reset tag smart filing

mwang

Hi,

I have a database with about 20k notes, about 3/4 of which used to be tagged with "dec.2000", short for "decade 2000s". (I clip news related to my research interests, hence the large number of notes.) As a result, Evernote web clipper almost always puts "dec.2000" in there when the "tag smart filing" option is enabled.

I decided to remove the "dec.2000" tag completely (gone from the tag list, not just from all the notes) about a week ago. (Long story: I in fact tag the news with the year--not decade--of publication. The decade tags were added automatically by Devonthink before moving to Evernote since I group the year tags under the decade tags. I wish Evernote could do that someday since it makes tagging and searching for a group of tags much easier.)

After one week, however, Evernote web clipper still insists on tagging every other note with "dec.2000".

My question is: is there a way to stop the clipper from doing that? Is there a way to tell it that the tag is no longer in use? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the clipper, to no avail. I've peeked inside Firefox's prefs.js, and couldn't find anything relevant. I use the clipper with Firefox, Chrome and Safari on Macs (OS X 10.11.4).

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Would this be controlled by the auto-filing setting in your personal settings?

My solution would be to disable the feature until a new filing standard is set up.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, mwang said:

I can only enable/disable the feature there. There is no reset button. Or am I missing something? 

It is not clear how Evernote smart filing works.  They could keep data in the browser cookies, or in your account in the EN Cloud.  I don't know any reset that would clear this data.

I suspect that just by deleting the suggested tags, and manually adding the tags you want, the EN Clipper will soon "learn" your new tagging preferences.  That is what I experienced when I did a major reorg of my account.

7 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

It is not clear how Evernote smart filing works.  They could keep data in the browser cookies, or in your account in the EN Cloud.  I don't know any reset that would clear this data.

I suspect that just by deleting the suggested tags, and manually adding the tags you want, the EN Clipper will soon "learn" your new tagging preferences.  That is what I experienced when I did a major reorg of my account.

The "cookies" suggestion is a nice thought. Cleaned my Chrome cookies (and cache/history and every thing else I can purge from the preferences) and still got the same result, unfortunately. I even tried starting both Firefox and Chrome with a new (empty) profile and still got the same result. So I guess it's something associated with my account in the Cloud.

It's still odd even if that's the case, however, considering that the particular tag had been renamed twice a few weeks before being eliminated: from "2000s" to "decade.2000" and then "dec.2000". With each rename (done in the standalone client) the EN Clipper picked up the new term as soon as the change was sync'ed to the cloud. That suggests the Clipper is working with "live" tag dataset (what's actually in my database) instead of working from "experience" (what I choose to tag when using the Clipper), doesn't it?

In addition, even if the Clipper is learning from my past input, it should not suggest "dec.2000" either since, as I said, the tag is for old news published in the last decade. As I was slowly moving from Devonthink to Evernote over the last full months, almost all new clips I've made are current news, so I almost never manually tag anything with "dec.2000". It's another hint that EN is basing its tag suggestions with the actual tagging system in my database (wherein a large portion of notes were tagged with "dec.2000"). It therefore puzzling that it's not picking up the fact that a tag is no longer alive.

Hope, as you suggest, EN Clipper would eventually "learn". In fact, that's why I waited for a week before asking. Guess I'll just have to wait longer. Thank you for trying to help anyway.

Turns out I didn't kill those decade tags cleanly enough. (Long story short: a sleeping notebook had some unsync'ed new/modified notes still tagged with those, and they were sync'ed after I removed those tags from the desktop.) After those tags are truly gone, EN Clipper has stopped suggesting them.

It's my own oversight. My apologies.

Archived