Stephane Lo

New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6) GA

Idea

Today, we started rolling out Evernote v6.0 for Windows to the general public.
This is a big milestone for the team, and we couldn’t have gotten here without your continuous input and feedback.

Of course, this is not the end and there is still a lot to do. For instance, we’ve heard the recent comments on Saved Searches. This was an intentional change to simplify the overall experience. We understand it affected the workflow of many people and are bringing this feature in a hotfix release very soon while we continue exploring how to best evolve saved searches to be relevant for a wider audience.

In the meantime, now that v6.0 is officially released, let’s help as many people, new and old, find and enjoy this release. We’d greatly appreciate your support with the public launch of this release, on the blog and on social media!

As usual, please keep sending feedback, suggestions, and use cases our way. Many thanks.

**EDIT: the release is now updated with a 6.0.6 Hotfix**

You can download the updated v6.0.6 here

-----

New in 6.0.6:

• Fixed loss of tag structure on drag and drop of nested tags
  • Fixed bug with subscription expired message 
  • Fixed various crashes

Fixed in 6.0.5:

• Saved Searches are back
    • Find your existing and new saved searches in the left sidebar below Tags
    • Create new saved searches from the left sidebar saved searches section or right-click on the search description
  • Fixed crash on switching Evernote account
  • Fixed crash when importing from OneNote 2016
  • Fixed ENScript exportNotes bug

If you’re updating from v6.0.3 beta:

• Selecting a notebook or tag highlights it in the left side bar. Override this behavior in the settings
  • Added option to trash the original note when copying between Personal and Business.
  • And 30 smaller bugs.

If you're updating from v5.9.9 and below, check out the blog announcement and the release notes.

Edited by Stephane Lo
Updated with 6.0.6
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Stephane Lo said:

This is a big milestone for the team

Congratulations to the team.

1 hour ago, Stephane Lo said:

Of course, this is not the end and there is still a lot to do. For instance, we’ve heard the recent comments on Saved Searches. This was an intentional change to simplify the overall experience. We understand it affected the workflow of many people and are bringing this feature in a hotfix release very soon while we continue exploring how to best evolve saved searches to be relevant for a wider audience.

Out of interest, what exactly was wrong with clicking in the search bar and having your saved searches appear?  Or typing in the search bar to find a search?  Seemed pretty simple and elegant, all in one place: new searches, recent searches and saved searches.  New way kind of makes saved searches not so useful, and the search bar a bit less w/o recent searches, IMO. 

Edited by csihilling
  • Like 2

I agree with the congratulations to the team! The program is getting to be even more useful! Love the focus the team now has.

Also agree that we need a way to be able to save searches (OK, found that one - right click on the search area) and recall them. Right-clicking on the a shortcut and creating a new shortcut seems a little difficult to find. Why not a button to save a search, and one to view saved searches? Otherwise, I could end up with a lot of duplicate saved searches unless I remember to create them as shortcuts... Some searches I want to save, others I want to save as shortcuts. And I may change my mind about saving searches in the future. So how about the same flexibility with saving searches as we have with saving tags?

One other request - the tags icon in the left panel needs to have the option to open the tag "tree" - even without any tag hierarchy, the tree view is a great way to identify tags that have been spelled incorrectly and added to the list without needing them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, csihilling said:

Out of interest, what exactly was wrong with clicking in the search bar and having your saved searches appear? 

This made sense when Search Box was at the top of the the UI hierarchy, so whatever was typed there could search any searchable item type. In V6 SearchBox was moved on top of the note list to get it closer to search results, which are only notes, so in V6 Search Box searches notes only.

Soon there will be a way to search everything again better than before. Hint: check a new feature recently added to the Mac version.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2016 at 3:49 PM, FactMan said:

Also agree that we need a way to be able to save searches (OK, found that one - right click on the search area) and recall them. Right-clicking on the a shortcut and creating a new shortcut seems a little difficult to find. Why not a button to save a search, and one to view saved searches? Otherwise, I could end up with a lot of duplicate saved searches unless I remember to create them as shortcuts... Some searches I want to save, others I want to save as shortcuts. And I may change my mind about saving searches in the future. So how about the same flexibility with saving searches as we have with saving tags?

UI to expose and manage existing saved searches is code complete and will be released as hot fix really soon, please stay tuned and don't waste your time rearranging your saved searches.

• Like 1

I just tried the Windows client, typically I use the web version because there's no Linux client. 

The thing is, I've prefixed all my tags with symbols (+, =, ?, ...) and I've chosen them specifically because their sort order. So on a note the + tags are always first, etc. That works perfectly in the web version. But the sort order of all the tags on a particular note is different on the Windows version!

For example, create a Note and add the four tags: +agenda 5-Someday ?Eric =Blog. On the web version they will stay in that order. On the Windows version however they will be ?Eric +agenda =Blog 5-Someday. 

It would be really nice if the sort order of the tags on a Note was consistent. And really really nice if Notes could be sorted by their tags in the web version (like you can do in the Windows version). And really really really nice if the web had a list view like the Windows version does.

• Like 1

In my excitement, I impulsively went ahead and posted a thread in the General forum without checking in here. I am really and truly blown away at minimalist yet powerful changes to the Windows client. My hat off to you Windows team!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schultzter said:

e Windows client, typically I use the web version because there's no Linux client. 

The thing is, I've prefixed all my tags with symbols (+, =, ?, ...) and I've chosen them specifically because their sort order. So on a note the + tags are always first, etc. That works perfectly in the web version. But the sort order of all the tags on a particular note is different on the Windows version!

For example, create a Note and add the four tags: +agenda 5-Someday ?Eric =Blog. On the web version they will stay in that order. On the Windows version however they will be ?Eric +agenda =Blog 5-Someday. 

It would be really nice if the sort order of the tags on a Note was consistent. And really really nice if Notes could be sorted by their tags in the web version (like you can do in the Windows version). And really really really nice if the web had a list view like the Windows version does.

Thank you for the suggestion, inconsistent note tags order is an oversight. Thank you for reporting.

• Like 1

Holy smokes! Selecting (or searching) a parent tag now (optionally) includes all nested tags. Searching from any level down is major! Whereas before, nesting was merely a visual means of keeping some semblance of order, nesting is now also highly functional as it relates to search. 

Please also:

1. Restore the back and forward note navigation.
  2. Restore the Activity button so I can see when I last synced.
  3. Move the Trash button back to the list of notebooks, consistent with the Android client.

Are there any plans to add more features to the note editor?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

This made sense when Search Box was at the top of the the UI hierarchy, so whatever was typed there could search any searchable item type. In V6 SearchBox was moved on top of the note list to get it closer to search results, which are only notes, so in V6 Search Box searches notes only.

