar is not practical. (Even if I resize the sidebar it all stays in one hopelessly long single column of tags). 

Two bugs that I reported already during the private beta are still there:

Styles for notebooks are not synced.

Stacks in Shortcuts (left sidebar) are constantly being collapsed and don't remember their settings (open/closed).

3 hours ago, jpaz said:

How do we make the formatting toolbar appear automatically when editing? Only see Tool-Options-Note check/uncheck Allways show

LOL; I didn't know it could go away till now.  Mine is always there.

Hail Mary idea: uninstall / reinstall Evernote? 

I'd like to suggest something regarding search.  I think the amount of time between when something is entered and when the search takes place should be configurable.  For example, if I type "tag:project" and want to continue typing to add "my great project", the search begins working before I stop typing and locks up the UI.  I think that's likely what some have complained about regarding the search being "slow."  It's not slow, but it starts searching too quickly.  I'd like to be to adjust it.  I think it shouldn't start searching until typing has stopped for about 1 second, but other users might want a shorter or longer amount of time.  I'd suggest configuring the time amount in milliseconds.

Fantastic product.  Love the update.

Thanks,

Scott Hatfield

New little number badge at the desktop icon? Notes are synced and no reminder - what is the meaning of this number?

number.jpg

//Edit: just found it - new WorkChat message (but I've no WorChat in the sidebar, so I  didn't know)

• Level 5
On 4/27/2016 at 8:37 AM, EdH said:

Please try Alt+F3 will bring up Saved Search Picker

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Scott Hatfield said:

I'd like to suggest something regarding search.  I think the amount of time between when something is entered and when the search takes place should be configurable.  For example, if I type "tag:project" and want to continue typing to add "my great project", the search begins working before I stop typing and locks up the UI.  I think that's likely what some have complained about regarding the search being "slow."  It's not slow, but it starts searching too quickly.  I'd like to be to adjust it.  I think it shouldn't start searching until typing has stopped for about 1 second, but other users might want a shorter or longer amount of time.  I'd suggest configuring the time amount in milliseconds.

The search delay time is configurable by registry setting HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SearchAsYouTypeDelay -- the setting specifies milliseconds, default value is 50. Note that if you set it to 0, search as you type feature will be disabled and you'll have to press Enter or click search icon at the right of the search box to kick the search.

• Level 5

Edit: just found it - new WorkChat message (but I've no WorChat in the sidebar, so I  didn't know

WorkChat button with number of unread threads shows up in your toolbar when you receive new messages

Is it me or the note margin was reduced in the last update? I was hoping to see an increase in note margins not a decrease :(.

I'm also having trouble with the auto hide toolbar. I like the idea, but when I open a note the toolbar is hidden and it will remain hidden even if I start to edit it. If I leave the note and come back to it, the toolbar will show up even if I didn't made any change in the note.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Scott Hatfield said:

Fantastic product.  Love the update.

Thanks,

Scott Hatfield

There is a tool called ENregedit which can be used to adjust the SearchAsYouTypeDelay in the registry.  You can find it here.  If you set the value to 0 the search will not begin until you hit enter.  If you enter 1000 the search will begin one second after your last keystroke.

If you are uncomfortable with using the tool, you can modify the above value using Regedit, HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote.

MAJOR FLAW!  I have five premium accounts that I USED TO be able to switch between. No longer on the upgrade.  Customer Service said it is a know issue.  Thank god I was able to go back to version 5.

Please correct the implementation of how the Evernote icon behaves when its pinned to the Windows 10 taskbar - see image for details.

Note how Firefox, xplorer2, Sigil and File Explorer do not create transient icons, i.e. they conform to the Taskbar buttons:->Always combine, hide labels setting.

Thank you - RP

Clipboard02.jpg

hace 33 minutos, RightPaddock dijo:

Please correct the implementation of how the Evernote icon behaves when its pinned to the Windows 10 taskbar - see image for details.

Note how Firefox, xplorer2, Sigil and File Explorer do not create transient icons, i.e. they conform to the Taskbar buttons:->Always combine, hide labels setting.

Thanks you - RP

That used to happen to me in the last v5 versions, but now they seem to be working for me just fine.

I used to fix that by unpinning the "permament" icon and re pinning the "transient" one. That way I had no problems until the next update.

12 hours ago, nicobro88 said:

That used to happen to me in the last v5 versions, but now they seem to be working for me just fine.

I used to fix that by unpinning the "permament" icon and re pinning the "transient" one. That way I had no problems until the next update.

Thanks - hadn't tried that one, it worked.  Tried pinning it from - start menu->all apps, the .exe, and the shortcut the install ALWAYS puts on my desktop {sigh}

We'll see what happens at next update.  How come lesser software, in terms of usage and cost, can get these little things right.

RP

• Level 5
On 4/26/2016 at 8:22 AM, eldrin said:

Evernote v6.0.5 is still unable to remember the state of its maximized window between reboots.

