Feature: iOS word count

Jake Drum

Idea

I would very much appreciate a word count when using Evernote on my iOS devices, please. Really, I would like that. Makes it quite difficult if you're writing for a purpose to not have a word count on the iOS versions. 
Is this being considered? If not why not?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 replies to this idea

I agree totally that it would be very helpful.  For anyone that is a serious writer we need to know wordcounts and since Evernote does offer blogs on how to use the program to write a book it seems like a natural request.  Besides it seems ios is the only platform where it is not available. 

• Like 2

Has there been any progress on getting a word count for the iOS version of Evernote? I have been using Evernote for almost the entire time it has existed, and remember early on that people expressed the desire for a word count. The Windows version has one, after all.

And, I also agree that if you are a creative involved in writing, a word count is quite useful. I would also imagine it would be useful for students who need to adhere to word length requirements.

It would be nice to not have to copy and paste the file into Word or Open Office to see what the word count is. Hope this gets added into an update at some point.

• Like 1

I think the company is missing the point here. I too would like a word count, despite the current vote count being just 3 currently.

The point is that we do not use Evernote on one platform. A good experience would be helped by standardising the interface, as far as possible, on all platforms.

I have an iPhone and iPad, both iOS. To add a note on my iPad the '+' is on the left, on the iPhone it is at the bottom. I can't believe that there is a reasonable explanation for this difference.

I also use a Mac, and I can get a word count, but I can't on my iPad when I am travelling.

For work I have to have a Windows PC, unfortunately. They differences between windows and Mac OS are crazy, you'd think it was a different app. For example my saved searches are on the bar on the left on the PC. I have to click in the search box on my Mac. I can move tags in to different sub-groups in the left hand bar on the PC, but have to click on tags on the PC to open them in full screen to move them around. Even the 'New Note' button is positioned differently which is very disorientating.

I love Evernote, but I am forced to use different systems. It is like the different platforms have their own development team that do not talk to each other. Please make it simple. Start with the word count on iOS.

I write for a living. Word count is essential to nearly every writing project I undertake. Whether it's web content, an article for publication, a book I'm the middle of writing, a live talk, or just about anything else other than a personal journal entry, word count is essential. Not only do I often have to meet or stay within word limits, word count helps me gauge how long it will take to speak the words I'm writing. It seems impossible to me, too, that this is a feature that needs to be discussed and voted on in order to be implemented. It's a core feature of any writing app I've ever used - except for Evernote on iOS. My iPad would replace my notebook computer the moment this basic feature is implemented.

Yes, please! I would love it too. In addition to the reasons listed above,  a word count would be wonderful for people doing the "Morning Pages" as described in the book, The Artist's Way. It calls for writing 3 pages in the morning, or about 750 words, so that's another use writers would have for a word count feature. 

Among general notes I will write in Evernote what may become an article. It’s useful to know the word count. I can play with a theme of a piece, edit text, move text around, reorder words and paragraphs. All in Evernote. If I had a word count that would be enormously helpful to this task. A 200 or 1500 word limit changes the way I’ll approach the text. Especially on the iPad. 

Is it a difficult code to write to create a word count? 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Jake Drum said:

Is this being considered? If not why not?

If this feature request gets enough votes i'm sure it will be considered a priority.

This seems to be a niche requirement - can you expand on the need for a word count feature.

Thanks for your comment.

Reason for wanting to know word count? Because I write for publication and must stick to a specified word count. I'm curious that you feel this is niche, seems quite normal to me. Anyway, maybe other apps do this, just a matter of convenience as I like to use Evernote. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Sebastian_Stuertz said:

Is this so hard to implement?

I wouldn’t think so.  Just a question of priorities.

You can indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.  Current vote count is 3

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2017-11-04 at 12:39 PM, KeithPublic said:

this is a feature that needs to be discussed and voted on in order to be implemented

You can indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons in the top corner

>>I write for a living. 

I'm thinking "notes" is not the best editor/format for serious writing

>>It's a core feature of any writing app I've ever used

For me. word count is not too important in my notes, but I know I its available in word processing documents.
I use Word/Pages, and store the documents as attachments to the note