At the end of the day all searches are for notes only.  Stack, notebook, tag, text, and values like created are just the tools to find them.  Notebook:nbname still works in the search bar as far as I can tell.  Positioning of the bar and the way the search builds is definitely superior to the previous method.  Losing easy access to saved and recent searches, not so much.  Please don't take this as grousing, just providing feedback on a productivity hit for my use case.

Soon there will be a way to search everything again better than before.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 3

The new client application for Windows looks slick! Being a Mac user myself, I only use the Windows app on my work PC. I can't help but think that the Mac app always is miles ahead of the Windows app. With this version, the Windows app comes very close, though!

I've been using the V6 since yesterday and I have 3 remarks:

• I'm not able to find my saved searches. I read that I'm supposed to get to them by right-clicking in the Search Area, but unfortunately, that doesn't work. See attached file for the popup I get when I use right-click in the Search Area. Furthermore, I'm not able to save any searches. Am I doing anything wrong?
  • Whenever I add a screenshot or other picture to the bottom of a note, the UI shoots back to the very top of the note. Since I tend to have some large notes, this is a very annoying behavior, since I have to go to the end of the note manually everytime.
  • +1 for the ability to have the lable tree and the lable overview back.

Apart from that: keep up the good work! I've been an enthusiastic EN user fro quite some years now.

RightClickInSearchArea.png

The tags created with this new version of Windows are not synchronized to Android. Urgent fix. It is not the only problem it seems ... very disappointed. Use evernote is no longer a pleasure. It is becoming a nightmare.

4 hours ago, Enertse said:

Please also:

1. Restore the back and forward note navigation.
  2. Restore the Activity button so I can see when I last synced.
  3. Move the Trash button back to the list of notebooks, consistent with the Android client.

Are there any plans to add more features to the note editor?

#1 and #2 are still there for me. You'll need to right click on your toolbar to customize. You'll find them in the pop out tray... Drag them to your toolbar. 

I rather like the trash where it is now... And the fact that notes in trash show up in the search explanation as sort of footnotes. 

• Like 1

I previously reported in the forum 'New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 Beta': "Sometimes when I single click on a "shortcut" to select it, the "shortcut" disappears: it's happened to various "shortcuts". Not a huge problem: I just go down into my "tags" and create a new "shortcut". Has anybody else experienced this?"

I have since upgraded to '6.0.4.1688 (301688) Public': the problem still exists.

Good Morning Stephane

Really like the updates you have included and I'm excited to see that development continues on the Windows version.  

However there is an item that consistently seems to be missing from the Windows client: the ability to to hand-write and draw within notes.  This functionality seems to be available in every other platform with the exception of Windows.  Please, please, please add this in - I'm at the point where this is such a real and present issue that when I Google 'evernote to onenote migration' I can see that Microsoft now have official support to move me to OneNote where I can do this:  

https://blogs.office.com/2016/03/11/make-the-move-from-evernote-to-onenote-today/

I started my paperless journey in OneNote years ago and jumped ship to Evernote because the sync across devices worked reliably and the clean interface was intuitive with adaptation to each platform.  Evernote introduced business support and as CTO I rolled it into my business where it thrived.  However, Windows10 & Surface are now a thing - and a thing the whole company will move to.  This is not going away.  I need apps that play well with a touch enabled Windows based devices - Evernote is my only app that doesn't.  Microsoft have removed my other barriers to return to OneNote (took them long enough but they are there now).

I'm not the only one this applies to - Microsoft have moved and their mass-market product now has the capability to be an Evernote-killer.

Help me out - keep the faith - pls add touch support in the Windows client quickly!

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

DATA CORRUPTED AFTER UPGRADE!!!

After the upgrade to this newest release, I created a new note. This seems OK in the windows evernote, but in the Android version, the title of the new note is mixed with the content of an existing note !!!

Please solve this crosstalk as soon as possible, I don't dare to use evernote anymore :-)

• Like 2

Congrats for achieving this milestone. I'm happy to see lately that EN is paying close attention in upgrading this great tool. And here goes the "yes, but...."

Well, Atlas is lost and I'm not happy. I used to use a lot the Atlas feature to search for notes I took with my cellular device in a specific location, and I guess I'm not the only one who did it.

Please, bring it back

Cheers

• Like 7

Version 6.0 is a definite improvement - thanks. I like the way search works. One new bug to report is that the keyboard shortcuts Alt-Left arrow and Alt-right arrow (used to navigate history) are broken if you open a note in a separate window. When you try to navigate in the note window it actually operates in the main Evernote window! Very confusing. It works fine if you use the mouse on the < and > icons in the notes toolbar so it should not be hard to fix.

I am on Windows 10

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, motz said:

One new bug to report is that the keyboard shortcuts Alt-Left arrow and Alt-right arrow (used to navigate history) are broken if you open a note in a separate window. When you try to navigate in the note window it actually operates in the main Evernote window! Very confusing. It works fine if you use the mouse on the < and > icons in the notes toolbar so it should not be hard to fix.

I think it works the way it should. You know you have a certain note open... why would Alt+Left/Right arrow not navigate back or forward on the main interface? Also, I don't see the navigating click-on arrows that you're talking about in a pop-out note (or in the notes toolbar). I only see that on the main UI. 

tried it out for a minute. seems good overall but i couldn't find the left/right navigation buttons anywhere and the same with the atlas. have these features been removed completely or will they be added back in at some stage?

also, when did adding hyper links/note links to images get removed? ive mostly been using evernote web for the last year so i havnt noticed the change. ive reverted back to version 5.6 for now as i use note links quite a bit to get around evernote but like being able to embed the links in images instead of just having the green link text showing up. 

nice to see some good updates anyway, thanks

1 hour ago, Frank.dg said:

I think it works the way it should. You know you have a certain note open... why would Alt+Left/Right arrow not navigate back or forward on the main interface? Also, I don't see the navigating click-on arrows that you're talking about in a pop-out note (or in the notes toolbar). I only see that on the main UI. 

I suggest you try it and see if you still agree with yourself. You only see the click-on arrows if you have clicked on a link in the note window (there is no history to navigate otherwise - good design choice from the developer).

It is clearly a bug because the keyboard shortcut does something different from the mouse click (it is also a change from version 5). We can debate which behaviour is wrong, but I think if you try it out you will quickly agree with me. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, motz said:

I suggest you try it and see if you still agree with yourself. You only see the click-on arrows if you have clicked on a link in the note window (there is no history to navigate otherwise - good design choice from the developer).

It is clearly a bug because the keyboard shortcut does something different from the mouse click (it is also a change from version 5). We can debate which behaviour is wrong, but I think if you try it out you will quickly agree with me. 