Maximize your Evernote window and then quit the client using Ctrl+Q. It should save the maximized state across reboots after doing that.

I know a lot is flooding in here, but, this one changes the workflow of Evernote, so I want to mention it.

If you right click on the Evernote icon on the taskbar and select "New Note," that new note's notebook used to default to your "default notebook" ---- but now they are going into the "currently in use" notebook.   Any chance this can go back to the way it was?  To me, the way it was made more sense as if you are working outside of Evernote and want to remember something, you could use "New Note" from the Windows Environment (or the related hot key) to make a note in your "inbox" to address later.  (Go #GTD!)

Thanks @Stephane Lo and @emerick for listening and all you are doing. :-)  

Two bugs in the Note display, see attached screen shot.

The drop down windows for the font name and font size don't line up.

Also when you cut/copy and paste check boxes, the pasted boxes have a shadow, This problem started with the last revision.

Otherwise, great product!

Thanks,

KB 

Evernote Bugs.JPG

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Generally very happy with the new build,  but I have found one oddity - if I copy and paste text from Word into a note,  Some non-alpha characters are replaced by code,  which requires some fixing.

If I copy this forinstance -

As far as we know our information is correct – but always check with the event page before you book;  we can only go by what’s published online and posted to our pages.  We are not responsible for any errors or omissions or any content of external sites.

(That's Windows 8.1 / Calibri text / Word 2013)

What I get is this - - -

As far as we know our information is correct ndash; but always check with the event page before you book;  we can only go by whatrsquo;s published online and posted to our pages.  We are not responsible for any errors or omissions or any content of external sites.

(I've shown the differences in red)

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Generally very happy with the new build,  but I have found one oddity - if I copy and paste text from Word into a note,  Some non-alpha characters are replaced by code,  which requires some fixing.

If I copy this forinstance -

As far as we know our information is correct – but always check with the event page before you book;  we can only go by what’s published online and posted to our pages.  We are not responsible for any errors or omissions or any content of external sites.

(That's Windows 8.1 / Calibri text / Word 2013)

What I get is this - - -

As far as we know our information is correct ndash; but always check with the event page before you book;  we can only go by whatrsquo;s published online and posted to our pages.  We are not responsible for any errors or omissions or any content of external sites.

(I've shown the differences in red)

Tested with Win 10, Word 2016, Calibri - here it worked fine ...

I can't sort any of my search shortcuts on the left side in Evernote 6.  

I see a bar appear when I click and drag a shortcut that makes it seem like it will work but at the same time I see the "not allowed" symbol.  

It would be one thing if you kept the sort order from Evernote 5.  It's a big jumbled mess now.  Disappointing.

Please fix!:)

On 4/30/2016 at 1:51 AM, emerick said:

Maximize your Evernote window and then quit the client using Ctrl+Q. It should save the maximized state across reboots after doing that.

I'll try that out later, but why should that extra step be necessary? Other Windows applications don't require that. When they get shut down automatically when Windows restarts, they remember their last window state. Is this bug going to be fixed?

EDIT: Quitting with Ctrl+Q doesn't save the maximized state either. This is such a simple thing to test -- I wonder why no-one at Evernote will test it and fix it.

Hi there...

I noticed this morning after upgrading to v6.0.6 that the Evernote plugin in windows didn't appear in the toolbar.  I removed and reinstalled Evernote, but no button.

I'm using windows 7 and outlook 2007... is this supported?  Something else going on??

Thanks!

Karl

38 minutes ago, kmarble said:

Hi there...

I noticed this morning after upgrading to v6.0.6 that the Evernote plugin in windows didn't appear in the toolbar.  I removed and reinstalled Evernote, but no button.

I'm using windows 7 and outlook 2007... is this supported?  Something else going on??

Thanks!

Karl

I'm having the exact same problem.

Hi, Since I installed 6.06 i cannot search across all notebooks anymore. One of the main big features I loved Evernote and why I am using it. Have you kicked that out or have you changed settings? Without this feature I cannot use Evernote anymore, I built all my notebooks around this option and I am lost without it. How can I do this now?  Thanks, Silvia

• Level 5*
On 4/29/2016 at 11:36 AM, kvitekp said:

The search delay time is configurable by registry setting HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SearchAsYouTypeDelay -- the setting specifies milliseconds, default value is 50. Note that if you set it to 0, search as you type feature will be disabled and you'll have to press Enter or click search icon at the right of the search box to kick the search.

Thanks for providing an option to disable incremental search.

This has received many, many complaints since you introduced it a long time ago, years I think.
But your post for the fix is buried deep in this thread, where it is unlikely to be found later by users who have the same complaint.
Also, there are many advisories on the Internet, including Microsoft, who warn against making changes to the Registry, so many users may decline to do so.

Don't you see the value in making it a setting under EN Win Options (and under EN Mac Preferences)?

Archived