OK... I see what you mean with following a link while in the pop-up note window. The Alt+Left/ Right arrow keyboard shortcuts do not behave as do the clickable navigating arrows. You are correct... and it is an irritant if that is part of your workflow. 

Most likely an oversight on the Windows team's part. I think the behavior is fine if you haven't followed any links in your note window... because I would treat that as a standalone note... but if you are intentionally clicking on note links within a note window, you should be able to navigate back and forward by either using your keyboard or clicking. They need to change that.

Thanks for pointing that out. 

1 hour ago, savagecabage said:

i couldn't find the left/right navigation buttons anywhere

If you're talking about the main UI... you'll have to right click on the uppermost toolbar to customize... and a pop-out panel will appear. You can drag icons onto and off the toolbar. If you're talking about the navigation buttons within a pop-out note window's toolbar.... those only appear, as @motz pointed out, once you follow a note link within the note window itself. 

Many people seem to be asking for Atlas back. It may very well appear again, as will saved searches.

1 hour ago, Cao Yi said:

The new version 6.0 does not contain the 'All Tags' page, which I need for my hundreds tags.

Have you tried working from the left panel and expanding nested tag hierarchies there? You can now color your tags , which may help to easily locate certain nested hierarchies visually... or you could perform a search rather quickly by either clicking on your tag icon in the left panel, using  Alt+F2/ Shift+Alt+T... or clicking on the tag icon in the note toolbar's search explanation.

6 hours ago, eric99 said:

DATA CORRUPTED AFTER UPGRADE!!!

After the upgrade to this newest release, I created a new note. This seems OK in the windows evernote, but in the Android version, the title of the new note is mixed with the content of an existing note !!!

Please solve this crosstalk as soon as possible, I don't dare to use evernote anymore :-)

I had some time to investigate this further: the new note seems to be OK in the windows and evernote on web; in the Android version, the new note title keeps mixed with an existing note content and I can't get rid of that by resyncing  This is scary, I'm very tolerant for most bugs, but I get nervous when data consistency gets compromised!

@evernote: is this a known bug and/or  is this related to the new windows release (I have never seen this before...) . Maybe the note format is incompatible with the Android version? 

It would be nice if notebook drop-down on the left panel displayed the total number of notebooks I currently have in my account in parenthesis as it used to do with notes dropdown. When I click on the Notebooks the total number of notes in an account is displayed below the search box in the dropdown, which is fine, but it uses the word "All Notebooks" without making clear how many notebooks I currently have. If parenthesis will not work, maybe it can be done the way described below. Since there is 250 notebook limit for personal accounts it will make it easier to keep track of them. Instead of me counting all the notebooks on the screen or worrying about not getting over the limit, since nowhere in Evernote (account area including) it says how many notebooks I have.

Evernote Suggestion.pngis

• Like 1

A couple of questions on search.

1. When you use the search hot key, focus is returned to the search bar but the existing search is still there.  Is there a way to go to the search bar and reset the context at the same time?  Seems there are extra clicks in this version to clear.
  2. When you select a shortcut which points to a note, the notebook of the note becomes the context.  Any way to have the context be All Notes?  Not sure why the assumption that only the notebook of the note is pertinent to the next steps in the search?  Easy enough to select All Notes after clicking the shortcut, but still.

Use case explanation - I have a note in the shortcut bar containing a table of searches (easier for me to manage the less used searches here vs shortcuts).  I have a PhaseExpress hotkey that selects the search text and executes the saved search.  Two clicks and I have the search in play.  Now, the saved search will only search the note notebook unless I click all notes first.  Is there an all notes hot key, or will I be wearing out the All Notes icon?  ;)

EDIT:  Workaround for 2) is to create a search for the one note and that search to the shortcut bar instead of the actual note.  End up in the same place in all notes context.  FWIW.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Majortom said:

Well, Atlas is lost and I'm not happy. I used to use a lot the Atlas feature to search for notes I took with my cellular device in a specific location, and I guess I'm not the only one who did it.

Please, bring it back

Atlas is being intentionally phased out and it will not come back. This is a deliberate decision, from 2 factors: 

1. This feature is used by less than 1% of our users and iOS/Android already phased that out.
  2. The service and API we use to power that feature is getting deprecated and we do not have a viable alternative.
5 hours ago, Cao Yi said:

The new version 6.0 does not contain the 'All Tags' page, which I need for my hundreds tags.

This is also a conscious design decision and there are no plans to bring those screens back. We believe the current tag system in the left sidebar provides all the previous functionalities in a similar if not better form. Of course, we will keep improving on the current experience to allow easier organization. Please expand on what use cases are now made harder, and we'll see how this can be solved. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, eric99 said:

I had some time to investigate this further: the new note seems to be OK in the windows and evernote on web; in the Android version, the new note title keeps mixed with an existing note content and I can't get rid of that by resyncing  This is scary, I'm very tolerant for most bugs, but I get nervous when data consistency gets compromised!

@evernote: is this a known bug and/or  is this related to the new windows release (I have never seen this before...) . Maybe the note format is incompatible with the Android version? 

We haven't seen this issue before and will investigate. How systematically are you seeing this issue? Can you PM me an enex export of the note?

12 minutes ago, Stephane Lo said:

Atlas is being intentionally phased out and it will not come back. This is a deliberate decision, from 2 factors: 

1. This feature is used by less than 1% of our users and iOS/Android already phased that out.
  2. The service and API we use to power that feature is getting deprecated and we do not have a viable alternative.

This is also a conscious design decision and there are no plans to bring those screens back. We believe the current tag system in the left sidebar provides all the previous functionalities in a similar if not better form. Of course, we will keep improving on the current experience to allow easier organization. Please expand on what use cases are now made harder, and we'll see how this can be solved. 

I truly appreciate the transparancy. It also makes it easier to know what to fight extra for if neccessary.

Though I am gonna miss the All Tags view. Mainly because it was great to be able to sort tags by dragging and dropping from the All Tags view into the left panel. Moving a new tag from the bottom to the top of a hiearchy using only the left panel isn't a great experience. Now I've started to create the tag in the hiearchy first while creating a new note, but I prefer the old way where I could focus on finishing the note and to dive into the tag sorting after I was done with the note. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stephane Lo said:

"All Tags" and "All Notebooks" (multi column like Mac version) = You can see 50, 60 Tags or notebooks at a glance and find your aim without scrolling.

Sidebars = yes, it works too, but you have to scroll .... and to scroll ... and to scroll ...

you have to squint your eyes ... no problem for young developers - but for "old" users with glasses and notebooks ... you see ... ;-)

• Like 1

For instance, we’ve heard the recent comments on Saved Searches. This was an intentional change to simplify the overall experience. We understand it affected the workflow of many people and are bringing this feature in a hotfix release very soon

Ah! Great!!! Thank you!!!

• Like 1

As an Evernote Business user I like the idea to have the option of showing shortcuts for personal only when in personal notebooks and business only when in business notebooks. This works fine when placing a tag on the shortcuts bar, however if i create a search using several business tags then save it to the shortcut bar then it shows in the personal notes shortcuts as well as the business shortcuts. Of course if I click on the shortcut when in personal notes it returns a null search, which it will do because the saved search is made up of business tags and not personal tags.

16 hours ago, giogio80 said:

The tags created with this new version of Windows are not synchronized to Android. Urgent fix. It is not the only problem it seems ... very disappointed. Use evernote is no longer a pleasure. It is becoming a nightmare.

Sorry to hear that. Please try to uncheck Tools/Options/Sync [X] "Enable instant sync" and let us know if new tag synchronization problem persists.

13 hours ago, eric99 said:

This is certainly not expected, would it be possible to give us more details? Better yet, take this to Evernote customer support.

11 hours ago, motz said:

Version 6.0 is a definite improvement - thanks. I like the way search works. One new bug to report is that the keyboard shortcuts Alt-Left arrow and Alt-right arrow (used to navigate history) are broken if you open a note in a separate window. When you try to navigate in the note window it actually operates in the main Evernote window! Very confusing. It works fine if you use the mouse on the < and > icons in the notes toolbar so it should not be hard to fix.

Oops, this is a bug. Thank you for reporting!

3 hours ago, Stephane Lo said:

The service and API we use to power that feature is getting deprecated and we do not have a viable alternative

Hi @Stephane Lo

Will coordinate (longitude, latitude, altitude) searches continue to work?

3 hours ago, Stephane Lo said:

Atlas is being intentionally phased out and it will not come back.

There's an iPhone app called IdeaPlaces, which uses location data to transform our Evernote notes into visual points on a map. It also syncs with Dropbox and can be given access to your camera roll...

In the screenshot below, you'll see the blue pins are dropbox image files, whereas the green pins are Evernote notes. This is the area where I live, ha!:

bird's eye view.PNG

When you pinch to zoom, your Dropbox images and/ or Evernote note content show as thumbnail images. You can tap on those to reveal a gallery of notes/ images which you can scroll through... which in turn can be enlarged to full size or you can slide out a bottom panel to see larger thumbnails. You can also create an Evernote note, take pictures and much more from within IdeaPlaces, which will sync through to Evernote instantly. Works a charm! Below you'll see a thumbnail image at a mall I frequent and a scrollable gallery of images:

Mall.PNG

This is a free app and is featured in Evernote's App Center. I'm hoping Evernote will give them more of a shout-out and point to them as an Atlas Alternative (but way better).  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keisoko said:

It would be nice if notebook drop-down on the left panel displayed the total number of notebooks I currently have in my account in parenthesis as it used to do with notes dropdown.

If you hover mouse pointer over the expand/collapse button at the left of Notebooks item in the left panel the tool tip will tell you how many notebooks you have.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, csihilling said:

When you use the search hot key, focus is returned to the search bar but the existing search is still there.  Is there a way to go to the search bar and reset the context at the same time?  Seems there are extra clicks in this version to clear.

Set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/ResetContextOnSearch to 1 and the current search context will be cleared when you press F6.

When you select a shortcut which points to a note, the notebook of the note becomes the context.  Any way to have the context be All Notes?  Not sure why the assumption that only the notebook of the note is pertinent to the next steps in the search?  Easy enough to select All Notes after clicking the shortcut, but still.

Looks like a bug to me -- expected behavior is: if the note is found in the currently selected context, the context should stay intact.Otherwise the context should be cleared and set to All Notes. Thank you for reporting.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

Hi @Stephane Lo

Will coordinate (longitude, latitude, altitude) searches continue to work?

There's an iPhone app called IdeaPlaces, which uses location data to transform our Evernote notes into visual points on a map. It also syncs with Dropbox and can be given access to your camera roll...

I just downloaded this app. Looks really cool. Thanks for the Idea !!!

• Like 1

My update attempt from 5.9 to 6.0.4 via Help/Check for updates failed. I got messages about finding a .msi in a path or something that I did not understand and "Contact Support".   Instead I downloaded Evernote_6.0.4.1688.exe from this Blog.  When I ran it the install seemed to proceed to completion without any messages but Help/About says I have 5.9 and Evernote looks the same as always. I would really like the latest version.  What am I doing wrong please?

P.S.  I just re-tried the "Help/Check for updates" method and this time it went without a hitch BUT I am still being told I have 5.9

2 hours ago, kvitekp said:

If you hover mouse pointer over the expand/collapse button at the left of Notebooks item in the left panel the tool tip will tell you how many notebooks you have.

The trick is to not have hovered over the notebook/ tag tab before sliding to the expand/ collapse arrow. You have to go directly to the arrow the it'll show...

25 minutes ago, Herbie said:

My update attempt from 5.9 to 6.0.4 via Help/Check for updates failed. I got messages about finding a .msi in a path or something that I did not understand and "Contact Support".   Instead I downloaded Evernote_6.0.4.1688.exe from this Blog.  When I ran it the install seemed to proceed to completion without any messages but Help/About says I have 5.9 and Evernote looks the same as always. I would really like the latest version.  What am I doing wrong please?

P.S.  I just re-tried the "Help/Check for updates" method and this time it went without a hitch BUT I am still being told I have 5.9

Not sure what the problem is, however you may want to try uninstalling 5.9 before installing V6.

2 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

The trick is to not have hovered over the notebook/ tag tab before sliding to the expand/ collapse arrow. You have to go directly to the arrow the it'll show...

Yeah, that's how Windows tootips work... not sure if we want to fix that.

13 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Yeah, that's how Windows tootips work... not sure if we want to fix that.

That was not for your benefit, ha! Just got to know how to find it... I do appreciate it, though :-)

6 hours ago, Stephane Lo said:
11 hours ago, Cao Yi said:

@Stephane Lo, have you done ANY usability testing with a large number of tags, say > 1,000?

After all, Evernote does state it will support up to 100,000 tags.  Can you say, with a straight face, the EN Win will actually do this?

The old design of the Tags View was poor, but this is a disaster for management of a large number of tags.

IAC, please include a much functionality as you can in the right-click context menu for Tags in the Left Side Panel:

Tag List -- Right-click on any tag to:

• Move under Parent Tag (provides Tag selection like with the Tag Filter)
  • Move to Top Level
  • Rename
  • Delete
  • Assign to Selected Notes
  • UnAssign from Selected Notes
  • Unassign from All Notes
  • Collapse/Expand All below this Tag
  • Create Shortcut

Right-click on "Tags" icon/banner
  • Create Tag
  • Find Tag
  • Include Child Tags in Searches (check on/off)
  • Assign Selected Tags to New Notes (check on/off)
  • Sort by Name (check on/off)
  • Sort by Note Count (check on/off)

• Like 3

Set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/ResetContextOnSearch to 1 and the current search context will be cleared when you press F6.

Fantastic, thanks!

11 hours ago, Stephane Lo said:

I think such transparency which we never had under the previous Evernote management goes on to impress users in a long way. Hopefully, we wont be hearing anymore ' Evernote does not reveal its plans openly' kind of statements. 

We appreciate the efforts put in my staff to take feedback and interaction with the users which is shaping our product's future immensely. 

Thank you @stephane

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

@Stephane Lo, have you done ANY usability testing with a large number of tags, say > 1,000?

After all, Evernote does state it will support up to 100,000 tags.  Can you say, with a straight face, the EN Win will actually do this?

The old design of the Tags View was poor, but this is a disaster for management of a large number of tags.

IAC, please include a much functionality as you can in the right-click context menu for Tags in the Left Side Panel:

• Move to Top Level
  • Rename
  • Delete
  • Create Shortcut

• Create Tag
  • Find Tag

Like JMichaelTX I'm also kind of stunned by this respone. The more robust tagging system is what used to set Evernote apart from, for example, OneNote. Tags are a much more powerful organizing principle than folders, but it seems Evernote is not appreciating / dogfooding this aspect as much as you'd expect. This was already visible in for instance the problematic handling of tags when sharing notes with other users. The current development is really concerning to me and makes me wonder about Evernote's vision for the product. I migrated to Evernote from Lotus Notes (which has a solid multi-user tagging system). I was really hoping not to have to go through another migration any time soon again.

• Like 2

Is there any way to show the reminder date in list view instead of the date the reminder was created?

37 minutes ago, rmw1 said:

Is there any way to show the reminder date in list view instead of the date the reminder was created?

Right click the list view header to choose the list view columns, all three dates associated with reminders are available there.

If you lost saved searches (from version 5.9) - how to rebuild? With the old database (and a SQLite tool)?

If you lost saved searches (from version 5.9) - how to rebuild? With the old database (and a SQLite tool

Your saved searches are not lost, they are still there in your database. The hot fix release we're preparing will expose them in the left panel. Please stay tuned and don't try to recreate them. If you need your saved searches right now, please PM me.

• Like 2

Just now, kvitekp said:

Your saved searches are not lost, they are still there in your database. The hot fix release we're preparing will expose them in the left panel. Please stay tuned and don't try to recreate them. If you need your saved searches right now, please PM me.

Great! Thank you for your fast response!

2 hours ago, Bartm said:

Like JMichaelTX I'm also kind of stunned by this respone. The more robust tagging system is what used to set Evernote apart from, for example, OneNote. Tags are a much more powerful organizing principle than folders, but it seems Evernote is not appreciating / dogfooding this aspect as much as you'd expect. This was already visible in for instance the problematic handling of tags when sharing notes with other users. The current development is really concerning to me and makes me wonder about Evernote's vision for the product. I migrated to Evernote from Lotus Notes (which has a solid multi-user tagging system). I was really hoping not to have to go through another migration any time soon again.

Please keep these comments coming -- we feel your pain and will act to resolve the problem. The EN5 Tag View was dropped not because we underestimate tags usefulness, but because we felt it's not good enough.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2016 at 2:00 AM, kvitekp said:

Soon there will be a way to search everything again better than before. Hint: check a new feature recently added to the Mac version.

For us non Mac users, how can we see that new feature?
I am really missing ALL of the dropdown options that used to appear in the search bar. The new options are nowhere near as useful to me so I'm really hoping that what we get is least as good and as easy to use as what we've lost.

15 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Thank you, works very nicely!  :D

15 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Looks like a bug to me -- expected behavior is: if the note is found in the currently selected context, the context should stay intact.Otherwise the context should be cleared and set to All Notes. Thank you for reporting.

I just verified to be sure I was in all notes before I selected the shortcut.  Context changed to the notebook of the note, so yes a bug. . 

It would be very nice if the styling options now available to tag and notebook names could also be extended to shortcut names as well.  That would also provide consistency in the left hand panel.  All three major sections would then have style controls.

6 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

It would be very nice if the styling options now available to tag and notebook names could also be extended to shortcut names as well.  That would also provide consistency in the left hand panel.  All three major sections would then have style controls.

Yup, this is a bug, thank you for reporting.

Right click the list view header to choose the list view columns, all three dates associated with reminders are available there.

Thanks for the prompt response...loving new UI

2 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Please keep these comments coming -- we feel your pain and will act to resolve the problem. The EN5 Tag View was dropped not because we underestimate tags usefulness, but because we felt it's not good enough.

I understand that there were problems with the Tag View, but I found it extremely helpful for managing my 1600 tags. If you need guidance on how to improve it, put it back into the beta version, and I am sure you will get lots of feedback. For example, the ability to right click on a tag and assign it to a parent tag would be a great asset. The ability to have "same name" tags under two or more parent tags would also be very useful. In the meantime, the speed of searching with multiple tags is an OK workaround.

• Like 1

On 2016/4/22 at 0:52 AM, Frank.dg said:

Have you tried working from the left panel and expanding nested tag hierarchies there? You can now color your tags , which may help to easily locate certain nested hierarchies visually... or you could perform a search rather quickly by either clicking on your tag icon in the left panel, using  Alt+F2/ Shift+Alt+T... or clicking on the tag icon in the note toolbar's search explanation.

Thanks, but I want to view more tags at a same time.

14 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

• Move to Top Level
  • Rename
  • Delete
  • Create Shortcut

• Create Tag
  • Find Tag

@JMichaelTX , I agree with you that "The old design of the Tags View was poor, but this is a disaster for management of a large number of tags." While the number of notes increases, the more number of tags are created, and need the "All Tags" page more.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cao Yi said:

While the number of notes increases, the more number of tags are created.....

Not necessarily in all use cases. ;)

IAC, I agree 100% that a simpler process to manage tags would be beneficial to some.

• Like 1

The one issue I am seeing is that my "styles" are not syncing from one windows machine to another. For example, I made one notebook name purple and bold, but it has not shown up on my other windows pc. This is the same with tags as well. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Edited by fierylevi
fixed grammar. "issues" to "issue"

Version 6.05 = saved searches = absolutly great!!! Thank you for your fantastic job - fast as lightning! :-)

• Like 1

EVER-TERRIBLE...AGAIN...GEEZ....

It's bad enough that things were "STRIPPED"....just to show how smart the programmers are????  Atlas?, Tag Page?...etc., and nerds need not attack.  This is just a rant to get a good program better, but it keeps getting knocked down, and then the regular cheerleaders come and blow up the heads of the team, letting them think they are moving right along.  I have been using EN for years, and rarely, if ever complain, but reading other folks who complain about similar features, fixes, and more, seems to be ignored, unless the NEEDED updates that are requested are behind the scenes.  PAY ATTENTION TO THE INTERFACE!!!!

>Printing? - Super thick borders on pages at print time (especially lousy when trying to print pdf's), can't adjust or remove, etc...so printing an ORIGINAL document is nearly impossible at it's ORIGINAL SIZE???...hasn't been fixed yet...geez. No DEFAULT Printer setting...keep having to choose??? A user should not have to open up different programs and print outside of EN?! This is EN specific...not a result of scanning or the wrong printer settings, etc. Background graphics in notes or webclippings not working either. What's the use of scanning and importing to later print if you can't print the original document as shown?  EN desktop seems to put the white background of the note window in the item being printed, instead of just printing the document only...making the document either resize smaller to fit in excess white borders, docs shift to left side, etc., leaving nearly two inches of "white space" on the right side of documents to be printed.  Whether it's a pdf, a pic, or an imported document, note, etc...it happens all the time and never fixed.  I emailed years ago about it and it was never fixed.  Very frustrating. PLZzzzz Fix!

>Interface? - Super white, everywhere.  No color/shade/skin options...no icons for notebooks, nothing. Win10 apps are bad enough, this is a let down...at LEAST a dark or dark grey option...come on?!

>Encryption? - Can't encrypt a notebook?...right click encrypt?, I'm scared to use this in public for documents that have sensitive info, anybody can be looking over your shoulders...at least to encrypt some notebooks and leave others open, etc.  No internal security at all.

>Notebook Name under Note Title - what happened?  Can't tell the titles from tags now, with the "blue" background.  The Notebook Names should be of different color background or at least bold font by default....

I'm sure somebody will try to break down why I'm wrong, etc..but I don't care.  These are just a tidbit of reasonable improvements IMO, that should have been "done".  but the printing is really frustrating....yes, some folks, especially in the legal business, may need a hard copy or printout of a document, etc.  These are some items that needs to be addressed asap...not counting the ones mentioned in the posts above.  PLEASE fix the printing at least! ;)

If you can't or won't add encryption, at least add a password feature to the windows desktop version, like android.  The notetaking session, at least for the windows desktop version, should have more word proccessing features, functions and appearance, especially when the note is open.  Thx

*If any of you folks can tell me how to get EN to print properly, (original document size), without all of the excess border space, and shrinking of the document on the page to accommodate the excess space, I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

Not necessarily in all use cases. ;)

IAC, I agree 100% that a simpler process to manage tags would be beneficial to some.

Yes, simpler is better.

But the "All Tags" page is simpler than the dropdown list for me.

Many of my notes have multi tags, and 3000+ notes are created. The hundreds tags are hard to manage now.

22 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Not sure what the problem is, however you may want to try uninstalling 5.9 before installing V6.

Thanks.   Having read the various comments and feedback to this thread I will stick to 5.9 for the time being.

I will also wait to see if the actual reason for my problem is understood.  I am aware of the common general fix principle of uninstalling first but that always bothers me, when it is not stated as being necessary but an install-over-the-top goes wrong. It suggests a lack of full understanding by the programmer(s).  If I was a programmer I think I would ensure a "clean install" by including an automatic prior uninstall as part of the install, but I repeat I am not a programmer and no doubt there is more to it than I know about..  

I have found an old post with the same error messages* as mine and the solutions were all of the "workaround" type so I am disappointed it is still happening with the latest version.

*The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable
The file "C:\Users\stephen\AppData\Local\Temp' is not a valid installation package for the product Evernote v 5.8.1. Try to find the installation package Evernote.msi in a folder from which you can install Evernote v. 5.8.1.
The older version of Evernote v 5.8.4 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.
(.\Bootstrapper.cpp:915) Ox643:fatal error during installation.

He also said "I backed up my existing data files to another folder, then tried to uninstall my current Evernote. When I clicked Uninstall, the exact same error messages came up."

• Like 1

Please return back the Shortcuts toolbar that does not competes with the menu toolbar for limiting space. It defeats the purpose of having shortcuts. Thank you.

121233.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Krunoslav said:

Please return back the Shortcuts toolbar that does not competes with the menu toolbar for limiting space. It defeats the purpose of having shortcuts. Thank you.

121233.jpg

I have too many shortcuts to put on even a full line of the screen. For this reason, I like the new capability of putting the shortcuts on the left panel where I can sort them, so that the most frequently-used items will appear on the screen where I can quickly access them. I can also look for searches that I have done in the past and copy the search terms to a new search and modify it to get what I am now looking for. If your example is how you name your shortcuts, I would work on reducing the length of them so that I could get more on the toolbar... but maybe that is just me?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FactMan said:

I have too many shortcuts to put on even a full line of the screen. For this reason, I like the new capability of putting the shortcuts on the left panel where I can sort them, so that the most frequently-used items will appear on the screen where I can quickly access them. I can also look for searches that I have done in the past and copy the search terms to a new search and modify it to get what I am now looking for. If your example is how you name your shortcuts, I would work on reducing the length of them so that I could get more on the toolbar... but maybe that is just me?

Actually the naming would be nice if we could change them in the toolbar. They are simply the names of the notebooks. I have a rigid folder/file or notebook/notes structure but there are many notebooks so I use shortcuts for some of them. The names are long because its the way to keep a description in the title like you would with your folders on your hard drive. The problem is with them being in the left panel is that I have to scroll up and down the folder structure to get to the shortcut, which makes it anything but shortcut.
(see the image bellow.)

There is panty of room to make shortcut panel be another row below the menu panel. After all, that is what it was in the last Evernote version. And pretty much all browsers have this, so why deviate from that convention to something that makes it less than it was before. Boggles the mind. I don't know who came up with that idea or why but it, makes no sense from an user experience point of view. Its not like they didn't have enough time or forums to ask people what to use, maybe they simply forgot to take note of all the feedback. Hmmm.

P.S.
Here is a thought. There are apparently 150 mil users of Evernote. Why not just leave simple things to be customizable and you make everyone happy, let people customize panels to their liking. Its been done before, and it works well. Why do we have to change things based on design and not user experience? Its not like the Evernote team didn't have access to its users or information from other projects. This has been discussed in forums before when Evernote was in beta stage. But sometimes it just seems Evernote will be Evernote, no matter what the users say.

sshot-3.jpg

11062261_1594891967425740_6495411286309207457_n.jpg

3 hours ago, Cao Yi said:

Yes, simpler is better.

Many of my notes have multi tags, and 3000+ notes are created. The hundreds tags are hard to manage now.

I'm agreeing with you for your use case.  :)

• Like 1

2016 0424 093807_cr.png

adding tag to note, not all tags with "disk" found

2016 0424 094041.png

find all notes with "disk" tag, all variants found

Any shortcut to expand/collapse in tag list (sidebar) all hierarchical tag levels in one step?

After the release of Windows Evernote 6 I decided to end my experience with Evernote. You can no longer use it effectively. The new software is full of bugs and I doubt that you can solve by putting the pieces. I do not lengthen the premium subscription. I have migrated all about OneNote. I am very disappointed.

Wow. Bugs can and are being fixed. I for one see unprecedented dialogue on these issues in a very transparent way. I've also picked up a term which is sort of new to me: Hotfix. 

3 hours ago, HerbyDE said:

Any shortcut to expand/collapse in tag list (sidebar) all hierarchical tag levels in one step?

Not at this point. Are you looking for something like right click on Tags item / Expand All / Collapse all ?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, giogio80 said:

After the release of Windows Evernote 6 I decided to end my experience with Evernote. You can no longer use it effectively. The new software is full of bugs and I doubt that you can solve by putting the pieces. I do not lengthen the premium subscription. I have migrated all about OneNote. I am very disappointed.

Sad to see you going. Would you mind listing top 3 reasons that made your use of Evernote inefficient?

7 hours ago, askswap said:

2016 0424 093807_cr.png

adding tag to note, not all tags with "disk" found

2016 0424 094041.png

find all notes with "disk" tag, all variants found

Note tag adder has "auto complete" semantics which is based on prefix search: you start typing and the system helps you by suggesting tags that start with the characters you've typed.

Search tag adder has "substring search" semantics that matches typed characters anywhere in the tag name.

10 hours ago, csihilling said:
13 hours ago, Cao Yi said:

Yes, simpler is better.

I'm agreeing with you for your use case.  :)

Keep pushing -- we're listening, you know ;)

12 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Keep pushing -- we're listening, you know ;)

In that case: yes please! :)

22 hours ago, FactMan said:

I understand that there were problems with the Tag View, but I found it extremely helpful for managing my 1600 tags. If you need guidance on how to improve it, put it back into the beta version, and I am sure you will get lots of feedback. For example, the ability to right click on a tag and assign it to a parent tag would be a great asset. The ability to have "same name" tags under two or more parent tags would also be very useful. In the meantime, the speed of searching with multiple tags is an OK workaround.

For starters -- did you find left/right scrolling of the EN5 Tag View helpful or confusing?

I'm sorry to be such a whiner about the new way of handling tags. But I'm really starting to miss how the old search box worked. You could just start to type in the name of a tag and a list of applicable tags would appear. So nice and easy. Now, the search box only works for text searches. Sure, I know you can still search for tags. But it's way more cumbersome now. You either have to go to the Tags label in the left pane - which for me often involves scrolling up multiple pages because I have so many tags. Or you can expand the search box, click on the tags icon and search for a tag that way. But this involves more clicks than necessary in my opinion, plus the expanded search box takes up too much real estate anyway (what's the use case for being informed all-the-frikkin'-time about how many documents in the trash can fit your search criteria???). 

I know the old design wasn't perfect, but it was sooo much more efficient. The new design is prettier, but I would gladly trade it in for the old. This is, after all, supposed to be a productivity tool, right? Could we at least have a super-quick way to search for tags back? Thanks!

PS: thanks for bringing back saved searches, that was awesome!

• Like 1

Hello.
Side panel (left) looks good with a minimalist form. I do not understand, when you click on the icon pops up search notebooks.
Better when you click on the notepad icon leaves the panel and when you click on the bookmark panel is hidden. Thus did in the Web version.

Hi, the new look is a huge improvement overall, but some of the long-anticipated changes (coloured tags, of course) have left me rather more frustrated than satisfied: Would it really have been such a big deal to put a customizable colour picker in there? Analogous to Microsoft Word, I imagine Evernote is used by creative people just as much as people in business / people requiring basic uncluttered functionality, and Microsoft Word does a good job of catering to both: Here's a basic selection of well-defined colour options to choose from, plus a simple button to define and set any colour at all! 

Also, on a similar point, it would be nice to have the option to customise the interface generally, to choose a different background colour, especially for the left side-panel so that some of those colours stand out more clearly. But really that should be a no-brainer; for too long Evernote has been a dinosaur in terms of customising how it looks (vitally important for anyone who invests - creatively or personally - in a notebook), and this update - while a sorely needed first step - has just served to impress on me how far there is to go, and how unremarkable Evernote is in this respect.

Finally, a tiny suggestion: I love the colours along the top of the notes in the note list, indicating the tags, but the left hand side border is crying out to be coloured also to indicate the colour of the parent Notebook; i.e. would be lovely to have a quick visual indication of the parent notebook as well as the tags. Perhaps now, with such ideas in mind, you get some idea why a palette of 10 simple colours comes off as more than a bit - frustrating.

• Like 1

Triste VEDERE Andare. Ti dispiacerebbe Elenco dei Principali 3 Motivi Che Hanno reso l'utilizzo SETTORE di Evernote inefficiente?

1. Lost notes

2. formatting text suddenly disappeared

3. Synchronization between platforms do not work (the tags created in this version is no longer synchronized with Android)

4. new left sidebar does not convince me

5. Persists the absence of hierarchical organization between the notes (available only giving the same extravagant names, preceded by numbers and letters, OneNote, albeit limited, too, but at least something has)

6. I find insufficient the organization through notebooks and stacks. Sometimes I would need to sub-notebooks and sub-stack

7. Evernote Windows suffers always the problem of wide fonts. Even this version has solved. And it is a problem Evernote because with OneNote you see very well.

2 minutes ago, Bartm said:

I'm sorry to be such a whiner about the new way of handling tags. But I'm really starting to miss how the old search box worked. You could just start to type in the name of a tag and a list of applicable tags would appear. So nice and easy. Now, the search box only works for text searches. Sure, I know you can still search for tags. But it's way more cumbersome now. You either have to go to the Tags label in the left pane - which for me often involves scrolling up multiple pages because I have so many tags. Or you can expand the search box, click on the tags icon and search for a tag that way. But this involves more clicks than necessary in my opinion, plus the expanded search box takes up too much real estate anyway (what's the use case for being informed all-the-frikkin'-time about how many documents in the trash can fit your search criteria???). 

I know the old design wasn't perfect, but it was sooo much more efficient. The new design is prettier, but I would gladly trade it in for the old. This is, after all, supposed to be a productivity tool, right? Could we at least have a super-quick way to search for tags back? Thanks!

PS: thanks for bringing back saved searches, that was awesome!

This is exactly what I'm thinking - I was starting to think I was the only one. In EN5 the search bar was to me a central hub to access everything I needed. Saved searches, recent searches & search suggestions, and the ability to jump straight to notebooks and tags as you type, were all available in a dropdown from the one single search bar. Now its gone.

Okay, so saved searches are back, but they are now at the bottom of my list of notebooks and tags - only the trash is harder to reach - and yes I can still search for notebooks and tags, but not directly from the search bar without typing out notebook: or tag:. Nothing is to logically to hand any more.

A classic case of style over substance in my view. All white looks pretty, but I need visual references to get my bearings and find things. Without contrast this interface is an absolute nightmare to use: the search bar blends into the reminders list which blends into the note list and the note title is lost in the toolbar (and doesn't show the whole title on a small screen device unless you don't have any tools in the toolbar).

I used to enjoy using Evernote but now it's now a constant source of frustration as common tasks are more fiddly and time consuming.

I've lived with a couple of major issues since December (syncing errors on my windows desktop which I was told should be fixed in the next major release (it wasn't) and cannot use the camera of my Lumia 950 phone to scan in documents - still no ETA for a fix), not to mention the issue where the windows store touch client wrecks all formatting of notes. This might well be the final straw for me and I'm currently watching Onenote tutorials.

Not at this point. Are you looking for something like right click on Tags item / Expand All / Collapse all ?

keyboard shortcut would be very nicy - something like "Alt + F9" Expand all Tags/Collapse all Tags and "Alt + F10" same thing for notebooks or so ...

• Like 1

On 4/23/2016 at 2:42 PM, HerbyDE said:

Version 6.05 = saved searches = absolutly great!!! Thank you for your fantastic job - fast as lightning! :-)

Well, almost back.  Still can't type in the search box and have saved or recent searches appear as in 5.9.  Particular PITA for for those of us who don't use EN with the left panel closed,  :(

I do like the new sliver left panel, means I never have to open the left panel to empty trash again.  :)

EDIT:  My bad.  I just noticed the search magnifying glass in the left hand sliver.  Not quite the same as typing in the search bar to get to the saved search but much easier.  So the full PITA is no more, but a small annoyance remains not being able to search for the saved searches..

Not sure the tag filtering system is as good as the previous one. Or: I can't figure out the tag button in the Note List pane AT ALL.

I have exactly 1 note in my database that has both the "recipes" and "cats" tag.

I used to click the tag icon under the bar in the Note List and select the "recipes" tag.
From the resulting drop-down filtered list I would select the "cats" tag.
Bingo. Go to kitchen and make felines happy. 

Now? Uh-hum.

I clicked the tag icon and selected recipes.  I got this.

See attached image (I could not see how to insert it inline)

Ok, that's different. So it isn't a drop-down anymore. But that isn't the only difference. Cats doesn't shop up in this list. I think this might be displaying the nested items under my "recipes" tag instead of all notes that include the tag "recipes".  That isn't so great.  Anyway, let's see what happens when I click the tag icon again to select "cats".

Not good.  Exact same list of tags as above with 2 differences:
  1. the cats tag is also included and
  2. the Any was changed to be "All".

And of course no notes were found.
I don't even bother changing "All" to "Any" because that would be like searching for the word "the".

Seems to me the only way I can get both "recipes" and "cats" to work now is to
  1. go through this list of tags and delete each of the tags one by one except for recipes and cats, which is crazy, or
  2. just don't use this method at all and revert to the old search for tag:recipes tag:cats.  NOt the best option when you really DO want to filter tags.

I hope it is a bug and not another design choice.

evernotev6catfoodrecipe.png

8 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Are you looking for something like right click on Tags item / Expand All / Collapse all ?

Yes!  It would be very helpful to have these options at the top level "Tag" icon (to expand/collapse all tags), and on any tag that has child tags to expand/collapse the hierarchy under that tag.

So to be clear, we would have two ways to show/hide tags in the Left Sidebar:

1. Click on the ▶ button to show or hide the hierarchy under that tag, but retain how the user has shown or hid any sub-tags
    1. Initially, it would just show the next level of tags, and NOT expand any sub-tags.
  2. Right-click on the Tag to fully expand, or fully collapse the entire hierarchy under that Tag.

This would be so powerful.

Does this make sense?

• Like 1

Surely I am just not seeing something here.

How can I view my tag hierarchies?  I spent an awful lot of time sticking tags under a "recipes" heading, and a "when" heading and a "film" heading and I can't see how to get those hierarchical views back.

I select tags in the left pane and they are alphabetical ONLY.

how do you go back to a previous note when you get there from a hyperlink in a previous note? THere used to be a set of <> buttons to move back and forth between notes reviewed. With 6.0.5 I am having to research for the original note. Am I missing it?

12 minutes ago, lisec said:

Surely I am just not seeing something here.

How can I view my tag hierarchies?  I spent an awful lot of time sticking tags under a "recipes" heading, and a "when" heading and a "film" heading and I can't see how to get those hierarchical views back.

I select tags in the left pane and they are alphabetical ONLY.

my hierarchy is there in 6.0.5. I do know that the hierarchy is destroyed if you import from an ENEX file - those aren't stored in an export, only on the server. Assuming though that you didn't purge your data and restore with an ENEX file, they should be there. If not, contact support as it sounds like a specific issue and not someting 6.0.5 is missing.

23 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Yes!  It would be very helpful to have these options at the top level "Tag" icon (to expand/collapse all tags), and on any tag that has child tags to expand/collapse the hierarchy under that tag.

So to be clear, we would have two ways to show/hide tags in the Left Sidebar:

1. Click on the ▶ button to show or hide the hierarchy under that tag, but retain how the user has shown or hid any sub-tags
    1. Initially, it would just show the next level of tags, and NOT expand any sub-tags.
  2. Right-click on the Tag to fully expand, or fully collapse the entire hierarchy under that Tag.

This would be so powerful.

Does this make sense?

Or just use the * key when on any major level or top level. That would mirror the Windows * key behavior in Windows Explorer.

Yeah, saved searches needs to be near, if not in, the search bar. I can type in a search here, or I can scroll down 3 pages to find a saved search, then scroll back up to see the results. Also, converting the search to plain English isn't helpful. Just populate the search bar with the text of the search criteria. In that way, it is easy to change a saved search on the fly. This was very much not broken.